Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Serf posted:

Do an Ocean's Eleven style heist movie set in Eberron.

D'Orien's 11!

Followed by a locked room murder mystery on the Lightning rail.

Murder on D'Orien's express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

moths posted:

WotC doesn't, but I feel like the D&D novels have scraped the best seller list more than the games.

The only R.A. Salvatore D&D book to make the NYT Bestseller list afaik is Waterdeep

e: Apparently The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy hit #4. Not bad.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

remusclaw posted:

Well if you actually played OD&D with the Chainmail combat system, you already had this, as Chainmail used only d6. Not that anyone ever really did apparently.

I did. We also used the Outdoor Survival map.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cool, how was it? Did you play it that way back in the day, or as a kind of a play it like they used to kind of thing? I only ask because from what I heard, combing through post from the old player's and such, Gygax and company never did play that way, and it was included as an option to help ease war gamer's into the new game.

As a side question, how is Chainamil? I had a copy until recently but never got to play, and I always wondered how it actually held up in play.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 28, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't remember how to embed a tweet, but GMS had to cancel a webhost for an "upcoming project".

It's not Far West, because intothefarwest.com is still up.

e: oh, I guess it auto-embeds?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

GMS had to cancel a webhost for an "upcoming project".

Gareth: The Skarkening

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember how to embed a tweet, but

It's not Far West, because intothefarwest.com is still up.

e: oh, I guess it auto-embeds?

It auto-embeds any url that leads to twitter or is a webm, but doesn't embed if you use :nms:nms or nws:nws: tags, for what it's worth.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The proud tradition of thinking of names before the product. Only produces quality.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm kind of wondering if it's Buckaroo Banzai, but I doubt it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Maybe it's the Bas-lag license!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man, I forgot all about that.

So GMS is squatting on the Bas-Lag and Buckaroo Banzai licenses. Was there anything else he was holding up? I honestly don't remember.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

Maybe it's the Bas-lag license!

Oh god, PLEASE let it be this. Miévilles stuff deserves a much better writer than GMS.

EDIT: Well, gently caress, he's still going to sit on the license, isn't he?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was there anything else he was holding up? I honestly don't remember.
Not a property, but he was associated with a post-apocalypse D20 setting that is now a decade late and been passed through something like four publishers.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
guys what are you talking about WOTC clearly cares about D&D look at their incredible marketing efforts http://imgur.com/gallery/5fCo1

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

guys what are you talking about WOTC clearly cares about D&D look at their incredible marketing efforts http://imgur.com/gallery/5fCo1

Is the joke that it is eBay doing it?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm pretty sure that the D&D movie is going to be a flop because they're going to go for some half-baked epic political fantasy of epic epicness that heavily features Drizzt and Elminster. The novel fans are going to be pissed because Drizzt eats a slice of mumbleberry pie when it was clearly established in book 9 of the Spider Queen War that he hates that and prefers razium cake. General moviegoers are going to be disinterested and actively bored because it's going to be a poo poo fantasy dimestore version of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings that doesn't make use of any of the interesting things about D&D. A good D&D movie would be something like a group of adventurers wandering about for gold and glory and raiding dungeons who stumble across something that will end the world or piss off an evil wizard. We're gonna get not Gondor in the form of Cormyr and Shadowdale vs not Sauron in the form of some chosen of Bane or some poo poo.

Also, the few official mentions of the D&D movie I've seen bring up Warcraft, and they're going to wrongheadedly compete with it, confirming what I say above even more.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm pretty sure that the D&D movie is going to be a flop because they're going to go for some half-baked epic political fantasy of epic epicness that heavily features Drizzt and Elminster. The novel fans are going to be pissed because Drizzt eats a slice of mumbleberry pie when it was clearly established in book 9 of the Spider Queen War that he hates that and prefers razium cake. General moviegoers are going to be disinterested and actively bored because it's going to be a poo poo fantasy dimestore version of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings that doesn't make use of any of the interesting things about D&D. A good D&D movie would be something like a group of adventurers wandering about for gold and glory and raiding dungeons who stumble across something that will end the world or piss off an evil wizard. We're gonna get not Gondor in the form of Cormyr and Shadowdale vs not Sauron in the form of some chosen of Bane or some poo poo.

Also, the few official mentions of the D&D movie I've seen bring up Warcraft, and they're going to wrongheadedly compete with it, confirming what I say above even more.

eeeh I don't know about Drizzt or Elminster. like, execs would want to cast some famous white guyas Drizzt and there's no way painting a white dude solid black would go over well. And that's assuming they could even make the drow not look kind of stupid on film. If they did Elminster they'd have to cut or revise a lot of his origins, like the period he was turned into a woman to teach him a lesson in humility.

I think I mentioned it before but Dragonlance is really the big property they could adapt almost 1:1 onscreen and have it be palatable to movie audiences. it has all the epic adventuring and raiding dungeons and world-ending danger, like you mentioned. it has dragons. it's even handily divided up into an epic trilogy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PJOmega posted:

Is the joke that it is eBay doing it?

Yes. The joke is that for however fitting a pitch that is for people to get into D&D, it's not actually WOTC that's doing it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They should just do that comic that ended because there is no justice in the world.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think I mentioned it before but Dragonlance is really the big property they could adapt almost 1:1 onscreen and have it be palatable to movie audiences. it has all the epic adventuring and raiding dungeons and world-ending danger, like you mentioned. it has dragons. it's even handily divided up into an epic trilogy.

Well, they tried.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Direct to video crap animation is not the same as a hollywood movie! :mad:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Direct adapdation of Planescape Torment to the big screen.

Part two of the trilogy is the Nameless One walking around a high-class brothel for two hours.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
D&D as an IP is awesome because it's more or less worthless. It had one or two moments of potential cultural re-emergence after it's glory years and completely pissed it away every time. Maybe it did inform large amounts of the present day fantasy genre, but that genre left it far behind. Nobody is fighting over the D&D license for their video games. It doubled down hard in printed media and we know how bright that future is looking. Relatively nobody gives a poo poo about the Forgotten Realms, and that's the MOST popular setting.

The funniest thing to me will always be Bioware nearly making D&D a major name again with the Baldur's Gate series, being substantially less successful with Neverwinter Nights, and then kicking their rear end to the curb on realizing they can just use their own goddamn setting, and lo and behold it is a thousand times more popular and more successful then anything they did before. And even then, it's not because people actually care about it's setting. That's what D&D doesn't get - people don't loving care about your lush richly described fantasy world. They want character interaction and humanizing events and cultural touchstones they can connect on. Dragon Age isn't popular because people are really super deeply invested in the story of the Not-Orcs who are invading, it's popular because people want to bang the Iron Bull. Game of Thrones was popular because there was sex and violence and it was easy to tag a faction and go "I'M WITH THIS GROUP!" I cannot imagine the D&D movie managing to hit any of those points. It's going to be generic, boring, and utterly forgettable - at best.

Also the idea of anyone looking at the fuckin' Warcraft movie and going "yes that's what we need to make" is absolutely amazing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Crotch posted:

Direct adapdation of Planescape Torment to the big screen.

Part two of the trilogy is the Nameless One walking around a high-class brothel for two hours.

The pervy wardrobe gets a nod for best supporting actor.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That's the thing, D&D's milkshake has been drank so many times it doesn't have a lot unique to provide other than name recognition. Which I wouldn't underestimate, but the fact that D&D hasn't had any memorable products outside of the RPG itself in well over twenty years is pretty amazing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that's because it hasn't had to. D&D succeeds because it's D&D. It hasn't had an identity beyond "is D&D" since...well, since ever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, that's because it hasn't had to. D&D succeeds because it's D&D. It hasn't had an identity beyond "is D&D" since...well, since ever.

I think D&D's present state is a pretty good counterargument to that notion.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's the thing, D&D's milkshake has been drank so many times it doesn't have a lot unique to provide other than name recognition. Which I wouldn't underestimate, but the fact that D&D hasn't had any memorable products outside of the RPG itself in well over twenty years is pretty amazing.

D&D's campaign settings would be cool places for video games or movies, but the unique ones like Dark Sun, Eberron, and Planescape don't resemble anything close to what the mainstream public thinks of when they hear about D&D, so I can get how executives would be uncomfortable banking the brand on them

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has D&D run into brand identity issues like Kleenex and Band-Aid? It's a lot easier to say "Deen-dee" than "Pathfinder role-playing adventure game system," and if my friends say they're playing "D&D" I know what they actually mean is Pathfinder.

Plus I don't think anyone outside this hobby realizes or cares that there's more than one flavor of "roll dice, pretend to be elf."

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
They could pump out a pretty good Forgotten Realms movie, but meta series are in, so Spelljammer should be the franchise setting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Plus I don't think anyone outside this hobby realizes or cares that there's more than one flavor of "roll dice, pretend to be elf."

There are certainly parallels between people trying to come up with elaborate ploys to introduce "laypersons" into boardgames and convince them that there's more to it than Monopoly, as with introducing them to RPGs and convince them that there's more to it than D&D

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are certainly parallels between people trying to come up with elaborate ploys to introduce "laypersons" into boardgames and convince them that there's more to it than Monopoly, as with introducing them to RPGs and convince them that there's more to it than D&D

The difference being that boardgames are pretty popular at the moment, and increasingly even complete randos have heard of something like Settlers of Catan.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think D&D being the origin and core of the hobby formed a barrier to people getting into RPGs as the hobby's gone on, because it requires a level of time and effort commitment around portraying a gnome that most people are, frankly, too sane to make.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nuns with Guns posted:

D&D's campaign settings would be cool places for video games or movies, but the unique ones like Dark Sun, Eberron, and Planescape don't resemble anything close to what the mainstream public thinks of when they hear about D&D, so I can get how executives would be uncomfortable banking the brand on them

They could just drop the D&D brand entirely. Like, do a movie about hardcases fighting slavery in a fantasy desert world, but never namedrop roleplaying games at all. I think the three settings you mention have all got enough style and substance to support that kind of approach.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nuns with Guns posted:

eeeh I don't know about Drizzt or Elminster. like, execs would want to cast some famous white guyas Drizzt and there's no way painting a white dude solid black would go over well. And that's assuming they could even make the drow not look kind of stupid on film. If they did Elminster they'd have to cut or revise a lot of his origins, like the period he was turned into a woman to teach him a lesson in humility.

They'll probably have Drizzt played by Doug Jones under a pound of prosthetics and makeup, and Elminster will just be not-Gandalf.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also the idea of anyone looking at the fuckin' Warcraft movie and going "yes that's what we need to make" is absolutely amazing.

Even if I think D&D has some nerdy cultural cachet where wearing one of those shirts with the Red Box art on it is cool instead of getting you swirlies, you couldn't be more right here. If they're seriously thinking "We gotta eat Warcraft's lunch" when going about making this thing it's going to be a loving abomination. I hope Warcraft flops too because look at it. People in the audience when I saw Star Wars were laughing themselves sick during the trailer. If it succeeds we're probably in for a generation of garbage.

potatocubed posted:

They could just drop the D&D brand entirely. Like, do a movie about hardcases fighting slavery in a fantasy desert world, but never namedrop roleplaying games at all. I think the three settings you mention have all got enough style and substance to support that kind of approach.

The Big Hero 6 approach. "Fantasy Fury Road" might be all the elevator pitch you need to sell it to execs.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think D&D being the origin and core of the hobby formed a barrier to people getting into RPGs as the hobby's gone on, because it requires a level of time and effort commitment around portraying a gnome that most people are, frankly, too sane to make.

Some acquaintances of mine have been running D&D regularly for "beginners" at local LAN parties and cons, and the process by which they try to get people interested in D&D/roleplaying is to start with 2-4 hours of 3.5/Pathfinder character generation. I participated once on a whim (I had an open spot on my con schedule) and the way they were throwing D&D at people was to present them with 10 kg of printouts of the SRD. I think you hit the nail on the head here; the amount of time and effort you'd have to devote to the minutiae of selecting Feats and gear just to get your first taste of D&D seems to have a really poor pay-off when what happens afterwards is a 3-hour game of technically arduous but not really difficult or interesting combat scenarios.

(Meanwhile I run Call of Cthulhu with pregen characters for people who've never roleplayed and it takes maybe half an hour for everyone to get started on exploring the spooky mansion. :keke:)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheTatteredKing posted:

They should just do that comic that ended because there is no justice in the world.

Or at least hire those writers to make the movie. Fell's Five was D&D, As She Is Played

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm pretty sure that the D&D movie is going to be a flop because they're going to go for some half-baked epic political fantasy of epic epicness that heavily features Drizzt and Elminster. The novel fans are going to be pissed because Drizzt eats a slice of mumbleberry pie when it was clearly established in book 9 of the Spider Queen War that he hates that and prefers razium cake. General moviegoers are going to be disinterested and actively bored because it's going to be a poo poo fantasy dimestore version of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings that doesn't make use of any of the interesting things about D&D.
Yeah this is what I came to post, but didn't get around to yesterday: A D&D movie is going to have to draw on their official campaign settings to have any identity at all, because the really iconic things about D&D--the adventuring party, the dungeon, a smorgasbord of monsters and magic spells and magic items--have been diluted into oblivion. TSR failed to stop anyone and everyone from ripping off everything that makes D&D what it is (I think dnd was written for mainframe computers in 1977).

The hypothetical movie producers, if they have any sense, aren't going to give a gently caress about novel canon. As much money as those books have made, they don't have the audience of Harry Potter or The Hunger Games, i.e. big enough that faithfulness to the novels is going impact the movie's performance.

But it's entirely possible that they won't have any sense, in which case "some half-baked epic political fantasy of epic epicness that heavily features Drizzt and Elminster" sounds likely, and that will definitely fail. The official Dungeons & Dragons movie flopped because, among other reasons, the fantasy world they lived in had no identity yet there were still long talky explanations of specific things just to drive the plot forward.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 29, 2016

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
D&D has just been handled in such a way that they had no idea at the time what it could be with due diligence and the kind of creative folks they were able to attract in terms of world building and the like---Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Birthright(there's your best shot at swinging for GoT), Planescape....so many could amount to such fine springboards, if only. The Gaming Industry distilled---so many elements brought together from the great classic disciplines, so little foresight especially at the critical phases to carry those applied classics forward while taking special care to be as globally fractured as possible for efficient toil and waste of talent. Hell, had luck and momentum not gone as they did, it all could've been sent to wander the lands eternally in obscurity despite everything like Tekumel.

At least we've got The Dragon Kings Project as something of an independent separate spiritual successor to Dark Sun---though we'll be lucky to see the former gain as much meat on the bones as the latter unless they've got something else planned beyond the modest success of their original Kickstarter awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Kai Tave posted:

The difference being that boardgames are pretty popular at the moment, and increasingly even complete randos have heard of something like Settlers of Catan.
Another big difference is that D&D is closer to something like Mage Knight or Agricola in complexity, while gateway games like Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride are closer to * World games, Dread, or FATE. You can certainly PLAY D&D at a lower complexity level, but it's an active choice you have to make and the books aren't going to do much to help you.

LatwPIAT posted:

Some acquaintances of mine have been running D&D regularly for "beginners" at local LAN parties and cons, and the process by which they try to get people interested in D&D/roleplaying is to start with 2-4 hours of 3.5/Pathfinder character generation. I participated once on a whim (I had an open spot on my con schedule) and the way they were throwing D&D at people was to present them with 10 kg of printouts of the SRD. I think you hit the nail on the head here; the amount of time and effort you'd have to devote to the minutiae of selecting Feats and gear just to get your first taste of D&D seems to have a really poor pay-off when what happens afterwards is a 3-hour game of technically arduous but not really difficult or interesting combat scenarios.
This is exactly the problem and I'm sure a lot of people in this thread have made this exact mistake at some point. When your first experience with RPGs is 3 hours of character building and then you fail to stab an orc, getting you to come back is going to be a pretty hard sell.You can give people pregen characters and fudge the numbers a bit to help with that, but at that point why are you playing a system that takes that much massaging in the first place?

• Locked thread