Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Whether feds or local one thing remains true: Law Enforcement is always far more willing to release video footage when it exonerates them.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is a fundi and rich, plus a sovreign nut. he honestly thinks he can bullshit his way out of this like his dad did.

If his dad had been arrested and processed he'd be sitting in a cell in a fedmax right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

why do so many people support these fuckers?

Libertarians, SovCits and Religious radicals all have one thing in common, disenfranchisement is someone else's fault.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
i guess i always forget just how many drat people live in the states

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

why do so many people support these fuckers?

Because people have lovely lives. Look at Tarpman. He was making money off of having foster kids. Who really wants to make a living by gaming a system in such an obtuse way? These people stake their living on dying industries like mining, logging, ranching and dune buggies. When they fail, it's usually because some regulation has rendered them obsolete or unprofitable. Rather than adapting, they blame the government. Some couldn't even adapt even if they wanted too.

There also just seems to exist this certain low-brow kind of person who just wants to be a junky dirtbag everywhere. I see it up in the Santa Cruz mountains all the time. Mansion, mansion, mansion, tarp-villa, mansion. These tarped-up shitholes have a bunch of odd rusted out cars, equipment, and maybe a trailer their crazy cousin is living on and they've illegally cut down a bunch of trees to do it too. It's messy and gross, but uncomplicated. You need to park a jeep you're going to work on, you just leave it there and no one can tell you anything. You don't have to consider what the neighbors think, you don't have to worry about building permits, you don't have to educate yourself on safety code, worry about stepping on a spotted owl or anything. Just do what you want. Simple. Of course they aren't really allowed to do this, but this crap continues to go on somehow, and if they could work it, they'd like it if no one was even allowed to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.

Yet at the same time these people come up with the most insane, convoluted, and complex conspiracy theories.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Man, just look at these guys

Is it posturing? Does he honestly not understand he's completely hosed?

He knows that if anyone shoots or kills a fed, he gets really hosed, like even worse than he is now. He also might be trying to put on a lawyer-recommended show of cooperation so that the feds are more amicable to making a deal (as he sells out everyone there).

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's kind of impressive that the FBI so mentally roke the last holdouts that they all decided that sitting in an open field around a campfire getting drunk and stoned was a good way to be ready to make their glorious last stand.

I hope some special ops guys snuck up on them all and tossed a flashback right into their little kum-bu-yah circle there. It would be just aces if the final due hards got taken alive against their will.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If i lived in Idaho id probably join the bundys just to get rid of some of the boredom

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So LaVoy wrote a book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014901Q8Q?tag=buzz0f-20

I'd advise reading the 5 star reviews. There's some troll ones, but a apparently a lot of people like it, because they totally agree with him

Though can someone explain what TEOTWAWKI means? Is it like RahoWa?

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

the final due hards

pretty good for a typo, oughtta leave it

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

So LaVoy wrote a book

I'd advise reading the 5 star reviews. There's some troll ones, but a apparently a lot of people like it, because they totally agree with him

The End Of The World As We Know It.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

twistedmentat posted:

So LaVoy wrote a book

The Bear from Star Wars?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Prester Jane posted:

God drat it, now I have that song stuck in my head. Thanks, Obama.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Lol read some of the book

who the gently caress names their son "cathy"?

Despera fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 28, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Prester Jane posted:

Ah, so RaHoWa, just without the racial things (its also racial).

amazon reviewer posted:

Book source: borrowed via Kindle Unlimited - a subscription service that I pay a monthly fee to Amazon.

The basic plotline is that there's been some kind of nuclear attack on the US. If it was mentioned who the attacking country was, I missed it since I don't recall any mention. Anyhow, events take place mostly in the the four corners region of the US as the children of our 'hero' are caught in the aftermath of the explosion (cars won't run) and know that if they can just get home to the ranch and Dad (with a capital D), everything will be OK.

Since there are no cars running, walking or bicycles seem to be the only way to get around. Those of you familiar with the high desert of the Four Corners region know what kind of a rugged landscape is, and it's winter and snowing to boot - but no worries, these kids are H.E.A.L.T.H.Y. and can handle it all. Plus, any dangerous peeps about and they're loaded to the hilt with firearms, just like Dad (with a capital D) taught them. Oh, and since Dad (with a capital D) was wise and believed in an old prophecy by one of the Mormon gurus, he's been stocking up on food for years and even stashing it in super-secret places all over all the back roads leading to the ranch for the kids to find it on their way through the dangerous high country. And they actually found those caches, despite the heavy snow. For realz.

SPOILERS AHEAD: after the kids get to the ranch and everyone's safe (except Dad's wife who didn't believe in carrying guns, so the baddies knocked her off in the first chapter), there's all kinds of kerfuffles in the community over them having lots of food stashed away and it should be shared with everyone else who wasn't smart enough to stash away. That all leads to a big stand off and our 'hero' packs up his guns and thus ensues some big shoot-em-up. Why he would fire on his neighbors and not negotiate? Dunno, but even worse afterwards our 'hero' is judge, jury and executioner over a female government employee that he resented over the whole thing and ----------->>>>real spoiler---->>>he strung her up on his rope and hung her.

END SPOILERS.

Isn't he special? Not. Now to the writing itself, I'll quote some text and make comments so you can decide for yourself. Sarcasm font is on, folks.

"...like L.A., civil unrest was starting to break out there as well. To avoid that, I had chosen to take I-40 and circle around through Flagstaff. From there I would go north staying on Highway 89 which passed through Page, crossing the Colorado River at the Glen Canyon Dam. From Page, the ranch was less than an hour and a half away."

First person narrative 101 as taught by EL James, and that's not a compliment. And there's even a footnote somewhere to tell the ignorant reader that most places in the book really exist. Like the Grand Canyon. Good to know that's a real place (sarcasm font is on folks).

"Beneath my camo jacket I had on my tactical vest. The right side of the vest had six 30-round magazines for my AR. The left side had my 45 Sig Saur auto with two extra magazines above it. Along with my 45 auto, I still had my 44-40 Colt revolver strapped to my hip. I had been unable to part with it and the weight of it resting on my thigh was comforting."

TMI. Oh and did I mention that anytime any new weapon is introduced to the story there's a footnote giving the reader for more unnecessary detail on said weapon? And there's a whole bunch of weapons in this short book. Oh, and did I mention a lot of other footnotes stating 'facts' - with no backup documentation - just the author's word that those are facts. And then there was a footnote to tell we stupid readers what loaded for bear means.

Now a sample of the oh-so-heavy-handed rhetoric that litters the pages.

"What fools in Washington thought that by unilaterally disarming ourselves it would make the rest of the world like us more? There were actual fools in Washington but there were also traitors. Traitors that knew this would happen. They would not be the ones caught by surprise."

"I used to take pride in the Eagle Badge I had earned. Now I wouldn’t want anyone to know that I had been a Scout. The Boy Scout organization had violated their own Scout oath; their oath to be morally straight."

The ideal of Americanism had been twisted so as to become a mirror opposite.

I have lots more, but that's enough I think to get the point across what to expect in this book. Lastly, back to current event in Oregon, I couldn't resist highlighting a few sentences that I would call pot-meet-kettle. You be the judge.

"Living and breathing was just another way of saying, “Words mean whatever we want them to mean.”

"It was a hard and fast line in his world. If you did not earn it, if you did not pay for it, if it was not given to you, it wasn’t yours."

“We should be free to make stupid choices if we want and then be allowed to experience the full weight of those choices."

Amen to that, people who make a dumb choice should pay the consequences of their heedless actions.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

twistedmentat posted:

So LaVoy wrote a book

quote:

-A great read! Can't wait for the sequel! on January 27, 2016
-2 of 5 people found this helpful.
-Hi Saul, Sorry there will be no sequel. Agents of Harney County Oregon Sheriff Dave Ward and FBI Special Agent Greg Bretzing just murdered him today in Oregon. Google it, disgusting.

:lol:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 28, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

quote:

"I used to take pride in the Eagle Badge I had earned. Now I wouldn’t want anyone to know that I had been a Scout. The Boy Scout organization had violated their own Scout oath; their oath to be morally straight."

Bitch I was an Eagle. I got that badge by spending several years of my adolescent life in the woods with a bunch of other dudes, wearing neckerchiefs, and literally sleeping in tents with dudes I had feverish teenage crushes on. It was never, ever the straightest experience available to American youth.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Phoneposting so I can't embed tweets, but twitter is lighting up with reports that three militants have been arrested. Jason Patrick, Doane Ehmer, and Dylan Anderson. Are any of those part of the crew that was hanging around the campfire?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 28, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Quorum posted:

Bitch I was an Eagle. I got that badge by spending several years of my adolescent life in the woods with a bunch of other dudes, wearing neckerchiefs, and literally sleeping in tents with dudes I had feverish teenage crushes on. It was never, ever the straightest experience available to American youth.

I literally wrote "I want to stare at half naked little boys all day" as the reason why I wanted to work as a lifeguard at a scout camp one year, and I worked with 2 people that were openly gay and another two that were bisexual over the 6 years I worked there.

I mean you learn how to loving tie other people up and work with leather. Scouts couldn't be more gay if it tried.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Edit: wrong quote

Reading these rantings man.
https://i.imgur.com/MEnQqcd.gif

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

Phoneposting so I can't bed twwwts, but twitter is lighting up with reports that three militants have been arrested. Jason Patrick, Doane Ehmer, and Dylan Anderson. Aread any of those part of the crew that was hanging around the campfire?

I believe Jason Patrick was one of the remaining leader figures (or only remaining).

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
3 arrested, said each turned himself in.

Any other holdouts? There's still at least one I think.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Subterfrugal posted:

Wouldn't jurisdiction lie in the predicate offense occurring on federal land? Federal felony murder can be based on burglary, so if you enter an occupied dwelling with the intent to steal, you're pretty much there.

That would be difficult for two reasons. One, Malheur is proprietary jurisdiction, which means it is not under SMTJ. If it was under concurrent or exclusive jurisdiction it would be an easier road. Two they didn't burglarize an occupied building.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Fryguy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Is it just Fry and the pregnant lady left? This is amazing

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just some of the archaeological crimes they will be charged with carry 20 year sentences. They are going away forever, no need to tack on charges for Finicums death.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Is it just Fry and the pregnant lady left? This is amazing

I think the current new is just the FBI confirming the 3:30 arrests. They also mention 5 other people left and were allowed to go and there aren't 8 people left in there now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Wasn't the woman the wife of one of the other guys? He left his wife.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Lycus posted:

Wasn't the woman the wife of one of the other guys? He left his wife.

she's porkings wife. the guy who was calling for militia reinforcements to run roadblocks and kill cops.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Did you see the pictures of those roadblocks? Like 12 vehicles, 3 of them bearcats, 4 armored SUV's, and the rest police cruisers. ISIS would be hard pressed to break through that poo poo, let alone a couple rando's with AR-15's.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Did you see the pictures of those roadblocks? Like 12 vehicles, 3 of them bearcats, 4 armored SUV's, and the rest police cruisers. ISIS would be hard pressed to break through that poo poo, let alone a couple rando's with AR-15's.
He was one of the guys holding out hope fore seals parachuting into the compound as well I think.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Hah, how was that supposed to happen? A US navy carrier was going to send career soldiers to help them murder federal agents?

I guess meth is one hell of a drug.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
But the military is on their side.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Hah, how was that supposed to happen? A US navy carrier was going to send career soldiers to help them murder federal agents?

I guess meth is one hell of a drug.

No, this is the second revolution, man! The real patriot military men will come in and kill these oathbreakers!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

ToastyPotato posted:

Tarpman was literally the only person there who actually meant it when he said he was willing to die.
I just keep misreading this as "Tampon." Please don't correct me.

FAUXTON posted:

I also hope they sit these fuckers down and put them on camera while they get shown all of the god drat media evidence against them.
That will give them something nice to do for several years of their prison sentences. But do you think they'll ever understand what they did wrong? Like, if someone sits down with them and lays it out: "Here is footage of you handling archaeological items, this action fulfilled the requirements for crime X according to this statute?" They might need to bring in those people who deprogram former cult members. Can you deprogram stupid?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

But the military is on their side.

This is always the best part

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Th seals were going to HONOR ARE OATH naturally. You don't think they're dumb enough to make the Bundys hang them after a common law trial do you?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So is everyone in custody or?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Unsure

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

trickybiscuits posted:

That will give them something nice to do for several years of their prison sentences. But do you think they'll ever understand what they did wrong? Like, if someone sits down with them and lays it out: "Here is footage of you handling archaeological items, this action fulfilled the requirements for crime X according to this statute?" They might need to bring in those people who deprogram former cult members. Can you deprogram stupid?

These guys think that a court doesn't count if the flag has a gold fringe on it because they think it means that it's an admiralty court. Do you really think explaining exactly how they broke every law is going to make them think your explanation is valid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

chitoryu12 posted:

These guys think that a court doesn't count if the flag has a gold fringe on it because they think it means that it's an admiralty court. Do you really think explaining exactly how they broke every law is going to make them think your explanation is valid?

If they go to court and then claim they don't recognize the court because of that gold fringe thing, I think a fair case will be made for an insanity plea.

These people just don't live in the same reality that the rest of America does.

• Locked thread