Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

IED's suck dick.

I'm a bit surprised that the Saudis are letting dudes roll around without those fancy signal jammers that we developed for dealing with this poo poo in Iraq.

probaly because House Saud don't actually give two fucks about their soldiers and would rather spend the money on high priced call girls, private concerts and new awful domestic laws. they are like middle age rulers, they dont care that a ton there serf footman are being blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

Good news but really, this is another clue that Russia is interested in a thawing of relationships with the West.

Staffan de Mistura, while being largely independent, certainly shares the love reserved by Italians for Kurds, back when Italy and Turkey nearly severed relationships about granting political asylum to Ocalan.

In lighter news, a few ancient marbles of nudes have been hidden with cardboard to avoid embarrassing Iranian president Rouhani in his visit to Italy, where a bunch of contracts have been signed and a few old ones have been renewed.

Covering up the nudes pisses me off way more than it should.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

Remember that the guy has a domestic audience to think about. Appearing in photos while surrounded by piles of Renaissance nudes wouldn't go over well with your average Iranian voter.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Count Roland posted:

https://twitter.com/ArtWendeley/status/692088305144328192?s=17

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Count Roland posted:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Pretty seamless shop, better than the OBL killing one.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Count Roland posted:

Where, exactly, is the expectation that one SHOULDN'T be pissed off about a gesture of cultural deference to one of the world's worst theocracies coming from?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

LeoMarr posted:

There isn't much money left for agricultural adventures let alone military ones.

Maybe putin could provide a loan from his $40bn private stash?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35385445

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Rnr posted:

Maybe putin could provide a loan from his $40bn private stash?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35385445

I find the 40 billion number to be awfully low. Of course it's just speculation I assume. But he has the entire apparatus of a state (a petrostate no less although that hasn't been so great the last year and an half) to enrich himself and keep his wealth secret. I wouldn't be surprised if he was worth more than Bill Gates or Carlos Slim.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Reminds me of how NBC blurred the boobs and bums on a 15th century painting during an episode of Hannibal: http://i.imgur.com/fsWJP8t.jpg :raise:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Liberal_L33t posted:

Where, exactly, is the expectation that one SHOULDN'T be pissed off about a gesture of cultural deference to one of the world's worst theocracies coming from?

Yeah they should have covered up all the Cathedrals.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Charliegrs posted:

I find the 40 billion number to be awfully low. Of course it's just speculation I assume. But he has the entire apparatus of a state (a petrostate no less although that hasn't been so great the last year and an half) to enrich himself and keep his wealth secret. I wouldn't be surprised if he was worth more than Bill Gates or Carlos Slim.

What does he need money for when he can just take what he wants, whenever he wants? I'm sure he has money but nowhere near $40 billion. He doesn't need it. People will either give him whatever he wants or he'll just take it and nobody will say poo poo.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
http://isis.liveuamap.com/en/2016/26-january-mass-grave-found-in-iraqs-ramadi-jamiyah-area

quote:

Mass grave found in #Iraq's Ramadi (Jam'iyah area). Reportedly containing 40+ corpses of civilians and soldiers.
There's a video attached if you feel like losing a bit more of your soul.

E: And in other news:
http://www.rudaw.net/NewsDetails.aspx?pageid=189573

quote:

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani told political parties on Tuesday that a referendum on Kurdish independence should take place before the US presidential election in November.

According to information obtained by Rudaw, Barzani said the Kurdistan region "should hold a referendum before the US presidential election kicks off," which would be next November.

On Sunday, Barzani met with top officials from the major Kurdish parties, including his Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) and the Kurdistan Islamic Union to find formula to solve a political impasse and economic crisis in the region.

The meeting agreed to begin working on question of the referendum and resolve problems between the deadlocked Kurdish political parties.
George W. Bush: the dude who literally erased a country from the map as a result of his presidency.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 27, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah they should have covered up all the Catholics

ftfy

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Anyone know what Iranian thinks of covering up the art? Officially and non-officially?

Someone mentioned that it was done so that the hardliners didnt have something to get a their knickers in a wad in their railings against Rouhani.

Also...after 5 years of this thread I can sum something up....I HATE interesting times.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

fade5 posted:

http://isis.liveuamap.com/en/2016/26-january-mass-grave-found-in-iraqs-ramadi-jamiyah-area

There's a video attached if you feel like losing a bit more of your soul.

E: And in other news:
http://www.rudaw.net/NewsDetails.aspx?pageid=189573

George W. Bush: the dude who literally erased a country from the map as a result of his presidency.

How dare you, Bush was a great leader that kicked off the process of correcting the great mistake that was Sykes-Picot. So a few (hundred thousand) eggs got broken in the process...egg, omelette, etc.

Incidentally, 2016 is the 100th anniversary of said mistake.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sergg posted:

What does he need money for when he can just take what he wants, whenever he wants? I'm sure he has money but nowhere near $40 billion. He doesn't need it. People will either give him whatever he wants or he'll just take it and nobody will say poo poo.

You could be right. But I think a lot of dictators have a habit of accumulating massive amounts of cash in case they lose power from an invasion/coup/uprising etc and need to high tail it out of the country and be set for life afterwards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Remember that the guy has a domestic audience to think about. Appearing in photos while surrounded by piles of Renaissance nudes wouldn't go over well with your average Iranian voter.

Also, hard to hide a boner while wearing robes

dem Renaissance ladies :fap:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

54.4 crowns posted:

Anyone know what Iranian thinks of covering up the art? Officially and non-officially?

Someone mentioned that it was done so that the hardliners didnt have something to get a their knickers in a wad in their railings against Rouhani.

I recall instances of Iranian politicians abroad being publicly criticized by hardliners in Tehran for shaking hands with women. So it's apparently something that can have real political ramifications, as insane as Iran's monstrously trivial sexual authoritarianism can seem.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Barzani floated the idea of a referendum last year and pretty much had his arm twisted to climb down on the statement by the US.

A unilateral referendum is v. unlikely to get Washington's support

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Charliegrs posted:

You could be right. But I think a lot of dictators have a habit of accumulating massive amounts of cash in case they lose power from an invasion/coup/uprising etc and need to high tail it out of the country and be set for life afterwards.

Putin doesn't have to worry about that ever happening. He's got Russia on lockdown and he's gonna be ruling it until he's an old man ready to retire to some fancy dacha.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
The Italian way of conducting business is to be overtly polite during the signing of the deal and then to take the money and run, nobody except hardliners literal fascists objected to covering the nudes if that meant signing a few deals.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Hey, I didn't know he was from Texas

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 27, 2016

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Cippalippus posted:

The Italian way of conducting business is to be overtly polite during the signing of the deal and then to take the money and run, nobody except hardliners literal fascists objected to covering the nudes if that meant signing a few deals.

Hey, I didn't know he was from Texas

Update: it is now a political case since both the ministry of culture and the head of government deny that they ordered to cover the statues.
They don't know who had the idea and are adding another layer of farce to the story :italy:

The Iranian president denied that he minded those nude marbles anyway, but he was grateful for the "excellent hospitality".

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

54.4 crowns posted:

Also...after 5 years of this thread I can sum something up....I HATE interesting times.

Keep in mind Iran is probably one of the most diverse countries in the world when it comes to sexual attitudes. You have places like Tehran suburbs where its pretty much America. On the other hand Iran has the largest population of nomads in the world, and outside of Tehran (which is about the size of London, so thats a decent chunk of the country) the population is pretty rural in general.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This was linked without explanation in the GiP Current Events thread but I can't find any major news source corroborating, is Paris having another riot or is this an old video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmZqoHtwNI

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Asehujiko posted:

This was linked without explanation in the GiP Current Events thread but I can't find any major news source corroborating, is Paris having another riot or is this an old video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmZqoHtwNI

Must be old. There's a watermark sometime that says "hodih", I've tracked it to be probably from hodiho, a sort of video Cracked for people bored at the office, but I can't find that video on it.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Annual UN report from the Yemen sanction monitors is pretty scathing in its critique of the Saudi coalition's war.

quote:

Yemen conflict: Saudi-led coalition targeting civilians, UN says

The Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi rebel movement in Yemen has targeted civilians with air strikes in a "widespread and systematic" manner, a leaked UN report says.
The UN panel of experts said civilians were also being deliberately starved as a war tactic over the past nine months.
The panel called for an inquiry into human rights abuses.

The coalition is attempting to oust the rebels from Yemen's capital, Sanaa, and restore the country's government. Saudi Arabia says the Houthis, who allied with forces linked to Yemen's former president, are supported militarily by its regional rival Iran - something it denies. More than 5,800 people have been killed in fighting since March, and more than 80% of the population is in dire need of food, water and other aid, the UN says.

"Not a single humanitarian pause to alleviate the suffering of the Yemeni people has been fully observed by any Yemeni party or by the coalition," the report says. The UN's experts documented 119 coalition sorties that violated international law, the report says, many of which involved multiple strikes on civilian objects. They also found that civilians fleeing coalition air strikes had been chased and shot at by helicopters. The new report follows intensifying concern over the deteriorating situation in Yemen. Earlier this month, Yemen's government briefly expelled the UN's human rights representative following reports that the Saudi-led coalition had been using cluster bombs.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon warned at the time that the use of cluster bombs could amount to a war crime. Meanwhile, Dutch diplomats were forced to abandon a proposal in the UN Human Rights Council calling for an international fact finding mission to Yemen, reportedly under pressure from Saudi Arabia. The new UN report also expresses concern about the build-up of weapons in Yemen. The panel examined anti-tank guided missiles originating from Iran that were seized off the coast of Oman in September and are now in the US. It also accused the Saudi coalition of supplying weapons to armed groups "without taking due measures to ensure accountability and due storage". The panel relied on satellite imagery and other sources of information because its members were not allowed to travel to Yemen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35423282

Reminder that the US, UK and France belongs to this coalition.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Svartvit posted:

Annual UN report from the Yemen sanction monitors is pretty scathing in its critique of the Saudi coalition's war.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35423282

We can't afford to offend the Saudi's because [REASONS]!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Because [GAS].

It's the reason. Let's not pretend it doesnt exist.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Because [GAS].

It's the reason. Let's not pretend it doesnt exist.

You what mate?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Svartvit posted:

Not full-fledged parts of the coalition, they only provide logistical support. Well, the US and UK also provide weapons and intel, and they also help maintain the blockade.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

Not full-fledged parts of the coalition, they only provide logistical support. Well, the US and UK also provide weapons and intel, and they also help maintain the blockade.

The US is the KSA's entire logistics chain. We're not picking the targets and dropping the bombs, but we do pretty much everything else.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Reuters reporting that the YPG is planning an offensive to take Manbij, Jarablus and ... Azaz.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

MothraAttack posted:

Reuters reporting that the YPG is planning an offensive to take Manbij, Jarablus and ... Azaz.

What groups currently operate in Azaz?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MothraAttack posted:

Operation Azazle Dazzle.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

The US is the KSA's entire logistics chain. We're not picking the targets and dropping the bombs, but we do pretty much everything else.

It's frustrating that this isn't even a political issue in the US.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's frustrating that this doesn't even seem to be a political issue in the US.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
So Iran just went buckwild and ordered a poo poo ton of Airbus planes, including the 380 which hasn't seen any orders in forever. The US State Department spent a lot of time on this deal with Iran and was out front and center on a lot of it, are any US companies expected to benefit from this?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheBuilder posted:

So Iran just went buckwild and ordered a poo poo ton of Airbus planes, including the 380 which hasn't seen any orders in forever. The US State Department spent a lot of time on this deal with Iran and was out front and center on a lot of it, are any US companies expected to benefit from this?

Seems like they are going to visit Boeing next for ~100 long range planes so, probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheBuilder posted:

Not if we implement unilateral sanctions.

• Locked thread