Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Iron Crowned posted:

I've always wondered why anyone gives a poo poo about Pantera. To me they've always seemed like some kind of Fisher Price toy in music form.

Did people have a similar reaction to Pantera in the 90's as we do currently to Five Finger Death Punch? And then after Dimebag ate a bullet people started idolizing the good old days? I ask because the self-image the two bands put forth is pretty much loving identical TBQH. Band photos are like dead on, plus they're both groove/thrash subgenre, same general tough-guy philosopher lyricals, etc.

Pantera had much better guitar parts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I've always wondered why anyone gives a poo poo about Pantera. To me they've always seemed like some kind of Fisher Price toy in music form.

Don't give a poo poo about Pantera outside of using it as a reference point to know who to avoid, usually. I do like Down though but now they come out of rotation. gently caress off, Phil.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Did people have a similar reaction to Pantera in the 90's as we do currently to Five Finger Death Punch? And then after Dimebag ate a bullet people started idolizing the good old days? I ask because the self-image the two bands put forth is pretty much loving identical TBQH. Band photos are like dead on, plus they're both groove/thrash subgenre, same general tough-guy philosopher lyricals, etc.

I want to say that while the band was still around they caught a lot more flack than they did after the breakup and Dimebag's death. Nostalgia bounce and all that.

I always had Lamb of God as the second coming of Pantera though, still kinda do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pantera are awful and Anselmo is the worst frontman ever but I appreciate what he's done for other bands in his post-Pantera career.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DeusExMachinima posted:

Eh, "Far Beyond Driven" was pretty much a required album in high school. Of course then I discovered Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest, and everything changed.

I also pretty much also now use Pantera/Dimebag as a litmus test as to who I should avoid.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DeusExMachinima posted:

Pantera also didn't ruin "House of the Rising Sun".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DeusExMachinima posted:

Did people have a similar reaction to Pantera in the 90's as we do currently to Five Finger Death Punch?

Somewhat yeah. They weren't on the radio as much but they were definitely seen as a trailer trash/jock act for people who'd just got into metal via the black album. But they also kinda faded out of popular consciousness fairly quickly after Far Beyond Driven. Dimebag was always in various guitar magazines, so a lot of his legacy stems from that.

I think a lot of the attitude at the time comes from them being pretty much the only massively popular metal band other than Metallica for a good while. This is just in America though; no clue what people in Europe or wherever thought about them at the time.

e: If you lived in the south, there was a good 15 year period there where you'd see at least one Pantera knockoff local opener at any given show.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
This European metalhead never knew or cared one way or the other about Pantera. To this day I wouldn't recognize any of their songs if I heard them.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here's a kind of cool thing.

https://barbarianwrath.bandcamp.com/album/barbarian-wrath-2014-the-return

its a free compilation album that showcases some of what Barbarian Wrath is doing, so if you're looking for new tunes you check it out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Stars War posted:

Hating on Pantera means you're taking them waaaay too seriously
lol no, hating on Pantera means not loving liking Pantera, because they're not a very likable band, serious or no.

MrBling posted:

its a free compilation album that showcases some of what Barbarian Wrath is doing, so if you're looking for new tunes you check it out.

I'm on the second track and can already confirm this is a loving pro click.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 28, 2016

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Robophile posted:

I'm admittedly a bit of a sucker for the current trend of cavernous death metal production, but I also think this track from Altarage is genuinely pretty badass. Also, strong contender for artwork of the year.

Very cool, thanks for this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Pantera had some killer riffs on Cowboys from Hell and Trendkill was my weight room album for a good stretch of high school.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
great southern trendkill was cool because phil was well into his heroin addiction and he fed it by bringing seth putnam into the fold to add "additional screams" on the album

phils got some pipes at least, i always dig the intro to tgstk

gently caress all their ballads though (this is true for all bands)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Cowboys from Hell was the coolest song I'd ever heard when I was 15 but I'm sad to say it does not hold up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The rear end Stooge posted:

Cowboys from Hell was the coolest song I'd ever heard when I was 15 but I'm sad to say it does not hold up

Most things that I thought were awesome at 15 certainly don't.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MrBling posted:

This is pretty sweet.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Metalsucks wrote an editorial about it and the comments are a real treat

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

great southern trendkill was cool because phil was well into his heroin addiction and he fed it by bringing seth putnam into the fold to add "additional screams" on the album

phils got some pipes at least, i always dig the intro to tgstk

gently caress all their ballads though (this is true for all bands)

Does Cemetery Gates count as a bald? Because that's the only song I know where Phil sounds good.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Metalsucks wrote an editorial about it and the comments are a real treat

I never tire of seeing people yelling some variant of "he can say whatever he wants, quit whining!" without a hint of irony.

Edit: Uh, did every post just change to THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST x20 for a few minutes for anyone else?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 28, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Yeah guys ballads all suck. I mean like Fade to Black? Nothing Else Matters? Step up your game Metallica. :smug:

Cemetery Gates is great, fix your objectively wrong tastes. But the songs with Phil's screamo reminds me how much I appreciate Children of Bodom circa 1997-2003.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does Cemetery Gates count as a bald? Because that's the only song I know where Phil sounds good.
It doesn't count since it's a masterpiece.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah guys ballads all suck. I mean like Fade to Black? Nothing Else Matters? Step up your game Metallica. :smug:

Cemetery Gates is great, fix your objectively wrong tastes. But the songs with Phil's screamo reminds me how much I appreciate Children of Bodom circa 1997-2003.

Fade to Black is a normal song that just takes a while to get started. Nothing Else Matters is p lame.

I wouldn't say I'm a Pantera fan at all but Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are both pretty good albums. Not as good as Metal Magic though :troll:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Look man I really like a good ballad too, but those songs are a really piss-poor argument.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I thought Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde" was a great ballad when I was 15 and lonely.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

symbolic posted:

I thought Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde" Helloween's "Forever and One" was a great ballad when I was 15 and lonely.
Same

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those were the songs you used to impress your crush that, "hey, im not a total freak and listen to screamy music all the time".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
everything after master of puppets is a waste of time

e: nah ajfa is still ok

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

muike posted:

everything after master of puppets is a waste of time

e: nah ajfa is still ok

I think the Black Album is mostly pretty good, and Load and Reload would be fine as one record with best stuff from each making up the tracklist. But St.Anger is loving awful, and Death Magnetic is just straight up BORING.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2018

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Screamin' Jay Hawkins was first.

Nordick posted:

Look man I really like a good ballad too, but those songs are a really piss-poor argument.

We come all this way mostly liking the same cheesy power metal and then you gotta be so wrong like this. drat shame.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
here's my hot take: i've listened to pantera more than coroner

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DeusExMachinima posted:

Screamin' Jay Hawkins was first.

Anything after Hawkins and Arthur Brown is false metal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

muike posted:

Me too, but mostly because I only listened to like 8 bands in junior high school and now my music collection has about 1500 artists in it

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Please don't trigger me by incorrectly using this term

muike posted:

hosed up if true

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gamma Nerd posted:

Please don't trigger me by incorrectly using this term

Glad I'm not alone in this

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
skramz

;-*

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

Me too, but mostly because I only listened to like 8 bands in junior high school and now my music collection has about 1500 artists in it
God, I remember listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica in junior high and thinking this was the best that metal could get.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
In middle school I got into Morbid Angel and Napalm Death and stuff via the brief moment in the early 90s when Headbanger's Ball would play a couple decent videos at the end of the night, then it spiraled out from there because I had a checking account and found out about direct mail-order from labels.

For a while we had a half-decent record store inside a Radio Shack of all places that carried tons of import cds stuff, and a couple dudes who worked there knew their poo poo. I did have to get my mom to drive me to the Christian bookstore to pick up Scrolls of the Megilloth though.

muike posted:

You should listen to more Coroner

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

itt we all post our burned CD playlist ca. 2006 (or whenever the gently caress you were in high school).

Stratovarius came on my iPhone mix today and I was immediately triggered with memories from working at loving Staples of all places. I don't know why I associate that band with loving Staples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

itt we all post our burned CD playlist ca. 2006 (or whenever the gently caress you were in high school).

CD burners were still like $500 when I graduated high school.