Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Grem posted:

NIST also handles what like a tenth of the workload the FBI does?

NIST are the guys who manage standards of various sorts, like weights, measurements and timekeeping. For instance time.gov is the official time of the United States and they run that server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

No, he does not. A criminal defense attorney retains control of matters of strategy. That is, if a client insists that the lawyer cite a certain case in a motion to suppress, or whatever, the lawyer does not have to do that. Same for things like lines of questioning on direct / cross. If / when Ammon tells him to quiz the FBI SAC on what exactly different parts of the con-sti-tu-tion mean, he doesn't have to do that either.

What a criminal defense attorney does not have discretion on, are things that implicate fundamental rights. For instance, the defense attorney has to grant the client's wish to go to trial, take a plea (or, for that matter, a defense lawyer is required to inform the client of a proposed plea, whether he thinks his client will take it or not), and whether to testify at trial.

But things like "you go out there on those court house steps, and you tell the MEDIA that the judge is an ADMIRAL AND A human being," no the lawyer does not have to do that. That's when you tell your client to fire you and go get a lawyer they actually want, and the judge laughs and says "no, you're not withdrawing until he has another lawyer, because I don't want to deal with an out of control pro se defendant."

It gets dicey when your client makes it clear he is going to perjure himself and insists he is going to testify. You can't tell him he can't testify, and you can't ask him question you know he will tell lies in response to because of your ethical obligation of candor to the court. So you basically put him on the stand and say "ok client, tell the jury your story." This is of course after you move to withdraw, and when the judge asks why you say you cannot say, because of course you cannot say "well here are the specific lies my client told me he is going to tell you all," so instead has to default to "I cannot meet my ethical obligations in this case." And the judge again denies the motion because he doesn't want an unrepresented client.

For the sake of the kiddy diddling defense attorney, i hope he got a really big retainer because Ammon Bundy will be a terrible client. I guess it could wind up working out for him if Ammon decides to roll on a bunch of people, but right now he's the biggest fish and you don't trade sharks for tuna.
Thank you for repeatedly bringing actual knowledge and experience to this thread where the rest of us (or maybe just me) just kinda make poo poo up based on what we've seen on the tv.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
4 people left. 1 has an outstanding warrant and is loving insane so he will probably go down shooting, don't know about the rest.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
"An Admiral and a human being" is my favorite 1980s Navy romance movie.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Abner Cadaver II posted:

"An Admiral and a human being" is my favorite 1980s Navy romance movie.

Not to be confused with the 1980's Navy romantic movie "An Airman and a human being".

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Of the four people left, I'm aware of the screaming guy with the warrant (Sean Anderson), his wife, and David Fry. Do we have any details on the fourth guy?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

As a Millennial I posted:

Of the four people left, I'm aware of the screaming guy with the warrant (Sean Anderson), his wife, and David Fry. Do we have any details on the fourth guy?

A, John James Rambo. Supposed Vietnam vet and green beret. Records sealed by Raegan.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Grem posted:

Um, name one better?

DEA

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

sparatuvs posted:

4 people left. 1 has an outstanding warrant and is loving insane so he will probably go down shooting, don't know about the rest.

What, Tubby Tubberson? The guy's an utter coward, he's got his wife and unborn child there and he's neither insisted that she go nor given himself up to ensure that she's safe. There's only one thing that he'll be firing off, and it's not rounds.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Drugs are good, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Perfectly Safe posted:

What, Tubby Tubberson? The guy's an utter coward, he's got his wife and unborn child there and he's neither insisted that she go nor given himself up to ensure that she's safe. There's only one thing that he'll be firing off, and it's not rounds.

Goes by the name Hambo.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I feel really bad for whatever public defender(s) draw the short straw and have to defend Ryan Bundy and the rest. They are going to be trying to pull all sorts of SovCit BS and a couple might even insist on defending themselves pro se.

I feel like whoever draws Pete Santilli will be the lucky one though, as I'm certain that Pete is singing like a canary and is all about cutting a plea deal. If that happens I doubt it will be a particularly good bargain for Pete though, he might be offered nothing more than a more comfortable concrete box to spend the rest of his life in

Comedy Opti9n; Peye's broadcasts are so damming that the FBI doesn't see any need to cut any deals, so they just throw the book at all of them and call it a day.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

An OPB reporter says his name is Jeff Banta.

Sean won't go to jail for the life of his pregnant wife, oh my god.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 28, 2016

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

I feel really bad for whatever public defender(s) draw the short straw and have to defend Ryan Bundy and the rest. They are going to be trying to pull all sorts of SovCit BS and a couple might even insist on defending themselves pro se.

I feel like whoever draws Pete Santilli will be the lucky one though, as I'm certain that Pete is singing like a canary and is all about cutting a plea deal. If that happens I doubt it will be a particularly good bargain for Pete though, he might be offered nothing more than a more comfortable concrete box to spend the rest of his life in

Comedy Opti9n; Peye's broadcasts are so damming that the FBI doesn't see any need to cut any deals, so they just throw the book at all of them and call it a day.

So if the guy cooperating is getting life, what do you anticipate the sentences for the rest of them to be?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

1337JiveTurkey posted:

NIST are the guys who manage standards of various sorts, like weights, measurements and timekeeping. For instance time.gov is the official time of the United States and they run that server.

They also have a police force for some reason :shrug:

DEA...the war on drugs has been going pretty great!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Prester Jane posted:

none of them have been charged with crimes that would come close to life in prison, and while the various crimes they have committed could add up to quite a while if served consecutively, they won't be

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Prester Jane posted:

I think this is about right. He's in the unfortunate position of having broadcast just tons of evidence daily on the internet, and so is possibly going to be the first person ever to receive a prison sentence and the Meritous Achievement medal on the same day. He might be able to finger a few other people, though - say, for acts of harassment and vandalism around Burns.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Prester Jane posted:

Pete's case is going to be the most interesting because we might get to see just how far Freedom of the Press will stretch. Surely not as far as he thinks, but it sounds like that's the road he's taking all the way to the end.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Grem posted:

They also have a police force for some reason :shrug:

DEA...the war on drugs has been going pretty great!

They execute their investigations in a more effective manner. HTH friend!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wish I had more free time, I'd be editing some of the streams audio into scenes from The Wire :( sooooo many opportunities for a good "guy from interstellar watches x" style vids.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 28, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Grem posted:

Um, name one better?

USPIS :911:

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Grem posted:

Pete's case is going to be the most interesting because we might get to see just how far Freedom of the Press will stretch. Surely not as far as he thinks, but it sounds like that's the road he's taking all the way to the end.

Yeah, I think he'd have had a better chance had he not been instructing Cooper on what to do on the phone just before he was arrested. That really was a moment when he was demonstrably all the way inside the group and in a position of authority.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Perfectly Safe posted:

The guy who called for everyone to rise up and kill anyone who tried to stop them coming to the refuge?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sparatuvs posted:

The guy who called for everyone to rise up and kill anyone who tried to stop them coming to the refuge?

Formerly.

Currently Tubby "We were just camping. We didn't hurt nobody" Tubberson.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Perfectly Safe posted:

So yeah, if Pete gets out, then he can expect plenty of empty death threats from people with a grade school command of the english language.

Optimist.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to be confused with the 1980's Navy romantic movie "An Airman and a human being".

Please be top gun please be top gun please be top gu yessssss

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grem posted:

The SCOTUS would 9-0 rule against Pete if he could appeal enough to reach them. He was very much an active part of the occupation and not someone who was there to report. While I'm sure the FBI wants to thank him for producing tons of video evidence they can use to prosecute the Bundy bros and others it doesn't absolve him of his very clear involvement or his attempts to be a leader in the activity.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

sparatuvs posted:

Yes, we're talking about the same guy. The guy who today is pretending that they're just camping because things have got a tiny, tiny bit more real. The extraordinarily cowardly guy.

As it turns out, there are rather a lot of people in the militia movement who have constructed tough guy personae for themselves that crumble under the least bit of pressure.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"Airmen" are in the USAF, Navy plane drivers are "aviators." That's literally the only thing I know about the military.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Navy plane drivers. :buddy:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Homoerotic Volleyball and Some Planes (1986)

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

"Airmen" are in the USAF, Navy plane drivers are "aviators." That's literally the only thing I know about the military.

Which means that you're still better informed than III% of those yeehawdists.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Perfectly Safe posted:

Yes, we're talking about the same guy. The guy who today is pretending that they're just camping because things have got a tiny, tiny bit more real. The extraordinarily cowardly guy.

As it turns out, there are rather a lot of people in the militia movement who have constructed tough guy personae for themselves that crumble under the least bit of pressure.

I just want to reiterate that Tubby Tubberson is the best part of this entire shitshow, will be the part that most people remember, and is really the embodiment of the entire movement. Maybe only 5% are actually willing to die for the cause like Tarp Bro, the rest are just bloviating cowards.

I just can't get over how quickly he changed his tune once he realized the calvary wasn't coming and there was no way for him to win. Because the calvary is just as chickenshit as he is. Every idiot patriot talks a big game on Facebook, but none of them lifted a finger when they actually had the chance to 'revolt' or whatever.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Grem posted:

The 1st doesn't cover you committing illegal acts, which he did on a lot of his videos. That defense would be about as successful as the sovcits flag fringe BS.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I oppose life in prison for all crimes, and I think it's a travesty if any of these people get anything close to it. Some goons whining earlier about the max sentence for the initial charge being six years need somekind of perspective alignment. Six years is an insanely long time in loving prison and is around the max time anyone would spend in prison for anything in more civilized countries. Maybe people find it a "slap On the wrist" when other sentences are loving insanities of decades, but no one sits in federal prison for six years and thinks how easy they got off.

I despise these yokels as much as anyone and view them as domestic terrorists. Still, they deserve human and sensible sentences which this country doesn't do in its retardation.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 28, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

cravius posted:

So if the guy cooperating is getting life, what do you anticipate the sentences for the rest of them to be?

IANAL so I am just taking a swing in the dark here. I don't expect Pete to get a literal life sentence, but at 47 years old a 25-30 year sentence is pretty much a life sentence.

As for the others, hard to say and I think that really depends on just what went down at the refuge that we don't know about yet. On top of the obvious stuff like standing around with guns on federal property, a bunch of them harassed locals and made threats, they destroyed an rear end load of public property. They almost certainly damaged Native American archaeological sights. (One of the fences they tore down to build a road was specifically to keep Malheur workers from walking through/driving over several identifies sites) They brought explosives onto the compound and I expect that at least one rear end in a top hat tried to make an IED. They hacked into government computers and filmed themselves doing it. There are almost certainly numerous illegal firearms/modifications/mils url supplies that only came out of their hiding place because their owners thought this was the start of the rebellion they had been saving them for. And there are almost certainly other crimes that we haven't even thought of that they committed while they were at the refuge.

I expect some of the guys in their 30's might see daylight again, but Ammon/Ryan are probably going away forever.

On top of that, there is a very good chance that their SovCit shenanigans will probably piss off the judge/sabotage whatever defense they might have had. Ammon has already poo poo in the punch bowl when he called his wife and told her that tarpman had been executed while surrendering with his hands up. (Which is causing so much outrage/heightened security concerns that the FBI is currently mulling over releasing the video footage, something they normally would not do.)

In short the FBI is very likely to bring the hammer down on this one. Not only are these guys criminals, but they have done a bunch of the poo poo that particularly pissed off the Feds.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Vahakyla posted:

I oppose life in prison for all crimes, and I think it's a travesty if any of these people get anything close to it.
I don't.

It could be, that for some people, the purpose of life is to serve as a warning to others.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's right. We get tough on crime.

...literally no one on the outside goes "oh only six years? Worth it, my turn"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Okay do we REALLY need to make this the thread where we debate the cruelty of life without parole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vahakyla posted:

That's right. We get tough on crime.

...literally no one on the outside goes "oh only six years? Worth it, my turn"

Tell us more about the sort of light sentence you'd have given someone like McVeigh. :allears:
(Don't do this, because we don't care)

• Locked thread