Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If that thing about Grolar Bears is true I'll follow you to the gates of hell right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

If that thing about Grolar Bears is true I'll follow you to the gates of hell right now.

A grizzly–polar bear hybrid (also pizzly bear, polizzly, prizzly bear, nanulak, Polar-Grizz[citation needed], or grolar bear[1][2])

Pack your bags, buckaroo.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

All of these owns

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Enjoying the first comment jumping to the inevitable there.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Who What Now posted:

What's great is that you can be any [Skill]mancer you want. Of particular fun are "Craft:" "Knowledge:" and/or "Perform:". Start a death cult where you recruit people using your astounding mastery of Craft: Fake Horse Vaginas, or by laying some mind blowing facts on them with Knowledge: Bears. Watch in amazement as they go pants-shittingly insane as you tell them that the offspring of a Grizzly and a Polar bear is called a Grolar Bear and pledge themselves to your cause. Completely destroy the concept of nation-states as you cause every single member of nobility to become your fawning sycophant after seeing just one minute of your amazing Perform: Fart Noises You Make With Your Mouth. The possibilities are limitless.

This is the best thing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Triple Elation posted:

This is the best thing

According to the SRD, going from Indifferent to Fanatic is a DC90 skill check. That's not even all that hard to meet by 20th level. Taking someone from Hostile to Fanatic is a DC 150, harder but still not impossible.

Fanatics themselves get +2 Strength and Constitution, +1 to Will saves, and a -1 AC. You can Concentrate so hard that people literally get healthier. Fanaticism last for 1+Cha mod days, and is considered Mind-Affecting for purposes of immunity, saves against it (the SRD does not allow saves for it), and Sense Motive checks, but it is not magical and cannot be dispelled, only temporarily suppressed. After the effect ends they go back to their original, or better, disposition, but there's no reason you can't just amaze them again with some more kickass Perform: Spin Kicks and just re-up the duration. And unlike the Leadership feat or the Thrallherd prestige class, there is absolutely no upper limit to how many Fanatics you can have or what HD they can be. If you have the Wild Empathy class feature you can even use it on animals!

The other great thing about Exemplars is at tenth levels, you have become so amazing at the thing(s) that you do that you transcend your mortal trappings and become an Outsider. This is the exact same capstone feature as a 20th level monk. Imagine that monk meets another person in his travels, and instantly recognizes a kindred spirit. The monk explains how he achieved true oneness of mind, body, and spirit in order to ascend into a higher form. The other being, a Commoner 10/Exemplar 10, explains that she is the best there ever was at Craft: Jenkem Brewing, and pulls out a goat bladder filled with poo poo fumes so amazing you would kill to get another whiff of them. Suddenly everything the monk knew was a lie. All his years of hard work did nothing for him that huffing rotted human waste gasses couldn't. Such is life in the realms.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This thread made me start a new playthrough of NWN2. Holy poo poo the first act is intolerable.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Eifert Posting posted:

This thread made me start a new playthrough of NWN2. Holy poo poo the first act is intolerable.

Hurrr aren't fairs great? I love fairs! Sure beats swamp farming yaaaayyyyy

Me: "This can't last too long, can it?"

Ron Howard voice: "It would last a long, long time."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

You really do have to go through an insane amount of bullshit before you get to do anything interesting.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Who What Now posted:

What's great is that you can be any [Skill]mancer you want. Of particular fun are "Craft:" "Knowledge:" and/or "Perform:". Start a death cult where you recruit people using your astounding mastery of Craft: Fake Horse Vaginas, or by laying some mind blowing facts on them with Knowledge: Bears. Watch in amazement as they go pants-shittingly insane as you tell them that the offspring of a Grizzly and a Polar bear is called a Grolar Bear and pledge themselves to your cause. Completely destroy the concept of nation-states as you cause every single member of nobility to become your fawning sycophant after seeing just one minute of your amazing Perform: Fart Noises You Make With Your Mouth. The possibilities are limitless.

Holy gently caress I can make Cats Facts: The Character.

This is why D&D is an amazing game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

You really do have to go through an insane amount of bullshit before you get to do anything interesting.

I just got to Neverwinter proper. Splurged all the money I was saving up on an actual set of full plate, a kickass magic bastard sword, and a dumb feathered mask that gives me a +3 Diplomacy for my Paladin character. Dwarf gets all my hand me downs and now I'm ready to kick this city's rear end. This is the farthest I've ever gotten because everything before this point sucks. Hopefully the game picks up here, but I'm having fun the further I get.

Classtoise posted:

Holy gently caress I can make Cats Facts: The Character.

This is why D&D is an amazing game.

It'll take you a minimum of 15 levels, but yes. Yes you can. Go nuts!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Eifert Posting posted:

All I remember about Act 1 was the ending, that dude who just wanted to get the gently caress away from his wife and a mountain area that was, I swear to god, exactly one variant of grey stone texture plastered over everything. Including occasionally some of my own party members.

The game does pick up after that but holy gently caress does it ever take awhile to get going.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
my favorite part of nwn2 was after you get done fighting your way through like 3 areas populated by at least 100 orcs all with the same dumb model you get a magic axe that gives you a bonus to damage or whatever against orcs.

you never fight another orc for the rest of the game

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've heard good things, but I've yet to even make it as far as Neverwinter. Is there a way to make the camera not awful? I remember the camera being awful

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The NWN2 main campaign is a weird beast. It has some genuinely good bits, and it's not bad, but a lot of it is just extremely generic and it's long, like long, like it's gigantic and lengthy and it bears repeating, long for how uninteresting a lot of it is.

I liked Neeshka and Qara and Khelgar, though. And Sand, I guess. Like I like it. I don't dislike it. But drat, that game is longer than it needs to be, I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's expansions are much better.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
If it's on Wikipedia, it can't be more than DC 30, tops.

A DC 90 bear fact would probably be some Lovecraftian revelation that annihilates minds and turns people into cultists praying to the hibernating ursine overlords (and you, the herald of their awakening).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OldKentuckyShark posted:

Honestly, it's not really a "build" you can look at; it's just the way 3.x's core classes worked. It's not a matter of min/maxing, except to the extent that writing "Wizard" on you character sheet is a form of min-maxing.

Consider the 8th level druid. Now, an 8th level druid can do many things, like cast spells or shapeshift, but they also get an animal companion. At 8th level, their animal companion is likely to be a brown bear. Now, a Brown Bear gets 3 attacks a round, is Large (he gets free attacks whenever anyone moves up to him), has a 27 strength, and can make grapple checks as a free action whenever it hits you. An 8th level fighter, for comparison, can only make 2 attacks a round, although he probably has better accuracy and AC and he should have more tricks to use than a bear.

But that's just one of the druid's abilities. The druid can also turn into a brown bear. So every time she wakes up in the morning, whatever else she does, an 8th level druid is, at minimum, 2 brown bears.

Except one of those brown bears can cast spells. There's a feat in the PHB that lets you cast spells while wildshaped without any penalty at all. Oh, and any magic cast on the druid automatically affects its animal companion for free. Druids get many, many spells that benefit animals, so this is a useful power.

So a druid is like two bears, each of them capable of more attacks per round than a fighter, except both bears can fly (Air Walk), both of them have magically enhanced claws, and one of them is throwing lighting bolts and and turning the ground to spikes and summoning more bears.

That's caster supremacy. One guy gets a sword and armor, the other person is an aggressively hegemonizing ursine swarm.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
I'm going through the OC for NVN2 as well. Agreed, it takes For freaking EVER in that first act.

I do give it a little more credit then most, cause when it's good, it's really, really good. The trial is fantastic, the Keep is a pretty good set piece as well for what it could have been, and while a lot of characters are 'meh', the party interactions are genuinely entertaining. Elanee is a terrible character, but her party interactions are hilarious when she's allowed to show some sass and not have a stick up her rear end. I might blame the VA writing, but I think all non voiced dialogue from party members is loads better then the voiced stuff, and that's what makes the game entertaining to play through for me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know why but this is the funniest thing I've seen in a while :allears:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Shugojin posted:

I don't know why but this is the funniest thing I've seen in a while :allears:

I think it's how the one guard just nods them through after a brief moment of being stunned.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Unrelated, but I have been looking for OldKentuckyShark's 2008 election fanfic for over a month, but I couldn't remember the poster's name. I had it as somethingsomethingalligator. So, thanks.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

:byobear:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I still love that 3.5e prestige class that can use any skill in place of any other. Opening a lock by bluffing it into believing that you already opened it is still an inherently hilarious concept to me.
This is honestly not a bad idea for a dashing rogue in the Nathan Fillion mold. You can replace any skill with an opposed Bluff check, so long as you can think up a clever lie and have an audience to tell it to. So you'd open the lock by going "what, that door? No, no, it's not locked, it just sticks", and then bam, door opens when you try it. There'd be rules underpinning it but from an in-universe standpoint, your character is just this ridiculous sap who gets by on sheer luck and a lot of charm.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Isn't that just the concept behind "Dashing Swordsman" as a prestige class that Rich was going for?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

May I ask what game this is from? I can't tell by looking.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's from Pillars of Eternity. Someone's running a party of six rangers with six bear companions.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I really need to get round to playing that game sometime.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sebmojo posted:

aggressively hegemonizing ursine swarm

mods please

Re: NWN2, it really does fall into the category of "games I have pleasant memories of, but only because I played it when I had time to put up with a 60/40 game-to-bullshit ratio". Much like the original NWN, the second xpac was more of an in media res deal with less pseudo-mmo bear rear end collection quests overall (or, as NWN was always wont to do, “please find my lost husband / child / ring / heirloom so that you can get your +1 L/C G/E alignment point in a dialog when you come back").

I need to do PoE, but I'm currently getting back into Divinity:OS since I haven't played since they dropped the enhanced edition and I hear the storyline was overhauled significantly.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

This is honestly not a bad idea for a dashing rogue in the Nathan Fillion mold. You can replace any skill with an opposed Bluff check, so long as you can think up a clever lie and have an audience to tell it to. So you'd open the lock by going "what, that door? No, no, it's not locked, it just sticks", and then bam, door opens when you try it. There'd be rules underpinning it but from an in-universe standpoint, your character is just this ridiculous sap who gets by on sheer luck and a lot of charm.

Make Fonzie in D&D. All skill checks are replaced by Fonzying it.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
For most RPGs I've played, I can more or less recall half of the plot. In Baldur's gate 2 you're the son of Baal and there's this crazy wizard called Jon Irenicus and he has no soul so he takes yours. In the original Neverwinter Nights Lady Aribeth becomes a blackguard because a misguided angry mob lynched her boyfriend, and then the lizard people invade. In Tales of Symphonia The ancient hero became immortal and is actually the villain menacing you, and also the whole religious pilgrim quest you're on is a sham he started to revive his dead little sister and pull out everyone's soul because racism against half-elves is a bummer.

WTF happens in NWN2? I cannot recall to this day. Your home swamp has been destroyed to the ground. Your childhood friends are dead. You are the Kalach-Cha. You start a collection of magic shards. There's the obligatory cave with troll-equivalents in it. Then out you go to the great big world. There's a wizard called Sand, and he's tedious. Some guy called Ammon Jerro is designated your enemy. You meet up with his granddaughter and then with the guy himself and this causes a big tragedy, wherein people unnecessarily die and everyone finds out they were fighting the wrong enemy and they just made a colossal mistake, which could have been prevented if they had just stopped for two minutes to properly talk to each other. Some shrill bitch yells "BY YOUR OWN BLOOD BETRAYED JERRO!". You clip through some other girl who was supposed to give you a quest, and she says "and what of Casavir?" even though neither of you have ever met Casavir. Later you meet Casavir. Also you meet some other guy that Casavir hates, and for good reason, because the other guy is a complete rear end in a top hat. You are awarded a castle and get to play Medeival Big Shot Tycoon. At some point you confront the bad guys. I don't remember who they are, what they're called, what they wanted, or how they were (inevitably) behind the demise of your beloved home swamp. Worst of all, there isn't nearly enough screentime for the crazy redhead sorceress who wants to burn down everything.

fe: I checked. "The King of Shadows". The bad guy is called "The King of Shadows". :effort:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
And then it ends with everyone dying after you kill the Big Bad! That is NWN2, right? The literal 'rocks fall, everyone dies' ending?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RandallODim posted:

And then it ends with everyone dying after you kill the Big Bad! That is NWN2, right? The literal 'rocks fall, everyone dies' ending?

Correct!

Anything actually good you remember about NWN2 was probably Mask of the Betrayer :v:

Actually the trial in the original campaign was really fun but unfortunately ends up in the big fight no matter what so there isn't a cutscene death if the player screws up.

e: I wonder how many people got really mad about being cutscene killed on Manaan in KOTOR if they failed the trial there

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one! V and Blackwing continue to be Cool and Good.

^Tons, I hope.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

e: I wonder how many people got really mad about being cutscene killed on Manaan in KOTOR if they failed the trial there

I didn't even know it was a possible outcome.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Aww V, you DO care. :3:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Shugojin posted:

Correct!

Anything actually good you remember about NWN2 was probably Mask of the Betrayer :v:

Actually the trial in the original campaign was really fun but unfortunately ends up in the big fight no matter what so there isn't a cutscene death if the player screws up.

Christ, KOTOR is not something I've thought about in years and just reading the name Manaan started me mentally griping about the loving diving suit sequence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RandallODim posted:

Christ, KOTOR is not something I've thought about in years and just reading the name Manaan started me mentally griping about the loving diving suit sequence.
I tried to replay KOTOR recently.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rygar201 posted:

New one! V and Blackwing continue to be Cool and Good.

^Tons, I hope.

Panel 4 is :3:

"You okay?" "Yeah, I'm good."