Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So I'm confused. In the first episode Scully is working at the hospital and Mulder is unemployed and by the end of the episode it seems like they're still working outside the government (which is now the enemy they are fighting) but in Episode 2 they working as FBI agents....So did that happen between episodes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So I'm confused. In the first episode Scully is working at the hospital and Mulder is unemployed and by the end of the episode it seems like they're still working outside the government (which is now the enemy they are fighting) but in Episode 2 they working as FBI agents....So did that happen between episodes or something?

It ends with Cancer Man saying the X-files are open again. Right before that Skinner tells them they need to meet him.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

It ends with Cancer Man saying the X-files are open again. Right before that Skinner tells them they need to meet him.

That meeting could have been about a thousand different things (most likely being to back off what they are doing) and I thought smoking man was just referencing the fact that scully and mulder are back together sniffing around. I feel like there should have been a scene or moment where they actually officially rejoin the FBI.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mange Mite posted:

Well, before it would be just him talking and sounding like a lunatic. This time though it had a bunch of stock video stuff for every beat like a bad youtube video making it sound too authoritative, like if the showrunners are talking and not the character

Alan Sepinwall pointed this out in his review before it clicked for me, but for that scene, Carter seems to have been heavily inspired by the infamous Mr.X scene from JFK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSw9sjqYK_I

Which it shouldn't surprise me that he's a fan of, but weird to basically lift something from a 1991 film a bit blatantly. Maybe he thought enough people had forgotten it.

My Q-Face posted:

Tooms was born in the early 1900s, so before the aliens showed up or anybody tried doing cloning experiments.

Yeah but, the Mayans somehow knew the Alien Colonists would begin their attack in 2012, so there's the possibility the colonists were active and around long, long before 1945.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It's pretty obvious as he had an informant named Mr. X

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alucard Nacirema posted:

That meeting could have been about a thousand different things (most likely being to back off what they are doing) and I thought smoking man was just referencing the fact that scully and mulder are back together sniffing around. I feel like there should have been a scene or moment where they actually officially rejoin the FBI.

I am pretty sure both Mulder and Scully asked each other if they are ready as they get the call from Skinner, its pretty obvious.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I actually really liked the stock footage rant. If this reboot has done one thing well so far, it's capturing the conspiratorial zeitgeist. Mulder's long and vague monologues about the truth seem more at home back in the '90s, when calling into shows like Coast to Coast AM and ranting was the biggest platform most individual conspiracy theorists had. Today that platform is the much more visual medium of sites like YouTube.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's supposed to sound crazy, right? Like he's an addict who just took a hit? I didn't think we were supposed to take that scene completely seriously, but that it was supposed to make us worry about his state of mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krenzo posted:

This second episode made me think back to the Red Museum episode from season 2. Kids were being kidnapped and injected with alien DNA taken from the alien fetus. I feel like we've seen this all before, but they're trying really hard to pretend that it's new.

Exactly my problem. This doesn't feel like a continuation of the existing story, but it doesn't feel like a break with the past either. Its a rehash of stuff they've done before(multiple times even), and it doesn't really feel fresh and new at all, so why not just make this season a direct continuation of story they already had?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PBS Newshour posted:

Don't forget the lovable ghost couple who give sage advice after Mulder loses his way.

Those the same ghosts that tried to get Skully and Molder to kill each other?

They were cool.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jack Gladney posted:

He's supposed to sound crazy, right? Like he's an addict who just took a hit? I didn't think we were supposed to take that scene completely seriously, but that it was supposed to make us worry about his state of mind.

Yes. Scully is the audience in that scene.

"Dear Lord, Mulder, have you been hitting the phenazepam?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Yes. Scully is the audience in that scene.

"Dear Lord, Mulder, have you been hitting the phenazepam?"

Works in theory, but in practice what ended up happening was more like:

"Dear Lord, Carter, have you been hitting the phenazepam?"

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I really enjoyed Mulder's rants, if only because it made him sound like a MGS character.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I kinda hope they touch on what happened to Gibson Praise. I wound up liking the kid more on my recent rewatch. I'd forgotten how many seasons he appeared in, and Fox spent something like a hear chilling with him in the desert. He's someone I could see them getting in touch with given the whole thing with him supposedly having alien DNA.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basebf555 posted:

Works in theory, but in practice what ended up happening was more like:

"Dear Lord, Carter, have you been hitting the phenazepam?"

He needs to keep hitting it hard and hitting it deep.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

I kinda hope they touch on what happened to Gibson Praise. I wound up liking the kid more on my recent rewatch. I'd forgotten how many seasons he appeared in, and Fox spent something like a hear chilling with him in the desert. He's someone I could see them getting in touch with given the whole thing with him supposedly having alien DNA.

Yea but for a long time he was "the key to the X-files" because of his alien DNA. Now it seems like there's probably a shitload of Gibson Praise's out there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bobkatt013 posted:

Kill Jack Black then direct a movie where you get a blow job?

Giovanni Ribisi is not Vincent Gallo. Giovanni Ribisi was the lightning kid. Vincent Gallo directed Buffalo 66 and The Brown Bunny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mortanis posted:

He'd be college age now. Maybe if there's another season he'll be Skinner's new intern or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Talked to a coworker about the last episode and was surprised that he didn't like it at all, actually even less than the first one, he said. Apparently the issue is that it felt like a genre B-grade stuff... which I thought was exactly the point of the show.

What he apparently expected, and actually how I could see it going before the premiere too, was just Scully and Mulder investigating a single big mystery over the 6 episodes, something like True Detective with (actual) monsters, more or less. But as we've seen, it's quite easy to mess up, and the moment the cold open started, I was glad it was what it used to. I guess I would still be open to such a season, but I don't think it's necessary for the show to reinvent its format just because most other shows work differently nowadays.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Talked to a coworker about the last episode and was surprised that he didn't like it at all, actually even less than the first one, he said. Apparently the issue is that it felt like a genre B-grade stuff... which I thought was exactly the point of the show.

Yea sounds like a guy who hasn't seen the original episodes in a long time. There were soooo many episodes that were way more influenced by B-movies than this one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea sounds like a guy who hasn't seen the original episodes in a long time. There were soooo many episodes that were way more influenced by B-movies than this one.

I can think of one that was just a remake of The Thing

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

'Ice'. Still holds up well for a season one episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Octy posted:

'Ice'. Still holds up well for a season one episode.

Mulder jokes about his tiny dick. The best ep ever.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Mulder jokes about his tiny dick. The best ep ever.

Ah, but there's a season two episode where we see Mulder in his speedos and he's not too badly off. Guy is just modest.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

bobkatt013 posted:

There's an episode in season 2 that is basically The Thing set in a volcanic research base.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Castor Poe posted:

There's an episode in season 2 that is basically The Thing set in a volcanic research base.

That one rules because it has homicidal Josh Lyman in it

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, the pilot looks great in HD.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Octy posted:

Ah, but there's a season two episode where we see Mulder in his speedos and he's not too badly off. Guy is just modest.

I mean David Duchovny has posed nude. I can't remember if he went full frontal or if the funbits were "tastefully covered up" though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy moly, I can't believe how bad these are. Did Duchovny get worse at acting or am I just older now and have seen more acting? Maybe this will all tie together better but so far it feels like a bunch of fanfiction nuts got together and wrote a script after reading an issue of infowars to make it seem contemporary.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Every time they make a very strained attempt to be like "hey it's 2016" I cringe. The Obamacare and Uber comments were the worst parts so far, but there've been a lot.

They don't have to ignore the fact it's 2016, but it would be nice if it came up naturally instead of being so hamfisted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Holy moly, I can't believe how bad these are. Did Duchovny get worse at acting or am I just older now and have seen more acting? Maybe this will all tie together better but so far it feels like a bunch of fanfiction nuts got together and wrote a script after reading an issue of infowars to make it seem contemporary.

He's always had a somewhat monotone, unemotional affect. He's capable of strong emotion but its not his natural acting style.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Man, the pilot looks great in HD.

My wife and I just watched this last night on Netflix and I'm in agreement there. She never saw the show when it was on, just the 2 newest episodes when I watched them so I'm picking episodes that are good from the previous 9 seasons for her to see.

I didn't remember Mulder being so emotive. It's almost a completely different character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GutBomb posted:

My wife and I just watched this last night on Netflix and I'm in agreement there. She never saw the show when it was on, just the 2 newest episodes when I watched them so I'm picking episodes that are good from the previous 9 seasons for her to see.

I didn't remember Mulder being so emotive. It's almost a completely different character.

Issues involving his sister and Scully he gets pretty emotive. See the episodes where she has been abducted and missing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFP-hW7JpUQ

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Issues involving his sister and Scully he gets pretty emotive. See the episodes where she has been abducted and missing.

Oh yea, he gets pissed when they take Scully. Like, I'll burn this whole loving thing to the ground pissed.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Viewership numbers for 'My Struggle' are now up to 20.3 million, making it one of the most-watched episodes of the show's entire run. For comparison, during the show's peak season it averaged 19.8 million viewers per episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea, he gets pissed when they take Scully. Like, I'll burn this whole loving thing to the ground pissed.

He nearly strangles Duane Barry. It's too bad Krycek killed him off, that two-parter works so well because the guy who plays Barry is so good at playing an insane abductee.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He nearly strangles Duane Barry. It's too bad Krycek killed him off, that two-parter works so well because the guy who plays Barry is so good at playing an insane abductee.

Have you ever seen Lifeforce?. Its the guy who played Duane Barry starring in a batshit insane, yet very high budget sci/fi-horror movie and the characters are very similar. His name is Steve Railsback, he's really good at playing unhinged, yet still good-hearted characters.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Slate Action posted:

Viewership numbers for 'My Struggle' are now up to 20.3 million, making it one of the most-watched episodes of the show's entire run. For comparison, during the show's peak season it averaged 19.8 million viewers per episode.

Not that it isn't impressive, but jumps in viewers like this after 14 years can be explained with rising population numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Met posted:

Not that it isn't impressive, but jumps in viewers like this after 14 years can be explained with rising population numbers.

Except, isn't TV viewership pretty much down across the board from the 90s?

• Locked thread