Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
What happens if your spouse is deaf? Does British Sign Language count as English? Given this government's record with disabilities I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like how since May the main leitmotif of political debate in this country is polls and the politics of interpretation. Statisticians and literary theorists must be exhausted.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

What happens if your spouse is deaf? Does British Sign Language count as English? Given this government's record with disabilities I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

i think this is the sort of thing that is safe to assume that people are expecting would be ironed out in the eventuality of a law like this passing

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
IDS is a oval office.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

i think this is the sort of thing that is safe to assume that people are expecting would be ironed out in the eventuality of a law like this passing

now now, I don't think the government will flatten deaf people with giant irons

they'd just starve them to death by sanctioning them

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
On the other hand

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/692672788730155008
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/692672815976284160

Hmm yes national service let's bring that back

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"healthly"?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Bring back hanging and the cane imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's a poifectly cromulent wurd / spellang.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends whether it has to be militarized or whether it could be entirely a civic thing, like helping the NHS/firefighters/building flood defenses/making lovely housing less poo poo. I'm not sure the amount of training that would be required would make it worthwhile for a 3/4 year stint though.

J_RBG posted:

Bring back hanging and the cane imo
Why do they always want to bring back the things that the government/authorities were banned from doing, like hanging people or whipping children or conscription, but don't want to bring back the things that the government banned other people from doing like owning a dog with a scary breed name or smoking a joint?

Except discriminating based on race (e: or gender or sexuality). UKIP seem pretty keen to bring back that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bring back Jacobin traditions.

Guillotine the rich, guillotine the poor, guillotine the natives, guillotine the foreigners. Off with all heads, let's make Saudi Arabia feel ashamed at our superior head-slicey.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Looks like Cameron's secured his four year ban on filthy bunches of EU citizens coming to abuse our generous welfare state:
http://news.trust.org/item/20160128132543-nz4dd

quote:

BRUSSELS, Jan 28 (Reuters) - The European Union is offering Britain a new "emergency brake" rule that could help curb immigration from other EU states in a reform package before a British referendum on EU membership, sources close to the negotiations told Reuters on Thursday.

The proposal would give any member state that could convince EU governments that its welfare system was under excessive strain a right to deny benefits to new workers arriving from other EU countries for up to four years. That has been a key demand of Prime Minister David Cameron and one which many EU leaders have said risks conflict with citizens' treaty rights.

Cameron will discuss the proposal in Brussels on Friday with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, whose institution would have to initiate any such legislation, sources said. Cameron is keen to have measures adopted that can convince Britons to vote to stay in the EU, possibly as early as June.

If he and Juncker agree, then a broader, outline package of EU reforms could be approved by Cameron in a meeting on Sunday with European Council President Donald Tusk. Much of the rest of the package has already been broadly agreed, the sources said.

Tusk, who chairs EU summits, is expected to circulate written proposals on reform to the other 27 EU governments early next week with the aim of resolving remaining disagreements when EU leaders next meet in Brussels on Feb. 18-19.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good to know the EU will bend over for our pissy little country because they're scared we might leave their lovely union.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Depends whether it has to be militarized or whether it could be entirely a civic thing, like helping the NHS/firefighters/building flood defenses/making lovely housing less poo poo. I'm not sure the amount of training that would be required would make it worthwhile for a 3/4 year stint though.

If the army can you have combat ready in under a year I'm pretty sure you can train some people to do some civic jobs for the benefit of the less fortunate in much less time. It doesn't even have to be full time, just a couple of days a week. Might go a long way to helping people empathize with those lousy scroungers!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This country is a sack of poo poo.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They'll never be able to prove that the benefits system is under excessive strain as a result of migration though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you look at their close work with IBM the Nazis were better than most at managing large scale government IT contracts

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gonzo McFee posted:

This country is a sack of poo poo.

And that reflects poorly on Corbyn's leadership.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Bring back national service, but only for people who vote for national service.

It's pretty unfair to take however many years of someones life because they happen to be young (and possibly of a certain gender), especially when they can't even vote against it and people who didn't and won't have to do it can. It's not even wartime, they're just bastards.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Tesseraction posted:

Good to know the EU will bend over for our pissy little country because they're scared we might leave their lovely union.

it's an interesting strategy of negotiating, and it would be clever if it weren't so obviously unsustainable: set up the daedalus' sword of the referendum, then try to leverage that to squeeze concessions in the interim

i don't think it's going to work, though, merkel and juncker do not normally brook this kind of foolishness, and merkel needs her clout in the EU now more than ever as events in cologne have seen her position somewhat weakened

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bring back capital punishment: by which I mean we punish the capital for the awful polices they keep producing.

Hang London, burn Manchester, nuke Birmingham.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

If the army can you have combat ready in under a year I'm pretty sure you can train some people to do some civic jobs for the benefit of the less fortunate in much less time. It doesn't even have to be full time, just a couple of days a week. Might go a long way to helping people empathize with those lousy scroungers!
Also it'd mean that people from all walks of life had to intermingle during their tenure, there would be no opt-out for public schoolboys and no special elite division of the civic service.
(Of course there would be, because it would end up being designed by shits, but I mean ideally.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Also it'd mean that people from all walks of life had to intermingle during their tenure, there would be no opt-out for public schoolboys and no special elite division of the civic service.
(Of course there would be, because it would end up being designed by shits, but I mean ideally.)

It's more that the public schoolboys would be made the officers. As in civil life, so in the military.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Sounds like we should do it for 40-60 year olds.

e: If it was retroactive, I'd be fine with it but it would just be another way for baby boomers and gen x to take a massive poo poo on the young after pulling up all the ladders i cant wait till theyre dead

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

Sounds like we should do it for 40-60 year olds.

e: If it was retroactive, I'd be fine with it but it would just be another way for baby boomers and gen x to take a massive poo poo on the young after pulling up all the ladders i cant wait till theyre dead

I agree. The Baby Boomers got out of doing it and we have suffered for it. Force them to do the backbreaking military labour and then decide if they want future generations to do it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

It's more that the public schoolboys would be made the officers. As in civil life, so in the military.
Regional assignment should be by lottery, so they could end up in some post industrial northern town.

Officers should be selected by the local councils, being as they're the ones who will be getting the most public benefit.

I can't think of any other way that wouldn't result in rampant favoritism for the elite.

Then again, placing a bunch of randomly selected 17 year olds under the purview ‎of British local authorities has the possibility of going badly wrong too. :pedo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Random Integer posted:

Lots of people in IT are libertarian because they're loving idiots who think knowing how to code or administer networks makes them Randian Ubermensch when they're actually just technology janitors. It also contains a disproportionately high number of middle class white dudes who have never really had to struggle for anything so they think anyone who does have to struggle for anything must really just be lazy/stupid. I say this as a middle class white dude who works in IT and has never really had to struggle for anything.

I don't get what's wrong with being a technology janitor, that's useful work. I wish I could be a technology janitor.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

V. Illych L. posted:

it's an interesting strategy of negotiating, and it would be clever if it weren't so obviously unsustainable: set up the daedalus' sword of the referendum, then try to leverage that to squeeze concessions in the interim

FYI the phrase you're looking for is "sword of damocles". Daedalus is the guy who built the labyrinth on Crete.

Daedalus' sword would probably be covered in dicks and shoot fire and come to life at night and gently caress your wife.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 28, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And also fly, being as Daedalus was the father of Icarus.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I learned about the Sword of Damocles from the first Tomb Raider game where you had to traverse the Damocles Room where swords would drop from the ceiling if you weren't careful where you trod.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Another blunder for Corbyn as he misses an open goal opportunity by refusing to condemn parents of children who choose not to get dressed before taking their kids to school.

quote:

The Labour leader smiled and said: “I didn’t know the teacher had written to parents.

“I’ve got a lot of sympathy for that teacher, but I wouldn’t get too hung up about the whole thing.

“The most important thing is to get the kids into school, the most important thing is to get them there on time, the most important thing is to make sure they have breakfast before they go to school, that they can concentrate when they’re there, and they’ve slept the night before.”

A head teacher of a school in Darlington wrote to parents asking them to not come to school in their pyjamas.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Its going to be p. hilarious if Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland tip the Brexit referendum to a stay result with England voting to leave, the gap is small enough that looks like it could happen (bearing in mind ICM doesn't gather data in Northern Ireland which, though only 3% of the population, is looking to carry a good few yes votes).

It's going to EVEL on crack if that happens.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

kustomkarkommando posted:

Its going to be p. hilarious if Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland tip the Brexit referendum to a stay result with England voting to leave, the gap is small enough that looks like it could happen (bearing in mind ICM doesn't gather data in Northern Ireland which, though only 3% of the population, is looking to carry a good few yes votes).

It's going to EVEL on crack if that happens.

I don't see that being a problem unless the Leave campaign really pushes it as an 'England' issue.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Haha are ICM really not polling one of the likely yes strongholds? How do they account for that in their methodology, extra Scots?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Another blunder for Corbyn as he misses an open goal opportunity by refusing to condemn parents of children who choose not to get dressed before taking their kids to school.

A head teacher of a school in Darlington wrote to parents asking them to not come to school in their pyjamas.

I don't really see what the big deal is if parents take their kids to school in pyjamas. I haven't ever done it myself (though when it is especially cold and I am especially lazy I have put clothes on top of my pyjamas) but like he said, if the kids have been fed and appropriately clothed why does it really matter?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Saw this on Twitter

Anyone know of any figures that show this to be true. I can only find one that says Wales get more money that they put in (Though they do admit it's hard to get accurate figures) which is what I've heard in the past. Has this changed recently?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't really see what the big deal is if parents take their kids to school in pyjamas. I haven't ever done it myself (though when it is especially cold and I am especially lazy I have put clothes on top of my pyjamas) but like he said, if the kids have been fed and appropriately clothed why does it really matter?

It matters to me. It's revolting, especially when the same people will wander to the shops in their jim jams in the middle of the day. It's slovenly as gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phoon posted:

Haha are ICM really not polling one of the likely yes strongholds? How do they account for that in their methodology, extra Scots?

No, they simply don't account for it at all so that an exit vote seems more likely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oberleutnant posted:

Add it to the op imo

Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It doesn't count as English. It's s language in its own right.

Pissflaps posted:

I think you are reaching now

• Locked thread