Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Looks like Dangan Ronpa on Steam has been confirmed though?

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/687841189882560512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Awesome. I already have both Danganronpas on Vita, but I'm happy that it is becoming more accessible to everyone.

And on the Root Double campaign, the 14th marked their first upward funding trend in the campaign, and nearly double what we got on the 13th. Hopefully, this will continue to be a thing. If we can continue to get 2,000 dollars a day until the final 2 days, the final stretch may be achievable.

Also, I found this article on the history of visual novels recently. Though, it isn't as much of history as it is discussing the change of visual novels from one graphical style to another after Tokimeki Memorial.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 15, 2016

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I have a Clannad related question. Sekai recently updated the script, which caused all of the "read text" to reset. So, I planned to just hold down control and go through all of the routes I already went through. The problem is I don't know where/if the light orbs would make differences. I don't really want to look this up because of spoilers. So, I'll just tell you the routes I already did in the order I did them.

1) Nagisa
2) Fuko
3) Tomoyo
4) Ryou
5) Kyou
6) Tomoyo
7) Miyazawa

If anyone could tell me approximately where will be different while going through these again, it would be appreciated!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
See my post from before. Sounds like you'll have to do Tomoyo's and maybe Nagisa's again. Tomoyo because her route is where you get Misae's orb (but only if you finished Misae's route first) and Nagisa because finishing Fuko's beforehand does unlock an important scene there. That said you have to basically re-do Nagsia's anyway because another route splinters off of it near the end.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Thanks! Is the scene in Nagisa's route near the end? I'd like to just use control to get through most of the repeat scenes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think so. Looking it up it apparently happens on April 29th. It's a scene with Fuko's sister and you should lose a light orb after it is over.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The official Steam Danagnronpa page is up.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh, awesome. I didn't know we had a VN thread. Last VN I've touched was Kanon. It's time I've played something else eh?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm enjoying S;G more and more but I'm worried about finishing it. What are some other VNs in the same vein?

Also am I going to be able to get the true ending on my own or will I need to resort to a guide or something? Is there even a true ending? I went into this one pretty much completely blind.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

I'm enjoying S;G more and more but I'm worried about finishing it. What are some other VNs in the same vein?

Also am I going to be able to get the true ending on my own or will I need to resort to a guide or something? Is there even a true ending? I went into this one pretty much completely blind.

I liked Danganrompa series a lot. I hope it'll be popular enough on PC so they'll keep creating more of the series soon. It does have some annoying mini-games though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

You will absolutely need a guide, there is one true ending

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

But you want to exhaust all the other endings first and those are easy to get by yourself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alder posted:

I liked Danganrompa series a lot. I hope it'll be popular enough on PC so they'll keep creating more of the series soon. It does have some annoying mini-games though.

Eh I've played both main games (and read half of the prequel novel) and I actually have the opposite opinion: I love all the investigation and all the class trial minigames but think the overall story and characters were pretty blah. The ending to the first one was, in my opinion, so bad it almost wrapped around to great. It came out of nowhere and relied on a combination of cliches and setting assumptions that weren't really telegraphed.

I'd be really really surprised if they didn't make more though. There's been an anime, two main games, a spinoff action game, at least one spinoff mobile game, and a book.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They've already announced a new game, that's a completely separate story, and an original anime series to 'finish' the storyline of the first two games

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

They've already announced a new game, that's a completely separate story, and an original anime series to 'finish' the storyline of the first two games

There's also Another Episode on the Vita.

You... probably shouldn't play that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

Eh I've played both main games (and read half of the prequel novel) and I actually have the opposite opinion: I love all the investigation and all the class trial minigames but think the overall story and characters were pretty blah. The ending to the first one was, in my opinion, so bad it almost wrapped around to great. It came out of nowhere and relied on a combination of cliches and setting assumptions that weren't really telegraphed.

I'd be really really surprised if they didn't make more though. There's been an anime, two main games, a spinoff action game, at least one spinoff mobile game, and a book.

I gave up trying to understand the story pretty early and I just follow along because I liked certain side characters. I still don't completely understand the DR2 ending. I could relate to Hajime feeling out of place in the entire scenario and he has a unique sense of humor.

I didn't bother with DG or reading the LN because yeah :banjo:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
umineko no naku koro ni is a good vn and i'm enjoying it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Root Double just added a PS Vita version to the kickstarter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I saw it earlier. I think I may cancel my pledge for that stunt alone. When you are that desperate it doesn't inspire me much confidence on what you are doing.

Like, I probably should have seen that from their $275 tier they added some days ago: tons and tons of physical crap that will likely take more than half of that money to produce. And it's all the tackiest poo poo possible you'd expect from Etsy, not something that is supposed to be professionally run.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Saoshyant posted:

I saw it earlier. I think I may cancel my pledge for that stunt alone. When you are that desperate it doesn't inspire me much confidence on what you are doing.

Like, I probably should have seen that from their $275 tier they added some days ago: tons and tons of physical crap that will likely take more than half of that money to produce. And it's all the tackiest poo poo possible you'd expect from Etsy, not something that is supposed to be professionally run.

I agree with you but I don't think they will make their goal anyway.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Midjack posted:

Root Double just added a PS Vita version to the kickstarter.

How does this work, is it possible to redeem the digital copy on Vita or do you need to go for the 99$ tier?

Either way I'm going to sigh and pitch in...it's a stretch to think they'll pull 35k in a week but I want to show my support anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

How does this work, is it possible to redeem the digital copy on Vita or do you need to go for the 99$ tier?

That's the minimum pledge to get a Vita copy, supposedly in a year from now. You also get the PC version to play earlier (supposedly March/April).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ryoshi posted:

Either way I'm going to sigh and pitch in...it's a stretch to think they'll pull 35k in a week but I want to show my support anyway.

At this point they've probably got a fair chance as long as there's a big surge in the last couple of days. Looking at the past week on kicktraq, adding the PS Vita tier actually pulled in a surprising amount of money and new backers for how pricey it was.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Thuryl posted:

At this point they've probably got a fair chance as long as there's a big surge in the last couple of days. Looking at the past week on kicktraq, adding the PS Vita tier actually pulled in a surprising amount of money and new backers for how pricey it was.

They finally did the right thing and added a Vita only tier so I updated my pledge to that. At this point they might actually make it, 2 days and only about $5k to go.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Fru Fru posted:

They finally did the right thing and added a Vita only tier so I updated my pledge to that. At this point they might actually make it, 2 days and only about $5k to go.

Whoa, thanks for the heads up, this is what I'm doing now. Hope it makes it.

I also got my first ending in Steins;Gate, ended up with Faris and everything seemed okay if heavy on the melancholy side of things. Now I've got the flowchart loaded up on my phone to get the other endings and 1) holy crap there's like four more chapters and 2) the spoiler free guide totally had a spoiler in it. :(

Is there any hope for the other games in the whatever;whatever series getting translations? I need to hold on until Zero Time Dilemma.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Your first ending wasn't Suzuha's?

Wow, I figured everyone would get that one first

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Your first ending wasn't Suzuha's?

Wow, I figured everyone would get that one first

When I was looking at the flowchart after the ending I got, I think I missed it because I was pretty desperate to save Mayuri, and getting that ending seems like you have to ignore the likely way to do that?

I don't have it in front of me but there's no Moeka ending is there?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

When I was looking at the flowchart after the ending I got, I think I missed it because I was pretty desperate to save Mayuri, and getting that ending seems like you have to ignore the likely way to do that?

I don't remember how you trigger them but Faris was the first one I got too, and yeah it was kinda depressing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Nope, for reasons that should become obvious to you as you go on.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well I mean most of the endings involve whether or not you send a D-mail and to not get Suzuha's you have to like go into the menu and send it with no prompting other than the text and it's very easy to skip without realizing this is the first time in the game you actually have a meaningful choice to do it or not.

Every other time after that there's an icon on the dialogue box but it isn't there for that one, I looked when my wife was doing it the first time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The icon only shows up after getting an ending, any ending, as far as I can tell.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep that's why I totally missed my cue the first time and I actually just assumed everyone would.

Good for you guys for getting the subtext that you the player had to do something right then because I didn't

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yep that's why I totally missed my cue the first time and I actually just assumed everyone would.

Good for you guys for getting the subtext that you the player had to do something right then because I didn't

I accept your praise for my reading skills.

Root Double got funded so I guess I'll have a neat game to play in a year or so when I have forgotten all about it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fru Fru posted:

I accept your praise for my reading skills.

Root Double got funded so I guess I'll have a neat game to play in a year or so when I have forgotten all about it.

I'm glad it got funded, so I can buy it in a sale at some point or other. That kickstarter was very expensive.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The voice patch for Higurashi chapter 2 was finally finished a few days ago. Apparently they've been editing/re-translating certain sections as they've gone along as well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Any news on TatarigoroshI? :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My folks sent over a bunch of stuff they were keeping in storage for me now that I am finally finished moving in to my new place and I discovered that I still had my old collection of Japanese PS1/2 games stashed away. I bought a ton of games when I studied abroad in Japan about 6 years ago but I thought I had sold all the games off or something during one of my 'I'm going to quit gaming' phases.

Anyway I have a real hodgepodge of stuff, most of which are visual novels. I couldn't read Japanese almost at all back then so I bought a bunch of random VNs telling myself 'I'll use these for practice' or 'someday I'll be able to read them'. I'm actually kind of excited now to sit down and play through some of these. I have the Mai-Hime VN, which is supposed to be pretty good and completely different from both the anime and the manga. I have most of the Key games including their old stuff like Kagayaku Kisetsu e. And then I have bizarre stuff that I think I picked up in a bargain bin. One such game is called Kitty on Your Lap and it's a raising sim like Princess Maker only you're raising three catgirls. It looks... bizarre. Can't wait.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

voltcatfish posted:

Any news on TatarigoroshI? :(
You know as much as I do, but Watanagashi did kind of come out of nowhere and there was a six month gap between it and the first chapter. So I'd expect something similar for Tatarigoroshi as well. So April/May, maybe?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BeastMaster and Prince coming to PC via Kickstarter:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/688648305/beastmaster-and-prince-flower-and-snow?ref=project_link

It has cute animals and has nice art

quote:

Players won’t be able to help but feel the “moe” (strong affection towards characters in anime, manga, and video games) for these brothers who are tied together by their brotherhood and their tragic stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh HELL yes. I played this on Vita in Japan while I was going through a 'let's try out some otome games' phase and I enjoyed the heck out of it. While the main girl is still sort of a doormat for the guys most of the time at least the petting mini-game system made it feel like she was a little more in control of her relationship with them than most otome game girls.

Also I liked the characters. The lion guy was pretty cool.

Edit: Oh cool they're doing the Vita version that has both the game and its sequel/fandisc together. I never finished the main game but from what reviews have told me the plot threads are wrapped up much more nicely when you add in the fandisc/sequel.

Edit2: though they might want to try spellchecking their preview images... there are some typos in the English sentences that the characters say in their introduction pictures. Also the translation seems really stiff.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 11, 2016