Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Marzzle posted:

whats the big advantage of CentOS vs something like debian unstable? i get the impression it's sorta fedora: server edition but i have never run it

It's super long term support, solid as a rock, secure, and not built by morons.

Fedora is to Rhel as Debian testing is to Debian Stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

centos is the only linux i ever touch

not on the desktop of course lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
just use ubuntu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Marzzle posted:

whats the big advantage of CentOS vs something like debian unstable? i get the impression it's sorta fedora: server edition but i have never run it

ten years.

you install centos, you have ten years before you have to gently caress with it again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fedora for the desktop, Cent for the servers.
Ubuntu is trash and so is Debian.

What I'm saying here is Slackware is the best.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
and then the advantage of debian is WAY more packages pre built in repos to just apt-get install

you like, never have to actually use an autoconf and build something and debug buildchain - there's packages for everything

but then yes you only are guaranteed 3? years of updates vs. 10.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ten years.

you install centos, you have ten years before you have to gently caress with it again
ten years from the release date, not from when you install

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

craisins posted:

ten years from the release date, not from when you install

why would you wait more than a day to install!!???

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Shoot, by the time its installed planning and whatnot, its could be up to a year or even more

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

Shoot, by the time its installed planning and whatnot, its could be up to a year or even more

Only 9 years of support? Unacceptable! :v:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Sniep posted:

and then the advantage of debian is WAY more packages pre built in repos to just apt-get install

you like, never have to actually use an autoconf and build something and debug buildchain - there's packages for everything

but then yes you only are guaranteed 3? years of updates vs. 10.

For LTS releases (which come every two years), support is 3 on the desktop, 5 on the server. For non-LTS releases, 9 months.

As mentioned in this thread... if you are using any packages that are from the multiverse repository, those packages may never get updates at all.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
re: chef

my buddy who works for Facebook reports that instead of using Casper suite for all their machines they are not children and use Chef to automate end user config management, and all the syslogs are dumped to Splunk. If your computer kernel panics more than 3 times in a given time frame, they automatically send you a new computer.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol your friend is a desktop janitor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

For LTS releases (which come every two years), support is 3 on the desktop, 5 on the server. For non-LTS releases, 9 months.

As mentioned in this thread... if you are using any packages that are from the multiverse repository, those packages may never get updates at all.

i'll just c/p my poo poo from months ago

don't use ubuntu, jesus christ

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'll just c/p my poo poo from months ago

don't use ubuntu, jesus christ

:drat:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nbsd have you considered a job on red hats marketing team

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i almost forgot. canonical can't afford to support old kernels anymore, so their new policy on LTS releases is to force people to upgrade the kernel to a newer release while retaining the old userland

in this diagram, you can see that they intend to continue "supporting" 12.04's stable kernels indefinitely, but 14.04 and 16.04 LTS users will be forced to upgrade to retain meaningful support

in reality everyone has to upgrade because lol canonical "support." (it's always "best" "effort") ((gently caress just don't use ubuntu ok))

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

nbsd have you considered a job on red hats marketing team

yes i have considered working for red hat sales engineering, but they couldn't afford it

like not even close

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:psyduck:

who the hell does anything with mod_perl after like, 2001

other than slashdot i mean

if php is webdev with crayons then mod_perl is like webdev with crayons that have lead in them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

i'm trying gnom3 on fedora and it's kinda ok but what the gently caress are they thinking with those inch-high title bars on all the windows that you can only shrink by dropping a magic css file in a hidden directory

don't worry they're working on it

(I bet soon it will just ignore the magic css file)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

re: chef

my buddy who works for Facebook reports that instead of using Casper suite for all their machines they are not children and use Chef to automate end user config management, and all the syslogs are dumped to Splunk. If your computer kernel panics more than 3 times in a given time frame, they automatically send you a new computer.

that is awesome. do you know what kind of computers they use? the productivity loss of a unstable computer is so much greater than the cost of a new computer, imo.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

that is awesome. do you know what kind of computers they use? the productivity loss of a unstable computer is so much greater than the cost of a new computer, imo.

i wonder how much productivity is lost every time a dev tries to learn emacs or vim and attempts to extend it to be more like an ide

should probably backup my dotfiles now that I think about it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if a dev is learning emacs or vim on the job then they must either be bad devs, or are trying to solve a problem that they don't have the right tools for. i have used vim at work because my work involves, not as much any more, making the same set of edits to 24+ raw xml files. the in-house tool doesn't support it and apparently real xml editors are too expensive?? one person in the company has a copy of xmlspy, but she is like a lead compiler dev or something idk.

p.s. i am a bad dev

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes i have considered working for red hat sales engineering, but they couldn't afford it

like not even close

i was thinking more like vp of cloud marketing

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

gonna post some pics of bad gnome3 behavior:

"progress" of file operations takes up a huge amount of space for no reason at all but you get rid of an extra dialogue screen which I guess makes it all ok some how? also, it looks like total crap

file selection status has much better placement than "progress" thing but still blocks the last line of the window for no reason other than I guess they spend all the screen real estate for nautilus on the big rear end title bar and favorites side bar. would've been a lot cooler to stick a dialogue bar or something at the bottom or up in the title bar and just keep the list display of files as its own frame instead of plastering every little thing over it. thank god the sanctity of the favorites sidebar is unmolested

memorial image size dedicated to gnome3's design language

also i am bad at picking IDEs/videogames/tv tia

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
It's always sunny in kde

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Marzzle posted:

also i am bad at picking IDEs

ides are bad

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

but i am too much of a scrub to craft bespoke java applications in vim :ohdear:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

but seriously i can't really conceive of how people write something spread across a few modules and still remember what each method/object etc accept as parameters and their return types. i know people must do it and i pretty regularly write (and screw up) python stuff in text editors but java seems like it would be some next level frustration.

how do you keep track of a lot of stuff on a regular editor?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Marzzle posted:

but seriously i can't really conceive of how people write something spread across a few modules and still remember what each method/object etc accept as parameters and their return types. i know people must do it and i pretty regularly write (and screw up) python stuff in text editors but java seems like it would be some next level frustration.

powerful greybeards

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Marzzle posted:

Use an ide

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
A "Text editor" is for editing text

An "integrated development environment" is for development

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"how so people drive nails with a screw driver, i don't get it?!"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
fam im switing to fedora or something next week kuz now i have to sudo service restart cups basically 50% of the time on any print job. sometimes a couple times ot get it to engage the gears or whatever. Ubuntu is loving my LIFE

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Marzzle posted:

gonna post some pics of bad gnome3 behavior:

also i am bad at picking IDEs/videogames/tv tia

what's Sam_Brownback.htm

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Broken Machine posted:

what's Sam_Brownback.htm

my pre-release sam brownback erotic flash game now please sign this NDA

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Smythe posted:

fam im switing to fedora or something next week kuz now i have to sudo service restart cups basically 50% of the time on any print job. sometimes a couple times ot get it to engage the gears or whatever. Ubuntu is loving my LIFE

unbuntu is actually pretty bad so now you are making some positive life changes by considering other distros

like kicking your heroin habit to get on suboxone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

a post from the trenches

a good post