Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Finally, a skyrim mod worth downloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Crain posted:

I assume the refuge live stream is dead?

DFB puts up an update video every once in a while.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Crabtree posted:

They didn't really have lives to begin with, but I'd appreciate anyone with more legal knowledge than I (any) could draft up even a small list of the poo poo in their hopefully not too distant future.

I need to find it but there was a laundry list read out by a state official at one of the town meetings- Off the top of my head:

So far: Federal conspiracy to impede officers

Potentially for anyone there as a party: Conspiracy, vandalism, trespass, damage to property, damage to archaeological sites, conversion of federal government vehicles and other property, Charges relating to inciting violence and disorder

For some individuals individuals: possession of marijuana, illegal explosives, various kinds of firearms offences probably some illegal mods or whatever in there.

EorayMel posted:

Finally, a skyrim mod worth downloading.

This whole scenario was actually made for a Metal Gear Solid V mod.

FBI is only getting an A at this point, S is fulton-extractioning all of the leadership without any fatalities

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZx2zJxW0AECOPO.png

looks like we might get death video

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Yaaaaaaaay I just want to see them head that poo poo off at the pass.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

The guberment's mind control rays at work.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Oh man, if amazon actually had drone delivery right now, and there wasn't an FBI no-fly zone over the refuge...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh it was SWAT that got him? We're probably going to get multiple angles even

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Fucckkkkkkkk lol

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It would be difficult to use the federal murder statute because the offense was not committed within the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the United States. In addition, the federal felony murder statute is not really written as broadly as some states that make co-perpetrator deaths easy to charge as felony murders. The Oregon statute also does not provide for felony murder charges for co-conspirators.

There remain many charges that can be brought. My guess (without combing the statutes exhaustively) is that weapons and explosives charges will provide the longest terms of imprisonment, and are the likeliest route to mandatory minimums.

The real money questions are twofold:

Whether they can elevate the conspiracy to bread and butter terrorism charges such as conspiring to use a destructive device (quite possible given reports of explosives), and whether sentences will run concurrently or consecutively. The latter question is one of the few areas of federal sentencing law that are left to the substantial discretion of the district court. In that sense, it is a backstop. Even if it is not possible to satisfy the elements of charges with double-digit mandatory minimums, there is little question they can nail them for a whole slew of felonies. If they can convince the district court judge to sentence consecutively, that is a good way to pile up a lot of years. That is also a way that different levels of participation can be distinguished, in addition to different charging decisions. Lower level participants may get their sentences to run concurrently while people like the Bundys themselves may be sentenced consecutively. I am not personally familiar with the district court bench in Oregon, however, if I were betting ten dollars right now, I would say that they are quite likely to be receptive to consecutive sentencing if it comes to that. In addition, to double back on the felony murder discussion, Finicum (and anyone else that may die in addition) death can be a factor in the consecutive determination. That is, a judge can pretty safely articulate that they got someone killed, and run through criteria in 18 usc 3553a and check off factors in favor of a more severe sentence.

Finally, this isn't over. If they manage to kill a fed, that act can be imputed to all members of the conspiracy and everyone is going to get loving nailed.

tldr, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat, and it will take some remarkable criminal defense work to avoid lengthy prison sentences for the core participants.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Has Sheriff Palmer said anything since poo poo went down?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
No DYB posts in the last 40 minutes. Wonder if they got drunk and sleepy or something is happening.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It gets even better for these dumbasses. It's supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon. Nothing quite like 34 degree showers to make your day really loving miserable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OAquinas posted:

It gets even better for these dumbasses. It's supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon. Nothing quite like 34 degree showers to make your day really loving miserable.

sounds like it wont even last that long.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/692573796906061824

https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/692574008290574336

https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/692574288700788737

https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/692574427695874049

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It would be difficult to use the federal murder statute because the offense was not committed within the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the United States. In addition, the federal felony murder statute is not really written as broadly as some states that make co-perpetrator deaths easy to charge as felony murders. The Oregon statute also does not provide for felony murder charges for co-conspirators.

There remain many charges that can be brought. My guess (without combing the statutes exhaustively) is that weapons and explosives charges will provide the longest terms of imprisonment, and are the likeliest route to mandatory minimums.

The real money questions are twofold:

Whether they can elevate the conspiracy to bread and butter terrorism charges such as conspiring to use a destructive device (quite possible given reports of explosives), and whether sentences will run concurrently or consecutively. The latter question is one of the few areas of federal sentencing law that are left to the substantial discretion of the district court. In that sense, it is a backstop. Even if it is not possible to satisfy the elements of charges with double-digit mandatory minimums, there is little question they can nail them for a whole slew of felonies. If they can convince the district court judge to sentence consecutively, that is a good way to pile up a lot of years. That is also a way that different levels of participation can be distinguished, in addition to different charging decisions. Lower level participants may get their sentences to run concurrently while people like the Bundys themselves may be sentenced consecutively. I am not personally familiar with the district court bench in Oregon, however, if I were betting ten dollars right now, I would say that they are quite likely to be receptive to consecutive sentencing if it comes to that. In addition, to double back on the felony murder discussion, Finicum (and anyone else that may die in addition) death can be a factor in the consecutive determination. That is, a judge can pretty safely articulate that they got someone killed, and run through criteria in 18 usc 3553a and check off factors in favor of a more severe sentence.

Finally, this isn't over. If they manage to kill a fed, that act can be imputed to all members of the conspiracy and everyone is going to get loving nailed.

tldr, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat, and it will take some remarkable criminal defense work to avoid lengthy prison sentences for the core participants.

:tipshat:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/gordonrfriedman/status/692575691720622080

or is it? :tinfoil:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean you can attribute Finnacum's death to the invasion of the refuge since he wouldn't have loving gone there if they hadn't lit up the batshitsignal via YouTube. I also hope they sit these fuckers down and put them on camera while they get shown all of the god drat media evidence against them.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jacobin posted:

I am so glad we all get to contribute to hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal law enforcement to boil down to this 'are you ok?' pity fireside session

Think of it as an investment in scientific research. Psychologists are going to reap a bonanza of knowledge from an unfiltered view of a bunch of suicidal radicals facing certain death and calmly talking to each other.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 28, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yep, they are preparing to hit them.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Real? Bullshit? Who knows

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It would be difficult to use the federal murder statute because the offense was not committed within the special maritime or territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

Wouldn't jurisdiction lie in the predicate offense occurring on federal land? Federal felony murder can be based on burglary, so if you enter an occupied dwelling with the intent to steal, you're pretty much there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

that sounds like bullshit. at "best" its maybe one car with a few rednecks.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Welp, not sleeping any time soon.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Man, just look at these guys

quote:

Ammon Bundy, one of the leaders of the armed occupation, entered the courtroom with a half smile. He calmly placed his hand on the shoulder of a U.S. marshal, who ushered Bundy to his seat in the center of the courtroom.

[...]

“To those remaining at the refuge, I love you. Let us take this fight from here,” Bundy said. “Please stand down. Go home and hug your families. This fight is ours for now in the courts. Please go home.”
Is it posturing? Does he honestly not understand he's completely hosed?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Man, just look at these guys

Is it posturing? Does he honestly not understand he's completely hosed?

he is a fundi and rich, plus a sovreign nut. he honestly thinks he can bullshit his way out of this like his dad did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Welp, not sleeping any time soon.

same. i have classes tomarrow, but i want to see if this ends.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that sounds like bullshit. at "best" its maybe one car with a few rednecks.

They're probably there to clear the lz for the navy seals

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sounds like bullshit, or it might be one of the people waiting in the wings decided to act in which case he's basically dead now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sounds like bullshit, or it might be one of the people waiting in the wings decided to act in which case he's basically dead now.

i think twitter/news would have lit up if this poo poo happend.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Well, my mother-in-law was right after all. Ritzheimer is gonna end up in jail. Need to call her and have a good laugh about this.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss
Even if there is such a thing, there is no end game where they all get killed.

If I wanted to extract them, by air is their best bet. They still highly likely to get caught, but a drat sight better than Operation Market Garden:Redneck Edition.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol it'd be pretty funny if they busted through, guns blazing and sustaining heavy casualties, only to find them passed out drunk and high around an almost dead campfire

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
why do so many people support these fuckers?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/sggutierrez/status/692572062053826560

If this is to be believed then now the only people out there are Fry and the Navy Seal who is probably an undercover agent. Also Cheech and Chong I guess.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Can't deal with living in a world where gays can marry, blacks and other minorities are going to become the majority, trans people are receiving much better treatment and religion on the decline.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's a third of a billion people in this country, anybody can find a couple thousand followers if they're on the internet.

Even then, they have to make due with shitloads of stolen Valor weekend warrior weirdos

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Very few do, but there's a lot of people in America. Also, they have the sheltering right wing of the great American chickenhawk to shelter under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

In the video an FBI agent approaches the prone Finicum. He kneels down by him and whispers into his ear "Barry Soetoro says hello. Allah Akbar" and fires two rounds into his brain stem.

• Locked thread