Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
In the market for a new Laptop so I'm doing my research and reading up on stuff.

What are the thoughts on i5 vs. i7? I'm admittedly very rusty on what's new and on the up and up with this stuff, so I realize it could come down to the specific model of i5 vs. i7, but... general advice?

Also, this is what I've got my eye on. Yes, I love gigantic laptops.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019053BH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Krime posted:

In the market for a new Laptop so I'm doing my research and reading up on stuff.

What are the thoughts on i5 vs. i7? I'm admittedly very rusty on what's new and on the up and up with this stuff, so I realize it could come down to the specific model of i5 vs. i7, but... general advice?

Well in the giant laptop department there's a more noticeable difference since that i7 is a quad core processor (i7 6700hq where the HQ is what signifies it's a quad core). Most laptop i5s are dual core processors so that's a significant difference. If you were talking about ultrabooks or comparing an i5 6200u and an i5 6700u the difference wouldn't be as big.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What do you plan on doing with this? A modern laptop with an SSD is just as fast as any other modern laptop. The only reason to buy the i7 is if you do complex computational math at the doctoral level. You'll rarely peg out the i5, even playing high end games.

Krime posted:

"Newest Edition 17.3" Flagship Premium High Performance Full HD"

loving lol, with hyperboyle like that you could sell steaming bags of dog poo poo and people would buy it.

That's going to be a creaky piece of consumer crap, but if it never leaves your desk then so be it. If you're going to get a 17" laptop, at least get one with a 4K display.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Krime posted:

In a laptop an i7 is usually the same thing as an i5, a dual-core with hyperthreading, but with higher clocks. Some laptop i7s (like that one) are quad-cores, but they usually don't have i5s offered as an alternative (due to using a lot more power and therefore having a substantially different system design) and have Q in the model number to distinguish them. They will be a lot faster than the dual-core i5s on anything that can use cores 3 and 4, of course, but you probably won't notice a difference otherwise except in your battery life.

In desktops, i7s and i5s tend to both be quad-cores but i7s have hyperthreading and i5s don't. The LGA2011 workstation/server platform has some i7s but they're basically just rebranded Xeons and there are no i5s on this platform.

In both desktops and laptops, the i5s tend to have a better price/performance - however, if what you're doing relies on the CPU enough then the i7 could be worth it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it even possible to get a laptop that doesn't have shitloads of store/developer bloatware on it? I'm absolute garbage when it comes to hardware, and my mom needs a new laptop, and I just want to get something that will have less useless poo poo on it for me to have to arduously fix every 5 days.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Alabaster White posted:

Is it even possible to get a laptop that doesn't have shitloads of store/developer bloatware on it? I'm absolute garbage when it comes to hardware, and my mom needs a new laptop, and I just want to get something that will have less useless poo poo on it for me to have to arduously fix every 5 days.

The Signature Edition machines from the Microsoft Store don't have bloatware, but from what I understand you can also use the "Reset my PC" option on any Windows 10 machine and you'll get it all off too - that blows away everything but drivers and updates, I believe.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought the Asus X305 from Microsoft and it had 0 bloatware except for the Asus trackpad software.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2016

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

havenwaters posted:

The $219 one is be 1600x900 per one of the answered questions but still a chance it has a 1336x768 screen resolution anyway. The $199 is 1336x768.

Eh I'm going to give this a shot, I'll update with the screen resolution.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Alabaster White posted:

My MSI had some bloatware, but the stuff you don't want was easily removable with just standard control panel-remove program so it's not like it's a big deal.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

from what I understand you can also use the "Reset my PC" option on any Windows 10 machine and you'll get it all off too - that blows away everything but drivers and updates, I believe.

Unfortunately, no. I just tried this on a new out of the box XPS13 and it greeted me with the "register this pc" nagware and all the Dell helpers are there, the bundled version of Dropbox is there, McAfee is still there. Maybe it got something and the XPSes aren't as loaded down as some PCs, but it's not the same as a clean-clean install.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some laptops come with the windows key baked in to the UEFI (bios) now, so that when you run an install from USB it will auto pick up the key. The XPS13 may be one of these models if you want to do some further research.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Eletriarnation posted:

In a laptop an i7 is usually the same thing as an i5, a dual-core with hyperthreading, but with higher clocks. Some laptop i7s (like that one) are quad-cores, but they usually don't have i5s offered as an alternative (due to using a lot more power and therefore having a substantially different system design) and have Q in the model number to distinguish them. They will be a lot faster than the dual-core i5s on anything that can use cores 3 and 4, of course, but you probably won't notice a difference otherwise except in your battery life.

In desktops, i7s and i5s tend to both be quad-cores but i7s have hyperthreading and i5s don't. The LGA2011 workstation/server platform has some i7s but they're basically just rebranded Xeons and there are no i5s on this platform.

In both desktops and laptops, the i5s tend to have a better price/performance - however, if what you're doing relies on the CPU enough then the i7 could be worth it.

With Skylake there are quad core laptop i5s too - just like the desktop processors they don't have HT.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ars put a review up of the XPS 15

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/dell-xps-15-review-a-bigger-version-of-the-best-pc-laptop/

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Got that t420 today, faster shipping than I paid for. Did a system restore right off the bat. Everything seems perfectly fine, aside from a little scuffing around the corners. 1600x900 as I thought, and it even has a fingerprint scanner built in. I'm sure it doesn't work worth a gently caress. Still looks good altogether!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Thanks for the replies/comments.

I still have much homework and consideration to do but you guys gave me some good info to go on.

Krime fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 29, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Teddybear posted:

Got that t420 today, faster shipping than I paid for. Did a system restore right off the bat. Everything seems perfectly fine, aside from a little scuffing around the corners. 1600x900 as I thought, and it even has a fingerprint scanner built in. I'm sure it doesn't work worth a gently caress. Still looks good altogether!

Jesus you aren't kidding about shipping-bought the same one yesterday afternoon, got the free 4-7 day shipping, and it arrived this morning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a lot of extra capacity in the shipping system in the months after Christmas, I have stuff arriving from China slated to arrive in 14-21 days getting here in just 5.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
As far as performance goes, am I going to notice a big difference between a refurb i5 T420 with 8GB of ram versus an Asus UX305 with similar specs?

As far as portability goes, will I notice a big difference between the two? I'm not a student or an on-the-go business professional so I don't plan to carry my laptop with me everywhere I go, but I would like to be able to take it to a coffee shop or on vacation.

My main uses are web browsing, consuming music/videos/Youtube, and the occasional VM lab.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

nwin posted:

Jesus you aren't kidding about shipping-bought the same one yesterday afternoon, got the free 4-7 day shipping, and it arrived this morning.

Mine's set to arrive today too!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

dissss posted:

With Skylake there are quad core laptop i5s too - just like the desktop processors they don't have HT.

Oh yeah, you're right. It looks like there are a couple of 45W models that are similar to the i7s we've had in Broadwell and before, but interestingly Skylake also has mobile 25W quad-cores in both i5 and i7 models that don't even have a higher tray price listed than the 15W dual-cores. I'm pretty sure that the Surface Book has one of these, but I wonder if we'll be seeing them in more systems. Some ultrabook systems already have 28W dual-cores with Iris graphics from Haswell/Broadwell and that would be an easy swap in the same form-factor.

Tigren posted:

As far as performance goes, am I going to notice a big difference between a refurb i5 T420 with 8GB of ram versus an Asus UX305 with similar specs?

As far as portability goes, will I notice a big difference between the two? I'm not a student or an on-the-go business professional so I don't plan to carry my laptop with me everywhere I go, but I would like to be able to take it to a coffee shop or on vacation.

My main uses are web browsing, consuming music/videos/Youtube, and the occasional VM lab.

If your T420 doesn't have the extended battery I would expect the UX305 to last a lot longer. Integrated graphics may be faster in the UX305 due to the 4-generation difference, although the processor in the T420 has a lot larger power envelope to stretch out in so it may end up feeling quicker. If you haven't put an SSD in the T420, that will make a difference in both battery life and perceived quickness. The T420 is definitely a substantially thicker and heavier machine but you can look up the numbers and decide if you care about the difference.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 29, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tigren posted:

The Asus 305 has a fast SSD so it will feel much faster than the T420 by default.

There is a big difference with portability because the Asus weighs 2 pounds less. It won't matter for you much since you say you won't be taking it around al the time.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm looking at the T450s since I have extra student loan money and my old laptop is garbage. (It's a Vista machine I got many years ago.) The HD on that one failed, so I have a 500 GB SSHD in it right now. Lenovo charges $130 to upgrade to a 128gb SSD. Is it worth it just to keep the SSHD I have to replace the Standard 7200rpm that comes with the laptop?
This is the one I have now http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B99JU5M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
I'm trying to stay under $1000, and the model I'm looking at is $870 customized the way I'm looking at it. SSD prices seem to be coming down anyway.
I'm going to use the laptop mostly for textbook reading, doing papers, watching streamed hockey games and the occasional older game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What's a better solution is to buy a Samsung 850 EVO, either the 250 gig version for $80-90 or the 500 gig version for like $140-150, and then replace the drive that comes standard yourself.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The T series are made to be serviceable by end users or IT departments. It shouldn't be too difficult to swap in your own drive as the previous poster said. The SSHD should be noticeably faster at least for startup times than a regular HD though.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Eletriarnation posted:

The T series are made to be serviceable by end users or IT departments. It shouldn't be too difficult to swap in your own drive as the previous poster said. The SSHD should be noticeably faster at least for startup times than a regular HD though.

It is very easy to swap RAM and drives on Thinkpads. If you have enough fingers to hold a screwdriver you can do it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If anyone is looking for an XPS 15 or XPS 13, dell outlet has a $500 off $1199 coupon, and is dumping S&D and refurb XPS15's.
SD Thread: http://slickdeals.net/f/8463569-dell-outlet-500-off-any-xps-or-alienware-laptop-or-desktop-over-1199

XPS 15 9550 direct link: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=2201&fid=111065

I spent 2 hours F5'ing and trying to add an i7, FHD XPS 15 to my cart, and finally landed one. Win 10 pro, 512GB M.2, 16GB RAM, FHD, and the 84whr battery plus 3 years of premium warranty for $1375 after tax.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Cool, thanks for all the help,. I'll probably grab the one I'm looking at once they deposit my loan.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

sharkytm posted:

If anyone is looking for an XPS 15 or XPS 13, dell outlet has a $500 off $1199 coupon, and is dumping S&D and refurb XPS15's.
SD Thread: http://slickdeals.net/f/8463569-dell-outlet-500-off-any-xps-or-alienware-laptop-or-desktop-over-1199

drat, I'd be all over one of those XPS 15s if it was four months from now when I have $750 to spare. How often do they do deals like this? I'm initially leaning towards an XPS but definitely want to do more research first.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
There will be tons of refurbs on fleabay so just wait.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What are some good choices for a laptop sleeve? In particular for an HP Folio 13-2000. Bonus if it looks girly, especially shades of purple.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

The Signature Edition machines from the Microsoft Store don't have bloatware, but from what I understand you can also use the "Reset my PC" option on any Windows 10 machine and you'll get it all off too - that blows away everything but drivers and updates, I believe.

This may or may not apply to Lenovo laptops.

C-Euro posted:

drat, I'd be all over one of those XPS 15s if it was four months from now when I have $750 to spare. How often do they do deals like this? I'm initially leaning towards an XPS but definitely want to do more research first.

Probably pretty often considering how many people are returning the new XPS laptops for being buggy/broken.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I've been looking at a new laptop and I'm wondering if there is any difference between the X250 and X260 besides the Skylake processor. Particularly in the colour space coverage of the FHD displays. Because I can currently get the X250 for around $600 less than the X260 in Australia and the only difference I can see is the addition of one extra USB and the removal of the VGA port.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ItBurns posted:

Probably pretty often considering how many people are returning the new XPS laptops for being buggy/broken.

Oh, is that a common issue with those?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Won an x230 on Ebay, should be here by Friday. :toot:

Thanks for the guidance, nerds.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

I upgraded my RAM on my X230 after two glasses of wine, and three years later, swapped in an SSD after four beers.

The hard drive swapped out so easily I'm now extremely nervous about leaving my laptop unattended for any period of time. It's only one screw and has a pull cord for convenience.

If you're a spergy motherfucker who likes to upgrade their hardware and have to buy a laptop, a Thinkpad is a good option.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So with the T420 I bought, what ram and SSD is a good buy generally?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Evo 850 is the go to standard

RAM, depends. Flip over your laptop, take the RAM plate off the back and buy whatever has the specs matching that. Should be DDR3 XX00 with a CAS Latency of W-X-Y-Z. Whatever is cheapest from a brand like G.SKILL, Kensington, Samsung, Patriot etc etc. Brand doesn't matter, specs do.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

nwin posted:

So with the T420 I bought, what ram and SSD is a good buy generally?

From what I understand, you can pretty much just stick any old 204 pin DDR3 ram in there. The specs say it supports 8GB (2x4) but it'll accept 2x8GB if you want to be a real computer wizard.

If you want to go to 16GB :science: http://amzn.com/B007B5S52C
If you want to save :20bux::20bux: http://amzn.com/B00B2UWS5C

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yeah, back when the T420 was released, 8GB so-dimms were new and $349 each but they'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Specs I'm looking for:

15" screen
16 GB RAM
i5 processor

Here's the catch: it has to be under $1,000. The good news is that I do have a 512GB SSD, but everything I've looked at with those specs already come with an SSD so my savings would be minimal.