Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kai Tave posted:

That would have helped so much earlier, not gonna lie. poo poo, I've been wondering what a good strat with rat ogres is, now I know...chug a potion and chuck some bombs.

Strength potions + ranged (some weapons) is also a very good strategy for Roger. Mainly for weapons where you can fire throughout the entire duration of the potion (brace of pistols, hagbane/hunting bow, drakefire pistols, most wizard staves). Weapons where reloading is required are best saved for picking of specials when fighting Roger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Definitely don't shoot roger with a handgun. Save that for the pile of specials that will inevitably appear at inopportune times while you're fighting.

Also here's the regular thread PSA for new players that blocking and shoving work 360 degrees around you.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
And sticking together. Going it alone might work once or twice, or you see some loner get retarded lu ky and you think its ok.

Its not. Always stick together.

Shoutouts to unhygenixx and Unholy Power for showing me the ways of vermintide. These guys always stick together and always found a room or similar safe haven to fight hordes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/235540/announcements/detail/698424298257410196

quote:

Today we are happy to announce our next DLC, set to be released at the end of February.

In this DLC, we are introducing the new game mode Last Stand, where the heroes will battle wave upon wave of Skaven until they finally fall. Both the map and the gamemode will be FREE!

On top of that, we are releasing another map with a mouthful of a name – Schluesselschloss. This awesome new map is set outside of Ubersreik, on top of a roaring waterfall amidst the Grey Mountains. This will be our first paid DLC, but since we don’t want to split up the community you will be able to play the game if your join someone who owns it.

How long do you think you will survive the Last Stand?

Picture of schluesselschloss through the link.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Shuka posted:

And sticking together. Going it alone might work once or twice, or you see some loner get retarded lu ky and you think its ok.

Its not. Always stick together.

More importantly than sticking together is to be actively aware and concerned about the health of your teammates. You don't always get to fight the enemy on your terms, but a team that really watches each others back will do much better than 4 people thinking "gently caress you, got mine".

Digirat posted:

Picture of schluesselschloss through the link.

Here's hoping the map ends with an escape via said waterfall.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Sweeeet. That's awesome that it's free survival and a map for me to buy to host. I thought they might be one and the same.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

Sky vs Evil 25 minutes ago
The fact you still have to pay to be able to host this and get whatever else it offers is a slap in the face after the hot mess you guys initially released. I hope this won't turn into some Overkill Payday2 bullshit. You Swedes are apparently good at that.

quote:

JACOUILLE LA FRIPOUILLE 30 minutes ago
DLC released in a month ? Enjoy your dead game

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am really looking forward to a neat new mission.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Half of steam forever and ever
I want years of support and content for free because I don't understand people need money to eat and I'm a whiny loving pissbaby.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

xthetenth posted:

Half of steam forever and ever
I want years of support and content for free because I don't understand people need money to eat and I'm a whiny loving pissbaby.

Don't sign my posts.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Skandranon posted:

Here's hoping the map ends with an escape via said waterfall.

Everyone has to hide in a barrel and get the rats to push them into the trap door.

The dwarf's barrel is full of Bugman's.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Someone needs to create a convenient source for me to know where all the tomes and grimoires are on each map that does not involve me memorizing the locations or looking at little YouTube clips frantically while the map loads (as it is never enough time).

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
I am as anti-social and uncommunicative as they come, but still managed to acquire knowledge of (most) hiding spots just by watching my teammates.

Be like me, if you don't want to talk to anyone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Someone needs to create a convenient source for me to know where all the tomes and grimoires are on each map that does not involve me memorizing the locations or looking at little YouTube clips frantically while the map loads (as it is never enough time).

Hi, play with me.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
It always stumps me a bit when I go "Alright the tome is right here" and everyone else tells me "What tome?". I feel like an old geezer who has had things switched up on him and I keep on going "WELL BACK IN MY DAY".

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I felt like Last Stand/Survival mode was really boring in L4D, so I don't know what will make it less so here. Maybe the map will be pretty, though!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
what the ever loving gently caress just happened to the forums

also it'll be more fun because it involves smashing rats instead of shooting zombies

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That was a fun minute.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
that was some weird poo poo

(for anyone that missed it, the forums were word filtering spaces into "USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST")

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Geight posted:

I felt like Last Stand/Survival mode was really boring in L4D, so I don't know what will make it less so here. Maybe the map will be pretty, though!

If nothing else, I think it'd be great practice for getting super amazing at minimizing incoming damage, which is extremely useful in regular maps.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hopefully Last Stand mode will still only get you one item roll per game so it will drive away all the speedrunning tryhards that join in, run 500 meters ahead of the team, pick up a grimoire, and then die horribly while complaining loudly about how everyone else is noobs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mzbundifund posted:

Hopefully Last Stand mode will still only get you one item roll per game so it will drive away all the speedrunning tryhards that join in, run 500 meters ahead of the team, pick up a grimoire, and then die horribly while complaining loudly about how everyone else is noobs.

gaming_with_strangers.txt

Though I've played a few pubbie matches so far where people weren't complete idiots or dicks, but that could just be luck.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So Kai was asking for class guides a few minutes ago. I can't speak for all classes; I've pretty much exclusively played the Witch Hunter when I'm not being forced to play the Bright Witch.

The Witch Hunter is a cool dude who seems like a real jerk but actually has a heart of gold and may even be the closest thing the party has to a cohesive nucleus, being as how two of the other characters' stories revolve around him.

His role seems to be something akin to a front line skirmisher, though of course strengths will vary based on weapon loadout. He does best when paired with a front-line defender (like Kruber), darting in and out of the front line (or more often approaching it from the side) to rack of kills. I find he can make a decent rearguard with the proper weapons though ideally you want a ranged weapon with a lot of bullets to pick off pursuing rats. He is also very good for killing Stormvermin; often the harder-hitting gun-havers like Kruber should save their ammo for thinks like Packmasters or Globediers, leaving Saltzpyre to casually murder all the armored rats.

The Rapier is a good and cool weapon but I think it might have been a mistake to make it his signature, default weapon. Don't forget to rebind your super secret alt fire button; the rapier comes with 16 bullets located in an off-hand pistol the game never really tells you about it. I couldn't make this weapon work when I first started playing and only recently returned to it since understanding the game's core mechanics. You can block and move at almost full speed, the paired pistol works great for saving nearby teammates from sneaky clanrats, and it can basically stun-lock small groups of clan rats. Oh and the inherent armor-pierce makes this great for killing Stormvermin, something a lot of Saltzpyre's weapons have in common. Experiment with it but don't get frustrated if it doesn't work for you; it lacks oomph and requires patience to kill rats with. Dance and block for maximum effectiveness. (You do know how to dodge/dash, right?)

The Hand-Axe is a very good weapon and is a nice compromise if you're having a hard time with the rapier. It's not quiet as fast when blocking and does a little bit more damage than the rapier. This is nice fast weapon to compliment Victor's playstyle. Not much else to say about it. Solid workhorse weapon.

The Two-Handed Sword is good, but could just as easily be on any other character. I'll usually take one of these if nobody else on my team is sporting any kind of AoE. The ability to cut down multiple clan rats in one blow is amazing and possibly even necessary on most maps. You can't really run+block with this weapon and it's slow speed means you need to rely on team mates to create openings for you to really utilize it well. It is incredibly metal to use and these are some of the coolest looking swords in the game though.

The Brace of Pistols is awesome. They are incredibly fast to use and compliment a lot of rare weapon traits. Extra ammo, pierce, multi-shot - you name it, it all works well with the nearly endless ammo supply of the Brace. You can use this for anything; thinning hordes, saving team-mates, guarding the rear, or even (with a strength potion) as one of the few viable ranged options against Roger. It does not excel at picking off specials at long range (you really want a Soldier or Ranger for that) but you'll be too busy laughing all the way to the bullet-bank to care. It doesn't one-shot everything though so just be aware it's most effective against individual clanrats and slaves as opposed to Stormvermin - though it can kill the black rats just fine, it can take a few shots.

The Repeater Pistol is hot garbage. It belongs in the trash.

The Crossbow is... it's okay, I guess. It's not as good for sniping as the Soldier/Ranger guns but it does pack a good punch, and the ability to pierce multiple rats as a core weapon trait is pretty solid. The reason why I can't really recommend it so much is that it doesn't really compliment Victor's playstyle very well. Instead of dancing in and out of danger you're carefully lining up a shot on a distant Globedier. If you're a good sniper in other games this might work for you but just keep in mind in the 8 seconds it takes to line up a shot I'm sure a clanrat has moved directly into colon stabbing position and you should probably be aware of that.

Other opinions welcome!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The crossbow is the true weapon of all brave servants of Sigmar, hth.

Okay it's more that I tend to not like swapping a ton between ranged and melee so I prefer ranged weapons with a clearly delineated role (kill those loving stormvermin/specials) over generalist stuff like the pistols. Whenever I use them I tend to find myself out of ammo at inconvenient moments, compared to my trusty crossbow. But then, I also use a crossbow in preference to a handgun on the dorf, so maybe I just have a thing for sniper-railguns.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Mendrian posted:

The Hand-Axe is a very good weapon and is a nice compromise if you're having a hard time with the rapier. It's not quiet as fast when blocking and does a little bit more damage than the rapier. This is nice fast weapon to compliment Victor's playstyle. Not much else to say about it. Solid workhorse weapon.

One thing I think should be mentioned is that the axe doesn't do any aoe damage whatsoever. It hits one rat and one rat only. It does somewhat make up for it in that it attacks very quickly and does a lot of damage but I found it a pain to use. Groups of rats will basically guarantee you take some damage as you just can't kill them fast enough and have to depend on blocking, pushing and dodging while your teammates actually kill or stagger the rats. I think on nightmare an orange axe won't even oneshot rats on body hits anymore so it becomes much less useful.

I'm a huge fan of the rapier and brace of pistols combo. I also rerolled my orange pistols to get 30% more ammo, less spread and penetration so I'm basically never using anything else.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The crossbow is the true weapon of all brave servants of Sigmar, hth.

Okay it's more that I tend to not like swapping a ton between ranged and melee so I prefer ranged weapons with a clearly delineated role (kill those loving stormvermin/specials) over generalist stuff like the pistols. Whenever I use them I tend to find myself out of ammo at inconvenient moments, compared to my trusty crossbow. But then, I also use a crossbow in preference to a handgun on the dorf, so maybe I just have a thing for sniper-railguns.

Yeah agreed. I tend to switch and move a lot like a twitchy meth addict.

Incidentally "designated sniper" works best on well coordinated teams. With friend and goons it takes pressure off the front liners. With pubs it's a liability both for you the sniper and for them because they have no idea why you aren't helping with the swarm you jerk.

With friends though I love special killer guy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mendrian posted:

So Kai was asking for class guides a few minutes ago. I can't speak for all classes; I've pretty much exclusively played the Witch Hunter when I'm not being forced to play the Bright Witch.

I agree with all this stuff.

I generally prefer the Brace of Pistols for the reasons you mentioned, but the crossbow is valuable in some situations. If you have a team with short-range ammo-hungry weapons like Kruber's Repeater Rifle or Bardin's Grudge-Rakers, your team will really appreciate the long-range special sniping power the crossbow brings, and you'll basically never run out of ammo so you can leave the small ammo pickups for your buddies while you will have no trouble just picking from the infinite ammo chests. In this case you can leave your buddies to watch the rear using their rapid-fire guns to blast away pursuing small rats without slowing the party down, while you keep eyes on the front and snipe stormvermin guarding objectives. Sure the dwarf and soldier's Handgun is better for sniping, but sometimes you'll end up in a party where nobody got lucky enough to have a good handgun drop for them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Rapier is easily my favorite weapon in the entire game, though. Because I never run into a situation where I'm like 'Man, I wish I didn't have a rapier right now and had something else'. Roger? Rapier charge spam does good DPS. Stormvermin? Fence that fucker. Shitload Of Rats? Dance around twirling the thing like I'm on elf coke. Good reach, high speed, and versatility more than make up for the lower per-hit damage.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
one fun moment i had with this game was with the rapier. i went off on my own on a side path to check for supplies while the pubs i was with ran off without me. a stormvermin then appeared around a corner, solo, and i had a little duel off on my own with only my sword.

by the time the pubs showed up, they just gazed upon, in their pubbie minds, an impossible scene: rat was dead, and i was unscathed.

"nice", said one.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The pinnacle of Vermintide for me was when the party aggroed a Stormvermin patrol in Wizard's Tower near the exit of the big room that holds the first tome, and they all died in about 10 seconds. I was using the Bolt staff at the time and headshotted every single one of them without taking a hit, then rescued the rest of the party (they were down long enough that they got captured). It was only on Hard, though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I am as anti-social and uncommunicative as they come, but still managed to acquire knowledge of (most) hiding spots just by watching my teammates.

Be like me, if you don't want to talk to anyone.

This would result me to not have the memory of a gnat, and to also have any idea of what my teammates are doing. Generally speaking, it looks like a bunch of cats with their tails on fire running around randomly to me when I play.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mendrian posted:

The Witch Hunter is a cool dude who seems like a real jerk but actually has a heart of gold and may even be the closest thing the party has to a cohesive nucleus, being as how two of the other characters' stories revolve around him.

His role seems to be something akin to a front line skirmisher, though of course strengths will vary based on weapon loadout. He does best when paired with a front-line defender (like Kruber), darting in and out of the front line (or more often approaching it from the side) to rack of kills. I find he can make a decent rearguard with the proper weapons though ideally you want a ranged weapon with a lot of bullets to pick off pursuing rats. He is also very good for killing Stormvermin; often the harder-hitting gun-havers like Kruber should save their ammo for thinks like Packmasters or Globediers, leaving Saltzpyre to casually murder all the armored rats.

The Rapier is a good and cool weapon but I think it might have been a mistake to make it his signature, default weapon. Don't forget to rebind your super secret alt fire button; the rapier comes with 16 bullets located in an off-hand pistol the game never really tells you about it. I couldn't make this weapon work when I first started playing and only recently returned to it since understanding the game's core mechanics. You can block and move at almost full speed, the paired pistol works great for saving nearby teammates from sneaky clanrats, and it can basically stun-lock small groups of clan rats. Oh and the inherent armor-pierce makes this great for killing Stormvermin, something a lot of Saltzpyre's weapons have in common. Experiment with it but don't get frustrated if it doesn't work for you; it lacks oomph and requires patience to kill rats with. Dance and block for maximum effectiveness. (You do know how to dodge/dash, right?)

The Two-Handed Sword is good, but could just as easily be on any other character. I'll usually take one of these if nobody else on my team is sporting any kind of AoE. The ability to cut down multiple clan rats in one blow is amazing and possibly even necessary on most maps. You can't really run+block with this weapon and it's slow speed means you need to rely on team mates to create openings for you to really utilize it well. It is incredibly metal to use and these are some of the coolest looking swords in the game though.

The Brace of Pistols is awesome. They are incredibly fast to use and compliment a lot of rare weapon traits. Extra ammo, pierce, multi-shot - you name it, it all works well with the nearly endless ammo supply of the Brace. You can use this for anything; thinning hordes, saving team-mates, guarding the rear, or even (with a strength potion) as one of the few viable ranged options against Roger. It does not excel at picking off specials at long range (you really want a Soldier or Ranger for that) but you'll be too busy laughing all the way to the bullet-bank to care. It doesn't one-shot everything though so just be aware it's most effective against individual clanrats and slaves as opposed to Stormvermin - though it can kill the black rats just fine, it can take a few shots.

The Repeater Pistol is hot garbage. It belongs in the trash.

The Crossbow is... it's okay, I guess. It's not as good for sniping as the Soldier/Ranger guns but it does pack a good punch, and the ability to pierce multiple rats as a core weapon trait is pretty solid. The reason why I can't really recommend it so much is that it doesn't really compliment Victor's playstyle very well. Instead of dancing in and out of danger you're carefully lining up a shot on a distant Globedier. If you're a good sniper in other games this might work for you but just keep in mind in the 8 seconds it takes to line up a shot I'm sure a clanrat has moved directly into colon stabbing position and you should probably be aware of that.

Other opinions welcome!

I love the hell out of the Two-Handed Sword charge attack. It's just so satisfying to see that giant hunk of metal swing across my screen and kill half a dozen rats

It also helps that it was the first Orange weapon I ever got

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

This would result me to not have the memory of a gnat, and to also have any idea of what my teammates are doing. Generally speaking, it looks like a bunch of cats with their tails on fire running around randomly to me when I play.

If you're having problems following what's happening moment-to-moment, I urge you to focus on that rather than memorizing tome/grim locations. The former will be much more helpful in being a good team player. Really, only one person per team needs to know the item locations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

one fun moment i had with this game was with the rapier. i went off on my own on a side path to check for supplies while the pubs i was with ran off without me. a stormvermin then appeared around a corner, solo, and i had a little duel off on my own with only my sword.

by the time the pubs showed up, they just gazed upon, in their pubbie minds, an impossible scene: rat was dead, and i was unscathed.

"nice", said one.

Same but a stormvermin patrol wiped my team instantly on nightmare and I killed them all plus two gunners.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So is Hard not that hard then? I'm up to level...12 I think from just loving around on normal, but I haven't really practiced a bunch of maps yet, I've played the Horn of Magnus the most, Wizards Tower, the daylight grain haul, and Supply and Demand which I've yet to win. What's a good time to move on up, since I'd like to start getting some better gear?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

So is Hard not that hard then? I'm up to level...12 I think from just loving around on normal, but I haven't really practiced a bunch of maps yet, I've played the Horn of Magnus the most, Wizards Tower, the daylight grain haul, and Supply and Demand which I've yet to win. What's a good time to move on up, since I'd like to start getting some better gear?

Do you feel like you can breeze through most Hard maps? If so, try Nightmare, remembering to be careful with ranged attacks since they do friendly fire (not much, although bombs and anything that does DoT hurt like hell).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hard is the level where you start needing to learn to not get smacked because damage goes up significantly. It's sort of the middle difficulty and probably where I have the most fun playing the game.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
anyone else think the mace on Sienna is kinda poo poo? cause i have a hard time killing poo poo with it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

anyone else think the mace on Sienna is kinda poo poo? cause i have a hard time killing poo poo with it.

I actually just used the mace for a couple of games since I rolled a green with extra stamina. It's...okay, I like it better than her default sword, but that's a low bar to clear. It's got no AOE at all, but the charge attack comes with high damage and armor piercing which meant I was able to use it to beat Stormvermin to death in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

The mace is not great, no. This is the general Goon Opinion.

Go for the big ol' sword if you want to follow up your AoE with sword-based murder. Go with the flaming sword if you want to double down on your role of 'setting rats on fire.' Take the mace if you want to eat poo poo.

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly?I don't notice the difference half the time. You get less forgiveness in terms of HP, for sure. If you find you mostly get killed due to being overwhelmed or terrible special spawns you will not notice the difference at all. If you find most of your deaths come from gradual attrition, Hard will probably be significantly more difficult and you need to practice mitigating damage.

Nightmare is where the game starts getting really hard because of the added wrinkle of friendly fire. Your team's skill is very important at this level.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread