Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I honestly think that dark runs for loot purposes are pretty bad because if you run high light and +scouting you are pretty much guaranteed to get three magical money gems with 0 risk on your part. That's like 7500 gold off the bat that takes up only 3 slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How does turn order work? Is there a way to predict who will go next?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Everyone has a speed value, and each round the game adds +1d8 to their speed. Highest number goes first, lowest last. So people with 8 speed will always go before people with 0, but if there's a smaller gap then the dice make it uncertain.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The pounder is a miserable boss fight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally getting some of my dudes up to level 2, including one Highwayman who must be the luckiest man alive since he keeps winding up on Death's Door yet surviving somehow.

For being the places you're supposed to scrounge for deeds and portraits, the Weald and the Warrens sure are stingy with handing them out. Got a feeling I'm on the cusp of what I've seen called the "Deed Problem," but I imagine the drop rate gets better as the difficulty goes up.

What's the trick with the Cove if you wanna cure some quirks for free? I've got enough cash that curing my dudes of their various ailments is no longer prohibitively expensive but there are only so many slots in the Sanitarium.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

widespread posted:

You're probably also gonna hate the crew. One of their attacks is to add an enemy whose purpose is to immobilize the very front, inflicting stress AND giving the crew 3 HP per turn. Oh, and the crew can and will force a party member to the front if they can. And also, the enemy has a 50% PROT rating, which goes to the crew after immobilization.

crew is easy when you just throw an abomination in the front; it's not like your front liner can't attack. haven't taken on the tier 2 version yet, though.

siren is the one I'm not thrilled to meet again.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

What's the trick with the Cove if you wanna cure some quirks for free? I've got enough cash that curing my dudes of their various ailments is no longer prohibitively expensive but there are only so many slots in the Sanitarium.

Use herbs on the coral

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

crew is easy when you just throw an abomination in the front; it's not like your front liner can't attack. haven't taken on the tier 2 version yet, though.

siren is the one I'm not thrilled to meet again.
Holy water hth

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc posted:

The pounder is a miserable boss fight.

Speaking of, I was thinking of getting around to finishing the Champion Pounder, but I can't remember if Rushed Shot moves the gunner bandits backwards, and does Uppercut Slice move blade bandits forward? Because I'm thinking a team of Arbalest/Vestal/Highwayman/Bounty Hunter would work, but not if the gunners can move backward on their own.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You know, people keep saying not to restart, but honestly trying over again after a dry run isn't that bad, you can probably do a helluva lot better after learning the mechanics than you can keeping on struggling. I mean my first two games were abandoned and in the first I lost Dismas to the opening game bandits, and I only started playing recently. That would never happen nowadays, I'm far more ready to tackle the early game challenges than I was.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Do not restart :siren:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Onmi posted:

You know, people keep saying not to restart, but honestly trying over again after a dry run isn't that bad, you can probably do a helluva lot better after learning the mechanics than you can keeping on struggling. I mean my first two games were abandoned and in the first I lost Dismas to the opening game bandits, and I only started playing recently. That would never happen nowadays, I'm far more ready to tackle the early game challenges than I was.

You can accomplish exactly the same thing (except keeping Dismas and the other guy) by firing all your heroes and starting anew with a fresh batch from the stagecoach, and you get to keep all your stuff.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
One corner that I turned midgame was really starting to manage the roster like resources instead of characters. Meaning, I had 18-21 heroes and maybe 30 trinkets. I used to kit everyone out with "Their Trinkets" and make sure they always had "Their Skills" and run them like I was running a Final Fantasy party. Now, every mission I unequip all trinkets with the button and when I choose a mission I want, I handpick the team, i go over their skills to make sure the relevant ones are enabled and leveled up, and I choose the right 8 trinkets for that particular team.

I realize that's not mindblowing, but it really helped for things like Swine God or Gibbering Prophet where I was like "Okay, I need stun resist and a party that can stack DOTs, so i'll use these trinkets on these guys" or "I need everyone to reliably hit the back row and dodge well, so houndmaster with this and arbalest with that should be good" or whatever. Treating every mission as a singular tactical operation and treating heroes as another provision instead of a character (meaning, instead of treating it like a JRPG) has done wonders.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 28, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Having sunk a bunch of time into the release version after not playing since ages ago, I've been enjoying it. They've really improved some classes that used to be embarrassing dogshit(Plague Doctor) and stuff like corpses add a lot more depth to the combat and make back row attackers a lot more useful. I'm a little disappointed Leper is still so lackluster and non-versatile compared to the other frontliners and Jester still has extremely bad damage output and his role as a buffer is questionable compared to bringing someone who can actually do damage and kill things, but at least he has an OK niche now that Abominations exist.

My biggest and most annoyed complaint is the massive imbalance in what town resources are needed. Deeds are loving stupid because you need a loving billion of them but they hardly ever drop, so leveling up the blacksmith is the only part of the game that has felt torturously, awfully, terribly grindy. Every time I get a new level on weapons or armor my rear end in a top hat clenches shut tight enough to make diamonds as I look at the new number for the next level and think about how many runs I'll need to hit it. Meanwhile I sit on a billion busts because it's trivially easy to max out the things that require them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Only character I've really cared about so far was Dismas and obviously he was the one ganked by the surprise Collector in week 4.

Re: town resources, it's normal to have a ludicrous pile of crests, right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:devil: Go on, restart. You know you want to. :devil:

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Antti posted:

Re: town resources, it's normal to have a ludicrous pile of crests, right?
The Trinket Wagon and the Camp Skills lady both will be happy to convert that pile of crests into upgrades.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

frest posted:

The Trinket Wagon and the Camp Skills lady both will be happy to convert that pile of crests into upgrades.

That's the Nomad Wagon right? Mine is still locked.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Antti posted:

That's the Nomad Wagon right? Mine is still locked.

Then just save them if you're that early along. The later Guild and Blacksmith upgrades are like 80+ Crests a piece.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it makes sense that you will have more crests than anything else, because every upgrade requires crests.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea the upgrade cost is something they missed a bit on. I'm pretty sure the idea is that you won't have enough to have everything unlocked by the time you're being forced to run higher stuff, or that you won't have the cash to fully upgrade. That causes you to run without being fully kitted out which really raises the stakes on you. In reality, you just chuck some guys and run extra missions to upgrade poo poo more.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Yea the upgrade cost is something they missed a bit on. I'm pretty sure the idea is that you won't have enough to have everything unlocked by the time you're being forced to run higher stuff, or that you won't have the cash to fully upgrade. That causes you to run without being fully kitted out which really raises the stakes on you. In reality, you just chuck some guys and run extra missions to upgrade poo poo more.

It also disproportionately forces you into Weald missions because they're the only zone with 100% guaranteed deeds from mission rewards. I feel like they should have decoupled specific currencies from specific dungeons and just had it be a scattershot; I'd like to run cove more but I don't need crests so I only step in there if all the other missions are total crap or I desperately need some quirks erased.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kanos posted:

It also disproportionately forces you into Weald missions because they're the only zone with 100% guaranteed deeds from mission rewards. I feel like they should have decoupled specific currencies from specific dungeons and just had it be a scattershot; I'd like to run cove more but I don't need crests so I only step in there if all the other missions are total crap or I desperately need some quirks erased.

"The Weald is terrible and we should probably delete it from the game cause it's the worst. But instead we'll force players to run it for deeds :devil:"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Macaluso posted:

"The Weald is terrible and we should probably delete it from the game cause it's the worst. But instead we'll force players to run it for deeds :devil:"

The only two things about the Weald that I hate are: 1. The stupid loving giants which are basically an entire fight of Russian Roulette where you never know if it will use a useless party shuffle or poison or decide to one shot someone from full HP and 2. The Rabid Dog Murder Squad who inevitably all zero in on one guy and crit him 4 times in a row before anyone in your party has a chance to move. The rest of it is pretty manageable and the two bosses there are among the easiest once you know what to bring.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dislike cove more

those loving shield fish are the worst for no reason other than they take an obnoxious length of time to die. that and four packs of those sword fish deal a frightening amount of hurt in short order.

pigland is also obnoxious due to the puke pigs dropping lovely diseases.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

The only two things about the Weald that I hate are: 1. The stupid loving giants which are basically an entire fight of Russian Roulette where you never know if it will use a useless party shuffle or poison or decide to one shot someone from full HP and 2. The Rabid Dog Murder Squad who inevitably all zero in on one guy and crit him 4 times in a row before anyone in your party has a chance to move. The rest of it is pretty manageable and the two bosses there are among the easiest once you know what to bring.

If you bring a Man-at-Arms to the Weald and have him guard against the giant it's like playing Russian Roulette with an empty pistol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I tend to bring lots of blight DoT classes(PD, Abom, GR) to cove because there are problem enemies have super high prot but are weak to blight, plus the Plague Doctor is a rock star against Ucas who are otherwise incredibly hard to kill and terrifyingly dangerous. Spearfish packs are annoying if your party isn't extremely fast, though, yeah.

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you bring a Man-at-Arms to the Weald and have him guard against the giant it's like playing Russian Roulette with an empty pistol.

I had a Leper with 65% prot(two trinkets and withstand) eat a 20 point crit from a giant who was 40% damage debuffed by my occultist. Not enough damage to bother a leveled Leper but still absolutely loving stupid.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 28, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Operant posted:

I honestly think that dark runs for loot purposes are pretty bad because if you run high light and +scouting you are pretty much guaranteed to get three magical money gems with 0 risk on your part. That's like 7500 gold off the bat that takes up only 3 slots

I run high light (usually) and have only found one secret room. I don't have any +scouting items though and am still new-ish though, weeks 20-something I think? Stopped listening to the thread and running dark light stuff because the stress just isn't worth it at this point I think, maybe once I upgrade the monastery and bar more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

attackmole posted:

I run high light (usually) and have only found one secret room. I don't have any +scouting items though and am still new-ish though, weeks 20-something I think? Stopped listening to the thread and running dark light stuff because the stress just isn't worth it at this point I think, maybe once I upgrade the monastery and bar more.

Secret rooms never spawn in short runs and only sometimes appear in medium runs. Using +scouting camp buffs helps.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Macaluso posted:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i dislike cove more

those loving shield fish are the worst for no reason other than they take an obnoxious length of time to die. that and four packs of those sword fish deal a frightening amount of hurt in short order.

pigland is also obnoxious due to the puke pigs dropping lovely diseases.

So you mean that every zone except the Ruins is painful?

They have to make the Ruins worse. Make Goblet Skeletons hit everyone? :getin:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Glad to hear you got the hang of things in the DARKEST DUNGEON. Just remember overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

DD is one of my favorite games in a very long time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
For some reason, Champion Ruins runs have been kicking my rear end. They've been the only place so far where I had a Legend casualty (RIP Irving Julius the Crusader, lost to a routine fight on the way to the Necromancer) AND had to abort a boss fight, on the Necromancer of all bosses. Swine God, Inchoate Flesh and Beguiling Siren have all folded without much incident and I've yet had to fail one of numerous Warrens or Cove runs. :shrug:

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
All the bitching here is fine.

How the gently caress am I actually supposed to beat the shuffling horror. I've lost 20 level 6 guys now. It gets an action after every hero action and most of them are summoning the loving pillar that makes it unkillable.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

For some reason, Champion Ruins runs have been kicking my rear end. They've been the only place so far where I had a Legend casualty (RIP Irving Julius the Crusader, lost to a routine fight on the way to the Necromancer) AND had to abort a boss fight, on the Necromancer of all bosses. Swine God, Inchoate Flesh and Beguiling Siren have all folded without much incident and I've yet had to fail one of numerous Warrens or Cove runs. :shrug:

Maybe it's the insane amounts of prot you're facing.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fat Samurai posted:

So you mean that every zone except the Ruins is painful?

They have to make the Ruins worse. Make Goblet Skeletons hit everyone? :getin:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I upgraded my blacksmith naturally from pounding out the 16-20 requisite people for the DD.

My camp, trinket wagon and tavern though? Not even close, hah. I'll have to go far out of my way for achievements but I don't care about those buildings.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TacMan posted:

All the bitching here is fine.

How the gently caress am I actually supposed to beat the shuffling horror. I've lost 20 level 6 guys now. It gets an action after every hero action and most of them are summoning the loving pillar that makes it unkillable.

Bring all the bandages you can, avoid classes with really strict positioning limits, focus on the horror and ignore the minion beyond occasionally throwing a stun its way. The shuffler only gets 2 actions per round and half of them will be rearranging your party, so as long as you can live with that you're only facing 1.5 attacks per round, none of which are actually that dangerous by high level standards.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there anyway to get the quest goal, "Successfully complete your first foray into the Ruins," to be checked off with a save from before the release? I've been to the ruins plenty of times but, it never gets checked off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there anyway to get the quest goal, "Successfully complete your first foray into the Ruins," to be checked off with a save from before the release? I've been to the ruins plenty of times but, it never gets checked off.

I've seen the tutorial Ruins mission pop up in my postgame save, I assume recruiting some newbies and sending them through would do the trick. Don't know if it will appear before then. (It's a specific green mission with a unique description and a gold bolder.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I took down the hag, but it wasn't worth it. Lost my only occultist.

My party composition ended up being incredibly bad for that fight. I thought "I'll bring a hellion and a highwayman and an occultist, then the occultist can mark her, highwayman can pistol shot, and hellion can iron swan"

Well I didn't get to do any of that. Highwayman gets put in the pot, when he comes out, he's in the front row and hellion is in the second row, so no iron swan and no pistol shot. Happened twice right away.

gently caress all you people who never had to upgrade their stagecoach. I had one Occultist and no Arbalests. Now my Occultist is dead and who knows how long it will be before I get another.