Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Shows up to the court room, every flag has a gold fringe.

"We're hosed, Ammon."

"Don't worry, when the judge leaves the room we can declare him overboard and you're acquitted!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So have the last guys been arrested or are we still just talking about SovCits in general?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Pretty sure when the feds say "Free to leave" they don't mean amnesty, which is going to be hilariously heartbreaking when the hammer comes down on them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ToastyPotato posted:

Pretty sure when the feds say "Free to leave" they don't mean amnesty, which is going to be hilariously heartbreaking when the hammer comes down on them.

Probably not amnesty since they'll be put on watch lists for the rest of their lives, but it sounds like they're letting the people who haven't made specific threats on camera or have been overtly in charge or have outstanding warrants go home.

This is pretty much the FBI right now since they've never really been interested in going after the smaller fish unless there is an airtight case already in place against them or it leads to bigger fish.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Who What Now posted:

So have the last guys been arrested or are we still just talking about SovCits in general?

Mostly just chatting about them, Ammon is using some language that is a bit sovcit-ish in his press statement.

Last handful are headed towards giving up, I think.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ha so thats why he isnt a prosecutor any more. I figured he just wanted to make more money.

Nevermind, go nuts guy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kazak_Hstan posted:

ha so thats why he isnt a prosecutor any more. I figured he just wanted to make more money.

Nevermind, go nuts guy.

"The government can't control me" and "I want to sleep with teenagers" have about the highest correlation of anything ever

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So there's 4 people left at the refuge now? Of course I miss all the live streams and prank calls when the poo poo finally went down.

...did they leave the dildos behind?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

"The government can't control me" and "I want to sleep with teenagers" have about the highest correlation of anything ever

Isn't there a pretty large segment of pedophiles involved in libertarian / sovcit circles because they want to see the age of consent lowered or even eliminated?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Nevermind, go nuts guy.

Someone posted the police report in this thread somewhere.
It is hilarious and involves myspace stalking.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If bundy says "I want you to put this statement out" and refuses to relent, does the lawyer have to do so?

No, he does not. A criminal defense attorney retains control of matters of strategy. That is, if a client insists that the lawyer cite a certain case in a motion to suppress, or whatever, the lawyer does not have to do that. Same for things like lines of questioning on direct / cross. If / when Ammon tells him to quiz the FBI SAC on what exactly different parts of the con-sti-tu-tion mean, he doesn't have to do that either.

What a criminal defense attorney does not have discretion on, are things that implicate fundamental rights. For instance, the defense attorney has to grant the client's wish to go to trial, take a plea (or, for that matter, a defense lawyer is required to inform the client of a proposed plea, whether he thinks his client will take it or not), and whether to testify at trial.

But things like "you go out there on those court house steps, and you tell the MEDIA that the judge is an ADMIRAL AND A human being," no the lawyer does not have to do that. That's when you tell your client to fire you and go get a lawyer they actually want, and the judge laughs and says "no, you're not withdrawing until he has another lawyer, because I don't want to deal with an out of control pro se defendant."

It gets dicey when your client makes it clear he is going to perjure himself and insists he is going to testify. You can't tell him he can't testify, and you can't ask him question you know he will tell lies in response to because of your ethical obligation of candor to the court. So you basically put him on the stand and say "ok client, tell the jury your story." This is of course after you move to withdraw, and when the judge asks why you say you cannot say, because of course you cannot say "well here are the specific lies my client told me he is going to tell you all," so instead has to default to "I cannot meet my ethical obligations in this case." And the judge again denies the motion because he doesn't want an unrepresented client.

For the sake of the kiddy diddling defense attorney, i hope he got a really big retainer because Ammon Bundy will be a terrible client. I guess it could wind up working out for him if Ammon decides to roll on a bunch of people, but right now he's the biggest fish and you don't trade sharks for tuna.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Takoluka posted:

I hope we woke people up to the Constitution.

What I learned more is that the FBI is a terrific federal body and should receive more funding, particularly to enable it to investigate and pursue right wing terrorist groups.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't there a pretty large segment of pedophiles involved in libertarian / sovcit circles because they want to see the age of consent lowered or even eliminated?

Two annoying libertarians in law school made that argument to me. I don't think enough of them do to paint the whole bunch with the label, but I've heard it more than once so

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Perfectly Safe posted:

What I learned more is that the FBI is a terrific federal body and should receive more funding, particularly to enable it to investigate and pursue right wing terrorist groups.

Man do I have some bad news for you.

http://www.wired.com/2012/08/dhs/

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Two annoying libertarians in law school made that argument to me. I don't think enough of them do to paint the whole bunch with the label, but I've heard it more than once so

I wasn't saying most libertarian / sovcit people are pedophiles, just that the movement attracts pedophiles in large numbers because of their stance on the age of consent.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the "your rules don't apply to me crowd" tend to be people who want to do things the rules prohibit, so they tend to be in favor of some things that society more or less by definition disapproves of.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
lol @ everyone itt jerking off the FBI. I mean, they are easily one of the most incompetent federal law enforcment agencies historically.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

cravius posted:

lol @ everyone itt jerking off the FBI. I mean, they are easily one of the most incompetent federal law enforcment agencies historically.

96.4% of the people they go after would disagree with you there.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

cravius posted:

You calling Fox Mulder incompetent? :toughguy:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

They just took down the White ISIS, though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MariusLecter posted:

You calling Fox Mulder incompetent? :toughguy:

How many cases was he actually able to bring to trial?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

As a Millennial I posted:

They just took down the White ISIS, though.

Ranch Davidiots, please.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stultus Maximus posted:

How many cases was he actually able to bring to trial?

Do you smoke?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

cravius posted:

no, no they really aren't.

Yes, they've had high profile mistakes. But on the whole, they're incredible

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Reddit's a huge :pedophiles: defender. Or they were. Maybe the leadership is finally of the mindset that things like /r/jailbait were in fact really awful things for admins to allow and defend.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty much. If you're being made to show ID to the FBI then even if you aren't getting arrested you're still getting added to a bunch of watchlists and if you are found loving around at any future poo poo like this they are going to drop the hammer on you.

I mean that they're literally going to go back and arrest all of these people for their actions on the refuge. At this point the feds appear to be collecting charges and information sufficient to (if they really want to) apply RICO. "go home" doesn't mean "we won't arrest you for all of this".

Emphasis mine:

quote:

C. MICHAEL ARNOLD
OSB #011873
Eugene
Reprimand

On Jan. 17, 2008, the disciplinary board approved a stipulation for discipline reprimanding Eugene lawyer C. Michael Arnold for violating RPC 8.4(a)(2) (commit a criminal act that reflects adversely on the lawyer’s honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a lawyer in other respects).

Arnold was the prosecutor for the City of Florence at a hearing in which a minor pled guilty to driving under the influence of intoxicants and entered into a diversion agreement. Arnold subsequently contacted the minor, ostensibly for the purpose of checking up on her, and suggested that they meet. Arnold drove the minor to a restaurant and purchased two glasses of wine for her in violation of ORS 471.410(2), which prohibits anyone, other than a parent or guardian, from selling, giving or otherwise making available any alcoholic liquor to a person under the age of 21.

:shittypop: :shittypop: :shittypop: :shittypop: :shittypop:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cravius posted:

Which federal law enforcement agencies would you credit as being most competent?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Diversion is different from how I remember it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

No, he's a loving idiot that can't even manage a 1 KDR on an FPS game.

The one true measure of someone's personal worth and intelligence.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I missed something, why is that guy the only one being charged? Are they the one who was on film openly threatening to murder the feds or what?

Probably he has some kind of history that the others don't. The first people to get arrested were people who had outstanding prior warrants, don't forget.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

cravius posted:

Um, name one better?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Svanja posted:

Lol What the hell. Have the Patriots hit the forums?

I can tell I have Boston traumatic stress disorder because I assumed this was something about deflategate

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

No, he does not. A criminal defense attorney retains control of matters of strategy. That is, if a client insists that the lawyer cite a certain case in a motion to suppress, or whatever, the lawyer does not have to do that. Same for things like lines of questioning on direct / cross. If / when Ammon tells him to quiz the FBI SAC on what exactly different parts of the con-sti-tu-tion mean, he doesn't have to do that either.

What a criminal defense attorney does not have discretion on, are things that implicate fundamental rights. For instance, the defense attorney has to grant the client's wish to go to trial, take a plea (or, for that matter, a defense lawyer is required to inform the client of a proposed plea, whether he thinks his client will take it or not), and whether to testify at trial.

But things like "you go out there on those court house steps, and you tell the MEDIA that the judge is an ADMIRAL AND A human being," no the lawyer does not have to do that. That's when you tell your client to fire you and go get a lawyer they actually want, and the judge laughs and says "no, you're not withdrawing until he has another lawyer, because I don't want to deal with an out of control pro se defendant."

It gets dicey when your client makes it clear he is going to perjure himself and insists he is going to testify. You can't tell him he can't testify, and you can't ask him question you know he will tell lies in response to because of your ethical obligation of candor to the court. So you basically put him on the stand and say "ok client, tell the jury your story." This is of course after you move to withdraw, and when the judge asks why you say you cannot say, because of course you cannot say "well here are the specific lies my client told me he is going to tell you all," so instead has to default to "I cannot meet my ethical obligations in this case." And the judge again denies the motion because he doesn't want an unrepresented client.

For the sake of the kiddy diddling defense attorney, i hope he got a really big retainer because Ammon Bundy will be a terrible client. I guess it could wind up working out for him if Ammon decides to roll on a bunch of people, but right now he's the biggest fish and you don't trade sharks for tuna.

I'm kinda wishing that the lawyer was obligated to do this, because it would be funny as gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grem posted:

Um, name one better?

NIST Police.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Main Paineframe posted:

The one true measure of someone's personal worth and intelligence.

Yeah?

I've seen enough from Black Ops to world of tanks, your stats directly correlate to whether or not you are a mouth breathing moron.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I missed something, why is that guy the only one being charged? Are they the one who was on film openly threatening to murder the feds or what?

Yes, he wasn't just camping yesterday.

On a note completely unrelated to the difficult and somewhat confusing ethical quandary that the remaining occupiers have been put in - 3 of you are ok but we're arresting #4 - the gentlemen currently in federal custody are unlikely to make bail if the occupation at the refuge is still going on. The detention hearing is tomorrow.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering he's their source for a lot of what's being used to charge Bundy and co that's probably already a thing. He's either going to be seen as a plant or outright traitor.

I just kinda assumed that, in his first interview, Pete would lock eyes with the feds and make it crystal loving clear that he would tell them absolutely anything. I can't be alone in this. So yeah, if Pete gets out, then he can expect plenty of empty death threats from people with a grade school command of the english language.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Main Paineframe posted:

Probably he has some kind of history that the others don't. The first people to get arrested were people who had outstanding prior warrants, don't forget.
he's also the one who was calling for reinforcements to come in yesterday, and kill any cops who tried to stop them

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

nm posted:

Someone posted the police report in this thread somewhere.
It is hilarious and involves myspace stalking.

hah, you're not wrong.

quote:

"[City Prosecutor] said he thought, for Michael Arnold to hit on a defendant the second day on the job was a breach of trust ..."

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Saw the interview on NPR mentioned earlier. NPR have a link of it up yet? Searched OPB's site and didn't find anything specific about the interview.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/former-nist-police-officer-sentenced-attempting-manufacture-methamphetamine-causing-0

Like everyone else here I had to google NIST. The subhead we for that press release is worth the click.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

NIST also handles what like a tenth of the workload the FBI does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

96.4% of the people they go after would disagree with you there.

That statistic doesn't mean what you think it means. It means, of people charged, that many were convicted - but that just means that when they don't have enough evidence they don't charge in the first place.

• Locked thread