Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In neutral does it work with the clutch released, though? Likely not your issue, but when I had a starting issue I never tried starting in N but with the clutch released, because I'm mentally ingrained that the clutch MUST be depressed when not moving no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
10A IGN fuse was blown, swapped it with the horn fuse and the oil light comes on now in addition to what was previously working, but still no starter. I've tried to start it in first with clutch in, neutral with clutch in and out, all with no response from the starter at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it was all working when you took it apart, then you put it back together and found a blown fuse, you probably shorted something out somewhere. Triple-check all your wiring.

e: and check the fuse that you just swapped in -- it might have already popped if there was a wiring problem and you didn't fix it before trying again

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Question about Lithium Ion batteries. (Shorai in particular)

I've been using a Battery Tender to charge my Shorai but hardly holds a charge. I really need to get a charger that is Li compatible.
I'm leaning toward the official Shorai charger, but I've just now been informed about the NOCO "Genius" chargers. Would those be comparable to the Shorai charger?
I was looking at the charger on their website, and I noticed it had a "Li Battery Mode" but it didn't have a "Li Storage" mode (which keeps the battery at a 60% charge)

Has anyone had any experience with the Genius chargers on Li batteries?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have tended to stay away from lithium-ion vehicle batteries in general since z3n pointed me to this post

kastein posted:

Alright, I'm going to do something I rarely do now and poo poo all over a specific brand of aftermarket automotive component. Mostly because the level of ignorance and/or disregard for customers displayed in this product is... shocking.

I should note this is my personal opinion, and in no way connected with my employer.

Braille Batteries - gently caress you.

We start with our patient, a Braille ML7 family lithium ion racing battery which has failed: (I have four or five of these sitting here failed, ordered over the course of several years. This is not an isolated example.)

Since it's junk anyways and the engine manufacturer prohibits the use of lithium ion batteries unless they contain a charge balancing circuit I might as well find out why my $400 racing battery failed, right? Time to void that long-expired warranty and crack this sucker open.

Oh.
(Yes, the filament tape was cut by me.)
I'm seeing a lot of hamfuckery going on in here...

The vent is installed using what appears to be large gobs of gel cyanoacrylate. They didn't even get full coverage, there are gaps in a few spots.

Oh dear. :stare:

The terminal wires appear to have been soldered by me when I was nine. That looks remarkably like filament tape someone bought at the post office and electrical tape purchased at home depot, as well.
And what the gently caress is up with a 6ga wire in parallel with a 12ga wire? Just use the right size in the first place.

:wtf:

The nickel terminal strips seem to have been cut with a set of rescue scissors and a loose idea of what size they need to be rather than any sort of machine or die. The terminal spotwelding appears to have been done by a drunk or someone suffering from Parkinsons and the holes "drilled" (I'm being rather generous here) in them for positive terminal alignment appear as if they were chewed out by a rabid badger.

Other end of the pack.

Wait a minute, is that a logo I recognize?

Yes it is.

Southwire THHN. Excellent wire for home/commercial building plant wiring, not so much for a loving race battery.

One wrap of filament tape holding the whole shebang together before it gets jammed into the case.

And most importantly - ZERO evidence of any sort of charge balancing/management hardware. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Not only that, there are no inter-cell taps connected to a small charge balancing controller connector on the outside of the case, either. You can't do that with lithium batteries. They MUST be charge balanced regularly. If you don't, one set of cells will fully discharge and become impossible to recharge and/or present a fire risk. Every reputable manufacturer of lithium batteries for motorsport either builds one into their pack or provides a connector to which one can be attached occasionally to rebalance the cells before any dip below minimum charge.

The best part? Braille states that for optimal battery lifetime you should regularly use their charge balancing unit. Which is nice and all, but it connects to the same two external connectors any other charger does, and doesn't have access to the inter-cell taps since they didn't wire any such thing up, so it's physically impossible for it to determine if the cells are unbalanced, nevermind balancing them. Pure snake oil.

Even the guy in Florida home-building his battery housings from clear plexiglas and selling them from a website that looks like it belongs in 1993 on Geocities knows enough to build better battery packs than this. I'm disgusted - by Braille, not the other guy, he seems to have gotten the electronics right if not the packaging.

Cell pair voltages for this pack at present, positive to negative: 3.656V, 3.662V, 3.710V, 0.291V. One of these things is not like the others! (I wonder which pair of cells failed...)

Guess what? The best condition pack I had left caught loving fire today. Wish I had pictures of it for effect, but it was basically unrecognizable and got whipped into a dumpster and vigorously assaulted with a garden hose and is now gone.

Buy better lithium batteries that either explicitly state they contain a charge balancing circuit or have an external connector for one - unless you want to risk a fire and experience vastly reduced starting battery lifetime. Then, Braille batteries are right for you! :thumbsup:

No idea if Shorai is any better, but I don't want to take the chance just to save three or four pounds.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We had one customer with a Shorai (the only bike we've yet seen in some long term service with a lithium I think, aside from race bikes belonging to people we know) and he had a couple of them fail in a row on him.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just take an extra big poo poo before you ride and skip the lithium batteries

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

DevCore posted:

Question about Lithium Ion batteries. (Shorai in particular)

I've been using a Battery Tender to charge my Shorai but hardly holds a charge. I really need to get a charger that is Li compatible.
I'm leaning toward the official Shorai charger, but I've just now been informed about the NOCO "Genius" chargers. Would those be comparable to the Shorai charger?
I was looking at the charger on their website, and I noticed it had a "Li Battery Mode" but it didn't have a "Li Storage" mode (which keeps the battery at a 60% charge)

Has anyone had any experience with the Genius chargers on Li batteries?

You're not supposed to keep LiFePo batteries on a regular charger. This thread on advrider is the best thing I've found on the internet about batteries but it's dense. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycle-batteries-agm-gel-wet-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4.757934/ the summary is: if LiFePo, buy the biggest earthx that will fit.

Anecdote: I have had a shorai for a year and it's been fine. They need to warm up in the cold but it doesn't really lose charge in the same way regular batteries do.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Quick q, do I need a damper rod holder to swap springs on upside down forks? The guide I'm looking at makes it seem like I do, but only for reassembly - just wanted to make sure I'm reading it right.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Damper rod holder? No, you can use your fingers. You do need to make the Y looking thing that goes under the top lock nut though. Also need something to compress the fork spring.

I use these:

It's a two person job, one person being fairly heavy or strong. Screw your rebound adjuster down to the last click before you take the fork apart. This will save you from a wtf moment when you lose track of how far the fork cap was supposed to be screwed down when reassembly. Changing that will change the amount of clicks / turns in to out you have. Been there, hosed that up.

Holy poo poo that was a lot of edits. Sorry.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 27, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've got the racetech compressor. Not sure about the Y thing though. Going by this guide, so if there's anything off lemme know -- I can't find any other guides that are better illustrated.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, you've got the baller compressor. Don't need the Y thing and it can be done by yourself. Nice.

1. Screw in your rebound adjuster
2. Crack the fork caps loose
3. Take the forks off the bike
4. Unscrew the fork caps all the way, drop the fork body down
5. Push down the preload plastic piece (this is called a preload spacer) with your fork spring compressor
6. Crack the lock nut below the fork cap and unscrew the fork cap, take it off and set it aside. The rebound adjuster is the long fucker in the center
7. Let the pressure off the fork springs
8. Dump the poo poo in the inside out, pump the rebound rod to empty the fork
9. Fill fork with fluid, pump rebound rod to get out all of the air - SLOWLY
10. Compress fork, suck out fluid to the fork oil level you want - this is measured from the top down so 100mm fork oil level means there is a gap of 100mm between the top and where the oil sits
11. Drop springs in
12. Recompress preload piece + springs
13. Thread fork cap on and bottom it out lightly, then bring the lock nut up and get it all tight
14. You know the rest

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 27, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We've only sold a few Shorais and have had mixed feedback. My favorite, though, was a guy swearing up and down that it's perfectly fine to use a lead-acid charger on a lithium battery. Claims he called Shorai and they recommended just using a started Battery Tender Jr. (not their $80+ charger). So, clearly, the battery was defective and we should refund him after he killed it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife's Shorai doesn't have me sold. I can leave the Ulysses in the cold garage for 3 months on a regular Harley battery and it fires right up; the Shorai can barely push the Beemer's engine over after sitting for a week, needs to be on the fancy Shorai tender all the time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I plan to use a lithium on a race bike this summer. Other than that they seem pointless.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What should I use to get an old tank pad off? Something that'll destroy the glue but not eat the paintwork, I'm guessing alcohol?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

clutchpuck posted:

My wife's Shorai doesn't have me sold. I can leave the Ulysses in the cold garage for 3 months on a regular Harley battery and it fires right up; the Shorai can barely push the Beemer's engine over after sitting for a week, needs to be on the fancy Shorai tender all the time.

Is this after trying to crank for a while/turning the headlight on to warm the battery?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

What should I use to get an old tank pad off? Something that'll destroy the glue but not eat the paintwork, I'm guessing alcohol?

Heat and a plastic scraper will be the safest.

It's hard to say what solvent will work properly without knowing what kind of glue it is. The more likely it is to dissolve the glue, the more likely it is to also dissolve the paint.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Concur with heat and plastic scraper to get the worst off, but WD40* and alcohol** is great for glue and doesn't hurt the paint*** when you just give it a quick rub with a soft cloth and rinse afterwards.

* shut up about water displacement
** avoid vintage wines and paint thinner
*** don't sue me if it does

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Lighter fluid, like the stuff for zippo lighters, is my go-to for gentle adhesive removal. It's good for removing grease, tar flecks and stuff, evaporates quickly without leaving a residue.

If it's cold where you are I'd also warm everything up with a hair dryer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The escalation process for getting rid of stickers is hot soapy water on a sponge held against it for a minute or two, then zippo fuel, then isopropyl, then ether-based contact cleaner (this is the most likely to bugger up your lacquer so it's your last resort).

Alternatively most art or photographic supply shops should be able to sell you adhesive remover which works well but is pretty pricey.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Pope Mobile posted:

We've only sold a few Shorais and have had mixed feedback. My favorite, though, was a guy swearing up and down that it's perfectly fine to use a lead-acid charger on a lithium battery. Claims he called Shorai and they recommended just using a started Battery Tender Jr. (not their $80+ charger). So, clearly, the battery was defective and we should refund him after he killed it.

Uhh, maybe I misunderstand but it looks like http://shoraipower.com/about-us agrees with your angry customer, in writing. I mean, I'm sure their charger is better for it but it looks like lead-acid chargers are compatible.

No one take my word on that interpretation, though, I might be missing something.

edit: Thanks to builds character, I understand now what the customer hosed up on. That being said, given that customer's orders, I would've done the same gently caress-up but it'd have been my fault.

Verge fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 28, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

Uhh, maybe I misunderstand but it looks like http://shoraipower.com/about-us agrees with your angry customer, in writing. I mean, I'm sure their charger is better for it but it looks like lead-acid chargers are compatible.

No one take my word on that interpretation, though, I might be missing something.

You should read that thread I posted earlier. You can charge them with regular chargers but you can't leave them on a charger forever.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
What is the goon opinion on oscillating headlights? The original owner had one set up for the highbeam on my ninja, if I weren't too lazy to dig into it I think I would have taken it off by now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't mind them, they're just one more thing you can do to be more visible.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

builds character posted:

You should read that thread I posted earlier. You can charge them with regular chargers but you can't leave them on a charger forever.

Thanks, dawg. I was fuckin' up LiFePO4 and LiPo: generalizing them in my head as Li-ion. LFPs are fuckin' weird. Now I understand, thank you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
gently caress I missed all the battery chat and I'm too lazy to go back and re-quote everything.

Everyone should have one of these though: http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Multi-Functional-Portable-External-Flashlight/dp/B00O1T056A

This is more suited for bieks: (and $30 cheaper)
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B00T2GT9L4/ref=pd_sim_263_2

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress I missed all the battery chat and I'm too lazy to go back and re-quote everything.

Everyone should have one of these though: http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Multi-Functional-Portable-External-Flashlight/dp/B00O1T056A

This is more suited for bieks: (and $30 cheaper)
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B00T2GT9L4/ref=pd_sim_263_2

Seconding this. That's what I have and they're good and work. They also charge your phone too, which is probably 4/5 of the use they've gotten from me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Need to replace the (rider) footpegs on my Hawk GT. Anyone got any recommendations?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Need to replace the (rider) footpegs on my Hawk GT. Anyone got any recommendations?

linked

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Me too, same bike. From my research, I can't find anything that is a direct plug n play. Your best bet is probably to get some RC51 or CBR600RR pegs and grind or file them to fit. You can also use passenger pegs. Don't buy any cheap new ebay ones, they break. Are you looking for rubber-top pegs or metal?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I think that everything is going to require some grinding, that's normal. Just looking for something that won't require *too* much modification, and that will sit at the right angle.

Don't really care whether they're rubber or metal, as long as the metal has a grippy surface. Certainly don't want anything pointy and chrome :v:

VFR and CBR pegs look like close fits, yeah. VFRs are closer. When you say "cheap eBay pegs," what's your definition? Every kind of peg is available on eBay at every price point from $5 to $200. What should I be looking to pay to get decent ones? Or do you mean I should go OEM only?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

VFR and CBR pegs look like close fits, yeah. VFRs are closer. When you say "cheap eBay pegs," what's your definition? Every kind of peg is available on eBay at every price point from $5 to $200. What should I be looking to pay to get decent ones? Or do you mean I should go OEM only?

I would avoid anything that is new and is not OEM. Try passenger pegs from a CBR, many people remove them so there are literally hundreds on ebay for cheap. As far as new quality pegs, not sure what a good brand is, but they'd be pricey.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Chinese pot metal on the right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cool. I just bought some OEM VFR passenger pegs for $30. We'll see how much modification they need once they arrive, but if all else fails, I've got a mill and an AC TIG :madmax:

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Stupid question incoming :

I'm a new rider and coming from a diesel car, so I'm in the dark at what my normal operating rpm? Should I be trying to keep my rpm less than 2500 when I'm going straight down the road and not accelerating, or is cruising at 5-6k a normal range?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

my 400 doesn't drop below 5k+ until I hit a stop light

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
watch the speedometer, not the tach, and give it hell without egregiously breaking the laws

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I mean, it depends on the bike. My ninja 250 cruised at like 9k, my sv650 likes 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pikey posted:

Stupid question incoming :

I'm a new rider and coming from a diesel car, so I'm in the dark at what my normal operating rpm? Should I be trying to keep my rpm less than 2500 when I'm going straight down the road and not accelerating, or is cruising at 5-6k a normal range?

We'd have to know what bike. Twin, single, i4, v4, parallel twin, weird rear end BMW boxer engine, etc. Generally if you're cruising at <3/4 of your maximum rpm then you're fine. Plenty of bikes are happy to sit at a higher percentage than that without breaking, some aren't

My FZ6 probably makes half a horsepower at 2500, but it's perfectly happy to do 80mph at 7k all day. I think peak hp is ~12500 and rev limiter is ~14500 anyways.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 29, 2016