Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
yeah if you can ferment any biological materials why not use poop or pee or medical waste???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Other Barry posted:

why tomato paste?

Yeast needs a few different nutrients to eat as well as sugar. Tomato paste is the cheapest way to feed it.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
We're experimenting with a proper yeast mix thats got grains and oatmeal but its not perfect yet i dont think

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Isaac posted:

We're experimenting with a proper yeast mix thats got grains and oatmeal but its not perfect yet i dont think

If you're producing neutral spirit it doesn't matter. You're using a reflux still so you won't be producing anything else. Just optimise for $ per litre and distill as many times as needed.

If you swap to a decent sized column you won't need to double distill either.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
isaac you ignored my question

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

wiffle ball bat posted:

yeah if you can ferment any biological materials why not use poop or pee or medical waste???

You cant ferment anything. It has to primarily be fermentable sugars.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Isaac posted:

You cant ferment anything. It has to primarily be fermentable sugars.

So you'd have to use the pee of a diabetic then?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angela Christine posted:

So you'd have to use the pee of a diabetic then?

I dunno its not my field of expertise

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

ddiddles posted:

Isaac is the best poster on SA

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres the pics that wpuldny upload of the bottling process

Prepared some wine bottles i found in the rubbish

Lost 200ml from evaporation or drinking it i cant remember

84pc

Watering it down with tap water because it comes from springs at the start of a big river and is very good.

Dont remember what rhis pic is representing. I think that it went to 40pc

Filled bottles

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Today im making this off wine into something. Join me as we find out what.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Turn that sour wine into more sour wine

its the taste snobs go crazy for if you tell them it was intentional

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
It tasted good at one point now its powerfully vinegar and aceton flavour. I also have 25l of off beer im gonna put through. I was considering mixing them together but ill see how the wine in its own comes out

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

i think wine+distillation=brandy so good luck with your sour brandy

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Yes! Been wanting a new installment

Make all the liquor mixed up

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is a reflux still so in theory should take all the flavours out. If itd refluxing properly im going to add the beer in. If not im going to do it in 2 batches

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Theres a bung or something missing its just releasing booze vapour into the air maybe making me dead or drunk

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Put a beer can over the column and it seems to be working. Took the first cut and i can taste shortly

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wooo im feeling woozy

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

This thread needs some kind of stream

Id watch the hell out of it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

donkey salami posted:

This thread needs some kind of stream

Id watch the hell out of it

Thatd be fun. Itd be mostly me eating sunflower seeds for a few hours with dripping noises.

Had a taste of the first proper cut and its very pleasant. I think this will only need one run.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Having terrible internet that takes 10 seconda to load a pic is the price i pay for fun farm life

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

My shining desk

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

First cut 80%

Isaac fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 28, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Next cut was only 65pc and tasted a bit worse. Gonna chuck the wine left over and start on the beer

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Isaac posted:

My shining desk

What type of sunflower seeds are those?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Down the sink w you smelly wine

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

What type of sunflower seeds are those?

You can only get em at asian supermarkets in aus. Theyre salted ones

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Okay im not even posting the right pics. But here we go w the beer. Wine ended up at a disapointing 500ml of 75pc i thought id get more.

Alcometer reading for the beer is -5pc alcphol whcih is concerning but i can taste booze in it. Were dealing with a much larger volume of liquid now so i think itll be like an hour till the beer starts going.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
After more than an hour this beer is starting to go. Came out cloudy at first whixhc shouldnt happen. Worried about this one

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Beers coming through at a shithouse 55pc. Im gonna run it till its done cause ive waited so long for this disapointment

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres how i make TPW (tomato paste wash).

Ingredients for 50L.
12kg sugar
500g tomato paste
140g of bakers yeast
Juice of 2 lemons

Two 25L plastic fermenters cleaned and sterilised

Hydrometer

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fermenter

Put all the tomato paste and lemon in. 80% of the sugar and 80% water. Try tp get the water at about 25 degrees C if you werent to benzod to remember that bit.

Add water to lower the specifog gravity (measured wirh hydrometer) and sugar to raise sg. You want it to end up full with a SG of 1070. Once its there sprinkle the yeast on top

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ones much too hot and the others much too cold because i didnt think very hard when i was doi g this.

I dont have a heat pad or aquarium heater to control temp so im putting them next to the glass door so theyll level out to ambient temp around 25 degrees.

I may have to add more yeast to the hot one because i may have killed it.

Depending on the heat it'll be ready to distill in 4 to 10 days. You can tell when its ready when the SG reads 1000.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

What's going on with the beer batch?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

got the exact same yeast in the fridge leftover from pizza makings, also theres a fish tank heater around somewhere, few more bits and I can join yous in making poisons

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

donkey salami posted:

What's going on with the beer batch?

I got about 800ml of 40% after airing it a day and diluting it. Tastes like the smell of homebrew syrup but is very smooth to drink. Took a long long time to get the alcohol out but better than just tipping it out.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fat Jesus posted:

got the exact same yeast in the fridge leftover from pizza makings, also theres a fish tank heater around somewhere, few more bits and I can join yous in making poisons

Fermenters arent expensive or the ingredients. You can do it blind without a hydrometer but youd have to work out when its done by tasting it (its done when you cant detect any sweetness).

A still is gonna be your most expensive part. 100 bux of copper and some silver solder with an old metal beer keg you can make your own if you have the know how.

I think the reflux style still i was using mighta been 150 dollars and it has an electric heating element that makes things pretty easy.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Iirc you are in aus as well fat jesus so even if you spend like 200 + dollars on getting set up you only need to make like one run before youve covered the cost in what you would pay at the store for the booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

ya m8 im up near wagga, might give it a go when i sell my truck since I cant drink running the thing and never home with it anyway, going to need a hobby soon that isnt mowing the lawn and washing the car

• Locked thread