Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

twistedmentat posted:

I was unaware you could get inner strength by sitting in your room playing LoL and jerking off to hentai.

Though I will never tire of nerds trying to delude themselves into thinking normal social behavior is somehow wrong and that what they do is more time worthy. I wish I still had it, but there was a thing image I saw which showed a bunch of shots from clubs of guys and girls dancing and drinking, and then a stock photo of white woman and white man playing xbox on couch and the captions were "Why is this considered normal and not this". Which I thought was odd because the person who made it could find a picture of real people having fun in the way they were trying to disparage but couldn't find anything better than a stock photo for what they were promoting.

Nerds making GBS threads on regular social interaction and elevating their lovely solitary hobbies is as old as time.

If these dorks spent all of their Not Regular Social Interaction time on doing something productive instead of masturbating to anime or twirling the katana they bought off of ebay, they might actually have a point. Like Isaac Newton. King of the forever virgins (no, really) who holed up studying and discovered the fundamental laws of the universe. Or Django Reinhardt who spent the majority of his youth tucked away and playing guitar. But no, they swing their nunchucks half a dozen times and nod saying "ah yes I am truly a samurai master" before stuffing Hot Pockets in their throats while watching My Little Pony, and getting pissed off at the "cool kids" who are "wasting their time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ED-E My Love
Feb 26, 2014

The cutest lil' eyebot in the Wasteland
NVM I am dumb

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Mouse Dresser posted:

Nerds making GBS threads on regular social interaction and elevating their lovely solitary hobbies is as old as time.

If these dorks spent all of their Not Regular Social Interaction time on doing something productive instead of masturbating to anime or twirling the katana they bought off of ebay, they might actually have a point. Like Isaac Newton. King of the forever virgins (no, really) who holed up studying and discovered the fundamental laws of the universe. Or Django Reinhardt who spent the majority of his youth tucked away and playing guitar. But no, they swing their nunchucks half a dozen times and nod saying "ah yes I am truly a samurai master" before stuffing Hot Pockets in their throats while watching My Little Pony, and getting pissed off at the "cool kids" who are "wasting their time."

Yeah I agree, real Nerds are the lovely weirdos who obsess over REALLY obscure and esoteric pastimes, like Georgian Chant Singing, Dollhouses or Insect collecting. Liking Star Wars is not really nerdy when you can get toys from McDonalds.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

tomstuart posted:

the best one of those is this

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Forbes: "Stop stealing our geek culture!"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarabrown/2012/03/26/dear-fake-geek-girls-please-go-away/#492294002afb

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I think they've got this all wrong, but that's all I plan to say about it because I don't want to fall into your self-referential thread uroburos trap.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think that just has to do with nerd persecution complex more than anything. With how many vidja james consoles there are being sold I'd say that "gaming" is a pretty drat normal thing these days. Especially when you look at how many people have games on their home computers or phones.

Granted that's probably also somebody that would disparage casual games as not real games and casual gamers as not real gamers. Which is stupid; sometimes I just want to click on gems and make sparkly things happen.

Yea. Video games are probably one of the single most popular hobbies these days, but those people are just filthy casuals and would never understand real games. Because you have to disparage the jocks and their social cliques by forming one of your own. gently caress even I get it. some 20 year old told me I wasn't a real gamer because I didn't enjoy any Zelda games after Link to the Past. Dude, you were probably still making GBS threads yourself when MM or OoT came out. You go play the first 3 space quests and come back. But anyways, I don't really loving care if i or anyone else has some magical number of nerd points to meet some stupid metric.

This is the best thing ever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like games

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

oldpainless posted:

I like games

I'm so sorry

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

:smith:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigglesSWE posted:

Okay. People asked, nay, DEMANDED to have some hatty goodness. Oh yea of little faith...

Let's start with the feet....

A nice pair of Church, fine, expensive, footwear, but not what we're here for!

Oh dear! We don't see the eyes! How EDGY.

What is a hat pic without some needless posing. But is this really me? How can we tell!

Eh. Close enough.
Here's the deciding vote! With or without hat! Call in now!

Thank you for playing. Have a picture of my lovely lovely cat, Märtha-Louise!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

No one names a cat martha louise and is not loving it

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Oh Shiro Ulv. Never change.

I used to talk to that guy on IRC. He was a self-styled computer security expert who got his site hacked at least twice that I can recall. He is exactly as dumb as you think he is.

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeBunPiIzo

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

I love the hat rule.

As I said in that thread, no man under 50 can get away with a brimmed hat.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What the gently caress Australia?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Scarf posted:

By Serena do they mean Serena Williams? Is Serena part asian or something

e: Or are there some yellow jacket/bee mascots

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Postal Parcel posted:

By Serena do they mean Serena Williams? Is Serena part asian or something

e: Or are there some yellow jacket/bee mascots

Serena Williams is who they meant and this woman is in blackface to 'support' this woman

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Hihohe posted:

No one names a cat martha louise and is not loving it

To be fair to dorky fedorabro, he said his parents named the cat. That fact does not make any of this less goony.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Scarf posted:

Please tell me that's on the news somewhere.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Gridlocked posted:

Please tell me that's on the news somewhere.

still pretty new pic but it will start making the rounds as it's going somewhat viral.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

TheKennedys posted:

To be fair to dorky fedorabro, he said his parents named the cat. That fact does not make any of this less goony.

Märtha-Louise is the princess of Norway, so calling a cat by that name seems reasonable.

The Lurker
Feb 16, 2011

e: oops

The Lurker has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jan 28, 2016

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Serena Williams is who they meant and this woman is in blackface to 'support' this woman

By " Is Serena part asian or something" I meant is the yellow some yellowface thing as well. So it was based off of her outfit huh
Anyway, what the hell possessed them to do that besides being Australian of course

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

That's no blackface, that's just some stupid fan poo poo. This is blackface

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That's no blackface, that's just some stupid fan poo poo. This is blackface

this is what i dressed like when i went to watch tiger woods play golf

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
A classic. A pick up artist leaving a voice mail.
https://youtu.be/uRdmgDbswrI

Dimitri. The lover

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Don't overlook this, it's great. I love the sage nod the guy gives after the girl translates "come on, let's go" to "meow meow meow." Like, "yep, that's definitely it."

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/a-mix-of-soda-and-racing-fuel-causing-deaths

if i drank that my heart would start racing

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

Dimitri. The lover

Here's another good one I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPXuRnDOgc
e:Holy poo poo his channel

spleen merchant has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jan 28, 2016

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

spleen merchant posted:

Here's another good one I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPXuRnDOgc
e:Holy poo poo his channel

I had trouble hearing what everyone was saying (and I skipped around a lot) but what the hell was supposed to happen here? Who was he trying to pick up, and how was asking advice about some other girl's parents going to do that? Did he get kicked out for being annoying in general, or did I miss something really insulting?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Non Serviam posted:

Dimitri. The lover

"You don't give your business card to someone, say 'call me', and not call them back. That's very passive aggressive. You should look up passive aggressive personality disorder."

"I'm one of the few guys in the city that has nothing wrong with them."

This guy is straight up delusional. It's almost magical.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Mouse Dresser posted:

At some point nerds embrace this idea of "What makes me different is what makes me special" completely walleyed to the possibility that 'different' could be things like heinous personal hygene, terrible personality, zero boundary issues, etc. Then you get some silverbacked GoonMaster in his late forties, stinking up cons and being the same insufferable person he was when he was thirteen.

When confronted on these things they'll often compensate by placing little to no value on goals or changes in their life. Shower regularly? What's the point, just a waste of 17.44 minutes of the week. Interact with people more? Buh buh but theres the internet! Accept feedback? The only people telling me to act different are rear end in a top hat jock dudebros!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I also find it really ironic that the type of nerds that are so hostile to 'jocks' inevitably exhibit the exact same behavior they tend to rail against- they're often narrow minded, power hungry petty assholes themselves. Look at bad guild leaders in mmos for example.

There's this deep seated insecurity in all of it. The people they rail against likely have qualities the nerd wishes he had. That's why they tend to have such elaborate power fantasies. They're aware there are certain behaviors and qualities people find desirable but they themselves are incapable of exhibiting those behaviors sincerely.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
shut up about nerds ffs
you are SA goons jfc what do you think you are

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im a nerd

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

I also find it really ironic that the type of nerds that are so hostile to 'jocks' inevitably exhibit the exact same behavior they tend to rail against- they're often narrow minded, power hungry petty assholes themselves. Look at bad guild leaders in mmos for example.

There's this deep seated insecurity in all of it. The people they rail against likely have qualities the nerd wishes he had. That's why they tend to have such elaborate power fantasies. They're aware there are certain behaviors and qualities people find desirable but they themselves are incapable of exhibiting those behaviors sincerely.

The worst offenders are also frequently white guys that had power, wealth, and prestige promised to them growing up and expected to get it handed to them for free. This is where parasite singles with nothing going on in their lives come from; their parents are wealthy enough to support them indefinitely but they can't apply themselves well enough to get a job. Often they'll fail out of STEM programs and blame everybody else. Being in charge of an MMO guild gives them a sense of accomplishment that they can't get anywhere else.

It's also easier there. In the real world being an important leader takes effort, compromise, and people skills. Being a leader in a typical MMO just means being the most powerful character in the organization, having the best gear, and some minor organizational skills. You don't even need to shower ever. EVE is a noteworthy exception to this but even there a lot of corps are run by awful neckbeards.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Scarf posted:

Australians literally can't help themselves with black face

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zelder posted:

Australians literally can't help themselves with black face

Well, it's not like America where white people of European decent subjugated and dehumanized a group of darker skinned people in ...wait, what the gently caress Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Watrick posted:

"You don't give your business card to someone, say 'call me', and not call them back. That's very passive aggressive. You should look up passive aggressive personality disorder."

"I'm one of the few guys in the city that has nothing wrong with them."

This guy is straight up delusional. It's almost magical.

The phrase "you should look up passive-aggressive personality disorder" is a level of unintended irony that's slaying me.

• Locked thread