Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shroud
May 11, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the name needs to have something like matriarchal or matriarchy in it though

Gloria ad Steinum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I was going to say own every country that has a female national personification (Columbia, Britannia, Mother Russia, etc.) but as it turns out there's a ridiculous amount of them including, uh, Europa. So there's a starting point there.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Add an achievement named Boney Malice to play as a custom nation named Skeletons

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finally some all female rulers for republics and theocracies and so on too?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Average Bear posted:

Could someone else check and see if this is happening in their 1.15 games?

Yeah I have that. Portugal has -7 to join Aragaon in my war against them, but they still have the green check mark and join against me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Maybe that's part of how the AI is supposed to take Trust more into consideration?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koramei posted:

DDRjake has a good strat for that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhyvixrEle0

Holy poo poo :stare:

Is that still doable? Can you just split up the Ottomans and Venetians with custom nations like that?

edit: no you cannot. well poo poo. back to the drawing board...

Given that, anyone else have any ideas on how to get started with Albania? I can survive just fine for the first 10-20 years but the Ottomans' warnings make it impossible to expand.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 28, 2016

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazon Empire achievement yes please

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Armani Glasses posted:

Did I imagine reading that there was going to be a way to skip songs in this patch, because if there is I can't find it and I was looking forward to not hearing the same track over and over again on starting a game!

Is there a way to make all the music DLC I bought actually play? I think a lot of it only plays under special circumstances, and I'm not going to do something silly like play a republic to hear the relevant music pack.

ALSO I don't know if it'd be OP but there should be an option to decide the fate of estates in provinces you conquer. Depending on the circumstance you could fire different events for the provinces, maybe getting a small benefit from letting the estate stay there or something. Okay, as described that's a lot of dumb micro but something like this would make sense.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 28, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/692385353580335105

Uh oh.

(Also, how the gently caress do you embed a tweet, why is this never explained anywhere)

Ok it just doesn't show up in the preview, weird.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Not sure how I feel about that new strait crossing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Trujillo posted:

Not sure how I feel about that new strait crossing.

I think it's great just because it is going to engage England in the continent a lot more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like this pretty France. Looks like 1 or 2 new provinces in the south as well? I haven't played over there in a while though.

That strait crossing is pretty crazy though. I guess we'll see how it goes.

e: VVVV

PleasingFungus posted:

RIP AI England

That is very much what I'm expecting.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 28, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Prop Wash posted:

The huge thing for me is that having a female ruler/heir will no longer carry with it such a large penalty. Before the patch you lost out on basically a free general and/or a good way to kill bad rulers, depending on your luck.

that's still true unless you play a custom nation, though?

PittTheElder posted:

That strait crossing is pretty crazy though. I guess we'll see how it goes.

RIP AI England

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PleasingFungus posted:

RIP AI England

Isn't that a big buff to AI England? They can still block the strait with their navy, but now they can at least move troops over without the naval AI freaking out and being unable to transport troops. Granted, 1.15 was supposed to make the AI better at prioritizing transporting of troops over blockades so maybe it won't be a huge change, but it seems like it'll let England actually be a meaningful player in Europe for a change. Also makes AI England a better ally since now you don't have to worry about them potentially not sending any troops over and just watching you die while they twiddle their thumbs and sit on their island with plenty of transports available.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

VDay posted:

Isn't that a big buff to AI England? They can still block the strait with their navy, but now they can at least move troops over without the naval AI freaking out and being unable to transport troops. Granted, 1.15 was supposed to make the AI better at prioritizing transporting of troops over blockades so maybe it won't be a huge change, but it seems like it'll let England actually be a meaningful player in Europe for a change. Also makes AI England a better ally since now you don't have to worry about them potentially not sending any troops over and just watching you die while they twiddle their thumbs and sit on their island with plenty of transports available.

Seems like it'd just buff AI England's allies, but I don't think it really buffs them. Now they'll just march their troops across and die, and/or occasionally have people actually invade them.

Edit: with the new strait-blocking rules, doesn't this mean that taking those two provinces nullifies England's navy?

junidog fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 28, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

Could someone else check and see if this is happening in their 1.15 games?

Yes, it happened to me. Brandenburg was allied to a one province Anhalt, and the reasons were something like +43/-56, with lots of it being war exhaustion because Anhalt lost a lot of provinces recently. They still honored the call to arms by Brandenburg when I declared war on them. Honorable of them for sure, but they were in no position to help and I creamed them.

q: Am I able to get Baltic Crusader and A Fine Goosestep in one playthrough, as the TO? I'll have to stay Catholic for quite some time to conquer and convert all of Russia/Crimea. Should I keep one province Protestant or Reformed so I can switch religions much later, or is something stopping me from doing that that I can't think of?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Given that, anyone else have any ideas on how to get started with Albania? I can survive just fine for the first 10-20 years but the Ottomans' warnings make it impossible to expand.

Apparently the answer is "Ally Austria and laugh as they go on an offensive war with Venice where they promise you Dalmatia, then use your new core to fabricate claims in Bosnia, attack Bosnia/Serbia/Venice with Austria since she owes you one, laugh as you have Yugoslavia in 1463" :stare:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

junidog posted:

Seems like it'd just buff AI England's allies, but I don't think it really buffs them. Now they'll just march their troops across and die, and/or occasionally have people actually invade them.

Edit: with the new strait-blocking rules, doesn't this mean that taking those two provinces nullifies England's navy?

Yeah, its a buff to everyone but England. The AI should prioritize having a navy to block that strait, but inevitably they won't occasionally, and hordes of troops from the continent will clowncar onto the isles.

On the flip side, as a player you'll probably be able to bait smaller enemies into Dover and then before they win the siege, wipe them out knowing they have nowhere to retreat to.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

VDay posted:

Isn't that a big buff to AI England?

When they tried this in V2- and, as far as I know, any time modders have tried it in any paradox game, the result is England/the UK gets hosed. :shrug:

Prepare to see French London in every game now I guess.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think this started with The Cossacks, and I'm guessing it is estate related: does anyone else notice that Noble Rebels are a constant problem for the AI? I am seeing them so frequently that I am thinking there has to be a problem somewhere.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Is there a way to place as a country in Random New World? Can't seem to find anything on the subject.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trundel posted:

Is there a way to place as a country in Random New World? Can't seem to find anything on the subject.

You want to play as a custom nation in a RNW? I think you'd have to enable the option that gets rid of the 'fog of war' after the map is generated. The drawback is that the new world is not a surprise. You could probably fudge this by zooming all the way in and then scrolling randomly around the map for a minute in the direction of the new world and trying to find a zoomed in section that looks fun.

Edit: the option you want is "terra incognita in lobby" set to "no". Then zoom way in, scroll west and find land and plant your custom vinland

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 28, 2016

Rapner
May 7, 2013

A post from our email chat group surrounding our weekly game:

quote:

Nick - your AI run England hosed me hard last night.

I had been sucking up to England furiously to try and lose rival status, as I was hoping we could take France apart together.

Suddenly, wham. I get the Iberian Wedding event and gain a personal union over Aragon and Naples at the same time. These nations are big and powerful but I'm sure I can keep them happy.... when England suddenly starts whispering in their ears about freedom and promises them support if they rebel, which they promptly do and I end up in a war for independence with me and Portugal on one side and England, Aragon and Naples on the other. gently caress.

Portugal and I did pretty well at holding them off for a year or two, then Morocco decides it'll be a good time to take back the land that I stole from them and declare war on me. A week later Tlemcemen or however it's spelt decides it's a good time to try and take my stolen Moroccan land away, and drags the Ottomans with them with their giant professional armies.

So now I have a giant 6 man rape train headed right for poor old Castile. Portugal goes 'lol nope' and peaces out of the war, and that's roughly where we saved the game for the night.

So yeah, gently caress England in their loving fat rat faces. Next session will involve me desperately trying to get a peace that isn't too costly so I can have my revenge.

I love how engaged people get with this game, especially newbies.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Was "skip song" there before?

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Baron Porkface posted:

Was "skip song" there before?

It was not, where did you find it? Please, do tell!

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
It's in the upper right hand corner near the speed dial.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
That's been there since at least Common Sense, IIRC

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally. It's always pissed me off that 'nextsong' is a cheat code for some reason. Also that strait will be amazing and make the British Isles not so detached it might as well be another continent. However yeah the AI is retarded and will probably prioritize blockading Denmark or something's capital while the AI gets a bunch of access and marches straight into London

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Albania or Iberia results after one night of play. I think this may be my best run yet. Even better than my Byzantine Empire run.

Accomplishments

-Complete Annexation of the Balkans by 1463
-Venice neutered down to OPM by 1480
-Foothold in Southern Italy that can be used to springboard to Iberia by 1504
-Naples no longer in union with Castille
-Best buddies with Austria, Brandenburg (emperor), Hungary and The Pope
-Joined the HRE
-Sank Aragonese and Castilian navy in the war for Neapolitan independence

How I did It

1. Ally Austria and pray the Ottomans and Venetians don't notice me
2. Get warned by the Ottomans
3. Ally Hungary with the help of a +diplomatic reputation adviser so I have enough friends that the Ottomans will go elsewhere
4. Fell out of my chair when Austria invited me into a war with Venice with the promise of territorial gains (Dalmatia)
5. Take Dalmatia after the war and get favors from Austria
6. Use Dalmatia to fabricate claims on Bosnia
7. DOW Bosnia after calling in Austrian favors which isn't impacted by the warning as it doesn't border the Ottomans
8. Fall out of my chair again when Venice answer the Call to Arms
9. Annex Serbia
10. Punch Venice in the face again
11. Annex Bosnia
12. Consolidate/Convert Yugoslavia
13. Pick Trade as my first idea group + Join the HRE
14. Help Austria castrate Venice for good, get more favors
15. Finish converting Yugoslavia, fabricate claims on Salento and build a big navy with an admiral
16. Laugh my rear end off as France+The Pope jump Castille+Aragon+Naples
17. DOW Naples
18. Sink the Neapolitan Navy
19. Work with Austria to siege down Naples
20. Sink the Castilian Navy
21. Siege down Sicily
22. Sink the Argonese Navy
23. Avoid the Portugese Navy as it's too big for me to sink right now
24. Let Austria capture Toledo, peace out with Salento+Calabria and Naples released
25. Write this post to tell you guys how to do this

Worries :ohdear:

-Ottomans have been expanding like nuts to my east
-France has grabbed some of Spain so unless Spain takes it back we'll come to blows over it
-Bohemia is getting big, the 30 Years War might be really, really ugly
-If Austria and Brandenburg come to blows I don't know who to support. Probably Austria?

I think I've got a really good shot at pulling it off, so long as I can hurt Castille enough so they don't become a colonial juggernaut. And assuming the Ottomans don't finally turn their eyes my way. Anyone else who wants to try and pull off what I think is the hardest, non-insane achievement, this is the strategy to go with. Although I guess you can't bank on Austria calling you into war like that...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can usually bank on everyone in Italy hating Venice's guts though, meaning they have no non-poo poo allies like The Knights or Provence, which ends up being about the same thing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

You can usually bank on everyone in Italy hating Venice's guts though, meaning they have no non-poo poo allies like The Knights or Provence, which ends up being about the same thing.

The main issue I saw was that given Albania's small army I was unable to withstand any kind of sustained Venetian attack if I couldn't grab an ally before they DOW'd. Plus, as soon as I fended them off the Ottomans would jump me and that necessitated a restart as I don't think there's any way to beat the Ottomans without any allies.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Strait of Dover is 20 miles wide, that's a long way to cross. What do straits represent again, places where you don't really need seaworthy vessels to cross?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

The main issue I saw was that given Albania's small army I was unable to withstand any kind of sustained Venetian attack if I couldn't grab an ally before they DOW'd. Plus, as soon as I fended them off the Ottomans would jump me and that necessitated a restart as I don't think there's any way to beat the Ottomans without any allies.

Yeah but that's like saying the hardest part of a TO game is surviving the first PLC attack. Meaning it's pretty much a given you restarted 10+ times to reach the year 1450 anyway.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

I think I've got a really good shot at pulling it off, so long as I can hurt Castille enough so they don't become a colonial juggernaut. And assuming the Ottomans don't finally turn their eyes my way. Anyone else who wants to try and pull off what I think is the hardest, non-insane achievement, this is the strategy to go with. Although I guess you can't bank on Austria calling you into war like that...
I did it through allying Wallachia and Hungary and then waiting for Venice to attack. Meanwhile I married Austria and kept relations up. When they declared war I let Hungary do the heavy-lifting and peaced out with Dalmatia and friuli. This got me close enough to Austria I ally. After that it was just a matter of slowly eating Venice and the rest of northern Italy and keeping an eye on AE. I managed to annex Bosnia and Serbia on my own by then and the ottomans were held back by my alliances. If you succeed it conquering all of northern Italy down to Rome you'll be rich enough to beat Spain without a doubt. I was swimming in money a century in or so. And remember that you really don't need to fight the ottomans to get to Caucasian Georgia. If you are lucky you can kind of jump there through smaller nations.

All in all I thought it was a really fun achievement, though stuff like the re-reconquista is a lot harder.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You will have to fight France for your achievement (same thing happened to my Re-Reconquista game). Unless France catches itself in some massive war with another alliance, you'll basically be fighting a massive apocalpytic war to grab one or two provinces.

Have fun!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Strait of Dover is 20 miles wide, that's a long way to cross. What do straits represent again, places where you don't really need seaworthy vessels to cross?

If the Strait of Dover is in, shouldn't there be one at Gibraltar too?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

If the Strait of Dover is in, shouldn't there be one at Gibraltar too?

Realistically speaking yes, the distance between spain/morrocco is smaller than the distance between england/france. Gameplay wise it fucks everything up because now the Iberians can double their power with north africa no longer being distant overseas..

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Odobenidae posted:

Realistically speaking yes, the distance between spain/morrocco is smaller than the distance between england/france. Gameplay wise it fucks everything up because now the Iberians can double their power with north africa no longer being distant overseas..

Not really. Conquering North Africa is awful in terms of payoff for the amount of points you need to dump into it. Grab the gold mine, leave the rest with a vassal. You don't really want to connect it anyways, as it'll mean paying full cost for coring Egypt eastwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Odobenidae posted:

I'd be more worried by the fact it gives them easier access to the area in general. I've seen Morocco able to stem the tide thanks to the naval AI being what it is/was/lack of transports. Adding a crossing would mean Portugal/Spain can get their troops over there easier, in full force, and faster.

Also, it not being distant overseas means it would eat up their admin points like no tomorrow thanks to Berber traditions.

• Locked thread