Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Who the heck could hate Olivier, that guy is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Amppelix posted:

Much like in Dark Souls, where you eventually realize that it's much more important how your character looks than what their stats are, I have managed to tear myself away from the thinking of "I can't use this party member because another one is better", which is very freeing. The optimal party would contain Oliver pretty much all the time and then probably Kevin for his broken crafts, and that's a boring duo and Oliver is insufferable. Also when you actually use the worse party members you'll discover that they have their good points too and will have to work a little harder to put those good points to use, which is fun for me.

But speaking of character balance, it has to be a crime that Tita is still somehow the worst (after also being the worst in Trails FC). I cannot even figure out what her intended use is supposed to be. Her grid is a mess and she's element-locked to space, the worst element. Her offensive stats kinda blow. She has the lowest HP and barely above average EP. Did the designers really overestimate the usefulness of the AoE on her attacks/crafts? Sure, blinding/applying whatever other status to a whole bunch of mooks is cool but the damage is not spectacular and all the tough enemies are immune to everything anyway.

Your ideas would be fine, if not for your consistent proof of terribleness.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ya'll might wanna tag the name of the character that joins your team in the literal final dungeon of the game for newcomers, btw.

edit: Olivier rules and you'd have to be some kind of unperson not to enjoy him.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 28, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A certain Vander may occasionally disagree with you. :v:

But yes, Olivier is a great character.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I agree that Olivier (sorry) is a good character; I love to hate him!

Some Numbers posted:

Uh, clearly you're mistaken, Space has EP Cut, which is the best quartz???

Also, Space makes AoEs possible. How is it the worst?

Yeah, space has exactly one good quartz, EP cut. It has almost no spells and thus all the other quartz are almost worthless because you never need that much space. Basically as long as you equip an EP (which is not even a space quartz so Tita gets hosed there too) and an EP cut, you have enough to do anything you want. Tita has to use two out of her four quartz (of her longest line) for the useless-rear end space element and has no hope of ever meeting the requirements for the only space-type attacking spell with only those four, so it is a complete and utter waste. And because of that element lock she will never be able to get a sensible combination of quartz going and you always have to do some sort of weird compromise where she can get some pretty useful spells but not the best ones, or exactly one good spell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I actually found that I really wanted Olivier's Mirage lock to be a Space lock, because I liked the effect and the elements from EP Cut much better than EP.

More accurately, I hated having to use a slot on EP.

Granted, Silver Thorn changed the paradigm a bit, but not that much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Oliver is strange. He is like a character that on paper is suppose to annoy the gently caress out of you. Yet he is appealing and hilarious. Like a parallel universe where Jar Jar Binks is entertaining.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 28, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Amppelix posted:

I agree that Olivier (sorry) is a good character; I love to hate him!

Yeah, space has exactly one good quartz, EP cut. It has almost no spells and thus all the other quartz are almost worthless because you never need that much space. Basically as long as you equip an EP (which is not even a space quartz so Tita gets hosed there too) and an EP cut, you have enough to do anything you want. Tita has to use two out of her four quartz (of her longest line) for the useless-rear end space element and has no hope of ever meeting the requirements for the only space-type attacking spell with only those four, so it is a complete and utter waste. And because of that element lock she will never be able to get a sensible combination of quartz going and you always have to do some sort of weird compromise where she can get some pretty useful spells but not the best ones, or exactly one good spell.

Tita isn't supposed to be an art user to begin with and if you're using her to sling spells, you're using her wrong. The space element on her orbment simply allows her to use stuff like multi-target buffs, which require space points. Tita's purpose is a ranged physical attacker (her attack is on par with Estelle when they're at the same level) who can snipe stuff from really far away, do AOE damage (even against stuff that resists blindness, Smoke Cannon can still be used as a ranged attack with increased AOE and grid-targetting), inflict status ailment mayhem on mooks and have a really good healing craft that heals a nice bit of damage, is grid-targetable, has a fairly large AOE, cures status ailments and is the only way to remove debuffs from multiple characters at the same time.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 28, 2016

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Has anyone managed to beat (Final Chapter ToCS) Loa Erebonius on Hard without cheesing in some manner? I was level 65ish and had to resort to S-Craft spam via Zeram Powders. Besides that or Chrono Burst abuse I really don't see how you're supposed to kill it without grinding a bunch of levels.

Also this game has an even worse cliffhanger ending than TitS, drat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oliver is strange. He is like a character that on paper is suppose to annoy the gently caress out of you. Yet he is appealing and hilarious. Like a parallel universe where Jar Jar Binks is entertaining.

i like olivier because he's silly and fun, but he's also competent and helps out a lot when he needs to, while otherwise being a lovable doofus who helps lighten the mood on purpose because he doesn't like it when people get super serious

in other words, he's a cool guy and i'd hang with him

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I called him Oliver for ages and didn't realise that wasn't his name til just now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
olivier is probably one of my favorite characters in any jrpg honestly, along with estelle

everyone else is really cool too, i don't think there's a character in tits i don't like, olivier and estelle are just top-tier

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't think there's a character in tits i don't like
Tita is annoying. Agate is too generic for my taste as well even knowing his interesting backstory.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Olivier improves a lot in SC when he actually gets a significant amount of screen time. Not to say he's bad in FC, but he ends up growing significantly as a person because of his time with the rest of the cast in pretty tangible ways that leads into the later games in the series, and you can see how much he grows to care for Estelle and Joshua, and how Estelle especially begins to appreciate the fact that he, despite his goofiness, goes out of his way to help them out. Plus he's a competent and super nice dude who just wants to have a good time.

I just really like how he gets so much relatively subtle character development over the two games that I'm picking up on a lot more strongly as I replay the games.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 28, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How is that Tokyo Xanadu game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ToCS is fairly easy on the normal difficulty, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Mostly, although Enemy Advantage will still hurt and some of the old schoolhouse bosses can be rough if you don't know what ailments to prepare for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd play it on hard if you want any sort of challenge. A few bosses can be rough but if you're coming into them with full s-crafts and pay attention to what status elements the bosses are weak to (most are susceptible to at least a couple) they still aren't too bad.

protip though, be sure to have prevent confuse equipment for your second trip into the schoolhouse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, thanks

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ojetor posted:

Has anyone managed to beat (Final Chapter ToCS) Loa Erebonius on Hard without cheesing in some manner? I was level 65ish and had to resort to S-Craft spam via Zeram Powders. Besides that or Chrono Burst abuse I really don't see how you're supposed to kill it without grinding a bunch of levels.

Also this game has an even worse cliffhanger ending than TitS, drat.

I feel like I didn't have any trouble with Impede 2 Quartz and every impeding move in my arsenal. I also used a level 5 Moebius quartz to throw absurdo food buffs on the party. I think the only actual hits he got were counter attacks when Rean would miss his attacks.

EDIT: My party was Rean, Laura, Fie and Emma. Emma was just there to throw items.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

I feel like I didn't have any trouble with Impede 2 Quartz and every impeding move in my arsenal. I also used a level 5 Moebius quartz to throw absurdo food buffs on the party. I think the only actual hits he got were counter attacks when Rean would miss his attacks.

EDIT: My party was Rean, Laura, Fie and Emma. Emma was just there to throw items.

You might as well blow all your Zerams in that fight if you're using Moebius cheese. It's not like there's a better place to use them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

You might as well blow all your Zerams in that fight if you're using Moebius cheese. It's not like there's a better place to use them.

I only fought him the once but I used like one Zeram total. The rest of the time it was Juicy Kebabs and I hit him with anything that would delay his turns. He never took a turn of his own. I wasn't confident my S-Crafts could kill him before he moved is all. I'll try that on Nightmare if it's still a valid strategy there though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Do Master Quartz levels carry over to NG+?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think if you choose to keep your inventory, you keep your master quartz XP.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Some Numbers posted:

Do Master Quartz levels carry over to NG+?

Yes if you choose to carry over your levels. You get a certain number of carry over points each time you beat the game, one run through is enough to carry over everything, or carry over a few things and get some bonuses like extra sepith and mira. Three runs through will let you carry over all your stats and get all the bonus items and costumes and such.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Master Quartz levels are tied to character levels? So I have to carry over my endgame levels to keep my Master Quartz? That's disappointing.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
So I just started playing SC and I only thought Bush Lancers could have Shining Poms in the forest. So imagine my surprise when I found this.

I'm not even out of the prologue, and the game is already rubbing it in that I no longer have an all screen S-Craft. :(

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I've discovered playing FC and SC back to back how much TiTS it takes before you wish you had started SC on easy so you could just mindlessly smash the bosses and finish the story.

The start of Chapter 8 (or roughly 140 hours combined so far).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that is a very big play time, I think all of FC and SC combined took me like 90-100

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, how the heck do you tack on an extra 40-50 hours, fc is only 40 hours long and i'm in the first half of chapter 7 of sc with 40 hours so far

the fights get easier the more you lose and retry them anyway, right?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

that is a very big play time, I think all of FC and SC combined took me like 90-100

FC was just over 50 and somehow SC is closing in on 90 already.

If you told me I fell asleep a few times with the Vita in my hands and ran it dead, I wouldn't call you a liar.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Huxley posted:

FC was just over 50 and somehow SC is closing in on 90 already.

holy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anyway probably the easiest way to clear the rest of the game is to run agate and kloe. Agate can just wild rage and s craft any encounters and the two are a pretty good combo for bosses too

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I finished FC with ~38 hours (twice) and SC with just under 60. :psyduck:

I guess if you talk to literally every NPC at literally every possible story beat it could take that long. Maybe?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a spoiler-free guide to getting all AP/study aides/books/etc. for Cold Steel, yet?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there a spoiler-free guide to getting all AP/study aides/books/etc. for Cold Steel, yet?

I think ign had done

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've been using this one: http://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-THE-LEGEND-OF-HEROES-TRAILS-OF-COLD-STEEL-Overall-Walkthrough

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This guide is excellent but it does have a few spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I finished FC with ~38 hours (twice) and SC with just under 60. :psyduck:

I guess if you talk to literally every NPC at literally every possible story beat it could take that long. Maybe?

I actually don't really talk to anyone. I was assuming around 10 hours per chapter in SC put it on par with FC, but maybe I really have been falling asleep more often than I think while I'm playing.

Or maybe I've been playing in a time warp.