Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love Arslan, though, so I'm probably still gonna buy it. I watched some full game footage a while back, and it looked pretty standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Using the first stage to show it off was a bad idea, being brown, flat and foggy was true to the source material but made it look like something out of Samurai Warriors 1 on the PS2.
Also that time limit was pretty drat stingy, reminds me of the demo of DW3(?) which had a tight time limit and put me off the series for years.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's not even really the *first* stage, because shortly after Prince Arslan gets knocked off the horse, it switches to a series of flashback stages that lead up to it, and from what I recall, when you get back to that point in the story, the Daryun part plays COMPLETELY differently. It's very haphazardly thrown together but gives you a general idea. It's less a "demo" and more of a "sample".

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Whatever happened with that new Warriors game/series based on a new western IP? did any more info come out about it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: Hyrule Warriors Legends

The Link amiibo does *not* unlock the Spinner, as the Spinner is no longer locked behind it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
While I know the series is up to 8 now, I don't have 8 yet and probably won't for a while and was thinking of trying an Empires game. Is 7 Empires worth getting?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

While I know the series is up to 8 now, I don't have 8 yet and probably won't for a while and was thinking of trying an Empires game. Is 7 Empires worth getting?

Go for it, they're all the same

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I don't get why some people think every playthrough of DW7:E is different. They all felt pretty much the same to me. I was also disappointed with the lack of action by the enemy territories and by my own guys lack of rebelliousness. They just leave if they're dissatisfied. I'm an evil tyrant. Try to wrest control of the empire from me motherfucker! I swore blind they used to do that in DW4:E.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Most likely those minor random events every so often. It's a little thing, but things like that do help. 8 doesn't have them, and the game feels emptier.

Good or neutral people leave, evil people will try to betray, as long as they see a decent chance. Most likely, you're not in a position where they'll risk it. Some will do it regardless(Dong Zhuo, Lu Bu), but they're not common.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Bloodly posted:

Most likely those minor random events every so often. It's a little thing, but things like that do help. 8 doesn't have them, and the game feels emptier.

Glad I didn't get 8 empires then. I found 7 a bit empty though this might have because most of my playthroughs involved fighting every turn, finishing the game as quickly as possible to get the best AI/power/whatever for whichever custom character I was playing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how Samurai Warriors 4: Empires will compare to 7 and 8's Empire games. I always preferred the Empire games, so I hope there's a lot to the upcoming one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So I started watching the 2010 Three Kingdoms series again with the intent to finish it this time (I only got to episode 10 the last time I watched it), and I'm pretty disappointed that Dian Wei didn't show up at all, and that they didn't show Xiahou Dun losing his eye either. Other than that this is a pretty great show.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The series have some pretty good moments, like Cao Cao trolling Yuan Shao at Guandu. The actor who plays Cao Cao is awesome.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Has there been a Samurai Warriors game on PC yet that is good? They need to port the Fist of the North Star Musou to PC. :(

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Has there been a Samurai Warriors game on PC yet that is good? They need to port the Fist of the North Star Musou to PC. :(

Samurai Warriors 4-II is out on Steam. By all accounts it seems like a good Warriors game, though maybe not worth upgrading for if you've already played Samurai Warriors 4. With regards to Fist of the North Star, I doubt it, as it seems like the only old games Tecmo-Koei likes porting to Steam are Chinese versions of Nobunaga's Ambition and ROTK.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Jimbot posted:

I wonder how Samurai Warriors 4: Empires will compare to 7 and 8's Empire games. I always preferred the Empire games, so I hope there's a lot to the upcoming one.

Is there a solid date for Empire?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

LeSquide posted:

Is there a solid date for Empire?
March 11 in Europe and 15 in NA.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What the hell is Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 13 and why is it #2 top seller on steam?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The 13th in Koei's long line of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms series. I believe it's one of the first on Steam, but don't quote me on that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's the full blown strategy version of Dynasty Warriors, with no real combat.

I'd pick it up, but gently caress $90 with no English support.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess ROTK 13 is SORTA like the RPG ROTK games but not completely, so you get weird things like being a unit commander but controlling your entire side during a battle. I'm not sure I'd grab it even if it was translated

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 29, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

RentACop posted:

I guess ROTK 13 is SORTA like the RPG ROTK games but not completely, so you get weird things like being a unit commander but controller your entire side during a battle. I'm not sure I'd grab it even if it was translated

From what little I can tell, I guess they want to appeal to people who like both kinds of ROTK games.

That said, I would like to know more about how the rest of the game works before deciding to buy an eventual English release.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
ROTK...11? I think it was? was one of my favorite strategy games of all time. A friend and I spent hours building custom dynasties from the ground up that spanned a hundred or so years and several generations, then pitting them against each other. Game was loving weird but it was its own thing and great. I hope this gets an English translation and a price reduction.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's an officer-centric ROTK like 10, not a force-centric one like 11. It almost looks more like a refresh of the (abysmal) force-centric ROTK 12, except hopefully not terrible. And it's #2 because there's a whole hell of a lot of people in China and they're buying the game--I think Koei confirmed that an English translation was in the works for the Asian market, so you'll at least be able to import the game if you feel like it. Probably not until the Power-Up Kit comes out, though, which is something in between a really big patch and full expansion that Koei traditionally releases for these games between a month to a year after the original game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
RoTK XI was a pretty good strategy game, even with all the micromanagement, but hey, it was the price to pay to have two angry scholars on top of stone pillars shouting at each other until one of them explodes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RentACop posted:

I guess ROTK 13 is SORTA like the RPG ROTK games but not completely, so you get weird things like being a unit commander but controlling your entire side during a battle. I'm not sure I'd grab it even if it was translated

Well, even as an officer you could have control over your force in a battle if you were the commander of the unit or the strategist so it sounds like they just let you control everyone without needing the correct position.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any particular reason to use the recommended teams in Orochi 3? I'm enjoying it but it's getting kind of tedious switching to level 1 characters every other map and you don't get enough growth points during the story to bring them up to par.

Also so far all my deaths have been from getting stunlocked from full to 0 by the main villain dude at the end of some maps. Really annoying.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there any particular reason to use the recommended teams in Orochi 3? I'm enjoying it but it's getting kind of tedious switching to level 1 characters every other map and you don't get enough growth points during the story to bring them up to par.

Also so far all my deaths have been from getting stunlocked from full to 0 by the main villain dude at the end of some maps. Really annoying.

Nah, it's just dialogue changes, and possibly mission changes should a character be acting as bait or not for a trap. Feel free to switch it up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, I think the only reason they're recommend is because they're actively involved with the storyline in that stage. I use them for a bit of variety but there's no reason not to.

And yeah, Orochi 3 is still kind of old school when it comes to officers one shotting you if you're not careful.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I found using the recommended team was way too much of a pain in the rear end, after a while. There is a button that let you start the mission with them, but no button to just change your team to the recommended team. I mean come on Koei, I have millions of growth points and Gems, I want to level these guys up a bit before I use them! But no, I can either use them at level 1, or a can change my team manually by crawling through the hundreds of characters in the selection screen (assuming I can remember which game/kingdom the team members come from).

It became too much of a bother once I had unlocked most of the characters.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rutibex posted:

(assuming I can remember which game/kingdom the team members come from).

I'm assuming that you don't play many Warriors games, because going into Orochi and not knowing the cast inside and out is foreign to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can see the recommended team before you start the mission, and you have to have unlocked those character for that mission to even be open, so you can level them separately before entering the fight. You don't need to go in with them at Level 1.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 2, 2016

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I stuck with the starting three because it's a pretty solid team and I didn't bother switching to the recommended teams until I had some growth points to toss around and saw characters I care about.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

I'm assuming that you don't play many Warriors games, because going into Orochi and not knowing the cast inside and out is foreign to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can see the recommended team before you start the mission, and you have to have unlocked those character for that mission to even be open, so you can level them separately before entering the fight. You don't need to go in with them at Level 1.

:rolleyes:
Why would I get a bunch of other games when Warriors Orochi 3 has all the character in them already? I know that I can select the recommended team manually, but that is annoying. I spent most of the game pre-selecting the recommended teams to level them up, until I eventually just said "gently caress it" and beat the rest of the story mission with Lu Bu and Cai Wenji.

Gauntlet Mode is the real game anyway, the story is just a tutorial.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rutibex posted:

:rolleyes:
Why would I get a bunch of other games when Warriors Orochi 3 has all the character in them already? I know that I can select the recommended team manually, but that is annoying. I spent most of the game pre-selecting the recommended teams to level them up, until I eventually just said "gently caress it" and beat the rest of the story mission with Lu Bu and Cai Wenji.

I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything. It's just, at this point, a strange thought of not knowing the cast beforehand, just because I'm already 3 games in. A lot of people started on Orochi 3, so it's understandable.

And yeah, just pick your team, and enjoy yourself. Also, Xiahou Ba is the best character in that game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything. It's just, at this point, a strange thought of not knowing the cast beforehand, just because I'm already 3 games in. A lot of people started on Orochi 3, so it's understandable.

And yeah, just pick your team, and enjoy yourself. Also, Xiahou Ba is the best character in that game.

I've actually played Dynasty Warriors 2-5 on the PS2 back in the day, and just came back into it with Orochi 3. So I can recognize the big name Three Kingdoms guys, but they added a lot of obscure characters between 5 and whatever they are up to now, and of course the Samurai characters, and the randoms from other games, and original characters...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rutibex posted:

I've actually played Dynasty Warriors 2-5 on the PS2 back in the day, and just came back into it with Orochi 3. So I can recognize the big name Three Kingdoms guys, but they added a lot of obscure characters between 5 and whatever they are up to now, and of course the Samurai characters, and the randoms from other games, and original characters...

I actually jumped into Orochi 1 having never played a Samurai Warriors game, and it eased me into SW pretty fast. Orochi 3 just goes "YOU KNOW THESE GUYS, LET'S GO BLOW UP STUFF", and it's a little jarring at first if you're new.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, Orochi 3 owns because of this.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
:lol: To know everyone in Orochi 3 when it came out that would mean you played Samurai Warriors 3 and no one should do that unless they are Japanese and can get the PS3 version.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I just can't figure out why Goemon is in Samurai 3 when the SW1 characters are in Samurai 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just can't figure out why Goemon is in Samurai 3 when the SW1 characters are in Samurai 1.

As of Orochi 3's release, he wasn't a member of the standard Samurai Warriors cast, having been removed for SW 2 & 3. He was probably put in Samurai 3 due to being a "bonus" character.