Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I believe the writer's strike was after their much criticized third season. Don't know if they were told to, but the strike gave the top producers the time to set down a real plan and agree on an end point.

Lindelof and Cuse went to the network after 'Stranger In A Strange Land' aired and specifically told them this is what's going to keep happening if they don't agree on an end date.

There was a theory that they made a deliberately bad episode just for that purpose, but it sounds more like they knew what they had and used it as an opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL if you think a non-showrunner EP does anything but collect paychecks.

Just lol if you think fox is going to let a TV show break the mold. Still not going to hold my breath on lucifer being anything but cop drama with the devil.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The plot in those shows got pretty bad too. A lot of the later-day 'drug cartel in-fighting' stuff in Breaking Bad is repetitive and idiotic, and the whole blackmail box and the stuff going on in the last two seasons of The Shield was super forgettable.

It's just those shows were less plot-based and delivered on the character stuff more successfully, to some extent (the last few episodes of Jesse's story in Breaking Bad are mostly terrible, IMO).

Speaking of LOST, this is a really good overview of it and why it kinda works but not entirely:

https://matthilliard.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/lost-the-search-for-meaning/

actually the ending was dogshit retarded hth

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

It was pretty aimless over three seasons so I think probably they just had a loose idea of what it was. I know some decision was made to focus the show and nail down an ending, I can't remember if it was the studio that forced it or not. It seems to me that if you from day one had a strong narrative arc hitting predetermined beats towards a specific conclusion, that kind of decision would have never come up.

Tell us more about the orange cocks of white liberals zoux :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Lost and X-Files were about bigger plots and conspiracies with tons of questions and mysteries. So not knowing what the hell the answers are to the questions you're posing is kind of a huge problem in storytelling. That's different from "I don't know how Mulder's personal growth or story will end. I'll let it happen as organically as possible and hopefully it works out."

I've heard that on Fringe, the original plan was to tease out the mystery and the mythology / conspiracy elements for a couple of years then reveal the parallel universe in season three. Then it became clear that it wasn't going to be a Lost-level hit so they picked up the pace and had Olivia going to the parallel universe at the end of season one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the best episode of the x-files is the brad dourif one

:yeah:

Goddamn just thinking about scenes from that episode gives me chills and I probably havem't seen it in 10 years

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brad is bad and overacts

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Didn't he win an award for that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Just lol if you think fox is going to let a TV show break the mold. Still not going to hold my breath on lucifer being anything but cop drama with the devil.

It's not Fox's mold though. If it was on CBS, maybe.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

corn in the bible posted:

actually the ending was dogshit retarded hth

The whole "heart of the island" thing? Yeah, I was disappointed that the explanation of... everything was mystical (light and water and electromagnetism combining in the set of an Enya music video, ugh, gross) until I realized that under the cork was a ball of the red matter from Star Trek and Alias and that there was a logical scientific explanation after all.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 28, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

It's not Fox's mold though. If it was on CBS, maybe.

The prosecution submits into evidence: "Minority Report."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Tell us more about the orange cocks of white liberals zoux :allears:

Well I love squeezin' em.

I read an article a few months ago interviewing Harmon and Roiland about R&M and TV in general and they said something that I thought was interesting, that with the advent of the internet you can't do the big twist anymore. The internet is basically a brute-force speculation machine and someone is going to suss out your carefully laid hints and foreshadowings. Good setup twists aren't really possible anymore, and I think Lost is an example of it. I really do think it was originally supposed to be everyone died/purgatory or whatever, but that was instantly guessed by the fans. I think that if this was 1985, it would've ended with a "dead the whole time" ending.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard that on Fringe, the original plan was to tease out the mystery and the mythology / conspiracy elements for a couple of years then reveal the parallel universe in season three. Then it became clear that it wasn't going to be a Lost-level hit so they picked up the pace and had Olivia going to the parallel universe at the end of season one.

I think it was served better for it, because even from the beginning they were hanging some of those pieces. The parallel universe gave them something to hang other bits around, and it's a lot easier (for me) to leave loose ends hanging if I know where they're generally going to lie. I'll contrast that with Pretender which is a show my family enjoyed but went from a few interesting divided loyalties and double agents to pretty much "everyone's a double agent, some of them are triple or quadruple, new levels of intrigue are constantly being introduced but none of the old stuff is being resolved." And then they blew everybody up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ironically Rick and Morty did pull off a pretty good twist in its finale, although not one that would really have been possible to guess ahead of time.

lelandjs posted:

The whole "heart of the island" thing? Yeah, I was disappointed that the explanation of... everything was mystical (light and water and electromagnetism combining in the set of an Enya music video, ugh, gross) until I realized that under the cork was a ball of the red matter from Star Trek and Alias and that there was a logical scientific explanation after all.

So you really wanted there to be a totally scientific, rational explanation for everything that happened in LOST?

I've never actually seen one of you in the wild. That's absolutely fascinating.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

zoux posted:

I read an article a few months ago interviewing Harmon and Roiland about R&M and TV in general and they said something that I thought was interesting, that with the advent of the internet you can't do the big twist anymore. The internet is basically a brute-force speculation machine and someone is going to suss out your carefully laid hints and foreshadowings. Good setup twists aren't really possible anymore, and I think Lost is an example of it. I really do think it was originally supposed to be everyone died/purgatory or whatever, but that was instantly guessed by the fans. I think that if this was 1985, it would've ended with a "dead the whole time" ending.

"Dead the whole time" is an idea that I think everyone has about Lost, but it would have never worked well (and I imagine the writers knew that). It's a twist that's difficult to pull off in movies because, although it's all fiction, 'fictions-within-fictions' can be hard to take seriously. In a long-running series it would be impossible. And it would be difficult to have the whole 'person works through their issues in an afterlife' thing if the afterlife happens to be an island where they're far away from all their loved ones and their life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

"Dead the whole time" is an idea that I think everyone has about Lost, but it would have never worked well (and I imagine the writers knew that). It's a twist that's difficult to pull off in movies because, although it's all fiction, 'fictions-within-fictions' can be hard to take seriously. In a long-running series it would be impossible. And it would be difficult to have the whole 'person works through their issues in an afterlife' thing if the afterlife happens to be an island where they're far away from all their loved ones and their life.

Dead the whole time is just kind of short hand I'm using for whatever the original twist/explanation was, but I don't think it's a coincidence that everyone in the world was like "island is purgatory" and D&C were like "no it's super not that" and then the last season did a purgatory twist.

Escobarbarian posted:

Ironically Rick and Morty did pull off a pretty good twist in its finale, although not one that would really have been possible to guess ahead of time.

Mr Robotdid as well but it covered it with a sort of red herring by presenting an obvious Sixth Sense twist that we the viewers could feel all smug about so that we didn't notice the real twist.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep that's true. I fell for that one completely.

I don't think LOST was ever meant to be purgatory the whole time, though. Just doesn't really fit with anything about the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

I think it was served better for it, because even from the beginning they were hanging some of those pieces. The parallel universe gave them something to hang other bits around, and it's a lot easier (for me) to leave loose ends hanging if I know where they're generally going to lie.

Oh, yeah, it was definitely better for it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

So you really wanted there to be a totally scientific, rational explanation for everything that happened in LOST?

IMO a the whole "colony of scientists studying the island with science, and not really figuring everything out" is a lot more interesting than "it was antarctica in the future or whatever!".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I've never actually seen one of you in the wild. That's absolutely fascinating.

Oh I was being sarcastic. Explaining things with a sciencey device that does whatever the plot requires is not any better or really any different then a mystical explanation.

It's like how staunch atheists refuse to admit that belief in science (Big Bang, black holes, dark matter) requires just as much faith as believing in God.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 28, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So you're saying it's not true?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Oh I was being sarcastic. Explaining things with a sciencey device that does whatever the plot requires is not any better or really any different then a mystical explanation.

It's like how staunch atheists refuse to admit the belief in science requires just as much faith as believing in God.

Oh is this what we're doing today? Having a fight?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

So you're saying it's not true?

zoux posted:

Oh is this what we're doing today? Having a fight?

No, not tying to start a fight. It's absolutely true that a lot of high-level scientific explanations are really all based on conjecture and theories, and may never actually be provable as true. They're drat good explanations, posited by intelligent people with a foundation in observable and provable science, but still require faith--that what is being extrapolated is correct--in order to believe they happened.

Don't get me wrong--I'm an atheist myself--but there is absolutely an aspect of faith inherent in scientific theory.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lelandjs posted:

No, not tying to start a fight. It's absolutely true that a lot of high-level scientific explanations are really all based on conjecture and theories, and may never actually be provable as true. They're drat good explanations, posited by intelligent people with a foundation in observable and provable science, but still require faith--that what is being extrapolated is correct--in order to believe they happened.

Don't get me wrong--I'm an atheist myself--but there is absolutely an aspect of faith inherent in scientific theory.

I think what you're saying is true, it's just that the words FAITH and BELIEF have picked up nasty connotations because of their associations with people who deny facts.

And I agree with you about "mystic" story elements, by the way. I think that you can strip layer after layer off of a mystery and there will still be people that won't be satisfied until you definitively say "IT'S BECAUSE GOD" or "IT'S BECAUSE AN EXTREMELY RARE METAL THAT ONLY EXISTS IN THIS UNIVERSE."

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 28, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Yeah but there's also a whole lot of proven science.

Pretty big difference between what you said in the first post and second.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I think what you're saying is true, it's just that the words FAITH and BELIEF have picked up nasty connotations because of their associations with people who deny facts.

And I agree with you about "mystic" story elements, by the way. I think that you can strip layer after layer off of a mystery and there will still be people that won't be satisfied until you definitively say "IT'S BECAUSE GOD" or "IT'S BECAUSE AN EXTREMELY RARE METAL THAT ONLY EXISTS IN THIS UNIVERSE."

Battlestar Galactica said from day one, episode one, that God did it. It could not be any more explicit or clear about that. For the longest time a lot of people just assumed there would be an answer that involved something other than that, no matter how much mounting weird occult poo poo happened or how much people kept dropping the G word. So even if you definitively say why things are happening, some people might still not accept it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

You don't even need to believe in science at all to be an atheist, anyways.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but there's also a whole lot of proven science.

Pretty big difference between what you said in the first post and second.

Yeah but he's not saying that PROVEN science is incorrect or needs to be believed in. He's saying that if something can't be conclusively proven because of our current limitations, even if it's our best logical guess based on the facts, it still takes a degree of belief to say "I know that this is true." They don't know. They might think that they do. They might be certain in their heart of hearts. They might be proven right a century later. But at that point in time, if it's not proven, it's still a belief.

Unfortunately, just like fundamentalists who refuse to acknowledge that the Earth has been here for more than 6,000 years because they think it will invalidate their entire religion, there are Atheists that think that saying "You're right, I don't know for certain" is the nail in science's coffin. It's fine, there's plenty of poo poo we don't know and probably never will, that doesn't invalidate what we've done so far and it definitely doesn't mean we should stop trying to understand our universe.

How bout that TV, though, huh?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's an inherent assumption that atheists are also "scientific", and any atheist who doesn't understand the scientific method and why science believes the things it does (this is different from religion's non-evidence-based belief) is an atheist as much as ISIS are Muslims or the Atlanta Olympic bomber is a Christian.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Battlestar Galactica said from day one, episode one, that God did it. It could not be any more explicit or clear about that. For the longest time a lot of people just assumed there would be an answer that involved something other than that, no matter how much mounting weird occult poo poo happened or how much people kept dropping the G word. So even if you definitively say why things are happening, some people might still not accept it.

You don't understand. It had space ships. Space ships are a nerd thing, and nerds are atheists who only believe in science. What's the point of science if it's not going to eventually prove that religion is wrong and that people were stupid for ever following it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Were there any shows that were strong before the writers strike that maintained that quality after?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

so bryan singer cast the dude who plays Shadow from Known Bad TV Show the 100

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Were there any shows that were strong before the writers strike that maintained that quality after?

What's crazy is how many writer's strikes there've been. Sometimes people say "the writers strike" as if there was just the one, ever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

breaking bad, since part of the reason to not kill off Jesse was due to the strike and it guaranteed a pickup for a second season. the first season got poor ratings, and if given a full season AMC could have easily cut it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Since I opened that box and then went away I just want to clear up that I don't actually think that Lost ended with "the island is purgatory." I just thought that was a quick and dirty way to try and say "the themes they kinda ended the show with with like the sideways thing and the whole afterlife idea are themes that people kind of always expected and if had been executed in a different way a lot of the people who didn't like it might have been fine with it." I really was just being lazy and quick. That's my bad. I forgot that a lot of people still really care about Lost and how other people feel about it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 28, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I definitely still care that Lost was a garbage bullshit show 90% of the time and I can't believe I watched the whole lovely thing.

edit: V really any of that stuff. The only reason people "believe" in those things is because of evidence. The nature of those things is continuously refined as more research is done.

It's nothing like faith.

If faith in God was like faith in black holes, people would constantly be changing their expectations of God based on observed phenomenon.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 28, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lelandjs posted:

It's like how staunch atheists refuse to admit that belief in science (Big Bang, black holes, dark matter) requires just as much faith as believing in God.

hahaha how do you think that black holes require faith you idiot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a really weird commercial the other day about how NBC Universo is going to start showing The Walking Dead En Espanol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

I definitely still care that Lost was a garbage bullshit show 90% of the time and I can't believe I watched the whole lovely thing.

Eh, I've watched worse. Lost is no Dexter.

I'm mostly grateful I jumped into Lost in like S3 so I skipped the initial fervor and hysteria with all the easter eggs and poo poo and instead encountered in when people were basically paranoid schizophrenics about the show so I avoided most of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I've watched worse. Lost is no Dexter.

I'm mostly grateful I jumped into Lost in like S3 so I skipped the initial fervor and hysteria with all the easter eggs and poo poo and instead encountered in when people were basically paranoid schizophrenics about the show so I avoided most of that stuff.

Oh that's true. I also watched all of Dexter because of the same friend. Holy jesus god christ.

• Locked thread