Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewbag
Nov 4, 2009

Bugsy posted:

All done.

Cheers for this, much nicer being able to ask questions while getting used to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Dewbag posted:

Cheers for this, much nicer being able to ask questions while getting used to the game.

I ask about a million questions, My character is NothinButArrows and Im more or less constantly bugging goons.

Dewbag
Nov 4, 2009
How long has this game existed? Seems pretty polished but also missing some common things.
I seem to always join a game quite a while after it's release which means there's a massive learning curve which was more gradual for old timers as they released new features.

EDIT: Turns out it's October 2013, so yes I am late to the party.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Why is there no force move keybind on its own still :psyduck: Taking up a skill slot is baffling.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I can't think of a single build that uses every single skill slot as an active ability. I guess maybe if you did a summoner where everything was self-cast and multiple curses? But usually the only way you fill up everything is auras and those don't need to be actively visible.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I frequently run out of key binds because I'm a fag who loves having a 2L skill or whatever if I have the slots for it and it's situationaly useful. Also, I really hate loving with auras when I die or log in or whatever.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I can't think of a single build that uses every single skill slot as an active ability. I guess maybe if you did a summoner where everything was self-cast and multiple curses? But usually the only way you fill up everything is auras and those don't need to be actively visible.

Throw a couple veal skills in there and it's pretty easy for a lot of builds.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Ultima66 posted:

First screenshot I found of a tooltip just looking at witch section on official forums:

~200 mana per second used (25 base mana cost on his Bladefall).

The thing with bladefall is that you barely ever need to cast it more than once anyway.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I frequently run out of key binds because I'm a fag who loves having a 2L skill or whatever if I have the slots for it and it's situationaly useful. Also, I really hate loving with auras when I die or log in or whatever.

I hate auras too and wish I could be blood magic on every character but playing without Warlord's Mark + Blasphemy :negative:

also: anyone who ever done a Queen of the Forest build; how much evasion % you need to get from the tree with average to poo poo gear to not be slow as balls?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

also: anyone who ever done a Queen of the Forest build; how much evasion % you need to get from the tree with average to poo poo gear to not be slow as balls?

This depends really heavily on whether you're using a shield.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Every time I've used it I've run Grace to have minimum 10000 evasion. The only annoyance is being in towns where your auras are turned off. If you're not using Grace you'd have to be using a really good shield for justify wearing it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
New Ascendancy reveals:
Marauder's Berserker subclass (weird as gently caress, seems like one of the weakest ascendancy classes shown so far)
http://www.pcgamer.com/path-of-exiles-new-ascendancy-class-is-the-berserker/

Templar Hierophant (Really loving good. Welcome to the 4 totem zone.)
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/path-of-exile-adds-new-ascendancy-class-the-hierop/1100-6434233/

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Holy poo poo hierophant looks amazing.

edit: Berserker looks like it's encouraging a high risk/reward thing with maybe a lower overall healthpool and high regen/LL but the advantages don't seem worthwhile.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 28, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And the ranger one as well: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/view/gametrailers-com/116744-Path-of-Exile-Pathfinder-Class-Reveal

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

First screenshot I found of a tooltip just looking at witch section on official forums:

~200 mana per second used (25 base mana cost on his Bladefall).

Other popular/previously popular self cast spells:
-Ethereal Knives costs 8% less mana and casts 25% faster, so it spends ~1.15x as much mana
-Ice Nova costs 24% more mana and casts ~9% slower: ~1.12x the cost
-Ball Lightning costs 8% more mana and casts at the same speed
-Arc and Glacial Cascade have the same cost and cast speed as Bladefall (4% more at lvl 20)
-Blade Vortex costs 24% less mana and casts 60% faster, ~1.21x the cost
-Shock Nova costs 4% more mana and casts 6.25% slower, 0.975x the cost
-Firestorm costs the same as Shock Nova

Basically you need somewhere between 200 and 250 mana regen per second to constantly self cast spells.
Ehhh. This is a 6L. By the time you have a 6L you can definitely sustain that. Not only that, but it's a 6L that has both faster casting and spell echo. Personally I haven't found any issues self-sustaining spells at higher levels, though I haven't had a 6L yet.

One way or another you can make it sustainable though, between Warlord Mark or Assasin Mark or simply having good mana regeneration/man cost reductions.

Casting on ES is usually much, much more painful I have found, given that you can't regen ES naturally without stopping to spend, so at the very least this means no mvmt skill, and it usually means "no spamming skill" too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any recommendations for a beginner Shadow build in the Talisman league? Just starting with a friend and I don't have the faintest idea what he should try.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for a beginner Shadow build in the Talisman league? Just starting with a friend and I don't have the faintest idea what he should try.

If he wants to be really OP, Bladefall trapper.

I like this one even though it doesn't have a huge deal going for it besides the flask charge on crit and regaining flask charges every 3 seconds things.
It's nice to know that having 100% chance to avoid elemental status prevents floor effects. I was curious if that would work but never tried it out because it required actually wearing Icetomb.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 28, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
4 totem templar

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Hierophant seems loving busted :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

4 totem templar

Templar with 5 5L skills.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's a lot of totems.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

theshim posted:

Hierophant seems loving busted :stare:

It is worth noting that 10% less damage per totem actually makes a huge difference. 4 totems deal as much as 2.62 totems without any damage penalties (with much more consistent damage and more covered area). 5 totems actually deal less than a normal 3 totem build. But then you still have your three free five links from Illuminated Devotion or your free charges from Conviction of Power.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

This depends really heavily on whether you're using a shield.

Ultima66 posted:

Every time I've used it I've run Grace to have minimum 10000 evasion. The only annoyance is being in towns where your auras are turned off. If you're not using Grace you'd have to be using a really good shield for justify wearing it.

Most likely with a shield but hopefully not Grace. Trying to come up with a trapper build that actually has defences for ascendency. It'll be non-crit and not sure on whether it'll be MoM (with or without auras) or Blood Magic yet but I want to try to run that Clear Mind jewel

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Uvula posted:

It is worth noting that 10% less damage per totem actually makes a huge difference. 4 totems deal as much as 2.62 totems without any damage penalties (with much more consistent damage and more covered area). 5 totems actually deal less than a normal 3 totem build. But then you still have your three free five links from Illuminated Devotion or your free charges from Conviction of Power.

You also get 32% cast speed with 4 totems out from Pursuit of Faith so that should help out with the less damage per totem thing. Thats a lot of cast speed.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Skills from your gloves have 20% increased area of effect. Empires grasp with shockwave totem. 4 shockwave totems. THERE IS NO ESCAPE! :getin:

Bugsy posted:

You also get 32% cast speed with 4 totems out from Pursuit of Faith so that should help out with the less damage per totem thing. Thats a lot of cast speed.

It says "With an active totem" not "per active totem". I don't think it stacks.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Most likely with a shield but hopefully not Grace. Trying to come up with a trapper build that actually has defences for ascendency. It'll be non-crit and not sure on whether it'll be MoM (with or without auras) or Blood Magic yet but I want to try to run that Clear Mind jewel

If you can work two of the +60% shield defenses nodes in to your build (Deflection and Precise Interception are decent choices and give you a bit more to boot), you should be close to even with a build running Grace. Take Revenge of the Hunted and Survivalist, and with okay evasion gear and a couple more ev nodes or a lot of dex where you can find them you can even out your speed. Good gear will give you a speed boost. Running grace on top of that would give you like +20-30% move speed.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bluemillion posted:

Skills from your gloves have 20% increased area of effect. Empires grasp with shockwave totem. 4 shockwave totems. THERE IS NO ESCAPE! :getin:

It says "With an active totem" not "per active totem". I don't think it stacks.

You are right I misread that. 8% is worth at least two normal tree nodes so its pretty good still.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So what are peoples gotos for races these days? Still fire trap bootstrapping?

I'd like to target that 100 point Whispering Ice, which totally seems doable without too much time investment (15 races or so at 7 points a race)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm trying the flicker build that was posted a page or 2 back. At what point does it become viable to use flicker as a main skill? Doing one attack then waiting 2s sucks so hard.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Lungboy posted:

I'm trying the flicker build that was posted a page or 2 back. At what point does it become viable to use flicker as a main skill? Doing one attack then waiting 2s sucks so hard.

That problem is resolved by generating frenzy charges.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
You need consistent frenzy charge generation. Assassin's mark, blood dance, blood rage, etc are generally used for regular flicker. Oro's if you go for the charges on ignite variant but oro's is like, level 67.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Well, RIP level 84 tank char. Another new experience I had no clue about. Saw Zana for the first time, went into her mission. Got to boss area, boss put down a bunch of totems, lightning beam came out, full HP to dead in under 3 seconds, and that included me emptying my instant HP flask. No idea what encounter this actually was, it was the prison tileset and the boss looked like one of the miscreations. 6k HP, 50k armor, resistances capped, meant nothing.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Xequecal posted:

Well, RIP level 84 tank char. Another new experience I had no clue about. Saw Zana for the first time, went into her mission. Got to boss area, boss put down a bunch of totems, lightning beam came out, full HP to dead in under 3 seconds, and that included me emptying my instant HP flask. No idea what encounter this actually was, it was the prison tileset and the boss looked like one of the miscreations. 6k HP, 50k armor, resistances capped, meant nothing.

Welcome to Torture Chamber.

That beam will destroy just about any character, you have to use the pillars in the room to run away and hide and then attack the boss before it does it again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You need consistent frenzy charge generation. Assassin's mark, blood dance, blood rage, etc are generally used for regular flicker. Oro's if you go for the charges on ignite variant but oro's is like, level 67.

I have an Oros and Daressos chest waiting for me from a mate, I just need to get to them without killing myself first.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Berserker seems really lame. I don't want to be getting hit for more than 20% of maximum life at all ever, and if it happens I certainly don't want it to be a regular occurrence. The other 2 classes seem pretty cool though.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Ah. You probably don't want to level as flicker if you're waiting on Oro's for your charge generation. I think people run molten strike or flame totem till they get their oro's going. Or you might be able to run blood rage and assassin's mark but I don't know if you'd do enough damage to maintain it considering you're likely sinking points into fire damage and not phys.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I'm slowly putting together a spectral throw hero, it's fun.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

That new Ranger class is sort of totally loving crazy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Blood rage and blasphemy+poachers mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Another question: Since it's possible for The Whispering Ice to drop way before monsters are level 50, if you get like an ilvl40 Whispering Ice, does that mean you can never 6 socket it? Because normally items below 50 can't get 6 sockets, I'm not sure about using jeweler's orbs on them.

• Locked thread