Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Now and Then, Here and There, mentioned above, will punch you in the gut. It's unrelenting sad.

e: also Eva, if you didn't participate in the simulwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I've seen Eva before outside the simul. It's been a while, but from what I recall it's not quite the target here. I had considered adding it to the example list, but I don't recall it being quite hitting enough. Sort of like the gender angst stuff in Simoun doesn't do enough to qualify it compared to Wandering Son, despite a few strong punches. At least not without a good chunk of explanation, and Wandering Son basically covers most of the bases there I think anyway.

I'll look at Now and Then as well though.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Magnetic Rose segment of Memories. Idk if it's really what you're looking for but it's about loss and it made me cry.
I'll see about tracking this down too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If it's been a while since you watched Eva, I'd definitely recommend a rewatch sometime. It's been a good dozen years for me, and the first time it didn't do much for me, but I'm right now paused in the middle of the penultimate episode because it got a bit too intense, too sad, too real. I guess it's more about individuals being sad by themselves and less about folks being sad because of circumstances or others' actions, though, so I could see how that might not scratch your current itch.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

And maybe I will! Asking about this has kind of indicated to me that I don't remember some shows very well at all off the top of my head.

I don't think it's so much what causes their sadness per se that I'm looking for, but more them being driven in a personal way nearly inseparably by that thing for better and worse (Kiritsugu, Kotoura, Wandering Son) and/or to a personal tragic event that they both do and don't want to avoid (Tutu, Utena, From the New World) in some way. As opposed to just being depressed or sad without it being central or necessary to their personality/plot/actions. Probably not the best wording even given that this is just a short paragraph, but hopefully understandable.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 28, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kylra posted:

And maybe I will! Asking about this has kind of indicated to me that I don't remember some shows very well at all off the top of my head.

I don't think it's so much what causes their sadness per se that I'm looking for, but more them being driven in a personal way nearly inseparably by that thing for better and worse (Kiritsugu, Kotoura, Wandering Son) and/or to a personal tragic event that they both do and don't want to avoid (Tutu, Utena, From the New World) in some way. As opposed to just being depressed or sad without it being central or necessary to their personality/plot/actions. Probably not the best wording even given that this is just a short paragraph, but hopefully understandable.

Have you seen any of Shinkai's films? 5cm per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Garden of Words might be right up your alley.

If manga works, read Solanin and/or Nijigahara Holograph.

e: a couple of those movies are even on crunchyroll, I think.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 28, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Kiritsugu's poo poo in Fate Zero
The more melancholic parts of Kotoura-san
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Saikano

Don't watch if you have any sharp objects or a large amount of painkillers around though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 28, 2016

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Yeah, this. I mean, most of the other recommendations have their sad bits, but nothing else I've seen has had such an all-encompassing, pervasive air of misery and sadness. In all seriousness, make sure you're approaching this from a healthy place because Saikano will put you through a wringer.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GorfZaplen posted:

The Magnetic Rose segment of Memories. Idk if it's really what you're looking for but it's about loss and it made me cry.
Does anyone remember the parts of Memories other than Magnetic Rose?

Saikano doesn't really make you cry so much as make you depressed. It's still the best at doing that particular thing, though, and the ending packs a real punch.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the part where the guy's farts kill everyone

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Go watch Casshern Sins.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

Does anyone remember the parts of Memories other than Magnetic Rose?

Yeah Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder both own too.

The Stink Bomb is my least favourite but has some amazingly animated sections and Cannon Fodder is experimental as gently caress with its sketchy art and industrial techno soundtrack.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Guys can you recommend me a historical anime. Basically I saw Hyouge Mono, liked it a lot, so now I'm craving for more. Things I'm looking for in particular

1) at least pre-WW2, preferably pre-Meiji (1868? or thereabouts) Japan

2) main character/s are adults

3) no silly stuff (magic that doesn't fall into folklore/tradition category, super-powered chuuni fights etc);

Does something like that exist?

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Kylra posted:

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

If you haven't seen Twelve Kingdoms it might be worth a shot. The start is incredibly slow but it picks up after the first 6 or so episodes.

Escaflowne might be worth a look too.

Kubla Khan posted:

Guys can you recommend me a historical anime. Basically I saw Hyouge Mono, liked it a lot, so now I'm craving for more. Things I'm looking for in particular

3) no silly stuff (magic that doesn't fall into folklore/tradition category, super-powered chuuni fights etc);

Sword of the Stranger, Samurai Champloo and Samurai X:Trust & Betrayal all fit. Moribito is in a fantasy world so it doesn't quite fit but you should watch it anyway because it's really low fantasy and really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kubla Khan posted:

You could try The Hakkenden, it's a 13 episode OVA from the 90's, there's a fairly large fantasy element but it's mostly rooted in Shinto practices and folklore, there's no super powered battles or anything. It's set in 15th century Japan and mostly grounded in actual history. It also has Masaaki Yuasa's first directorial work on a couple of episodes.
Don't confuse it with the otome game adaptation from a couple of years ago though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kubla Khan posted:

La Chevalier Deon.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

I've never seen the anime, but judging by the manga Lone Wolf and Cub might work.

Edit: Oh wait, there isn't an anime, that's live action. Oh well, consider it a manga recommendation then.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Alright, I think I have enough to look into the next weekend or two. Thanks everyone!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kylra posted:

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

k-on! You will cry at the end of k-on

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Namtab posted:

k-on! You will cry at the end of k-on

can confirm

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kubla Khan posted:

Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales is an old police procedural anime set in feudal Japan. All the available episodes are on youtube

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Kubla Khan posted:

House of Five Leaves?

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Rotoru posted:

Moribito is in a fantasy world so it doesn't quite fit but you should watch it anyway because it's really low fantasy and really good.

Moribito is good, and has probably the best female protagonist in anime, but it is also brutally slow at times.

It's more slice of life in 1400's Asia than the action that you might think it should be.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

buzmeg posted:

Moribito is good, and has probably the best female protagonist in anime, but it is also brutally slow at times.

It's more slice of life in 1400's Asia than the action that you might think it should be.

It's not slow, it just has a bunch of episodes detailing their lives while one guy investigates something in the background of the episodes rather than progressing the overall plot.

It's definitely different from slow pacing. I could break down exactly what I'm talking about but it would involve spoilers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what is a good anime that stars a female main character who uses a sword

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ninjewtsu posted:

Slayers

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ninjewtsu posted:

Rose of Versailles is great.

EDIT: And has a good theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhvjA5nPNA

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 3, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Too bad Utena is the least interesting character in the show for the majority of it and shows no interest or initiative in learning anything at all about her situation and what's going on.

She's not unlikable or anything and it's deliberate and all, I just didn't find her a particularly engaging character. Which is why the show usually focuses on everybody but her.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

female characters being impossibly stupid shounen protagonists is a step forwards for gender equality

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm browsing at 1920x1080 and that still broke my loving tables, re-timg that please

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a billion trapped in a game mangas, but I'm partial to this one called World Customize Creator.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/World-Customize-Creator

The premise is, as usual, dude gets sucked into fantasy world. Difference is, god or whoever forgot to disable the ingame console, so he basically just types console commands on some mystical panel only he can see to create castles and walls and equipment for people. It's kinda laid back too, which is nice. It's not constantly in your face about stuff like series like overlord or something might be

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

ninjewtsu posted:

Must it be a sword? If a spear will do, I can't really think of any female character better than Balsa from Seirei no Moribito.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

Juuni Kokuki is a very good show that fits that criteria.

Youko is not cool at the start, but becomes very cool over time.

What I liked about Juuni Kokuki and its rotating cast of protagonists was that it wasn't afraid to make them heavily flawed or unlikable prior to their development, and their development was not necessarily a straight line from bad to good. Lots of good character development all around.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just watched the original Ghost in the Shell movie and really enjoyed it. What else in the series is worth watching?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I just watched the original Ghost in the Shell movie and really enjoyed it. What else in the series is worth watching?

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is the sequel, and it's... okay. Plot's kinda bugfuck but it's a very pretty movie to watch. Stand Alone Complex is probably a better place to start next though.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Innocence is the kind of movie you just... wallow in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

1000% the Stand Alone Complex franchise (two TV series and one movie).

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM-BO0ccO38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

i love innocence but it elaborates on the deliberate pace, constant philosophizing, and overall mood of the first, rather than focusing on the procedural aspects. sac is definitely better if you prefer the latter, but i'm not a big fan. i realize i'm in the minority here.

if you like the movies just watch all of oshii's other stuff.