Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Some top tier Strawhat characterisation in this arc.

Zoro's wearing his old clothes I just noticed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy just butchering people's names never gets old.

Also deer mink for 10th member.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
One Piece 814: Chopper Gets A Girlfriend

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The competion between Big Mom and Kaidou for next arc boss is so strong I'm expecting one to show up and gate crash the fight with the other.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Gyges posted:

Luffy just butchering people's names never gets old.

Also deer mink for 10th member.

The funny thing is that he went opposite of how he normally does it. He butchers people's names because he considers them too long and hard to remember, yet here he extended Pekoms' name. Guess he really liked the -mamushi part?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shoren posted:

The funny thing is that he went opposite of how he normally does it. He butchers people's names because he considers them too long and hard to remember, yet here he extended Pekoms' name. Guess he really liked the -mamushi part?

I think he's using it as an honorary.
Everyone on mink island is gonna be a -mamushi

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
ya'll think killer is one of sanjis brothers?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Straw Hats are gonna get Big Mom and Kaidou to fight over who gets to take on the Straw Hats.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Chopper better marry that deer mink.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

drjuggalo posted:

That... Would make sense, considering his blond hair.

The mask cracks open, and it's just one giant curly eyebrow and no face. The longest Oda con.

AshB posted:

Straw Hats are gonna get Big Mom and Kaidou to fight over who gets to take on the Straw Hats.

Then they end up clobbering each other as they get into a comically heated argument, leaving the Strawhats the victor by default.

Kaidou never misses an opportunity to strike, after all. Why not do it when the Strawhats are preoccupied with Big Mom's tea party?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't be surprised if Law uses the fact they want to confront both as motivation to lure both in to fighting each other, even if Luffy steps in to the middle of it to interrupt the fight and make it a three way when it goes down. I just want to see Kaidou turn up to the wedding wearing a tux though. Also, with all the Chopper/deer shenanigans I feel the cover story with the Drum Kingdom soldiers wearing Chopper hats has been unfairly over looked. It's a really sweet little detail that gave me a huge smile.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysjAGRJBb1c

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm surprised that Robin didn't completely pick up on the name given her past as an actual assassin and member of the underworld.

These cover pages are also pretty good. Those Drum kingdom hats :3:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

tsob posted:

Also, with all the Chopper/deer shenanigans I feel the cover story with the Drum Kingdom soldiers wearing Chopper hats has been unfairly over looked. It's a really sweet little detail that gave me a huge smile.

Honestly thought it was too underwhelming. Wish Kuriha was doing seething more interesting

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Honestly thought it was too underwhelming. Wish Kuriha was doing seething more interesting

You don't want to make Dr. Kureha angry.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Highlights of the new chapter:

*Brooke idealizing Nekomamushi in his song. Oh Brooke. :allears:

*Zoro doing his no-nonsense "look at the big picture" thing

*Nekomamushi being goofy as gently caress and afraid of needles had me giggling like a moron

*Chopper's frustration trying to treat Nekomamushi as a doctor

*Pedro getting waaay too close inside Luffy's comfort zone

*The cute little diagram during Zoro's explanation of events, I'm glad he's acknowledging in a meta-way how things are just rushing forward on an express train and that there isn't a way to realistically go adventuring

*Luffy's simplistic alternative to his usual rush in beat 'me up lack of strategy: "Oh! We'll just sneak in, then! :downs:"; Luffy pulls off the dumb Shonen protagonist trope without it ever getting aggravating

Yeah, Nekomamushi is really stealing the show this week. Also, is it me or do the buildings in this chapter look Indonesian inspired?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 28, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kegslayer posted:

I'm surprised that Robin didn't completely pick up on the name given her past as an actual assassin and member of the underworld.

Did Sanji have any noticeable reaction when she said she was an assassin back when she first joined?

I'd go check myself but I'm phoneposting from work and can't take the chance of getting sucked into rereading entire story arcs :v:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Suaimhneas posted:

Did Sanji have any noticeable reaction when she said she was an assassin back when she first joined?

I'd go check myself but I'm phoneposting from work and can't take the chance of getting sucked into rereading entire story arcs :v:

No, chapter 218 is when she says that, but Sanji is already too enamored to notice. It might come up again around Enies Lobby, but I doubt it. As much as I praise Oda's planning and foresight, I don't think even this level of detail was thought out in advance.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

drjuggalo posted:

I can see him having brother named Yonji anyways.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is anyone else getting Hunter X Hunter vibes?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Remember those mermaid quintuplets?

Ichika, Nika, Sanka, Yonka, and Yonka Two.

It's such a fun and cute joke.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Allarion posted:

Killer ends up actually being Sanji's first brother, Ichi the Killer, also a direct reference to the namesake.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 28, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Remember those mermaid quintuplets?

Ichika, Nika, Sanka, Yonka, and Yonka Two.

It's such a fun and cute joke.

Well that and it seems like a pun name Oda would make for an assassin

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If Sanji's family really ends up being a long con reference to Ichi the Killer since East Blue, I'm going to legit freak.

E: Apparently the Ichi the Killer manga was published between 1997-2001 and the movie was released in 2001, while the Baratie and Shabondy arcs were published between 1998-1999 and in 2008, respectively.

So if my theory holds up, Oda could have plausibly thought up the Sanji family plot device as early as 1998 and the assassin subplot as early as 2008. :tinfoil:

It'd be an interesting twist if Killer ends up being Sanji's brother and they end up having to fight each due to being on opposing crews. It'd also explain why Killer would have to hide his face all the time due to Sanji being spotted for having his face exposed on a wanted poster.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 28, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I loved Zoro keeping it real in this chapter, as always

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im guessing Sanji decided he didnt want to kill people and ran off/was exiled.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Law uses the fact they want to confront both as motivation to lure both in to fighting each other, even if Luffy steps in to the middle of it to interrupt the fight and make it a three way when it goes down. I just want to see Kaidou turn up to the wedding wearing a tux though. Also, with all the Chopper/deer shenanigans I feel the cover story with the Drum Kingdom soldiers wearing Chopper hats has been unfairly over looked. It's a really sweet little detail that gave me a huge smile.

It should definitely be a giant wedding throw down. Everyone in tuxes and formal dresses. The fight starts when the priest asks if anyone objects and Luffy and Kaidou both stand up and yell out that they object.

One of the dog mink people is pounding on the glass in the background, trying to get Brook's attention.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

It should definitely be a giant wedding throw down. Everyone in tuxes and formal dresses. The fight starts when the priest asks if anyone objects and Luffy and Kaidou both stand up and yell out that they object.

One of the dog mink people is pounding on the glass in the background, trying to get Brook's attention.

The bouquet gets thrown and Lola catches it.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

KoB posted:

Im guessing Sanji decided he didnt want to kill people and ran off/was exiled.

I bet he refused to kill a woman.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
But why would Kaidou crash the wedding too?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Literally crash into it while trying to commit suicide.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So what relationship to sanji's family do people think brook has?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

Turns out Brook is Sanji's great grandfather.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Jose posted:

The Vinsmokes killed IMPORTANT_PERSON leading to his exile/resignation and him becoming a pirate.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Jose posted:

Brook was the leader of a battle convoy that turned pirate, so I would guess Sanji's family assassinated Brook's employer and so he left to the sea in disgrace. Maybe it'll have been that thing where the bad guy gets captured on purpose so they can sneak in behind enemy lines so that Brook feels more culpable.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
What I find interesting about this is that it seems to be setting up everyone (bar Nami) who's been out of the series a while to get a greater degree of focus. Sanji being the apparent centre of the plotline, Chopper's potential alignments with the Mink people, and Brook potentially having a score to settle. Legit stoked to see where this all goes.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I'm looking forward to when we find out why the government wants a member of a famous assassin group "alive only". There's gotta be some real poo poo going on there.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Brooke is really old and has been around the world for a long time (eg knew about Roger when he was a rookie), so I don't think it's necessary for him to have a personal connection to the Vinsmokes to be aware of their existence.

Still, Brooke having a gentleman's duel with a Mafia gangster in full suit with sword-cane would be :krad:, though!

dordreff posted:

I'm looking forward to when we find out why the government wants a member of a famous assassin group "alive only". There's gotta be some real poo poo going on there.

Tapped for new member on CP Aegis Zero? (Baseless speculation) :shrug:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

This is amazing. This might be one of the best youtube cat vids of all time.

I appreciated how Zoro just laid things out in this chapter as well. I always enjoy when he gets a chance to do things other than fight or drink/get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

dordreff posted:

Maybe they're in bed with the World Government?