Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do they care? It was a paying gig. I doubt Oldman cares, he's Gary loving Oldman. Mark Hamill is set for the foreseeable future, Gillian Anderson is doing crazy awesome, Mark Strong is Mark loving Strong, Andy Serkis has the studio that Chris spent millions to rent for months, and so forth. Star Citizen can bomb and none of them will blink an eye.

It's basically just going to be nothing more than an anecdote for them to talk about during interviews to promote what they work on next.

It really sounds like they have gone all in on mocap in a way that just isn't going to work. The talk of having a one size fits all skeleton they have to stretch and shrink the mocap data to fit sounds like they are going for a seamless integration of the cutscenes and the game. An almost impossible to solve problem that is just going to be a massive bottleneck that gets in the way of making pretty much any progress on any aspect of the game.

Going to be worse for CIG that they used big name actors because nobody is going to blame the actors when it all goes wrong and looks ridiculous. It's going to be blatantly obvious it's because CR is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Ash1138 posted:

Imagine thousands of tiny space scarves on a 3D head and your framerate getting cut in half...

Quick, somebody photoshop Sandi's face onto a Medusa with space scarves instead of snakes.

ZenMaster posted:

wow a small ' can really change a sentence

For instance, "Super hot butfun" is made drastically different without a comma and space.

Ogrish
Mar 21, 2004
what's in the box?

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

so CIG basically has a shitload of cutscenes and no game. you guys were talking about how everyone working on the game is going to be blacklisted, but what about the actors? they have their names permanently attached to this shitheap

Not everyone working on the game will be blacklisted. Sure community guys and high up decision makers will, but content creators will not have problems finding a job. Take this video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dKJkZl7-w

You have multiple artists and animators spending ONE YEAR on a single ship. You know what a year of work on a single piece of work gives you? A fantastic portfolio piece. It's an incredible waste of time, but any dev working on their portfolio would love to have that set piece to show.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beet Wagon posted:

Also, nobody in Hollywood give a flying gently caress about (or understands anything about) video games. They'll be fine.

This is why I found that squadron 42 being their ticket back to Hollywood laughable. Nobody gives a gently caress, especially on a project that bombed. They will have to sell off poo poo if it goes under for sure, so mocap studios are dead in the water .

And if the big scandal is cutting ships or making them static and using the excuse that they were donations, I will laugh my rear end off.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

fuzzknot posted:

Quick, somebody photoshop Sandi's face onto a Medusa with space scarves instead of snakes.

For instance, "Super hot butfun" is made drastically different without a comma and space.

half done, I posted this last night.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ogrish posted:

Not everyone working on the game will be blacklisted. Sure community guys and high up decision makers will, but content creators will not have problems finding a job. Take this video for example:

No doubt those artists have nothing to be ashamed of for sure, those ships are gorgeous and a big part of why I secretly wish this project could have succeeded against all hope

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

shart citizens, right guys?

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 28, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mods knew

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

<USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTdivUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTclassUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST="USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbbcUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST-USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTblockUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST"><USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTh4USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST><USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTaUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTclassUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST="USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTquote_linkUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST" USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSThrefUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST="/USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTshowthreadUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTphpUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST?USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTgotoUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST=USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTpostUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST&USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTpostidUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST=USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST455566003USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST#USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTpost455566003USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST" USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTrelUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST="USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTnofollowUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST">USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTOgrishUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTpostedUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST:USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTaUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST>USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTh4USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST><USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTblockquoteUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST> USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTNotUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTeveryoneUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTworkingUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTonUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTtheUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTgameUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTwillUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbeUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTblacklistedUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST. USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTSureUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTcommunityUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTguysUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTandUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSThighUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTupUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTdecisionUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTmakersUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTwillUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST, USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbutUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTcontentUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTcreatorsUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTwillUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTnotUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSThaveUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTproblemsUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTfindingUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTaUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTjobUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST. USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTTakeUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTthisUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTvideoUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTforUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTexampleUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST:<USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbrUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST /> <USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbrUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST /> USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTblockquoteUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST>USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTdivUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST> <USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbrUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST /> USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTNoUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTdoubtUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTthoseUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTartistsUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSThaveUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTnothingUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTtoUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbeUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTashamedUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTofUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTforUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTsureUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST, USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTthoseUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTshipsUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTareUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTgorgeousUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTandUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTaUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTbigUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTpartUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTofUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTwhyUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTIUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTsecretlyUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTwishUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTthisUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTprojectUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTcouldUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSThaveUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTsucceededUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTagainstUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSTallUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POSThopeUSER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

I can't be the only one seeing this, right?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

I see it too

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Booblord Zagats posted:

For a few minutes, Sandi had her wish fulfilled, and everyone was banned.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
As part of G0RFs project to dispirit the SC backers by collecting evidence out that it's never coming out I decided to go through Reverse the Verse and create a list of every feature so we can point out just how much is left to be implemented. Although I'm not going to watch them myself, and just use INNs transcripts - but even reading those is terrible and kills me.

- They talk about fast food all the time goddamn they're fat fucks
- So much of the running time is updates on various ships that don't have anything but names or art, like 15 minutes every week - this "game" is just spaceship masturbation.
- They repeat so much from week to week, like the same updates on the same topics for four weeks in a row. Does anything get done?

The most damning things so far hasn't been features, it's that back in August they mentioned ArcCorp and Nyx were the only two landing zones nearly done, with only three more partially developed in total, for 5/100. This game is never coming out.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

what the fug happened to the forums just now?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I thought my phone was hosed. I see it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

:gonk:

CHRIS WE'RE SORRY MAKE IT STOP

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

stinch posted:

It's basically just going to be nothing more than an anecdote for them to talk about during interviews to promote what they work on next.

It really sounds like they have gone all in on mocap in a way that just isn't going to work. The talk of having a one size fits all skeleton they have to stretch and shrink the mocap data to fit sounds like they are going for a seamless integration of the cutscenes and the game. An almost impossible to solve problem that is just going to be a massive bottleneck that gets in the way of making pretty much any progress on any aspect of the game.

Going to be worse for CIG that they used big name actors because nobody is going to blame the actors when it all goes wrong and looks ridiculous. It's going to be blatantly obvious it's because CR is an idiot.

They've been pushing for seamless integration from the beginning. The intent is that the player "be" the character, although they've also flat out said there will be forced perspective (loss of camera control, sorry VR users) scenes as well as actual cutscenes. None of it makes any sense whatsoever:

- Why hire AAA actors to sit around in gimp suits when you could pay nobodies to do the same thing and then slap their heads on?
- If you're going to use AAA actors in performance capture, why force their bodies to all be the same size? Gillian Anderson is 5'3". Mark Hamill is 5'9". Mark Strong is 6'2".
- Why use AAA actors to play pretend when you would get much more mileage out of AAA rated voice actors who are used to it? You still get Mark Hamill and Andy Serkiss, but wouldn't nerds be much more excited about also getting performances by Jennifer Hale, Steven Blum, Nolan North, and other giants in the gaming industry?

It makes about as much sense as anything else related to Star Citizen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My head is imploding.

:gary: :pgabz: :pgabz: :yarg:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

When does AtV start again? Their twitch channel is horrible at giving good info

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Every Star Citizen video has like five of these guys.

TheNorthHawk 1 month ago
+Listening Point It takes a lot of time to create a good game, and the amount they've got on the table right now for their backers to play? It's phenomenal by industry standards. Don't take my word for it - Ask anyone in the business.

I asked the only person I know in the business, Derek Smart, and he said it was total poo poo and then made a strange paarrping noise.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ZenMaster posted:

When does AtV start again? Their twitch channel is horrible at giving good info

It's not live, it'll be on Youtube in 40ish minutes

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They've been pushing for seamless integration from the beginning. The intent is that the player "be" the character, although they've also flat out said there will be forced perspective (loss of camera control, sorry VR users) scenes as well as actual cutscenes. None of it makes any sense whatsoever:

- Why hire AAA actors to sit around in gimp suits when you could pay nobodies to do the same thing and then slap their heads on?
- If you're going to use AAA actors in performance capture, why force their bodies to all be the same size? Gillian Anderson is 5'3". Mark Hamill is 5'9". Mark Strong is 6'2".
- Why use AAA actors to play pretend when you would get much more mileage out of AAA rated voice actors who are used to it? You still get Mark Hamill and Andy Serkiss, but wouldn't nerds be much more excited about also getting performances by Jennifer Hale, Steven Blum, Nolan North, and other giants in the gaming industry?

I would buy a CD of Mark Strong reading every angry brown-sea post from people raging about Derek Smart. That man has the best voice this side of Sam Elliot

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Daztek posted:

It's not live, it'll be on Youtube in 40ish minutes

ok wow, that makes more sense thank you citizen

your sacrifice has been noted

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RubberJohnny posted:

As part of G0RFs project to dispirit the SC backers by collecting evidence out that it's never coming out I decided to go through Reverse the Verse and create a list of every feature so we can point out just how much is left to be implemented. Although I'm not going to watch them myself, and just use INNs transcripts - but even reading those is terrible and kills me.

- They talk about fast food all the time goddamn they're fat fucks
- So much of the running time is updates on various ships that don't have anything but names or art, like 15 minutes every week - this "game" is just spaceship masturbation.
- They repeat so much from week to week, like the same updates on the same topics for four weeks in a row. Does anything get done?

The most damning things so far hasn't been features, it's that back in August they mentioned ArcCorp and Nyx were the only two landing zones nearly done, with only three more partially developed in total, for 5/100. This game is never coming out.

Landing zones aren't systems. They've promised 100 systems. But if you assume a capacity of 1 million spergs that means each system has to support 10,000 people. Even if you assume only 100,000 people will play (something like three times EVE's peak load) that's still 1000 players per system... assuming a perfectly even distribution.

The best thing about Star Citizen is finding out all the ways it can't possibly work.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I know this, yet it didn't stop me from putting about thirty bucks into the harebrained mechwarrior kickstarter.
Nostalgia.

To be fair, I don't think any of the MWO people are involved in the HBS game, certainly not at the executive level (unless we're talking credited producers because someone like Jordan worked on the original ip), and at least you can look at the shadow run games as a samp of HBS's way of doing business

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booblord Zagats posted:

I would buy a CD of Mark Strong reading every angry brown-sea post from people raging about Derek Smart. That man has the best voice this side of Sam Elliot

Oh my God I just realized he was the voice of Captain Titus gently caress yes he can stay as well.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This guy is a stupid, lying, delusional cocksucker.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Chris Roberts does have one talent, I have never been so happy I didn't spent money on something. Thanks Chris.

Maybe Chris should be looking to insurance companies for more funding, after all, he made nerds super excited about insuring space ships.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

How many Citcoin is this Lethality chap in for?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

I don't watch their dumb shows. What time is AtV? I'll watch it today. Is it live?
"Around the Verse" normally comes on at 12 noon PST, doesn't it? RtV is at 11 noon PST and is live.

Yet AtV is late today.

If my prediction was right that they had to record a segment to explain the 'misunderstanding' about Star Marine delays (which might make sense of Sandi's "common sense" tweet), then EightAce owes me some brownie points for my spooky powers of intuition... The fact that it AtV is late and Sandi's pissed is making my pineal gland tingle.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Landing zones aren't systems. They've promised 100 systems. But if you assume a capacity of 1 million spergs that means each system has to support 10,000 people. Even if you assume only 100,000 people will play (something like three times EVE's peak load) that's still 1000 players per system... assuming a perfectly even distribution.

The best thing about Star Citizen is finding out all the ways it can't possibly work.

:captainpop:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

Intuitive buttons confound Derek

:lol:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because Chris wants to stick it to Hollywood, and Sandi wants to pad her CV. Ego. It's the only reason.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

"Around the Verse" normally comes on at 12 noon PST, doesn't it? RtV is at 11 noon PST and is live.

Yet AtV is late today.

If my prediction was right that they had to record a segment to explain the 'misunderstanding' about Star Marine delays (which might make sense of Sandi's "common sense" tweet), then EightAce owes me some brownie points for my spooky powers of intuition... The fact that it AtV is late and Sandi's pissed is making my pineal gland tingle.
Is she usually on the show that's supposed to happen today? Would be funny if he voice is hoarse because of another "cold."

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh my God I just realized he was the voice of Captain Titus gently caress yes he can stay as well.

Plus I think he kinda digs Space Marines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBxD2weBe-o

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Even though Squadron 42 is released as a final product, players will also here have to be patient: “The one player campaign in Squadron 42 is played out in five chapters, with around 15 hours of content in each chapter. Each chapter will be like a game in it self, and when all the chapters are released Squadron 42 will contain over 70 hours of content.” - ERIN ROBERTS

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5323399/#Comment_5323399

Backers get the first 2 chapters for free, after that who knows how much they gonna charge.

The scam continues.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

FrankieGoes posted:

This guy is a stupid, lying, delusional cocksucker.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Kilmers Elbow posted:

How many Citcoin is this Lethality chap in for?
High Admiral - $1000+

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

Lime Tonics posted:

Even though Squadron 42 is released as a final product, players will also here have to be patient: “The one player campaign in Squadron 42 is played out in five chapters, with around 15 hours of content in each chapter. Each chapter will be like a game in it self, and when all the chapters are released Squadron 42 will contain over 70 hours of content.” - ERIN ROBERTS

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5323399/#Comment_5323399

Backers get the first 2 chapters for free, after that who knows how much they gonna charge.

The scam continues.

So, that means in the neighborhood of 55 hours of cutscenes?

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Lime Tonics posted:

The scam continues.

Ah, Valve's Half-Life episodic approach. That worked p. well. Maybe Squadron 42 episode 2 ends on a massive cliffhanger when Croberts eventuallys gets tossed into the clink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

SeldomSeen posted:

So, that means in the neighborhood of 55 hours of cutscenes?

3 hours of actual game play per chapter, with atleast an hour of that being travel/ingress/egress from the target

• Locked thread