Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

There is just so much wrong with the judge system that its hilarious. The process to become one is too convoluted and rising through the ranks is too clique oriented. Slap the "too much work for too little pay" bow on that poo poo sandwich and there you have it.

The road to level 2 is incredibly dumb and tedious and once your there you realize that it wasn't worth it to begin with. I am amazed events get staffed at all. Its truly a hobby for the masochistic.

I don't think that the system to get in is TOO bad, but it's definitely showing signs of having grown from a smaller scale. But :agreed: on the rest, rising up is a mess, even for just L2, the pay isn't that great (I'd do it for free at my local joint, but they've had me around and the like for a decade or so, I think that giving a few hours of my time to them back isn't the worst thing), going to unfamiliar stores to Judge is a mess (why get you when we've been running Just Fine (TM) for all this time?), and if I ask someone to pick me, why me and not someone else?

Some clarification on the road to L2: The major reason why I wanna hit L2 is to be able to certify others to L1, for said store and others, so that we can have more events. To hit L2, one of the things I need to do is attend a certain number of GPTs/PPTQs. Without L1s and more L2s (remember: one L2 in all of my area), events are hard to hold. There's not many Judges to organize events to get more Judges... :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

There is just so much wrong with the judge system that its hilarious. The process to become one is too convoluted and rising through the ranks is too clique oriented. Slap the "too much work for too little pay" bow on that poo poo sandwich and there you have it.

The road to level 2 is incredibly dumb and tedious and once your there you realize that it wasn't worth it to begin with. I am amazed events get staffed at all. Its truly a hobby for the masochistic.

1 to 2 isn't so bad. People do it fast these days. It's just like going from 0 to 1, except you need like six months experience and a level 3 has to do it instead of a level 2. Basically as long as you're friendly with a level 3 and you've shown you want to judge more than an FNM, it is no problem. Getting to level 3 is really hard. You have to dedicate a lot of time to judging and the judge program, and then pass a hard test and an interview with high level judges.

Level 2 is the sweet spot for me. I don't think I could handle head judging a GP, and the benefits over level 1 are that I can judge GPs if I want, I can head judge PPTQs, team lead at large events, and basically players respect the rulings of non-level-1s a LOT more.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

my fav things about MTGO are when things break that were working perfectly fine before and don't really seem to have any reason to have broken

The best is when one printing of a card works but another one doesn't. :iiam:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My favorite bug is still when Mindslavering your opponent meant you couldn't put their triggers abilities on the stack.

Because it gave them the window but they can't click anything.

:thumbsup:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

My favorite bug is still when Mindslavering your opponent meant you couldn't put their triggers abilities on the stack.

Because it gave them the window but they can't click anything.

:thumbsup:

I lost quite a few games to that. Mindslaver Jund? Oh well too bad they have a Dark Confidant out. Soul Sisters? Better not play a creature into the board wipe you've got in your hand! That issue was there for a long time too. They finally fixed it shortly after they complained about it on the VSL because Rich Shay couldn't actually play NWCS.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

I lost quite a few games to that. Mindslaver Jund? Oh well too bad they have a Dark Confidant out. Soul Sisters? Better not play a creature into the board wipe you've got in your hand! That issue was there for a long time too. They finally fixed it shortly after they complained about it on the VSL because Rich Shay couldn't actually play NWCS.

THAT'S what prompted the fix?

What a loving joke.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

THAT'S what prompted the fix?

What a loving joke.

I don't know if that's what actually made them fix it, but it was like that for a few months and it got fixed shortly after that happened.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

1 to 2 isn't so bad. People do it fast these days. It's just like going from 0 to 1, except you need like six months experience and a level 3 has to do it instead of a level 2. Basically as long as you're friendly with a level 3 and you've shown you want to judge more than an FNM, it is no problem. Getting to level 3 is really hard. You have to dedicate a lot of time to judging and the judge program, and then pass a hard test and an interview with high level judges.

Level 2 is the sweet spot for me. I don't think I could handle head judging a GP, and the benefits over level 1 are that I can judge GPs if I want, I can head judge PPTQs, team lead at large events, and basically players respect the rulings of non-level-1s a LOT more.

It's definitely a sweet spot (CAN go to GPs and organize bigger stuff if you want, but don't need to take on a bunch more responsibility like L3s), but the 1 to 2 can be pretty annoying/boring at times, more so in a bad area. And the "as long as you're friendly with a L3" part isn't the most encouraging thing, since we're discussing how Judging can be a bit clique-y. I mean yeah you don't need to brown-nose (presumably), but it definitely is something to keep in mind, especially if travel is weird. I've only met an L3 once, at the Regional Conference, for example.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

Basically as long as you're friendly with a level 3

This seems like a major flaw in the system. Seems it could lead to FYGM and lead to it being harder for stores to run events. Hell, its already really hard for stores to run events now it seems like if the store owners I know are telling the truth.

I get the goal is to build a community and I agree that really looks great on paper but it should translate well into reality as well.

Serperoth posted:

going to unfamiliar stores to Judge is a mess (why get you when we've been running Just Fine (TM) for all this time?), and if I ask someone to pick me, why me and not someone else?

They should want the judges that run the smoothest events for their store and your goal should be to be one of those judges. I am not saying you are one of these types, but I feel like some judges want to limit the amount of judges so they can have a more of a monopoly on working events. IF level 3's and 2's can cherry pick new judges to be in their inner circle of friends then that isn't necessarily going to lead to better quality events for players.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Friendly reminder.

Like seriously everytime I've watched Kenji draft cube he forces mono red and it always works.

:wtc:

suicidesteve posted:

I don't know if that's what actually made them fix it, but it was like that for a few months and it got fixed shortly after that happened.

It seems a little too convenient that a guy who plays A Mindslaver Deck can't play A Mindslaver Deck because a bug that's been in the client forever suddenly can because they fixed it immediately after that player complained about it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

This seems like a major flaw in the system. Seems it could lead to FYGM and lead to it being harder for stores to run events. Hell, its already really hard for stores to run events now it seems like if the store owners I know are telling the truth.

I get the goal is to build a community and I agree that really looks great on paper but it should translate well into reality as well.

They should want the judges that run the smoothest events for their store and your goal should be to be one of those judges. I am not saying you are one of these types, but I feel like some judges want to limit the amount of judges so they can have a more of a monopoly on working events. IF level 3's and 2's can cherry pick new judges to be in their inner circle of friends then that isn't necessarily going to lead to better quality events for players.

Let's tie judging and mtgfinance together and go back to the old tradition of buying your commission. Maybe you slip a couple play sets of goyfs to get your L2, maybe a couple ex scalding tarn for L3. People will have some stake in their rank so the system will work. :)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
People join cube to play big powerful cards. No one wants red aggro, and everyone forgets to take duals.

Dzyl ends up with 10-15 nonbasics every draft and gets to play whatever he wants because of it :v:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Let's tie judging and mtgfinance together and go back to the old tradition of buying your commission. Maybe you slip a couple play sets of goyfs to get your L2, maybe a couple ex scalding tarn for L3. People will have some stake in their rank so the system will work. :)

We all know your stance on Magic and the community etc.but sometimes you try to hard. Like this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

We all know your stance on Magic and the community etc.but sometimes you try to hard. Like this.

Wow, way to shoot down a reasonable solution.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Wow, way to shoot down a reasonable solution.

Show me on the doll where the bad magic player touched you.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The bathing suit area

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The vast majority of L2s in my area are store employees, there is really no reason why a store that runs Competitive REL events on a regular basis shouldn't have an L2 on staff. At the store I play at most often, all employees are encouraged to get their L1 certification and are given a small raise if they do. It makes events run much smoother as there are multiple people able to respond quickly to judge calls, and having someone component and qualified helps encourage casual play as well.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it's hard to reach a magic player's bathing suit area

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
eurogame players though...that's just impossible...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I was spoiled, because I got my L1 in a time when an L3 had to certify you, not an L2. The first time I judged was under an L3. I guess I should have checked my privilege. :shobon:

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Again: they say they've worked on this for a year, almost as if they're proud of the fact they put a year worth of work into something that should have taken a few months tops, yet they seem to lack unit or play testing. Christ.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

FYGM is probably a thing in places. And I know for sure that the reason why my store wanted me to become a Judge, and wants me to become L2 is to be able to run events. As to events, well, last couple of times I dropped by an FNM, it was dead. Event fired, no issue, but the players know well enough to not really need me for much so I kinda twiddled my thumbs. Hoping this weekend's PPTQ is the same, I wouldn't mind a bit of chill hanging out.

You're probably right about the monopoly thing, but it's not like they're hurting for events here. Hell, I mentioned than L2 is voluntarily stepping down.

For me, what sucks is that you need to do more to be able to do more, and it kind of gets into a loop. Can't get my store to do more PPTQs as an L1, so I can't do more PPTQs to stop being L1. It might be my area specifically, but yeah.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Death Bot posted:

People join cube to play big powerful cards. No one wants red aggro, and everyone forgets to take duals.

Dzyl ends up with 10-15 nonbasics every draft and gets to play whatever he wants because of it :v:
I would say also that mono-red was pretty good before, and it's one of few decks that hasn't gotten weaker due to the loss of mana rocks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serperoth posted:

Can't get my store to do more PPTQs as an L1, so I can't do more PPTQs to stop being L1. It might be my area specifically, but yeah
No that's specifically the problem in most areas that aren't major metros. I live in Minneapolis, so it would be piss-easy to become an L2; we have all sorts of high level tournaments firing around here and there's a handful of L2s around so becoming an L1 would be literally as easy as asking to be one. But for people who live in small towns and such who have to drive an hour just to go to FNM, that's not an option. Going to anything bigger might require taking time off work just to get to and back, and they can't have the event locally even if there's enough player demand because they don't have a judge. And because they don't have a judge they can't get a judge. It's a closed loop and to me it seems ridiculous in this age to require a "judge mentor" type deal when you could easily do the interview over Skype and have judge materials on an app.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

No that's specifically the problem in most areas that aren't major metros. I live in Minneapolis, so it would be piss-easy to become an L2; we have all sorts of high level tournaments firing around here and there's a handful of L2s around so becoming an L1 would be literally as easy as asking to be one. But for people who live in small towns and such who have to drive an hour just to go to FNM, that's not an option. Going to anything bigger might require taking time off work just to get to and back, and they can't have the event locally even if there's enough player demand because they don't have a judge. And because they don't have a judge they can't get a judge. It's a closed loop and to me it seems ridiculous in this age to require a "judge mentor" type deal when you could easily do the interview over Skype and have judge materials on an app.

Don't know about the States, but here in Scotland most mentoring is done remotely, and only the actual test itself is administered in person. That said, you still need some experience, ideally watched by the guy to test you, so it can be tough, I admit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

And because they don't have a judge they can't get a judge. It's a closed loop and to me it seems ridiculous in this age to require a "judge mentor" type deal when you could easily do the interview over Skype and have judge materials on an app.

That's the crux of the issue to me, exactly. My interview was basically "why you wanna be a judge" "community and stuff, also for the store to do more events so community" "cool, let's see you help out in this event", more a formality than a serious issue. Materials on an app is also good, especially as a failsafe. Especially with more laid-back events, it's still different to say "I think X happens if you do Y, but gimme a second to make sure" rather than straight up "well lemme look at my app" straight away. Plus, you already need Oracle/Rulings access on hand anyway, so...

There ARE provisions for getting Judges in Judge-less areas, but it's still contingent on a chain of people, rather than a system, which is not optimal (to me).

I wonder if an auto-match system could work. Submit an application to get started in a system, get paired with an L2, etc., rather than this half-informal half-formal setup.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Seems CFB have snapped up BBD

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/going-dark/

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
um...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I guess it matched first three characters

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
You guys never played Beetleback Chink before?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I...guess it's a slur for native americans?

It feels like wotc just put "list of slurs" into google, hit "i'm feeling lucky", and manually added the filter for every word on the page

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zoness posted:

I guess it matched first three characters

Scroll ****

****** Pup

"What the christ ****" yes apparently WotC is censored.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

"What the christ ****" yes apparently WotC is censored.

Matches first two characters of work and modo doesn't work so

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zhou Yu, ***** Commander.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why would they censor 'Dance'?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

***** Engineer

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

***** Engineer

Blood***** Ascension.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

quote:

STILL OFFICIAL, STILL FICTION, NOW MAGIC STORY

Magic's official story column renamed again—to Magic Story. So back when we made changes to DailyMTG's content all those weeks ago, one of the changes we made was to switch the name "Uncharted Realms" to "Official Magic Fiction." The change was intended to make it more obvious to new players what the column was about while giving it some sort of stamp of approval. You were not pleased. And understandably so. We tried to do too much with the title, and it ended up being a mouthful. Even more, it wasn't really accomplishing one of our main goals, which was to make the story easier to find. As it turns out, when people are looking for Magic's story, the search phrase "Magic Story" is far and away the most searched for. So we might as well be as-on-the-nose as possible. What was once called Uncharted Realms and then, briefly, called Official Magic Fiction will now be known as Magic Story.

Look for the update to take place on our website before the next edition of, yes, Magic Story.

Coming Fall 2016: Fall 2016 Large Set™

Blood***** Ascension.

Drana, Kalastria Blood***** sounds way more perverse than it did before.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Coming Fall 2016: Fall 2016 Large Set™

Home > MTG Salvation Forums > Magic Fundamentals > Magic General > Fall 2016 Large Set™, Worse Than Homelands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't know why Shahrazad is banned in Canadian Highlander. Just concede the subgame and lose half your life. :v: And goddamnit Chaos Orb should be legal.

• Locked thread