Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm still upset Lopez died

Man, me too. That guy was only around for a couple of episodes but somehow left a lasting impression.

I also feel a little bad for calling Elias Toufexis 'Adam Jensen' but the guy literally sounds like that IRL and was augmented in show. It's like fate was calling him to the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Reviewer at AV Club (describing hotel fight scene) states that Amos didnt know what was about to happen. :suicide:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahaha way to notice stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShaqDiesel posted:

Reviewer at AV Club (describing hotel fight scene) states that Amos didnt know what was about to happen. :suicide:

C'mon. I think AVClub is busy smelling its own farts these days, but that's a pretty disingenuous take on this.

quote:

As Holden waits in line to talk to a desk clerk, Amos and Kenzo watch suspicious strangers filtering into the room. Kenzo knows what’s coming; Amos doesn’t, but clearly suspects something is up.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

flosofl posted:

C'mon. I think AVClub is busy smelling its own farts these days, but that's a pretty disingenuous take on this.

Maybe he doesn't know exactly what's going down but then neither would Kenzo. Both they know it's trouble and Amos especially ) gear up for trouble. You're right though I didn't read it after "Amos doesn't ". :downs:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ShaqDiesel posted:

He was looking at those fly honeys, getting a lil hot and needed to open his jacket.
Legit reading of the scene I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShaqDiesel posted:

Maybe he doesn't know exactly what's going down but then neither would Kenzo. Both they know it's trouble and Amos especially ) gear up for trouble. You're right though I didn't read it after "Amos doesn't ". :downs:

Kenzo got a message on his HUD that specifically said a hit squad was inbound and the police would not interfere at the hotel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kegslayer posted:

From memory, she's described in the book as basically having vomited/bleed these extra growths or tube things from every orifice. I always imagined it as like someone had planted a massive fungus like vine inside a body and the vine is growing slowly and trying to get out of said body anyway possible.

It's disturbing and alien but not exactly facevagina gore.

That sounds like something out of bloodborne or The Thing and I would have loved some more tentacles.

Honestly at first I thought she was just covered in spiders! I was like eww gross, space spiders, somebody get those off her! I guess they're supposed to be like, veiny growths instead? I just kinda see spiders.

Shoulda made her more like this:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

That sounds like something out of bloodborne or The Thing and I would have loved some more tentacles.

Honestly at first I thought she was just covered in spiders! I was like eww gross, space spiders, somebody get those off her! I guess they're supposed to be like, veiny growths instead? I just kinda see spiders.

Same. I was legit expecting them to start scuttling around to escape the light.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Zaphod42 posted:

They've massively toned down the body horror stuff from the engine room of the stealth ship that I don't remember the name of but the Julie in bathtub isn't that different from the book if you squint a little.

The hotel scene in the book (spoilers probably unnecessary but whatever):

The fluid marked a thin path toward the bathroom. Miller raised a hand, pushing the others back as he crept toward the half-open door. Inside the bathroom, the nasty background smell was much stronger. Something deep, organic, and intimate. Manure in a hothouse, or the aftermath of sex, or a slaughterhouse. All of them. The toilet was brushed steel, the same model they used in prisons. The sink matched. The LED above it and the one in the ceiling had both been destroyed. In the light of his terminal, like the glow of a single candle, black tendrils reached from the shower stall toward the ruined lights, bent and branching like skeletal leaves.

In the shower stall, Juliette Andromeda Mao lay dead.

Her eyes were closed, and that was a mercy. She'd cut her hair differently since she'd taken the pictures Miller had seen, and it changed the shape of her face, but she was unmistakable. She was nude, and barely human. Coils of complex growth spilled from her mouth, ears, and vulva. Her ribs and spine had grown spurs like knives that stretched pale skin, ready to cut themselves free of her. Tubes stretched from her back and throat, crawling up the walls behind her. A deep brown slush had leaked from her, filling the shower pan almost three centimeters high. He sat silently, willing the thing before him not to be true, trying to force himself awake.

What did they do to you? he thought. Oh, kid. What did they do?

"Ohmygod," Naomi said behind him.

"Don't touch anything," he said. "Get out of the room. Into the hall. Do it now."

The light in the next room faded as the hand terminals retreated. The twisting shadows momentarily gave her body the illusion of movement. Miller waited, but no breath lifted the bent rib cage. No flicker touched her eyelids. There was nothing. He rose, carefully checking his cuffs and shoes, and walked out to the corridor.

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 28, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah the book version is definitely way more intense. There's a couple details in there I didn't need to visualize so strongly though :stare:

Kinda sad they just went with the spiders after reading that. Really need to get some The Thing style horrors going on here, tentacles all over the place. Guess they didn't wanna gross people out too much, but comeon! If you're gonna do space body horror you gotta go all the way.

Wonder what they're going to do next. I mean, whatever that Mao-Thing is, you can't just leave it there. But you also don't want it spreading to the rest of the station. :ohdear:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

Kenzo got a message on his HUD that specifically said a hit squad was inbound and the police would not interfere at the hotel.

Kenzo pretty much knew what would happen, which is why he was able to escape the shoot out .

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Kenzo pretty much knew what would happen, which is why he was able to escape the shoot out .

Yeah, he was specifically an Earth asset on Tycho. They weren't going to burn him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, he was specifically an Earth asset on Tycho. They weren't going to burn him.

I'm glad that he got away since it showed he's a pretty sneaky survivor type personality.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

flosofl posted:

Yeah you're right. Got my character names messed up. Disregard all further posts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

He never asked to be a corporate spy

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tortolia posted:

No, he was a corporate spy that was loaned to the UN. They most definitely would have killed him.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm still upset Lopez died

Yeah, same. Dude's own show just got cancelled, I would've been totally okay with them sparing him his book fate to be a recurring character, because we don't really have a face for Mars' side of things (yet).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KatWithHands posted:

Yeah, same. Dude's own show just got cancelled, I would've been totally okay with them sparing him his book fate to be a recurring character, because we don't really have a face for Mars' side of things (yet).

Yeah it really felt like they were setting him up to be the sole survivor of the Donnager, he was coming with them and he seemed like a pretty nice guy with a very different world view than the others.

And then nope! :rip:

On the other hand, I do like the game of thrones style "nobody is safe, anybody can die at any time, space is dangerous" reminder. Like when Shed ate it in the first few episodes. I was sitting there going "oh, of course those are the people who got off the Cant just in time to survive, they're the bigger actors, so I guess these guys are safe" and then poor Shed lost his Head.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

KatWithHands posted:

I liked him a whole lot too, not only was the actor portrayal very good but also his character was very interesting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ozmunkeh posted:

They've massively toned down the body horror stuff from the engine room of the stealth ship that I don't remember the name of but the Julie in bathtub isn't that different from the book if you squint a little.

The hotel scene in the book (spoilers probably unnecessary but whatever):

The fluid marked a thin path toward the bathroom. Miller raised a hand, pushing the others back as he crept toward the half-open door. Inside the bathroom, the nasty background smell was much stronger. Something deep, organic, and intimate. Manure in a hothouse, or the aftermath of sex, or a slaughterhouse. All of them. The toilet was brushed steel, the same model they used in prisons. The sink matched. The LED above it and the one in the ceiling had both been destroyed. In the light of his terminal, like the glow of a single candle, black tendrils reached from the shower stall toward the ruined lights, bent and branching like skeletal leaves.

In the shower stall, Juliette Andromeda Mao lay dead.

Her eyes were closed, and that was a mercy. She'd cut her hair differently since she'd taken the pictures Miller had seen, and it changed the shape of her face, but she was unmistakable. She was nude, and barely human. Coils of complex growth spilled from her mouth, ears, and vulva. Her ribs and spine had grown spurs like knives that stretched pale skin, ready to cut themselves free of her. Tubes stretched from her back and throat, crawling up the walls behind her. A deep brown slush had leaked from her, filling the shower pan almost three centimeters high. He sat silently, willing the thing before him not to be true, trying to force himself awake.

What did they do to you? he thought. Oh, kid. What did they do?

"Ohmygod," Naomi said behind him.

"Don't touch anything," he said. "Get out of the room. Into the hall. Do it now."

The light in the next room faded as the hand terminals retreated. The twisting shadows momentarily gave her body the illusion of movement. Miller waited, but no breath lifted the bent rib cage. No flicker touched her eyelids. There was nothing. He rose, carefully checking his cuffs and shoes, and walked out to the corridor.

yeah if anything a lot of superweapon scenes in the book like the Anubis were closer to grotesque barf bag body horror found in the Dead Space games.

I guess they decided to turn down the barf bag factor for the show.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 28, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I thought it might be to keep the rating down, but then I remembered one of the very first scenes was Holden space loving the navigator.

Maybe they thought the body horror aesthetic was overdone, and just decided to do something different.

KatWithHands posted:

He'd be stepping all over Bobbie's toes though!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I thought it might be to keep the rating down, but then I remembered one of the very first scenes was Holden space loving the navigator.

Maybe they thought the body horror aesthetic was overdone, and just decided to do something different.
He'd be stepping all over Bobbie's toes though!

I think they figured they'd go for the game of thrones audience with gratuitous sex and lots of intrigue. You can have violence and even gore by that method, but the violence is usually "hoorah! get em!" and not "oh my god that's loving disgusting."

I could have used a little more Cronenberg when they found the dead girl (and with the blue goo too, it seemed almost a little too benevolent. After all apparently the cast is able to deduce "it felt like a weapon" so it should probably look a little more threatening) but I'd rather not see a corpse with tentacles coming out of its mouth, vulva, etc. like the book described. That's a little too far.

You gotta find a nice happy medium like

That doesn't make me wanna barf at all, but it does stay with me and gently caress with my mind to look at the unnatural ways it moves around and the surrealistic way its almost-human-but-not.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

KatWithHands posted:

Lopez giving his life for them was a pretty big scene in the book - I'm afraid he was doomed from the start. But I too loved the portrayal, would have been nice if he'd lived and could have been the symbol of Martian aspirations.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

gohmak posted:

The the smirk he gave Miller after he threatened to kill Holden if he touched him again.

Relive the moment forever.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WanderingKid posted:

Amos owns.

What's Fred going to do with the data recording from Lopez? I thought Lopez/the captain had given Holden a copy too?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It was telemetry data from their sensors, Lopez had the only copy as far as I could see.

I doubt Holden even knew about it, since he'd already been marched off the bridge when the captain handed it over, and Lopez was too busy being dead to tell him later.

edit: as for what he's going to do with it... haven't read the books in years but I think it's a safe bet that proof the OPA or Martians didn't attack the Canterbury could come in handy.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 29, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The tech shows him something off-camera that makes Fred blanch a little bit but they don't go back and drop the other shoe :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

The tech shows him something off-camera that makes Fred blanch a little bit but they don't go back and drop the other shoe :shrug:

If anything the tech blanched on it just as much as he did.

Although I found the dialogue there kinda clumsy, "what are you going to do sir?". Not "what should we do?", but explicitly "what are you going to do, sir?". I get that he's a big deal or whatever but it just seemed a little weird, but that was probably intentional.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Alex in shock pointing his gun at the civilian shouting "don't" was outstanding. The could have played it for laughs but they played it dead serious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WanderingKid posted:

Don't worry, I gave him an occular patdown.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Did Miller order his Number Four burrito-style or was that my imagination? Love little details like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jet Jaguar posted:

Did Miller order his Number Four burrito-style or was that my imagination?

He did.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jet Jaguar posted:

Did Miller order his Number Four burrito-style or was that my imagination? Love little details like that.

I'd like to think it was going to be a space sushi burrito.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bloodychill posted:

I'd like to think it was going to be a space sushi burrito.

Now I'm hungry.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

movax posted:

Amos owns.

What's Fred going to do with the data recording from Lopez? I thought Lopez/the captain had given Holden a copy too?

OPA stuff? If Mars and Earth didn't know about the attack and are desperate for information then Fred and the OPA can worm their say into a seat at the table.

Holden definitely doesn't know anything about the chip which led to that subtle scene last episode with Fred Johnson where he's all like yeah Holden, you definitely got one over me. What a player you are :v:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

WanderingKid posted:

Someone please make this into an avatar or smiley, we need "Amos approves" around the forums.

Heck, I'll even buy the avatar for myself if someone does it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wonder how many takes it took to get that, because it's not exactly a simple shot (focus change). One of the things I really appreciate about the show in general is all the great camera work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I wonder how many takes it took to get that, because it's not exactly a simple shot (focus change). One of the things I really appreciate about the show in general is all the great camera work.

It's actually pretty basic. Both actors are standing on preset marks, the cameraman just racks focus to set points that stand-ins were used to set up in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't worry, I gave him an occular patdown.

Lol. Amos is who Mac is in his own fanfiction.

• Locked thread