Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Houle posted:

Thick Cluba and Lightning Ball are essentially Marrowak and Pikachu mega.

they aren't because marowak and pikachu are still complete rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm waiting for the day that Marowak becomes bad rear end. It will never happen

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

MacheteZombie posted:

A good third of all Pokemon with great designs are total poo poo for some reason, especially in Gen 1. See: Articuno, Marowak, Persian, Pikachu, Ninetales (they tried with Drought though :saddowns: )

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

they aren't because marowak and pikachu are still complete rear end

Trick Room set up doubles with lightning rod?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Houle posted:

Trick Room set up doubles with lightning rod?

:tutbutt:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I believe, in my heart of hearts, that Pokemon Z will bring Mega Pangoro, as well as Mega Raichu.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I still use Marowak in-game when possible, and it's may go-to False-swiper (Breloom is technically better due to getting Spore, but gently caress keeping those things a Shroomish until 40 while trying to play the game normally). It's always a bitch to get one with a Thick Club, but luckily the early bug lines usually have Compoundeyes and you get the thief TM early-ish in the Gen 6 games.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

A good third of all Pokemon with great designs are total poo poo for some reason, especially in Gen 1. See: Articuno, Marowak, Persian, Pikachu, Ninetales (they tried with Drought though :saddowns: )

Most of them get pushed down further each gen since it seems like each gen has more pokemon that are more powerful and fill similar roles. The fix would be for Game Freak to redo all the stats of every pokemon heading into the next gen/next console of games, but lol that ain't gunna happen.

Zonekeeper posted:

I still use Marowak in-game when possible, and it's may go-to False-swiper (Breloom is technically better due to getting Spore, but gently caress keeping those things a Shroomish until 40 while trying to play the game normally). It's always a bitch to get one with a Thick Club, but luckily the early bug lines usually have Compoundeyes and you get the thief TM early-ish in the Gen 6 games.

For ORAS I bred a sweet Cubone/Marowak in XY and just leveled through things in ORAS. Having perfect breeds makes the storyline part so easy it's hilarious.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cuckoo posted:

Persian and Articuno were OU in their introductory generation.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

^^ I know, RIP Persian's crit hax :qq:

MacheteZombie posted:

Most of them get pushed down further each gen since it seems like each gen has more pokemon that are more powerful and fill similar roles. The fix would be for Game Freak to redo all the stats of every pokemon heading into the next gen/next console of games, but lol that ain't gunna happen.

Yeah, few Gen 1s survived the power creep and sometimes certain pokemon got flat out hosed by mechanic changes, like Persian's crit nerf or Stealth Rock making 90% of fire/ice/flying types a waste of a slot. The game really would be best with MMO-style balance patches every gen or two.

Oh well, if they keep dishing out mega evolutions to neglected mons that's better than nothing.

EDIT another reason we keep seeing Gen 1s get systematically replaced is because Gamefreak basically releases very similar Pokemon to fulfill very similar roles in each game.

For example Starter Bird was Pidgey, whatever gen 2 was, Starly, Taillow, Fletchling. Midgame Cat was Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Purrloin.

Using the above example, thanks to Mega Pidgeot you could take your boring brown bird to the big leagues if you wanted to. But before that, there was literally no reason to use it over Starraptor or especially Talonflame. With the cat example Liepard has lovely stats like Persian does, but better typing and a Prankster set that could make it lethal on an Ubers team. Unless Gamefreak gives out mega evos like candy a lot of Pokemon are hardly even worth bringing along in an ingame team.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 28, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I believe, in my heart of hearts, that Pokemon Z will bring Mega Pangoro, as well as Mega Raichu.

As long as there's Mega-Porygon (Z) I will be happy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Countblanc posted:

They should have made Raichu electric/fairy instead of creating Dedenne.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just want Dewgong to be relevant again.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

in my heart of hearts I know that I can never love again

I've lost everything

everythiiiiiing

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Raichu becomes Electric/Cosmic type in gen IX

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cuckoo posted:

God I wish. :( Like EVs are okay and kind of cool because although they are grindy, you're literally training your Pokemon to be better in a certain way and it's cool seeing the results in a real battle or how a scarfed set VS. a defensive set performs on the same species. However, IVs and Natures are a loving pain in the rear end and a worthless relic. Even with the added quality of life improvements to breeding, it's still kind of douchey to have one of the biggest morals of the game be that "Strong pokemon. Weak pokemon" speech while literally having the player choose between strong pokemon and weak pokemon.

Same thing with completely garbage BSTs/type combos, although mega evolutions are a pretty obvious way of Gamefreak saying "Sorry about that, here's your Charizard buff".

Nature's wouldn't be bad at all if there was a way to change them in game. Like, if you could teach your Pokemon to be modest or bold or whatever in some kind of minigame.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cuckoo posted:

:crossarms:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

they should have made a pit to push you in and me and dedenne are standing over the pit high fiving

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cuckoo posted:

this is why i want to play rby

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Countblanc posted:

Mega Dunsparce, the strongest of all Pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dunban posted:

Mega Dunsparce, the strongest of all Pokemon

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

But that's just a theory..............

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
They don't necessarily need to give them stronger stats or add more types, have them have thematically appropriate unique abilities that would do some interesting things. Like, say give Persian STAB boost on some sort of Steel type headbutt move because of its charm, or give it lightning rod ability because of its charm or something to do with it being based on the lucky wealth cat and give it something similar to Hustle + evade boost.

I feel like that's where abilities will eventually take pokemon given enough time and slow progressions. Every pokemon slowly gaining a bunch of unique or overlapping set of characteristics that would make it more complex. Like, being unable to use wrap, bind, etc on Jolteon because of all the spikes.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

And yet Carbink doesn't evolve into Diance.... .well it does sort of in the pokedex entry but nothing that the player can use.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm kind of curious how an extremely rude para-flinch Chansey set would be in the current VGC doubles format. Rockslide, T-wave (or body slam for ground types and getting around Taunt), and some combination of Softboiled/Heal Pulse/attacking move.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dude789 posted:

I'm kind of curious how an extremely rude para-flinch Chansey set would be in the current VGC doubles format. Rockslide, T-wave (or body slam for ground types and getting around Taunt), and some combination of Softboiled/Heal Pulse/attacking move.

*primal groudon gently waves*

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Lots of Primal Groudons have been running special sets recently! and after split damage Precipice Blades has almost no chance to 2HKO.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 28, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

mabels big day posted:

this is why i want to play rby

Looking at a couple gameplay videos of those on YouTube just now I'm not sure I can go back to those on the Virtual Console without the Doduo and Dodrio Towers to speed them up... Good Lord does everything move slow.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

less laughter posted:

Looking at a couple gameplay videos of those on YouTube just now I'm not sure I can go back to those on the Virtual Console without the Doduo and Dodrio Towers to speed them up... Good Lord does everything move slow.

Agreed, it was tolerable back in the day but now? Holy poo poo gently caress the walking and grinding in RBY. Also the broken mechanics.

A lot of people poo poo on gen 3 but it added so many quality of life improvements. I couldn't go back past that gen even if Gold is my all time favorite.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like to walk around and talk to NPCs and use whatever Pokemon I like and not waste time on worrying about stats and movesets. :downs:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hopeandjoy posted:

I like to walk around and talk to NPCs and use whatever Pokemon I like and not waste time on worrying about stats and movesets. :downs:

Neat

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

I use Sturdy Avalugg.

He's real and strong and he's my friend.

Mirror Coat on a Sturdy Avalugg is great. And a Rocky Helmet, and Avalanche, and knowing Recover. A fun pokemon to use.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

That Avalugg sounds amazing.

After playing this stupid series on and off since before shinies were even invented, after breeding since G2, I FINALLY get a hatched shiny.

...it's a shiny Drowzee with a neutral nature that happened to come out while I was breeding a living Pokedex slot filler. :saddowns:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cuckoo posted:

Yeah, few Gen 1s survived the power creep and sometimes certain pokemon got flat out hosed by mechanic changes, like Persian's crit nerf or Stealth Rock making 90% of fire/ice/flying types a waste of a slot. The game really would be best with MMO-style balance patches every gen or two.

Oh well, if they keep dishing out mega evolutions to neglected mons that's better than nothing.

EDIT another reason we keep seeing Gen 1s get systematically replaced is because Gamefreak basically releases very similar Pokemon to fulfill very similar roles in each game.

For example Starter Bird was Pidgey, whatever gen 2 was, Starly, Taillow, Fletchling. Midgame Cat was Meowth, Skitty, Glameow, Purrloin.

Using the above example, thanks to Mega Pidgeot you could take your boring brown bird to the big leagues if you wanted to. But before that, there was literally no reason to use it over Starraptor or especially Talonflame. With the cat example Liepard has lovely stats like Persian does, but better typing and a Prankster set that could make it lethal on an Ubers team. Unless Gamefreak gives out mega evos like candy a lot of Pokemon are hardly even worth bringing along in an ingame team.

Gamefreak as a whole has seemed very mired in traditions no matter how poor. Like giving one of their primary three starter types so many weaknesses, Ice never getting a single resistance, HMs, and even stupid things like Ninorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed solely because of a bug in Gen II.

As much as I'd love them to so re-balancing on the fly, that doesn't seem likely.

Oh, and the Gen II boring bird was HootHoot, the absolute worst of all common birds.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Geostomp posted:

Oh, and the Gen II boring bird was HootHoot, the absolute worst of all common birds.

A three stage trash bird? Nah, it was Pidgey. That's Johto for you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hoothoot is my friend and noctowl was better than pre-mega pidgeot

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
As much as I love gen 5, Unfezant is without a doubt the trashiest of trash bird Pokemon.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It wins best name by a longshot though

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Noctowl has a cool deisgn and is one of the few early Pokemon whose gameboy seizure pokemon cry actually sounded good. And yeah Unfezant is criminally bad, especially since its base form is great.

Does anyone have a friend safari with Magmars or Chansies? Trying to build a living Dex and those two aren't easy to find in gens 5/6 :smith:

My FC is 1349 5241 1721. It has ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Filthy Haiku posted:

As much as I love gen 5, Unfezant is without a doubt the trashiest of trash bird Pokemon.

Unfezant is living proof that a great stat sorest can be completely ruined even by ingame standards by a bad move set. Yes, I'd like my bird with 100 base attack and 60 special to not even learn loving Wing Attack or Pexk, but all the special flying moves.

• Locked thread