Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Truga posted:

It is what it is. Healer quests can all be done by just sitting there and clicking on an NPC every now and then and hitting physick. It's definitely easier to do that than actually throw a dot on everything and spam ruin/broil, and then only heal when it's needed while also not run out of MP.

At least the quests after 40 should require some DPS, IMO. Maybe make it so you run out of MP before the enemy dies if you don't also throw dots+bane out.

Hopefully, the training hall thing will fix that.

"Easier" if you are fine with every instance fight taking half an hour, maybe? The issue is that by DPSing you make the fight a lot faster, while also having the same 0% chance of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There isn't any maintenance today, is there? I'm planning to resub and today would be a good day for it, but I'd hate to drop cash down only to get locked out or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kafziel posted:

"Easier" if you are fine with every instance fight taking half an hour, maybe? The issue is that by DPSing you make the fight a lot faster, while also having the same 0% chance of failure.

Easier as in less buttons to press. Never said it was the smart thing to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There isn't any maintenance today, is there? I'm planning to resub and today would be a good day for it, but I'd hate to drop cash down only to get locked out or something.

None scheduled that I know of unless there is some sort of emergency maintenance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't have much faith that the training hall is going to teach healers to dps. If anything, it will be something like "You're a healer, so when you're in a party you should be healing ALL THE TIME! Heal this training dummy to full."

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Every pull you should medica 2 all party members. Because reasons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's been a long time since it was the first job I did in Heavensward but I recall that the WHM job quests were all mainly focused on healing your NPCs (and taint cleaning, of course) and not so much on doing DPS. But when I'm playing SCH, and I'm the top DPS, and the other healer doesn't even bother to cast a single aero and sits at 0 DPS and has slightly higher HPS than me, well... it kind of sucks.

The other issue with Void Ark that I've found that is with 24 players and 1 enemy, the maximum amount of debuffs that can be applied to enemies is capped so you see some bad mechanics from certain players to try and fix that. There were 6 summoners overall in my last party, and fester only does damage if your DoTs are applied. So I'd see a bunch of SMNs immediately use Tri-disaster after an Echidna jump phase despite not being in Dreadwyrm Trance.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I know some of the CNJ quests are you soloing an enemy, so you kinda have to DPS it. I don't know if any of them involve you DPSing in a group, though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

It Came From GameFAQs posted:

Bingo. This is the exact reason I left this game and won't return. Also only responding because it was on the front page.

Despite HW story looking so neat, I just won't put up with a design team with no understanding of the social meta-game of an MMO when making design decisions. As a healer, I have always enjoyed pure healing, and being pushed to the ceiling of my ability with healing. Other games offer hybrid classes if you want, but also pure classes. It's clear this isn't intentional in 14's design, because of quotes like Yoshi P saying HW wasn't going to be designed with healer dps in mind.

Again, a clear lack of understanding of the social meta surrounding an MMO. It's such an easy fix too. But we've seen this time before in stuff like the hunt fiascos when World of Darkness came out. A clear lack of understanding of social meta versus intended design of gearing up.

I would come back to this game if I was allowed to play a healer, not a hybrid, but nope. Just nix mana regen to make healing actually important for healing classes, increase the CD on cleric stance in raids, make raid damage less predictable, decrease pure healer accuracy to force mana to be spent on heals as oppose to accuracy bonuses for hybrids... there are so many ways to create an environment for pure healers.

But this is NOT the game to play if you want to be a healer. If you want to be a dps that also heals, then have at this game. Otherwise there are other MMOs to play if you want to be a healer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vOv posted:

I know some of the CNJ quests are you soloing an enemy, so you kinda have to DPS it. I don't know if any of them involve you DPSing in a group, though.

The 15 quest has you potentially fighting a group, but you're effectively invincible because the NPC heals you.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Yeah Yoshi-p doesn't get the social meta of afk healers and brain dead tank. WTF SE!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The real pros balance healing, DPS and bullshitting in FC chat.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Going off of reading just this thread for info on the game, I was under the impression, when I ran dungeons as Conjurer, that I was expected to be switching into and out of Cleric Stance depending on the situation. If the tank was healthy and no one was really being hurt, tossing some Aeros and Stones out was a good idea. It was fun to move between the two roles and try to be as seamless as possible about it.

I didn't think there was any controversy about healers tossing DPS out until I saw this 200+ reply thread where people argue about the "right for pure healers to exist".

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 28, 2016

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I think my favourite variant of that complaint is the claim that healer DPS doesn't significantly speed up a run, as if 25% of the party's total DPS is just a minor drop in the bucket.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Saigyouji posted:

I think my favourite variant of that complaint is the claim that healer DPS doesn't significantly speed up a run, as if 25% of the party's total DPS is just a minor drop in the bucket.

I have experience that this is not true, any party where as the healer I have to concentrate on heals because of a bad tank (improper positioning, poor cooldown use, etc) always takes at least ten minutes longer than with a tank where I can get in some dots and maybe a stone 3/broil or two per encounter.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

I have experience that this is not true, any party where as the healer I have to concentrate on heals because of a bad tank (improper positioning, poor cooldown use, etc) always takes at least ten minutes longer than with a tank where I can get in some dots and maybe a stone 3/broil or two per encounter.

I ran a Pharos hard last night where the healer would push 1.4k during big AoE pulls. It was pretty amazing.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I'm just waiting for the miraculous day where a bard actually plays Foe's for me. The last time I remember that happening was back in... 2.4?, in Lost City, and the PLD told him to stop because we didn't have any magic DPS.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
If you're not pressing something every GCD you're playing badly

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's why I keep /mdance on my hotbar.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

seiferguy posted:

The other issue with Void Ark that I've found that is with 24 players and 1 enemy, the maximum amount of debuffs that can be applied to enemies is capped so you see some bad mechanics from certain players to try and fix that. There were 6 summoners overall in my last party, and fester only does damage if your DoTs are applied. So I'd see a bunch of SMNs immediately use Tri-disaster after an Echidna jump phase despite not being in Dreadwyrm Trance.

IIRC all debuffs still apply to the target, but after so many are in effect at once the client UI is unable to show them all. I might be wrong here but those Festers should still work just fine as long as they are used shortly after the DoTs were cast.

If the game does actually cull debuffs after like 30 or so then don't mind me (but that'd really just be unnecessarily punishing to arcanist jobs).

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
I think some healers are just walking OCD "gotta get everyone to 100% always" with no regard to thinking about healing potency vs incoming damage over time. For example, there is no need to even heal the tank until at least after the initial AOE circles have gone off in Thordan EX; they don't take enough damage to die. Presence of Mind, dots, throw stones, AOE circles appear, pop out of cleric, tetra MT and throw asylum on their tanking spot while moving, back to cleric, assize, dots, throw stones, pop out of cleric, medica 2 for right after lightning hits, etc.

Just sitting there waiting for un-predictable damage and reacting to it sounds like a lovely, boring simon says. At least with the way FFXIV is laid out healers can work out the most optimal way to ensure no one dies while weaving in as much DPS as possible.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

I'm just waiting for the miraculous day where a bard actually plays Foe's for me. The last time I remember that happening was back in... 2.4?, in Lost City, and the PLD told him to stop because we didn't have any magic DPS.

Doesn't foe's also boost the BRD's own dots/flaming arrow?

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Also as a WHM more battle voiced foes please tia

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
As a Bard main, I feel wrong if I ever have max MP during 4 man content.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brony Hunter posted:

As a Bard main, I feel wrong if I ever have max MP during 4 man content.

When I'm a warrior I loving love it when the bard has the presence of mind to start up paeon right before a pull ends and keep it up until they start DPSing again.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How exactly does Aetherial Manipulation work? Does it move you to all the spots in between you and the target, or does it just teleport you?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mymla posted:

Doesn't foe's also boost the BRD's own dots/flaming arrow?
is this 2013

cure can't crit

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

I ran a Pharos hard last night where the healer would push 1.4k during big AoE pulls. It was pretty amazing.

Bane has been absolutely hilarious since 3.0 IMO. I just start cackling when I dump all those dots onto 10 targets. I think only BLM and SMN are better aoe damage now, a complete reversal from 2.x when playing SCH could get pretty bad on more than 4 targets.

Holy is a bit less damage than it was, but still quite powerful, and WHM also got aero 3 now, so they're definitely still up there. I have no idea how AST fares though. Is Gravity their only AoE option?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ilifinicus posted:

is this 2013

cure can't crit

Ran a dungeon the other day where the SCH was healing me with Cure. When asked, he said it felt stronger than Physic.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

vOv posted:

How exactly does Aetherial Manipulation work? Does it move you to all the spots in between you and the target, or does it just teleport you?

All movement skills, to my knowledge, move you all the spaces between you and the target. Even the ninja teleport. There is some weirdness like in T10 when you teleport past guys onto a teleporter it triggers the teleporter first before it triggers the aggro but I dunno the netcode in this game is mysterious.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Truga posted:

I have no idea how AST fares though. Is Gravity their only AoE option?

Well, they can CC Blizz 2, but that would be kinda pointless, so.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

is this 2013

cure can't crit

Yes, it's unreasonable to believe that abilities whose tooltip say they do "wind damage" do more damage to targets afflicted by a debuff which increases magical damage taken.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mymla posted:

Yes, it's unreasonable to believe that abilities whose tooltip say they do "wind damage" do more damage to targets afflicted by a debuff which increases magical damage taken.

It is when it's physical wind damage.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
To be fair, the game does not communicate healers should dps very well. I mean it's not suprising to me coming from heavy pvp in other mmos where I would be supporting and triage but Jonny pubbie hasn't been told this. Had a tank last night actively complaining that I was letting him dip to 60% ish and aoe dotting on my scholar and to "get back" at me I guess popped sprint and didn't stop running until he died. There's a cool down I didn't mind eating.

In better "this game has a better community" note had a first time tank in sastacha leveling roulette last night. Poor gladiator who would body pull and single target auto attack. Summoner and I try to help him out with [flash][can I have it?] and the like. After a few pulls he started flashing and we made it through with minimal Eos tanking.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Saigyouji posted:

Well, they can CC Blizz 2, but that would be kinda pointless, so.

Well, gravity has great potency. My problem with AST is, SCH can spread the dots and then spam adlo/physick on tank until they're full and repeat. Holy stuns poo poo for like 12 seconds if you spam it. Both things help with making the tank not dead from the 10 dungeon mobs standing around them while you're doing the DPS thing.

AST doesn't seem to have such an option.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The entire CNJ storyline is about how dumb it is to be a healer and only heal, but far be it for people to pay attention

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mymla posted:

weaponskills do not do magic damage, they do (un)aspected physical damage

spells do (un)aspected magic damage

abilities do unaspected fart damage

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

weaponskills do not do magic damage, they do (un)aspected physical damage

spells do (un)aspected magic damage

abilities do unaspected fart damage

The game explains these things at great length.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mymla posted:

The game explains these things at great length.
Yes, it does! You are correct! Except, localization is butts!!

Let's look at what Windbite says in Japanese!

ウィンドバイト: 対象に風属性物理攻撃 - "Windbite: Deal wind-aspected physical damage to target" (lit. translation: "to target, wind attribute physical attack")

Let's look at what Fire says in Japanese!

ファイア: 対象に火属性魔法攻撃 - "Fire: Deal fire-aspected magical damage to target (lit. translation: "to target, fire attribute magic attack")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
who cares

• Locked thread