Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I love social interactions when I find the characters interesting and care about them. They were one of my favorite parts of P4G, for instance. In ToCS, though, the characters mostly just don't click with me at all and when the interactions between them is a major focus of the game it drags it down for me.
i like pretty much every character in cold steel including the random bit characters

in p4 i liked, like, two people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i understand that that's subjective, though, but you have to admit that 'hey, do some errands in this place and learn about the town' is more interesting than 'hey, grind through ten floors of this random dungeon with no interesting mechanics'

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Cold Steel has a pretty good cast and they all have enough depth to overcome the bad first impressions many of them give. Rean may be the weakest because he doesn't really stand out but he ended up being pretty likable overall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly rean actually does stand out. he's still pretty 'male protag' but he has actual personality traits and it actually feels reasonable that the other characters kind of treat him as the leader of the class. honestly he's probably one of the big reasons why i like the cs cast way more than the P4 cast, them talking to an actual character instead of a brick wall helps a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that I wasn't too big on Rean mostly because I didn't care about his sister much and I got annoyed at the "We went to Ymir but... that's another story!" thing. (I know there's an audio drama that translates it but I need to get around to listening to it.) He's still better than the P4 or P3 protagonists though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

honestly rean actually does stand out. he's still pretty 'male protag' but he has actual personality traits and it actually feels reasonable that the other characters kind of treat him as the leader of the class. honestly he's probably one of the big reasons why i like the cs cast way more than the P4 cast, them talking to an actual character instead of a brick wall helps a lot.

I just meant relative to the others. I thought Rean was a really cool dude but who also had real personality traits like high schoolers do. Like, for example, he's a dude who is actually aware of the women around him. I also agree that his role as leader felt really earned. He's just not as cute as Estelle.

EDIT: The only character I didn't really like was Rean's sister, I think. I agree with ImpAtom on that. Millium was annoying but that was literally her character trait so I can't get too upset about that.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 28, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Cold Steel looks like boring sludge to me it just screams, "We can't write anything thing that isn't lovely high school anime tropes, so we're going to waste an entire interesting world by just having you be kids at school."

I need to get back to TiTs Part 1, aside from it screaming to the heavens that Estelle and Joshua want to bone each other, it was fun and I only finished the prologue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Cold Steel looks like boring sludge to me it just screams, "We can't write anything thing that isn't lovely high school anime tropes, so we're going to waste an entire interesting world by just having you be kids at school."

I need to get back to TiTs Part 1, aside from it screaming to the heavens that Estelle and Joshua want to bone each other, it was fun and I only finished the prologue.

You spend a relatively small amount of time at school because the bulk of the game is about Field Studies which take you to different places in the land. The vast majority of the stuff in school is literally skipped over. Your events go Free Day (sidequests + the Old Schoolhouse dungeon)-> Practical Exam (combat test) -> Field Study (visit another place that is not a school) -> Free Day and the game basically skips over everything that isn't those.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You're not even students anymore in CSII

Also the Thors parts are cool since they bunch all the npcs in one spot so it's easy to keep up on their stories

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

that's kind of a big judgement to pass based on the barest amount of knowledge of the game's story

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One game out of eight focusing on students from various backgrounds: a complete waste of a world.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 28, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

The entire point of the school setting is having you go around learning about the world, dude. It's almost the exact same set-up as Trails in the Sky where you go to a place, learn a bit about it, solve some issue there, then move on to the next place, the only difference is that between chapters you go back to the school for a few days of loving around there, and tbh that set-up allows for party members to get more development and feel more grounded than in trails in the sky. In TiTS someone like Zane or Tita gets shoved to the wayside, but in Cold Steel there's enough downtime in a centralized location that even the more peripheral party members get some screentime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the writing in cold steel is way better than the writing in sky fc, tbh

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

the writing in cold steel is way better than the writing in sky fc, tbh

100%

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is on the Wii U for $8

Breath of Fire III is coming to the PSN in February for $10. (PS3, PSP, PS Vita, and PS TV)

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

khy posted:

Why, god, why can we not get a new Shining Force TRPG game like SF1/2/3/Gaiden???

Almost certainly not the answer you're looking for on multiple levels but the big pile of Japan only shining games contains three tactics games, Shining Force Feather for the DS and two games for the PSP built off of the Valkyria Chronicles engine (Shining Blade and Shining Ark).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3Sr4JmMXw

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm just excited to play BoF3 again.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is on the Wii U for $8

Breath of Fire III is coming to the PSN in February for $10. (PS3, PSP, PS Vita, and PS TV)

Jesus, it's about time on BoF3. Shame FFTA2 isn't coming to WiiU instead.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Unless they hosed things up with their announcement blurb, it's just for PSP/Vita/TV only, because they went with the PSP version over the PSX one. I can't really think of a reason they would have been forced to do that though, unless something is eluding me here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Unless they hosed things up with their announcement blurb, it's just for PSP/Vita/TV only, because they went with the PSP version over the PSX one. I can't really think of a reason they would have been forced to do that though, unless something is eluding me here.

The PS1 version has legal problems due to Ultraman rip off thing, I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I played the alpha demo of this mech game called Dual Gear: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dual-gear-mecha-turn-based-x-action-game#/

It's basically the style of Front Mission but the gameplay of a resource-intensive Valkyria Chronicles, and it's something I'll back because it really nails those two elements.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Well poo poo. I saw that PS3 wasn't5 listed but I chalked that up to shoddy reporting. I didn't think that the game could be excised from one console while remaining available on the other devices that draw from the same pool (PSN's PSX catalog). That sucks, but I'd be playing it on my Vita anyway.

e: I didn't realize there was a PSP version of it. Any notable differences from the original?

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This talk of Cold Steel makes me want to play it. Still got TitS FC to finish and SC to even start though. I like the characters and the world but the pacing is completely hosed for the first half of FC and it's only really coming into chapter 2 where the plot starts getting actually interesting. If it weren't for the characters and world building, I'd have probably dropped it.

Is Cold Steel any better about plot pacing? I know the characters seem like typical anime tropes at first but then they develop into something more interesting but I don't know if I have the patience for another game where you spend a good 25+ hours doing minor stuff that's irrelevant to the plot and only getting tiny snippets of plot relevant information once in a blue moon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah it's better. Keep in mind Cold Steel was made waaaaaaay after FC/SC/three other games. Everything about it is pretty much better except the stuff they are trying for the first time: all 3D graphics, trying to balance the combat, etc.

Taste in characters is up to you. The game takes place on the more interesting side of the in world border IMO.

I just can't stand the combat anymore these days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: I didn't realize there was a PSP version of it. Any notable differences from the original?

A sprite was recolored, the game is in widescreen, slightly longer load times which won't matter when it's digital, and then you could play the fishing minigame from the main menu. Nothing major.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I found a video that answers my questions about Bof3 PSX/PSP versions. I guess the original version of Stallion was too direct a parody of an Ultraman character, but the recolored the sprite and adjusted an attack animation for the PSP. So Sakurazuka, you were pretty much on the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u18WnlYibg0

e: beat but still neat

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is Cold Steel any better about plot pacing? I know the characters seem like typical anime tropes at first but then they develop into something more interesting but I don't know if I have the patience for another game where you spend a good 25+ hours doing minor stuff that's irrelevant to the plot and only getting tiny snippets of plot relevant information once in a blue moon.

Cold Steel's pacing is similar to Sky FC's in that the main plot in the forefront doesn't officially show up until nearly 2/3rds of the way through the game, but the stuff leading up in Cold Steel is there to set up the major backdrop of what's leading to this problem in the first place, compared to Sky FC's investigating problems in an area that are only revealed to possibly lead up to part of the greater overall story in hindsight.

Also, I feel that Cold Steel's ending is more like a sneak peak/a prologue for Cold Steel II than anything else, while Sky FC's ending resolves it's initial major goals which makes Sky FC feel like more of a complete story on it own while still being part of a bigger overall story.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I couldn't disagree more. The worldbuilding and character stuff is way more interesting than the plot. I felt that way about TitS too where I gave way less of a poo poo about Oroborous than I did the goofy character interaction and world development.

For once it seems like we agree on something.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

khy posted:

Why, god, why can we not get a new Shining Force TRPG game like SF1/2/3/Gaiden???

My two guesses.

Less Likely: They saw that Nintendo started porting Fire Emblem over to the states and just threw in the towel.
More Likely: It's not Sonic, and the last time they tried an SRPG over here was Valkyria Chronicles, and we've talked plenty about the success of that game.

I tried to play SF III once. It was rough going. I quit about 2/3rds through the first disk. Then when I went back the device I used basically decided "NOPE"! My game was deleted and the graphics, sound and controls were all messed up for absolutely no reason.

I'd love for them to actually legit remake the game but the Saturn was apparently the console equivalent of the Necronomicon and if the code for all 3 parts of SF III were put onto a single disk I think it would summon Cthulhu.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man no offense meant to the Shining Force fans but if Sega was going to resurrect one of their tactics series and bring more of it to the US could it please be Sakura Taisen instead?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Getsuya posted:

Man no offense meant to the Shining Force fans but if Sega was going to resurrect one of their tactics series and bring more of it to the US could it please be Sakura Taisen instead?
I'm not a huge Sakura Taisen fan, but the recent Shining games in Japan have been real bad so I gotta agree with this

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sega doesn't need Sakura Taisen anymore, they have Persona and Devil Survivor to fill that niche.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TurnipFritter posted:

Sega doesn't need Sakura Taisen anymore, they have Persona and Devil Survivor to fill that niche.

I'd rather have Sakura Taisen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd rather have Sakura Taisen.

Chie avatar.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

due to shenanigans i've ended up with a month of PS Now

are any of the agarest games worth playing at the low low price of free (and if so which one), and if not are any of the other rpgs/anime things on PS now worth playing?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I have played most of the Agarest games and even the best one is probably not worth playing for free.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I might do a trial run at agarest, because why not. The soonest game I want isn't out until next friday.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Sakura Taisen is a niche that neither of those games can fill very well. Sega never made a finer set of waifus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I remember the LP of Agarest 2 said it was the most competent but still quite a lot of weird scenes here and there.