Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd argue that many nerds are burnt out on zombies (especially in table top games) and that the show is past its prime.

Honestly, I think the past season or so has been the solidest the show has ever been. And if they stick roughly to the comic, the remainder of this season and the next are gonna be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JerryLee posted:

I've come to realize that when I perceive some sort of series or genre as becoming oversaturated, it's not actually the property or the people who enjoy it that I hate, though I may sometimes project my frustrations onto them in moments of weakness. Rather, it's the opportunity cost of zombie games being manufactured instead of something that I'd enjoy more, which is really only a problem if I'm not getting enough of what I want. The problem is that our society's method for producing media is heavily lopsided towards big companies who will myopically chase after whatever they think they can milk dry, not people being innately Bad and Wrong for liking zombies.

The Bad and Wrong thing was a joke because I realised it sounded kind of narcissistic to assume that, just because I've been burnt out for years, other people must also have been :v:

But you're right, it's annoying because post-apoc has been sat on by zombies for ages and I miss post apoc that's not grimy grime grimeson or zombies. Hopefully Mad Max is going to bring back gonzo apocalypse, so I can get sick of that too :v:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

spectralent posted:

The Bad and Wrong thing was a joke because I realised it sounded kind of narcissistic to assume that, just because I've been burnt out for years, other people must also have been :v:

But you're right, it's annoying because post-apoc has been sat on by zombies for ages and I miss post apoc that's not grimy grime grimeson or zombies. Hopefully Mad Max is going to bring back gonzo apocalypse, so I can get sick of that too :v:

You should try post-timeskip The Walking Dead

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

boom boom boom posted:

Honestly, I think the past season or so has been the solidest the show has ever been. And if they stick roughly to the comic, the remainder of this season and the next are gonna be really good.

Honestly, your tastes are terrible and I take everything you recommend with a huge grain of salt.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I just DL'ed the free Warpath KS alpha rules. There are no army lists for the Mars Attacks stuff.

Is the Mars Attacks stuff that is available in the Warpath rules only for the Mars Attacks game or are they going to come out with lists for them?

Cause if not I need to change my pledge pronto.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

fnordcircle posted:

I just DL'ed the free Warpath KS alpha rules. There are no army lists for the Mars Attacks stuff.

Is the Mars Attacks stuff that is available in the Warpath rules only for the Mars Attacks game or are they going to come out with lists for them?

Cause if not I need to change my pledge pronto.

They'll have lists, just not in the book, they'll be in PDF form on the website only

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

They'll have lists, just not in the book, they'll be in PDF form on the website only

Yeah, they're not canon to the Warpath university so they won't be mentioned at all in the rules. But they will be supported for the game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

boom boom boom posted:

The Walking Dead is very, very popular.

I have no idea why so many people in this thread think The Walking Dead is some dying franchise that nobody cares about anymore.

It's because nerds disregard casual consumers and the mainstream media. So once something stops being the cool nerd thing for cool nerds it immediately becomes no longer popular or relevant to them, meaning that things like TWD often have much more popularity after they have ceased to matter to the nerd market. See: every time someone mentions Call of Duty in a videogames thread, there will always be people who will show up to go "wait, people actually care about CoD?", when it's clear that literally millions of people buy every CoD game, so yeah, more people care about CoD than care about Shovel Knight or whatever that months cool indie darling is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That burn on Shovel Knight feels a little unwarranted.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That burn on Shovel Knight feels a little unwarranted.

The Shovel Knight Jeep sold way worse than the Call of Duty Jeep, that's undeniable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah but why Shovel Knight. I'm just saying, there's like a bunch of people who like to randomly poo poo on games that are popular among nerds because they're "indie" or w/e and not mass market juggernauts and that always struck me as odd.

Also, I kind of wonder why TWD even needs a kickstarter at all. It's The Walking Dead.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also, I kind of wonder why TWD even needs a kickstarter at all. It's The Walking Dead.
It probably "does" in the Shenmue3 sense? KS is just as much an advertising platform as anything else.

Also: Probably Shovel Knight because he knew it would needle someone.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Ronnie seems to think that they need a wad of cash upfront to print the huge number of copies they will need. It is less about the risk of making a new game and more about producing enough stock to meet demand apparently.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, that's probably a good idea then. TWD is probably going to do well enough in retail that they can get out of this weird kickstarter cycle they're in but first they need the cash to actually make it happen. That and kickstarters are a pretty cheap advertising hook.

Spiderdrake posted:

It probably "does" in the Shenmue3 sense? KS is just as much an advertising platform as anything else.

Also: Probably Shovel Knight because he knew it would needle someone.

it worked

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Here's the Governor.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah but why Shovel Knight. I'm just saying, there's like a bunch of people who like to randomly poo poo on games that are popular among nerds because they're "indie" or w/e and not mass market juggernauts and that always struck me as odd.

Uh, I like Shovel Knight? It's just for a while that was the go to "Stupid casuals, THIS is the kind of game that should be popular!" and it's like, yeah it's a good game, but it's also a pretty niche retro themed platformer that got a pretty amazing amount of sales for what it was.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
Kings of War Two Player Box is 49$ on Amazon right now. Is there anything in particular I should get in addition to that? I know I'll need a ridiculous amount of dice. How important are the tokens and stuff? I saw a battle report use some kind of wedge to figure out line of sight or something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Uh, I like Shovel Knight? It's just for a while that was the go to "Stupid casuals, THIS is the kind of game that should be popular!" and it's like, yeah it's a good game, but it's also a pretty niche retro themed platformer that got a pretty amazing amount of sales for what it was.

Its the same thing that happens for EVERYTHING that is popular in the mainstream.

How many people have you heard going "The new star wars is crap!" on the internet, while it goes on to become one of (if not THE) the biggest selling films of all time. Nerds just like to hate on whats popular, it makes them feel big.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

flamingweedle posted:

Kings of War Two Player Box is 49$ on Amazon right now. Is there anything in particular I should get in addition to that? I know I'll need a ridiculous amount of dice. How important are the tokens and stuff? I saw a battle report use some kind of wedge to figure out line of sight or something.

You need tokens for wavering, tokens for disordered, if the battle is large enough that you can't remember every unit that needs it then also nerve test tokens, if you have multiples of the same type of units but give each one different magic items, then maybe a token each to indicate that. The line of sight wedge is just a pretty basic 45 degree measure. Damage is usually recorded on dice you put behind each uint, but there are custom ways to do this as well, such as stacking tokens, dials, etc

There's a Mantic token set, but imo you're better off checking out what laser cutters are doing, because funky tokens are their thing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

To be fair, instead of fancy tokens you can get away with notes on bits of paper for the most part. Unless you really get into it and play a lot of games it's probably not worth investing actual money into them.

Indicating which units need nerve tests is fairly simple, just put a couple of dice behind the unit. Then when it's time to take the test, roll them. Only needed during shooting 'cause in melee you roll straight away.

I tend to use non-D6 dice to record damage (e.g. D20s, specifically spin down counters from MTG) as then it's more obvious they don't need rolling, though one of our local players uses the tiny D6s from Warhammer Quest. So long as it's clear they're just for damage and you don't accidentally roll them it's fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Their ticket system goes live on Monday. Fingers crossed...

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Zark the Damned posted:

To be fair, instead of fancy tokens you can get away with notes on bits of paper for the most part. Unless you really get into it and play a lot of games it's probably not worth investing actual money into them.

Indicating which units need nerve tests is fairly simple, just put a couple of dice behind the unit. Then when it's time to take the test, roll them. Only needed during shooting 'cause in melee you roll straight away.

I tend to use non-D6 dice to record damage (e.g. D20s, specifically spin down counters from MTG) as then it's more obvious they don't need rolling, though one of our local players uses the tiny D6s from Warhammer Quest. So long as it's clear they're just for damage and you don't accidentally roll them it's fine.

I like the little trays that hold d6es like Mantic did in the KS - you can use any die that's to hand and the tray holds them in place so they don't get knocked and you can tell they're for damage. I had Warbases make me a bunch by asking for http://war-bases.co.uk/ACCESSORIES/GAMING-AIDS?product_id=530 in 12mm with bases to match and they came out well:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Andrea

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I mean I know it's not exactly sci-fi or high fantasy, but these characters just look all really bland and uninteresting. I mean the sculpts themselves seem competent, but they're just all kinda meh.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It doesn't help that they're starting at the beginning. If it was one arm Rick and scarred Andrea and tank assault Governor, they'd look a lot cooler.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I sent my walking dead watching friend the promo image with the box and he said "that looks amazing"

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I would like to build my own gangs ala necromunda and hire / points buy special characters as guests (mercs) or heros.

I don't hate the idea of a walking dead mini game but I have to admit I was pretty damned excited at the possibility of a fallout game with a large range of fallout stuff and the possibility of converting minis from other games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Drone posted:

I mean I know it's not exactly sci-fi or high fantasy, but these characters just look all really bland and uninteresting. I mean the sculpts themselves seem competent, but they're just all kinda meh.

I think that's what they're going for. It's being marketed as a board game so large empty space one piece miniatures that that don't necessarily need to be painted are expected.

Besides, bland uninspired character art that all kind of look the same is what TWD is known for. At least after Adlard took over in issue 7.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The TWD stuff would look :krad: painted in greyscale.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That's what I've been thinking as well but I don't think my friends would get it as show watchers

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not sure I'd want to build a B&W table and commit the figures to only TWD though.

Then again, those Heroclix print-and-build cities on Drivethru would make awesome B&W TWD terrain. If for some reason I didn't have enough on my plate.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Where are the alpha rules anyway? I tried looking around the PM / mantic digital and nothing came up?

Also no excitement for the GCPS sprues?

I kinda think they look rad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
New GCPS infantry renders in the latest kickstarter update. They have different weapon options shown as well as the heavy weapon teams. They look drat good.

Edit: gently caress

moths
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo, that was the one army I wasn't even considering using my pledge on.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Those exaggerated proportions, especially in the heads, for some reason reminds me of Thunderbirds marionettes and now I can't unsee it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

darnon posted:

Those exaggerated proportions, especially in the heads, for some reason reminds me of Thunderbirds marionettes and now I can't unsee it.

The default heads are dumb as gently caress but they'll look really slick with some Peter Pig or Eisenkern heads thrown on them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the visor down ones that look like doom marines a lot, but I'm not sure those are on the HIPS sprues.

How are Eisenkern minis? I had considered buying someone when meeple had them in stock, and i do think I will ultimately need some minis to test out my Lost exo realm color schemes on before I get my enforcers.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
The heads look derpy as heck, but that's easily fixed by a replacement from PuppetsWar. However they do have another flaw and that's a lack of calves for the miniature. The length of the thigh is fine down to where the kneepads are, but then the leg shortens far too soon, and looks like they have ankles and shins going straight into being knees without the requisite amount of calf required.

I do like the guns they have gone for, though the size of the HMG and Grenade Launcher makes them look very unweildy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I finalized my warpath pledge as Forge Father battlegroup, Forge Father vehicles, Hornets, and +1 Forge Father vehicle. I'm planning on doing marauders as a orx-only force. Anyone have a good idea if this will work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

signalnoise posted:

I finalized my warpath pledge as Forge Father battlegroup, Forge Father vehicles, Hornets, and +1 Forge Father vehicle. I'm planning on doing marauders as a orx-only force. Anyone have a good idea if this will work?

Only problem I forsee is a lack of vehicles, but there's nothing stopping you from saying that Hornet and eventual tank are part of a payment in equipment being driven by Goblins.