Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Fuzz posted:

Play hyper aggressively with stealth and get the wallhack eyes for later on, would be my suggestion. Murdering poo poo from afar before it can fight back would be a good way to minimize risk.

Also max the bulletproofing aug ASAP, always wear a vest (assuming you're playing a mod where they only degrade through damage), and kill every sniper you see with the GEP gun when they're not looking in your direction. I can't offer specific damage numbers because I forget what mods I was playing with when I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Thanks, good advice. I got in some time over the weekend and have gotten to the airfield twice and both times gotten killed by a robot sneaking up on me. The second time was particularly upsetting. I guess I need to be much more careful in that section. I think I'll get through it next time; the issue has just been that up through that section in the game robots are obvious and organics are plainly audible (footsteps) so being snuck up in isn't really an issue. Robots tend to be pretty quiet. I'm still having fun though; I would say deux ex is a good to very good ironman game (although no one seems to play it that way, even on lower difficulty levels).

Anyhow, the build I've been using and going for (no mods, except graphics) is similar. Start with advanced in rifle and use GEP + sniper + assault rifle when available + stealth pistol. The stealth pistol with laser sight is an excellent weapon, as are the aforementioned rifles + the GEP. Put accuracy mods into the sniper rifle to get it to 100% accuracy as soon as possible at advanced skill level.

I think the game will get materially safer when I have balistics aug and then again with regen aug. I am not playing with any mods that change the balistics vest, so unfortunately those aren't a workable solution to sudden danger (although turning on balistic aug will be). I am planning on mastering environmental for the armor benefits, although I don't know whether this will turn out to be a good strategy. Other augs I'm planning on are vision, cloak, energy shield, recirculation and ADS. Radar transparency is tempting but I think cloak will probably be better and balistics is a must.

Storeywise, I'm planning on kill-switching Anna, fighting gunther without kill-switch, and saving paul (I'll probably just watch a youtube video on where to place lams to get through that last one safely, as long as it doesn't seem to metagamey).

Anyhow, some things I've learned:

- JC is basically made out of tinfoil on realistic, and a single pistol shot to the torso or head will kill him. For this reason, enemies with pistols are actually more dangerous than enemies with many "more advanced" weapons like the assault rifle as they will just instakill you on hit vs. giving you the chance to spam medkits

- Related, anyone with a pistol or rifle is a potential instakill of they fire at you without any armor. Nearly any armor will protect from pistol instakill; balistic aug 4 will protect from rifle instakill (by my math).

- enemy head hitboxes are buggy and hitting the side of the head frequently registers as a torso hit. One of by biggest irritations so far

- GEP is great but makes inventory management very challenging. What I wouldn't do for 5 more slots! I'm thinking in the next run I will save aug upgrade canisters, which will make it even worse. Reasoning is that I want to dump them all into balistics when I get it on lebedev's plane, which is at the end of the airfield

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Big Sean posted:

Storeywise, I'm planning on... saving paul (I'll probably just watch a youtube video on where to place lams to get through that last one safely, as long as it doesn't seem to metagamey).

You're going to die here anyway so you might as well just run out and die quick and save your ammo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You're going to lose your poo poo when you get one-shot by a guy with a sniper rifle in Paris.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Sounds like a good way to hate a game you love

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The one time I tried this, out of all the things that it could've possibly been, the one that ended up doing me in was... Smuggler's security bot. Truly the most humiliating way to end a run. So the best advice I can give you is to always be vigilant, no matter how unassuming your surroundings are. Also, you might consider taking one rank in demolition; it's very cheap and will reduce your chances of being blown up by a wall mounted LAM.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EngineerSean posted:

You're going to die here anyway so you might as well just run out and die quick and save your ammo.

You can surrender to Gunther in conversation if you make it through the subway iirc. Which if he's being a purist is the only way to save Paul and not "die".

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

You can surrender to Gunther in conversation if you make it through the subway iirc. Which if he's being a purist is the only way to save Paul and not "die".

Yes this is the plan. I'll have to watch some youtube videos on the precise mechanics but I assume thermocam armor is a good solution here.

Lork posted:

The one time I tried this, out of all the things that it could've possibly been, the one that ended up doing me in was... Smuggler's security bot. Truly the most humiliating way to end a run. So the best advice I can give you is to always be vigilant, no matter how unassuming your surroundings are. Also, you might consider taking one rank in demolition; it's very cheap and will reduce your chances of being blown up by a wall mounted LAM.

Don't you have to trip the blue lasers to activate it? Anyhow, yeah tough break but as JC is so low on hp even the lowliest mook can kill you if they catch you off guard... Relatedly, I can't decide if the early MJ12 sewer lab is worth the time/risk (I don't think it is) but I keep doing it anyway.

I do take one rank in demolition (although not at the start). I am fairly worried about LAMs and they go off extremely quickly (as I'm sure you know) with untrained skill level.

dud root posted:

Sounds like a good way to hate a game you love

For what it's worth, I totally disagree. Ironmanning is my excuse to revisit games I really like but wouldn't otherwise play again and have a fun new experience with them. It really forces you to play the game differently since you can't just quickload cheese past difficult parts. It's also a funny thing that single-player games are designed to make you think you are good at them (by patting you on the back when you inevitably win), but it's only when you try to get through with only one attempt that you realize what it actually takes to be good. Anyhow, obviously a very niche playstyle but it works for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I take it on Realistic Paul will actually get killed if he goes down to the lobby alone, instead of murdering everything in sight? If not... Just close his secret computer room and hide in the until he's killed everything.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I take it on Realistic Paul will actually get killed if he goes down to the lobby alone, instead of murdering everything in sight? If not... Just close his secret computer room and hide in the until he's killed everything.

Paul will never die in vanilla unless you go through the window, no matter the difficulty.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Big Sean posted:

Don't you have to trip the blue lasers to activate it? Anyhow, yeah tough break but as JC is so low on hp even the lowliest mook can kill you if they catch you off guard... Relatedly, I can't decide if the early MJ12 sewer lab is worth the time/risk (I don't think it is) but I keep doing it anyway.
Like I said, the most humiliating.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I guess for the 'Ton shootout/escape you might want to hang on to a thermoptic camo, I think there's one in Lebedev's airfield.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or just stay out of the 'Ton, bro.

Bad poo poo goin' down.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Or just stay out of the 'Ton, bro.

Bad poo poo goin' down.

Still not as good as "prolonged exposure can lead to inflames mucous membranes"

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Those things save lives.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
This sounds like an exciting project, it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
"Effective crowd control" what's that supposed to mean?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nachos posted:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

nachos posted:

On my most recent playthrough this trooper's smart arse comments about gas grenades inspired a masochistic urge in me to take my policy of being non lethal to NSF and UNATCO grunts to the extreme of pacifying every single one of them in the Hell's Kitchen shootout before anyone died. It sucked but I managed it.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

How is Deus Ex: Revision? I haven't played the game since 2011 or 2012 so I'm overdue for a replay. Anyone have fun with Revision?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Those things save lives.

Terrorist lives, you mean.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

kaempfer0080 posted:

How is Deus Ex: Revision? I haven't played the game since 2011 or 2012 so I'm overdue for a replay. Anyone have fun with Revision?
It's OK. It's kind of nice playing it again with altered levels, but a lot of the alterations are not very good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This doesn't say WP ROCKET. Fail.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butterfly Valley posted:

On my most recent playthrough this trooper's smart arse comments about gas grenades inspired a masochistic urge in me to take my policy of being non lethal to NSF and UNATCO grunts to the extreme of pacifying every single one of them in the Hell's Kitchen shootout before anyone died. It sucked but I managed it.

I've done this, glad to see I'm not alone.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Big Sean posted:

Soooo I'm tentatively trying to do a no-reload run through deus ex on realistic. I'm sure it is possible, given I see some random internet denizen posted about nearly completing it, but with one death. Any advice? I've no-reloaded a lot of games, and my general rule of thumb is its pretty manageable as long as I have a good panic button and I don't get yourself into trouble too often.

In the case of deus ex, I'm having trouble finding that panic button, as JC doesn't seem to have anything that can easily and accurately one-shot an aggressive enemy or immediately remove me from danger. And of course even a single lucky pistol bullet from the lowliest enemy can kill JC, so this has been an issue.

Some specific questions:

Does the flamethrower immediately disable enemies on hit?

Does cloak provide immediate safey against organics?

How much damage resistance (from vest or aug) does JC need to survive pistol or rifle bullets to the torso or head?

Are there other good options for escape / quick kills?

Anyhow, in a few hours of play I have gotten to the point where libery isle is pretty easy and I've nearly also completed battery park (accidentally triggered enemies and got killed in the subway). But getting deeper into the game seems relatively unpalatable unless JC can get significantly better at protecting himself...

Get into vents and dart motherfuckers. Just be careful around places with snipers and bots and stuff. Snipe snipers, LAM the bots.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Make easy selections- remember that you can for example just blow up the hostages and game goes on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You cannot let the Rentons die, though.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You cannot let the Rentons die, though.
What a shame

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Linguica posted:

What a shame
he was a good man, what a rotten way to die

but no seriously save them, they become useful later on

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

kaempfer0080 posted:

Revision goes overboard with 90 percent of its changes, and then some levels are identical to the originals. It also modifies enemy behavior and makes them hyper aware, meaning you can get one shotted the moment you walk into a room. Also, the music is all over the place. Some of them, like the first Hell's Kitchen theme, are REALLY GOOD. And then you get others that sound like super generic that smother the original melodies under layers of synth sounds.

Honestly I'd just recommend GMDX. It accomplishes everything Revision tried to do and more. Enhanced systems, fine tuning original aspects, and updating every single map but in very organic and interesting ways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seconding GMDX over Revision. Revision looks good in screenshots but I feel the majority of changes are for the worse. The levels were designed for maximum prettiness, with little regard to how they would play.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
GMDX is loving amazing.

I just wish someone would make consistently non-lovely models for ALL the characters to go with the higher res textures.

The graphics are literally the only thing that keeps DX feeling dated and makes it a hard sell to new (millennial) gamers.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzz posted:

The graphics are literally the only thing that keeps DX feeling dated and makes it a hard sell to new (millennial) gamers.
...And having to sit still for 5 minutes to actually shoot accurately until you upgrade your skills doesn't feel dated? I'm not saying it's a bad design decision, but it's definitely dated at this point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think better models would make the game that much better, really. The animations are still really stiff, so it would make the game look even more awkward.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've always wondered why people haven't imported the models from the PS2 port, which were better than the PC models but still old enough looking to not look too out of place with everything else. Maybe the file format is incompatible or people haven't extracted the files from the PS2 port?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Stuntman posted:

...And having to sit still for 5 minutes to actually shoot accurately until you upgrade your skills doesn't feel dated? I'm not saying it's a bad design decision, but it's definitely dated at this point.

No, it's a bad design decision. I will shill for Deus Ex until the end of time but I'm not defending the way firearm skills were handled.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I haven't tried the latest shifter/biomod, so maybe they already implement this, but could the time to reach full accuracy be decreased significantly? The mechanic doesn't suck, it just takes too drat long

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I never noticed any issues with firearms, because I'm too busy stealthin' and proddin'. I also don't see the big deal, it's an RPG. Train it a few times and you can use it better. Do people really just want Fallout 4 type RPGs that are really just FPS games with loot? FPSRPGs are like the rarest genre.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 28, 2016

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The point is that it's silly to let you be accurate by sitting still for like a whole minute. If you don't have the skill, just cap the accuracy and let the reticle come in as far as it will go within like 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Fuzz posted:

Millennials grew up with Minecraft, they'll be fine.