Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
The thing I love most about sighthounds is the fact that they adapt so well to your lifestyle. Mine is slightly more active than most of you shared, but not much, I take my whippet Meesha for at least a couple of miles of walks every day (we dont have a yard thats suited for him being out alone) and to the dog park for free running at least twice a week. We also do a four-five hour hike off-leash or on a long line depending on where we are at least a couple times a month and he has no trouble with any of it. He gets a bit annoying if he doesnt get at least his two mile walk more than one day in a row.

Should put in some random pictures of Meesha taken over christmas at the in-laws house in the sticks too. The close-up with the drool was when my girlfriend who unlike me does not under any circumstance share food with the dog was having lasagna. You can see the sheer desperation in his eyes when begging doesnt work. I love it.

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I love whippets! I met some whippets before I ever met a greyhound and I was going to get a whippet but then I learned that greyhounds (1) are a dime a dozen around here, I live next to a racing state and (2) are even chiller and lazier than whippets.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Oh hey Adam. Nice ears.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Our lined fleece coat is beginning to fall apart. Since the high today was 0F, this could be a problem.
I know this has been asked a couple times, but does anybody have good recommendations for coats?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I got Gannon's coats from http://www.chillydogs.ca/ and they're great. Canadian company but our once again weak dollar should offset shipping costs. I got a winter coat and a sweater for Gannon when I got him in summer of 2012 and they're still in great condition despite heavy use. They've got a "long and lean" option that is what you want for a greyhound.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

Our lined fleece coat is beginning to fall apart. Since the high today was 0F, this could be a problem.
I know this has been asked a couple times, but does anybody have good recommendations for coats?

http://www.k9apparel.com

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

A former professor of mine did a fun little side project this week of assigning fonts to different dog breeds. The greyhound one is pretty awesome. :3:

Cafepress shop

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 23, 2016

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Anyone else have greyhounds confused by snow?

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011
Bean is six today!

Happy birthday, skinnyface.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Super Belated Xmas pic!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy Birthday Bean!

Also nice grinch horn hound!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any tips for a new dog owner? Things I should have ready? I'm supposed to go see some of the adoptable dogs tomorrow and I'm preparing a list of things I'll need for taking one home. So far I have:

Crate
Doggy bed
Food/water bowls
Leash
Collar
Muzzle
Toys
Nail Clippers
Brush
Toothbrush

Am I missing anything? What are toys that are good for greyhounds? Chew toys? What is a good water bowl/bottle for keeping inside the crate?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 28, 2016

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

bamhand posted:

Any tips for a new dog owner? Things I should have ready? I'm supposed to go see some of the adoptable dogs tomorrow and I'm preparing a list of things I'll need for taking one home. So far I have:

Crate
Doggy bed
Food/water bowls
Leash
Collar
Muzzle
Toys
Nail Clippers
Brush
Toothbrush

Am I missing anything? What are toys that are good for greyhounds? Chew toys? What is a good water bowl/bottle for keeping inside the crate?

You mentioned a collar, but you might want to have two-- a regular collar to wear all the time for tags, and a martingale collar just for walks so they can't slip away.

The toys depend on the individual dog. Casey really loves chasing squeaky tennis balls, but Tess prefers those crunchy water bottle toys. I'd just get a variety of toys and rotate them to see what they like best.

Bonus Doc Pic:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

bamhand posted:

Any tips for a new dog owner? Things I should have ready? I'm supposed to go see some of the adoptable dogs tomorrow and I'm preparing a list of things I'll need for taking one home.

Typically, rescues won't do same-day adoptions. YMMV, but don't be surprised if you don't get to come home with a new friend tomorrow. It's also good for you, since it forces you to think about things, and gives you a chance to see more than just one set of dogs before making a decision.

My apologies of I mis-read this, and you're just starting to get stuff together for when you do bring one home.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I actually put in an application a couple weeks back and have been talking with the woman running the rescue. So I'm going over tomorrow to see the two available and I'd be able to take one home if I thought it'd be a good fit. I've done a bit of research and read up on general dos and don'ts and now I'm just trying to account for all the little details to make sure things go smoothly.

Another question, it'll be 40-50 degrees where I am this weekend. Will I need to get a jacket? There's also snow everywhere from the big storm. Will I need to worry about salt on sidewalks? Get paw wax and rinse his feet after walks?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 29, 2016

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Our rescue gave us a leash, collar and muzzle, and they also let people borrow crates. Borrowing one could be useful depending on the dog - some like them, some don't. You might end up needing a different sized one, depending the size of the particular grey you adopt.

I would definitely get a coat. I always put one on Mona when it's below 50. I don't personally worry about salt on walks, but we only go for short walks in the winter, since she hates the cold.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We hadn't done any prep before the adoption day where we got Mona. We ended up picking up a crate, food bowl and a dog bed on the way home from the adoption day.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

bamhand posted:

Crate
Doggy bed
Food/water bowls
Leash
Collar
Muzzle
Toys
Nail Clippers
Brush
Toothbrush

doggie bags!
also, greys like having their food and water bowls raised up. So you could be fancy and get a "bowl stand" or "feeder stand", or you could do what I did and get B&Q to slice up a longer board and build yourself a little floor-standing shelf.

greys get confused about toys, but most of them do seem to prefer little fluffy things that squeak. They tend not to be real fans of "chew" toys.

Treats can be good to have on-hand early on, especially on walks, to help you train the grey to focus on you (and your treats) rather than worry about loud noises or whatever else. They'll probably warm up to you really fast anyway, but treats can help! You probably don't need fancy treats- just a 'sample' pack of a yummy kibble will work, since they're bite size already and also kind of dog food (vs dog treat, which you wouldn't feed too much of).

If you'll be taking the grey in your car in a bunch, a couple of old bedsheets (or a fitted seat cover) can save you some vacuuming. An old towel or two is good to have handy for wiping dirty feet or drying rained-on heads.

Depending on your grey you might want to have a soup-size can of PLAIN pumpkin puree. If your grey gets poo problems from a change in food, anxiety, etc. then a spoonful of pumpkin mixed in with food will help sort that out.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

skoolmunkee posted:

If When your grey gets poo problems from a change in food, anxiety, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How much should I be feeding? The reading I did said feed regularly twice a day for 10 minutes each time. Take away the food after the 10 minutes (or 20 if they're a super slow eater). Do I just let him eat however much he wants during that period?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

You can get food to last 10 minutes?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
re: For food change. To help settle the stomach issues I've had success giving my greys pumpkin from a can.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
A little plain yogurt mixed in with the food also helps control the intensity, if not the number, of greyhound toots.

I agree that greyhounds and toys can be really hit or miss. Our dog likes (supervised!) rawhides and pig ears a lot, but has a pretty low interest level in other toys.

I would also have a fridge magnet or other prominent bulletin with the contact number of an emergency vet, as well as the contact info for your regular vet.

Another thing to have is a mental list of what rooms and furniture are off limits to the dog; if you're inconsistent about this early on, it'll be hard to fix later.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 29, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And be Super Hard Core about it. My dog was great about staying off the bed until that one time I let him do it. Since then . . . basically I do a lot more laundry these days

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ok, so new doggy is home! I don't have a name for him yet. But he was WW's Impala when h was racing. He's 2 years old and 65 pounds. Super friendly.

So far we've got the stairs mastered. He hasn't mastered not peeing all over the floor though. It's happened twice so far, about 1-4 hours after I walked him. I cleaned up the mess with Nature's Miracle have been taking him out about ever 4 hours for works. Lots of praise whenever he poops or pees outside. Anything else that I can do?

He also will go into his crate but he whines if he can't see me, even if I'm in the same room.

He also won't eat any of his dry food. Wet was fine but he completely ignores the dry food. I brought him home last night and so far the only things he's eaten is a half dozen dog treats (rewards for going up and down the stairs and for pooping and peeing outside) and a half can of wet foot along with a half can of pumpkin because he has the runs.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 30, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
:3:

Just keep at it with the peeing. If you see him sniffing around for a spot, interrupt him and take him out real quick. Later on you can teach him to bark or tap a bell when he wants to go out.

Oh and reward him for a nice long pee but maybe not for a quick mark.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2016

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Got it. I have stairs leading to the door out so getting him outside is kind of tricky but hopefully he'll get the idea soon.

Any tips on the whining? He basically has to be in the room as me at all times. I slept on the couch next to his crate because he wouldn't let me upstairs. The cats have also been hiding out upstairs so I've been trying to keep him on the first floor.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No tips on that one, just sympathy :) They do have a reputation as kind of clingy. I would suggest to go ahead and decide definitively where he is and isn't allowed to go so you aren't trying to decide on the fly whether you need to work on stairs now, or whining, or something else. He will probably be happier if you let him sleep in the room with you, mine certainly was. Just make sure the cats have some escape routes. For me it took the dog and the cats a few months to work out a good equilibrium, everything was a little unsettled for a while.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The upstairs is carpeted so I wanted him to stay out until the potty issue was resolved. I bought an extra dog bed for the upstairs I just don't want him peeing on the carpet (again) for the time being. Did you keep your dog muzzled around the cats? I've been muzzling him whenever he wasn't in his crate or lying down on a pillow.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah, makes sense. I did use the muzzle at first, because no loving way was I going to be able to deal with mangled kitties. After a few months it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a problem and I quit using the muzzle after that. He could still whack 'em with his paws so the muzzle isn't 100% safety but it helps a lot.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
WIth the peeing you also need to be taking him out right away anytime you let him out of his crate. They're pretty much trained to relieve themselves whenever they get out their crate.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
He hasn't really been using his crate unless I lead him into it. All the accidents were a couple hours after a walk when he's just lounging about the house. He seems to be peeing every 3 or 4 hours so I think he's just going whenever he gets a slight urge instead of holding it in.

Should I be doing anything about him ignoring his food? He wouldn't eat dry food last night or this morning but he did scarf down half a can of pumpkin + wet food this morning.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Maybe some kind of urinary tract infection?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just looked up symptoms for UTI's and the frequent peeing seems to be the only one he has. Maybe strong odor too? I'm not sure what normal dog pee smells like ... Also he just got his stitches out from his neutering this Wednesday if that makes a difference. My vet's office is closed until Monday. Can this wait til then to make a call? It seems like he doesn't have any of the major symptoms.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Should I be doing anything about him ignoring his food? He wouldn't eat dry food last night or this morning but he did scarf down half a can of pumpkin + wet food this morning.
If you want him on dry food, just phase out the wet, I bet he'll figure it out quick enough. Also you can mix the two, or mix the pumpkin into the dry food, or pour some chicken broth over it, stuff like that.

Unless the rescue spent a lot of time on housetraining him, the peeing is probably just him not having figured out the new situation yet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I'm working on the peeing by keeping an eye on him when he's not in the crate and encouraging him to hang out in the crate when he's just lounging around the house. I got him used to equating clicker with a treat so I've been clicking and treating whenever he pees outside.

Right now the biggest problem is the whining whenever I'm out of line of sight. I can be in the same room and he'll start getting upset if he can't see me. He should just get used to it after being crated for a few days of me at work right?

Also he's super terrified of the cats sometimes and will bark at them. The barking then spooks the cats and they run off. Then he chases after them when they run. But if he's in the crate and sees the cat he just starts whimpering and whining; so the cat and the dog both stare at each other and have a whimper off.

Still new to the whole dog ownership thing and I'm paranoid I'm doing something wrong. Any advice is welcome!

bamhand fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 2, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Karen Pryor is the best http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1403

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Thank you! That looks like a good plan, though it might be a bit trickier since my cats bolt as soon as the dog makes any noises. Might be hard to keep them in the same room without both of them flipping out.

Iminnosynt
Oct 7, 2003
I made my bedroom a safe room for my cats. When I got Gucci, she was classified as cat safe; however, when I brought her home and she saw the cats for the first time, she was very interested. She actually chased two of them, and my alpha cat came out from under the bed like a banshee and gave her a whoopin. She has a healthy respect for the cats now. But like I said, I made my bedroom a safe room. I got a tall pet gate that I installed in my bedroom door. It has a small door at the bottom that my cats can fit through. It gives them a little security. Gucci sleeps in my husband's room on her bed and occasionally his. Everybody's happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Right now the dog whines if I sleep out of sight of her and the cats whine if I sleep next to the dog. There's no winning (or sleeping) for me. Going to try and bring the cat in while the dog is crated and click+treat as long as the dog stays calm.