Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It still feels like a Homer Simpson quote: The lesson is never try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

It still feels like a Homer Simpson quote: The lesson is never try.
The ultimate lesson of the game is that Max should have stayed a weak-willed wallflower and never have helped anyone. Maturing into an outgoing, responsible, and empathetic adult just brings forth death and destruction.

It really sucks that my early fear that the game would just throw all of its coming of age story themes away and become silly David Cage style nonsense became realized.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 28, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This game did not give me what my imagination told me I was promised.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Beefstew posted:

This game did not give me what my imagination told me I was promised.
Eh, no. Like DONTNOD themselves always described this game as a coming of age story, and most of the game was all about Max becoming a mature adult, learning about responsibility through her powers and understanding other people such as saving Kate for example. A major theme of Kate's arc was that just showing you care and not standing idly by can make a difference. On the other hand the last episode goes out of its way to convey that Max was scum for trying to grow as a person and using her powers (That she never asked for by the way) to help people out.

I'm not pulling these themes and stuff out of my rear end, they're all there in the game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 28, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I get what they were going for, I just think the game fumbled the execution and it also contradicts a lot of the earlier themes.

I mean, a coming of age story where you erase all your decisions is pretty weird. They could have made an ending where neither final choice is perfect and you can't have everything WITHOUT deleting the entire game.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

MonsieurChoc posted:

I get what they were going for, I just think the game fumbled the execution and it also contradicts a lot of the earlier themes.

I mean, a coming of age story where you erase all your decisions is pretty weird. They could have made an ending where neither final choice is perfect and you can't have everything WITHOUT deleting the entire game.

Max remembers all the poo poo that happened in the good ending. So it still counts towards her character and she grows as a person.

And in the bad ending she says gently caress it, noting else matters except that one thing. So it also still counts.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Hard to believe that Mass Effect 3's ending happened four years ago. That thread is still active. Wonder where this one will be in 2019?

Except ME3's ending was genuinely horrid, discounting Citadel, which owned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you stop playing as soon as you get to the Elusive Man, Me3 has a fantastic ending.

I hate how far I looked ahead in the game, because I spoiled myself on too much, but I'm still enjoying the game for the little things. knowing who the killer is or what happend to Rachael for example doesn't ruin stuff like finding out that Chloe and Rachael were possibly closer than initially thought.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Robiben posted:

Max remembers all the poo poo that happened in the good ending. So it still counts towards her character and she grows as a person.
I thought it was already established that outside of the actual in-the-moment changing of events through the photo, she doesn't take her memories beyond that. that was what she warned chloe outside the vortex club. inconsistent writing wouldn't surprise me though!!

So the resetting of time is a complete and total reset of her memories, and Kate just survives her suicide attempt, somehow

and then when they finally get to the date and time when max made the jump, then i guess she'd get her memories back and go "WHAT THE gently caress"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 28, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wait a minute gently caress. they knew a tornado was coming and they had a loving vehicle. why did they not just loving drive away from the coast and get the gently caress out of there, why did they go to the lighthouse at all, gently caress

why didn't they scoop people up from the diner, throw them in the shelter, and then hit the fuckin road before it even hit

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 28, 2016

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Quest For Glory II posted:

I thought it was already established that outside of the actual in-the-moment changing of events through the photo, she doesn't take her memories beyond that. that was what she warned chloe outside the vortex club. inconsistent writing wouldn't surprise me though!!

Nah, she gets her memories back when it hits the "present" which is just before the funeral.

wait a minute gently caress. they knew a tornado was coming and they had a loving vehicle. why did they not just loving drive away from the coast and get the gently caress out of there, why did they go to the lighthouse at all, gently caress

why didn't they scoop people up from the diner, throw them in the shelter, and then hit the fuckin road before it even hit

Man why didn't this group of young people just leave the haunted mansion? The ghost is clearly real and not just a legend like they thought!

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

why did they go to the lighthouse at all

To this point, Max sees it in her visions and assumes (correctly) that it's safe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Robiben posted:

To this point, Max sees it in her visions and assumes (correctly) that it's safe.
But in the vision the lighthouse gets destroyed and falls on top of her

That's literally how the game starts

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

JVNO posted:

Imagine you sink a lot of effort into an RPG, powering up your characters for the final confrontation. You've really invested in your characters and the effort of preparing for this confrontation.

The ironic thing is is that you literally do nothing to prepare yourself for the final confrontation. Zero effort is put into figuring out what the tornado is or why it's happening. Birds and whales are dying and all you do is think "weird poo poo is weird". The game doesn't give you the option of "help Chloe find Rachael" or "figure out tornado vision". The end result is the same though: being with Chloe or stopping tornado.

I guess I can see why people are upset they didn't make the endings more unique. You do spend a lot of emotional effort making your own Max and it'd be nice to see payoff from that. How they actually would have implemented it I have no idea, given the ending options.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Robiben posted:

Nah, she gets her memories back when it hits the "present" which is just before the funeral.

Yeah, why are people saying she forgets everything that happened?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I guess the lack of choices in the ending never bothered me because I played The Walking Dead which has a similar situation of your choices not really effecting the plot at all, so it didn't concern me much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Glagha posted:

I guess the lack of choices in the ending never bothered me because I played The Walking Dead which has a similar situation of your choices not really effecting the plot at all, so it didn't concern me much.

In The Walking Dead your choices are at least acknowledged. In LIS nothing ever mattered, especially if you save the town.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Found the Simpsons quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVNuyfhF0Q

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

If we're playing that game, why didn't Max send out a five-day apocalypse forecast via time magic? She can also teleport, so it's not like it's impossible for her to show off her powers in an easily perceptible way. It's YA fiction rules, where we can't tell the grownups because it unnecessarily complicates the story because they just don't understand.

Also, brief rundown of things people didn't like about the ending because maybe you can dislike an ending without being a big nerdchild:

-hoaky dialogue (but that's just Life is Strange)
-weird tensionless wandering with few choices
-dropped plot threads and themes (the Prescott's eeeevil ways, the apocalypse imagery, man vs. nature/corruption in Arcadia Bay)
-Max's arc: her big defining flaws are her passiveness and insecurity. She lets her friendship with Chloe wilt, she doesn't enter the contest (whose theme is about how everyday people can make an impact) out of fear of rejection, and multiple times in the game characters accuse her of not giving a poo poo and just being a busybody because she never does anything. Yet suddenly her arc is accepting that bad things happen in life...? Well that was Chloe's arc, but okay whatever we can do it again.
-Max's powers benefit literally nobody but herself. The game calls you out for using them selfishly, despite the selfless things you do with them backfiring horribly and the selfish ones having no consequence.
-Everything that Max did in the game is undone, and resolved happily without her intervention. Kate's suicidal ideation evaporates because the bad guy was caught and the body was found. Does Chloe's death affect the others? Who cares, only Max matters.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The final lesson is that you shouldn't just keep going back in time changing things when you can't fully understand the consequences. That's why the canon ending is refusing to go back again and riding off with the person you love most. Get wrecked Arcadia Bay.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I remember there being a theory I liked when the game first came out that someone earlier in the thread made. Basically the Prescotts were building poo poo and disturbing old native American sites, which leads to weird supernatural poo poo happening. The goal of the game was for Max to investigate the weird poo poo and try to fix it and restore balance or whatever to stop the tornado from destroying Arcadia Bay.

If this was a different sort of game, I would have preferred something like this, where you try to fix something, use your time travel to undo a fuckup, and then try something different. It would have given you the opportunity to be clever and provide a nice wrap up of all of your choices with various endings and whatever.

But it's not - it's about empathizing with people and experiencing what they go through. Doing it in a video game makes it much more powerful than other forms of media because you're active in that process. I feel the ultimatum that the developers give you at the end is part of that, where it's unfair to be given such a binary choice. That choice is going to be based from what you want your Max character to be.

I dunno...I do love the ending but I also do have mixed thoughts about it. Would the game be better without the stupid tornado? Probably, mostly because you don't actually do anything about it throughout the entire game and it's purpose is to serve that ultimatum at the end, which I think the devs planned from the start.

LoseHound posted:

-weird tensionless wandering with few choices
-dropped plot threads and themes (the Prescott's eeeevil ways, the apocalypse imagery, man vs. nature/corruption in Arcadia Bay)
-Max's arc: her big defining flaws are her passiveness and insecurity. She lets her friendship with Chloe wilt, she doesn't enter the contest (whose theme is about how everyday people can make an impact) out of fear of rejection, and multiple times in the game characters accuse her of not giving a poo poo and just being a busybody because she never does anything. Yet suddenly her arc is accepting that bad things happen in life...? Well that was Chloe's arc, but okay whatever we can do it again.
-Max's powers benefit literally nobody but herself. The game calls you out for using them selfishly, despite the selfless things you do with them backfiring horribly and the selfish ones having no consequence.
-Everything that Max did in the game is undone, and resolved happily without her intervention. Kate's suicidal ideation evaporates because the bad guy was caught and the body was found. Does Chloe's death affect the others? Who cares, only Max matters.

It is actually refreshing (for me at least) to have a super power you try to use "for good" and it only continually fucks things up and the only way to do good things is to stop using it.

As to Max's character development if Chloe dies during that week...I like to think that she doesn't need her power to develop self confidence with others. Chloe was able to bring that out in her when she's alive, maybe her death affecting everyone else will do something similar. Victoria was at the funeral...maybe Nathan killing Chloe brought Max and Victoria together. Maybe Max and Kate connect with each other better. Now that I think about it, it'd be interesting to have that contrast of playing the game with and without the time travel to see how much Max was able to develop.

As to weird tensionless wandering and dropped plot threads...yeah, they should have given more thought to the tornado or something more concrete I guess.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Flattened Spoon posted:

I remember there being a theory I liked when the game first came out that someone earlier in the thread made. Basically the Prescotts were building poo poo and disturbing old native American sites

Spooky Native American Burying Ground is a stupid overused cliche, imo. I'm glad they decided to pass at least on that one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, if you want that and have a PS4 play Until Dawn

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Flattened Spoon posted:

But it's not - it's about empathizing with people and experiencing what they go through.

It is actually refreshing (for me at least) to have a super power you try to use "for good" and it only continually fucks things up and the only way to do good things is to stop using it.

But that's exactly my point. Max's arc is about how she needs to step up and be a good person without powers. Kate's suicide attempt is Max learning that she shouldn't use her powers as a substitute for caring. Chloe's car accident is her learning her powers aren't a cure-all. They're a shortcut, a crutch for helping Max grow as person. But why? So she can go back to save Chloe and confront Nathan without magic? So she can expose corruption? So she can help the people around her? Nope. There's no reason Max needs to learn the lesson in such an immediate way. Or at all. She was better off doing nothing. Things happen because stuff. I would've preferred spooky Native American Tobanga magic.

Sakurazuka posted:

have a PS4 play Until Dawn

Good opinion, I agree.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If you want a spooky Native American burial ground-set choice-based adventure game, then you should play Oxenfree.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

LoseHound posted:

They're a shortcut, a crutch for helping Max grow as person. But why?

Honestly I thought it was a lesson more for the benefit of the player (people who are like Max) than Max.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think you're right. That lesson to the player would have been better with better ending options and seeing the various consequences. I just finished the game and I'm still processing it.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 28, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Flattened Spoon posted:

Honestly I thought it was a lesson more for the benefit of the player (people who are like Max) than Max.

People who are emotionally distant and afraid to reach out and connect with other humans? And the lesson was 'don't break out of your shell, it will only lead to more pain'? This game is pretty mean, wow.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

People who are emotionally distant and afraid to reach out and connect with other humans? And the lesson was 'don't break out of your shell, it will only lead to more pain'? This game is pretty mean, wow.

Where did I say "don't break out of your shell?" I said "You don't need time travel powers to talk with people".

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Flattened Spoon posted:

Where did I say "don't break out of your shell?" I said "You don't need time travel powers to talk with people".

You didn't say it, the game did.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I don't know what any of you are talking about, clearly the moral of the story is "Hey, remember all those fantasies you had about moving heaven and earth to protect your crush? Time to put your money where your mouth is, sport".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BobTheJanitor posted:

If I wanted that I'd just watch Evangelion again

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Flattened Spoon posted:

This is basically every time travel story ever

Edit: I'm gonna walk that back a bit, but it is really really common

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

RentACop posted:

This is basically every time travel story ever

Edit: I'm gonna walk that back a bit, but it is really really common

Don't read much sci fy and the only time travel story I remember is Back to the future. But I guess "don't gently caress with time" shouldn't be that surprising.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Max wouldn't have even been a good person if she didn't use her powers, she gamed the system by learning poo poo about people and then rewinding and asking them to drop their guard

If you take that away, all you have is, Max learns about people by breaking into their dorms and rifling through their poo poo. the only way Max could save Kate without powers is to invade her personal space

I don't think that's a plus point for the game's story, I just think it's more muddled message

If she keeps her memories of all her time-travelling powers after letting Chloe die, then wouldn't a tornado still eventually happen? Because she still has all this information and knowledge that she only got through time travelling. She knows about someone's mom being sick or she knows about Kate's family or she knows about David's security cameras etc etc. Unless she moves away immediately she'll end up exposing that wisdom at some point and then what happens? tornado 2?

(plus I still think the more realistic ending is that Chloe is found dead but Nathan's dad is rich and powerful enough to get his son off the hook (AFFLUENZA!!) so he never has to rat out Mr Jefferson so Mr Jefferson goes on torturing and killing people and Max ends up dead. LIFE IS WEIRD)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 28, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Max wouldn't have even been a good person if she didn't use her powers, she gamed the system by learning poo poo about people and then rewinding and asking them to drop their guard

If you take that away, all you have is, Max learns about people by breaking into their dorms and rifling through their poo poo. the only way Max could save Kate without powers is to invade her personal space

I'm willing to give the game a bit of a pass on that, because that's just standard for adventure games. Everything in the game was literally designed, crafted, and placed there so that you, the player, can poke at it and see whatever story hints it uncovers, or hear the voice actor's dialogue on what they think about it, on which good money was spent specifically so that you could listen to it. There's inevitably going to be some cognitive dissonance in scenes where the narrative is implying that you need to hurry up (while you really have infinite time to look at/listen to/eat/take every object in the room), or that you shouldn't be touching people's stuff (when really that's the only reason why the stuff exists).

And at least in the Kate scenes, you aren't breaking in and going through her things, you're actually there to talk to her and return a book, if I recall right. Sure, there's still a little dissonance in that she just sits silently willing to wait for an eternity for you to look at all her pictures and check out her computer or whatever. But at least you didn't have to bust open the lock to get in.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

BobTheJanitor posted:

Don't agree with you on that one. Without the game Max would have just been shattered by Chloe being smoked, but because she had the experiences she had she has grown as a person. Sure the week after Chloe got shot was hell for Max, but when she regains her memories she will have all the knowledge again. And also she got to spend a week with her friend/lover which is nice. And for the bad ending its even simpler, she decides she HAS to save Chloe and gently caress everything else. This is a "bad" ending because its "morally" wrong in some ways but also because she refuses to accept that things change or are out of her control. But hey who knows maybe after they leave town they live happily ever after and don't ever bring up the time a tornado killed everyone.

If she keeps her memories of all her time-travelling powers after letting Chloe die, then wouldn't a tornado still eventually happen? Because she still has all this information and knowledge that she only got through time travelling. She knows about someone's mom being sick or she knows about Kate's family or she knows about David's security cameras etc etc. Unless she moves away immediately she'll end up exposing that wisdom at some point and then what happens? tornado 2?

(plus I still think the more realistic ending is that Chloe is found dead but Nathan's dad is rich and powerful enough to get his son off the hook (AFFLUENZA!!) so he never has to rat out Mr Jefferson so Mr Jefferson goes on torturing and killing people and Max ends up dead. LIFE IS WEIRD)

In the fiction the tornado happens because of the Chloe thing, that's pretty clear. Especially if you pick the good ending which shows it being resolved. I mean she has visions about the tornado, she doesn't have visions of other tornadoes or anything like that.

And realistic ending? If you want realism Chloe probably would have taken the bullet and been alive. It was only in the gut, she would have been screaming in pain and writhing around on the floor bleeding out while Max and Nathan freaked out. Sure it may have killed her afterwards but Nathan would have been hosed.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Robiben posted:

Don't agree with you on that one. Without the game Max would have just been shattered by Chloe being smoked

No, not really. Max has a supportive and loving family and shows no signs of having ever lived through any discomfort. The death of a friend who she ignored for 5 years would be pretty awful, especially for someone as insecure as Max, but it's not like her life would turn to garbage like Chloe's. She'd grieve and maybe learn that ignoring people is not a good way to live, without solving a murder mystery and getting abducted by hipster Buffalo Bill for Trolley Problem Simulator 2013.

And we all know that Joyce is the real disaster. Her husband dies, and then her angsty daughter? While David is twenty feet away? drat. But luckily for them, the new and improved Maxine cares really hard now!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

JVNO posted:

Ideally your choices throughout the game should have impacted what ending options were available to you, and we'd receive at least a couple additional outcomes that unlocked or were locked out based on those choices. Probably beyond the scope of their budget however.

Knowing the limiting budget, I would have been happy if the endings included a few throwaway scenes or nods to things you had done throughout the game- even just small clips that may or may not appear in the ending based on your choices. But as it stands literally nothing you did mattered up until the point where you make the final decision, and that's what bugged me about the ending. Everyone dies, or you undo everything you've done. Nothing you did mattered.

Imagine you sink a lot of effort into an RPG, powering up your characters for the final confrontation. You've really invested in your characters and the effort of preparing for this confrontation. And then you discover you can't lose to the final boss (and there are no special secret bosses either! Gasp!). Wouldn't you feel a little cheated? Yu Yevon flashback

Agreed, Mass Effect 3 sucked

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I honestly don't understand this bizarre claim that "the game" is shaming you, the player, for using Max's power to better her life.
You're shown Max's character throughout the game, she's quiet, shy, and doesn't like putting herself out, and she's trying to change this, of course she's going to meet an inner demon that belittles her for her actions, she's already blaming the storm on herself.
So way to buy into selfdoubt, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If you do everything in your power to help, there's murder and (possible) suicide, and eventually the town gets wiped out. If you sit quiet and meek while your friend gets murdered, everything comes out OK without any action out of you for the rest of week. It's not exactly subtle.

• Locked thread