Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Scotland being divided into the Highlands (same group as Irish) and Lowlands (same group as the English). Welsh rolled into English group as well. Hungarian being split into Hungarian and Slovak. Romanian is folded into Hungarian group. Those are probably the most noticeable changes.

Oh yeah and Aquitanian apparently folded into Gascon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry if this sounds dumb but if you don't give a drat about the namesake of the Cossacks expansion, is there any big reasons to pick it up regardless?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

welsh getting rolled into the english cultural group is a crime against humanity, EU4 uninstalled

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SkySteak posted:

Sorry if this sounds dumb but if you don't give a drat about the namesake of the Cossacks expansion, is there any big reasons to pick it up regardless?

Improved diplomacy (set opinion, trust, favors) and Estates are the big things.

Opinions vary on Estates pretty widely. I think they feel a little... detached(?) and fiddly, but you can definitely get some value out of them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

SkySteak posted:

New comet option.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I just saw Poland reject the Lithuania pu twice in a row while rerunning a TO ironman game. that seems wrong or very lucky

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I remember someone mentioning this earlier in the thread: I'm also seeing the allies of enemies join in on wars despite being ten or more on the negative side to joining. Is this supposed to happen?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

welsh getting rolled into the english cultural group is a crime against humanity, EU4 uninstalled

I guess it kind of makes sense if culture groups are more about legal traditions and tolerance of rulers? The Welsh and Scots aristocracy was pretty much totally Anglicised by the start of EU4, right? Will also be an incentive to keep those cultures around rather than converting them to English, which will be nice to see. And Scots can be pushed into Ireland instead of English, like in the Ulster Plantations

e: oh wait, Scottish was already in the same culture group as English

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 29, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I remember someone mentioning this earlier in the thread: I'm also seeing the allies of enemies join in on wars despite being ten or more on the negative side to joining. Is this supposed to happen?

There seems to be some bug in the calculations. At slight negatives they still answer the call, at high negatives they don't. The little checkmark indicator seems to be correct.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Fintilgin posted:

Improved diplomacy (set opinion, trust, favors) and Estates are the big things.

Opinions vary on Estates pretty widely. I think they feel a little... detached(?) and fiddly, but you can definitely get some value out of them.

I thought that the estates were boring in 1.14, but the new patch improves them a lot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, this is the first time I've encountered this.

First time I've seen a fantasy element in the random new world with fantasy scenarios set to "rare." This is over four times the production of the next-best gold mine in the world.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pakled posted:

First time I've seen a fantasy element in the random new world with fantasy scenarios set to "rare." This is over four times the production of the next-best gold mine in the world.

the curse is your colony's inflation

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PleasingFungus posted:

the curse is your colony's inflation

Yeah, I get a treasure fleet every 5 months, and if my math is correct, I'm going to be spending 35% of my income of admin points keeping inflation under control.

At least money will never be a problem again! Not that it's hard to reach that state WITHOUT insane inflation.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Wilekat posted:

So I'm not entirely sure what to do here.

I'm trying for Prestor John, so I'm going to have to try and hack lumps off the Ottomans at some point, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to go about it.

The Ottomans are allied to Muscovy and Tunis. I'm allied to (Edit: Hungary,) Portugal and Castille (who are still sitting on the PU with Aragon and have integrated Naples already).

I can't fight Otto directly right now, so I figure I should vassalise Hejaz, feed them Haasa and skirt East through Arabia to use Hormuz as a platform into Persia/India. Saying that, I... am not sure I'm going to be able to deal with an Ottoman/Muscovy powerbloc. Is there anything I can do about this?

Shoutouts to super-Lithuania (who rivaled me) and a successful AI Scotland in that screenshot.

Go into India/Malaysia, colonise up, pump trade into the Cape, and hit them in about 60 years when you're made of money. When I did that it was a cakewalk. Worst thing you can do is face the Ottomans before you're ready.

Also, take religious first as Ethiopia. Totally different game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thanqol posted:

Also, take religious first as Ethiopia. Totally different game.
I thought Exploration first as Ethiopia was baller? Get to The Cape and Mutapa's gold mines faster?

Speaking of Mutapa....is it worthwhile to have them as a vassal to leach a bunch of income without getting all that inflation?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Exploration can be safely taken second because no one's going to be beating you to south africa and the indies. Religious first, meanwhile, lets you get nice and big and stable early.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

I thought Exploration first as Ethiopia was baller? Get to The Cape and Mutapa's gold mines faster?

Speaking of Mutapa....is it worthwhile to have them as a vassal to leach a bunch of income without getting all that inflation?

Mutapa barely get anything from their gold provinces because they're pagan. Take the gold for yourself if you want money.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

It's an omen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I've found myself staring way too hard at this trying to spot potential changes. Looks like there's some general map rework for 1.16 that goes beyond what's been pointed out. I can definitely spot some stuff in Russia that looks different.

The big thing I noticed was Turkish going back to the Arabic culture group like it was in EU3, because that's not overpowered at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh poo poo look at that. I'm down with that change though, if only because the Ottos consistently underperform. But really Turkish and Greek should be in a group.

Unrelated: theocracies are baller. Got a good TO Baltic Crusader game going, by immediately jumping into the Empire and expanding across North Germany and into Denmark to build strength to take down Poland. I am just swimming in monarch points. I have to say I don't really care for the new estates system though, this way feels even more dependent on the RNG. At least with the old way you knew you could trade short term effects for long term loyalty.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 29, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PittTheElder posted:

Unrelated: theocracies are baller.

While being unable to make your rulers into generals isn't. That severely hampers my custom nation RP sessions!

There's no reason to be the Knights of Madasque, when you can't bring the sword to the heathens personally.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo look at that. I'm down with that change though, if only because the Ottos consistently underperform. But really Turkish and Greek should be in a group.

Unrelated: theocracies are baller. Got a good TO Baltic Crusader game going, by immediately jumping into the Empire and expanding across North Germany and into Denmark to build strength to take down Poland. I am just swimming in monarch points. I have to say I don't really care for the new estates system though, this way feels even more dependent on the RNG. At least with the old way you knew you could trade short term effects for long term loyalty.

How did you get austria to like you enough to let you join? Restart till austria rivals Poland? I couldn't get an alliance or enough opinion to join for the life of me

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

There should be events that can trigger when you're losing a war as a theocracy that make your ruler a general with decent army tradition. Sort of like that weird eastern tech decision that you can only take halfway through the aristocracy ideas and with 8(?) war exhaustion that gives you 15 units out of thin air.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Simple way to do it:

Can make ruler into general if War Exhaustion > 8(10?)

Don't know if that's possible to mod into the game right now, but it'd be simple and prohibitive enough to keep people from making every ruler with under 15 stats a general in hopes of a reroll.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know if it changed, or perhaps is going to change, but I can definitely make my rulers and heirs into generals.

ImPureAwesome posted:

How did you get austria to like you enough to let you join? Restart till austria rivals Poland? I couldn't get an alliance or enough opinion to join for the life of me

I required a number of restarts, but Austria was always easy, just improve relations until you can ally, and that takes you above the 159 you need.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am thinking of starting an Ironman Ethiopia run today. Any advice other than Religious first and Exploration second that I need? Rush to take Jerusalem before the Ottomans get claims, also cutting them off from Egypt?

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know if it changed, or perhaps is going to change, but I can definitely make my rulers and heirs into generals.

I required a number of restarts, but Austria was always easy, just improve relations until you can ally, and that takes you above the 159 you need.
I believe the change to Theocracies said that the non-Military Orders cannot convert their ruler to a general, but The Knights and the two Baltic Orders still can. I am surprised they didnt just make them a slightly different government form.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Knights, Livonian Order and Teutonic Order are under the government type of Monastic Order, which is a subtype of Theocracy. They even have different bonuses! Most importantly, they get no autonomy decrease and are stuck at Duchy forever, which blows.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

The Knights, Livonian Order and Teutonic Order are under the government type of Monastic Order, which is a subtype of Theocracy. They even have different bonuses! Most importantly, they get no autonomy decrease and are stuck at Duchy forever, which blows.
I guess I should have done more research before I commented! Also yes that does blow. Though a lot of Autonomy Reduction bonuses from Gov Type got reduced recently.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

I am thinking of starting an Ironman Ethiopia run today. Any advice other than Religious first and Exploration second that I need? Rush to take Jerusalem before the Ottomans get claims, also cutting them off from Egypt?

Don't go for Egypt early in my opinion. Even if the Ottomans don't get the mission for Egypt you'll still be putting a ton of resources towards fighting the Mamluks and still giving yourself a border with the Ottomans. You can let the Ottomans do whatever and go to town on the Mamluks and take them on later at your leisure instead of making yourself a target for them before you can go toe-to-toe with them. Usually if you take everything south of Egypt proper you're still going to be super safe though, the Ottomans usually don't care that much for the Sudan.

Your opening move should be to annex Kaffa, a four province minor on your southwest border. Their capital province is a gold mine and will go a long way towards financing your early game military expenses. Early game you also get a whole bunch of events that give you either the option for a bonus or 1 stability; I pretty much always went for the stability, ADM is going to be on a loving premium the whole game. Forcevassalising to convert ADM core costs to DIP integration costs will be very viable. You can put up vassals on Yemen and on Suez later on to make overseas coring cheaper.

Diplomatically you'll be very isolated; feel free to use your diplo slots to maintain long-term vassals and marches in some places, the extra troops will be useful for wars. Keep in mind also you'll be in a junction between north, east and south so you'll be likely in some wars to have to defend in places far away from each other. Splitting your armies will be tough, you'll be likely to need all your troops on a single front at any one time. Trade-wise, once you take over a bunch of Aden provinces, you should move your trade port there and work on pulling trade from India and keeping it from being sucked to Zanzibar. If you manage to expand to India that should be easy. If you don't, trade fleets can still pull a good amount of money your way.

When it is time to fight the Ottomans, try to get European alliances (hopefully Austria will be big and not rivalled with France). If they distract Turkish troops north you'll be free to get warscore from occupation down south and win from that. If the Ottomans decide to dunk on you and you're still not strong enough to beat them on your own, Constantinople is likely to get occupied and you can edge out a victory from that too. Don't be afraid of not destroying the Ottomans in the first war, when I fought them I took a bit of Egypt on the first, some more on the second, Alexandria and parts of the Levant in the third, and in the fourth I was able to take Antioch and Constantinople both. You can very easily wrap the requirements for Prester John in less than a century in the latter half of the game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just don't select the Amba Geshen option for +1 stability and increased heir chance because you got a pretty good chance that someone is gonna show up and murder all your children and give you -2 stability.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

The Duchy thing is fine for the TO though, since joining the HRE keeps you at Duchy anyway. The lack of autonomy reduction does suck a little, but I countered that by taking Economic ideas, which are just amazing in general. There's a decision to Secularize into an Admin Monarchy at ADM20 if you stay Catholic, or the Prussian out if you feel like converting (though you can't if you're doing Baltic Crusader).

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

PittTheElder posted:

I was nowhere near an alliance I guess cause they didn't rival anyone in east Europe for me to match, so I could only get it +25 for religion, +100 relations, +25 for 250 ducats, and was working on subsides for the last 9 when austria list the emperorship to Saxony

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Straits are my least favorite part of this game. Why do they keep adding them? Is it because the AI is so bad at transporting troops?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A dumb thing: especially as a smaller power, I find it's often better to not set more than one rival. Odds are your enemies have rivalled you too, so rivalling all of your enemies only makes them more likely to ally each other, and limits your own alliance opportunities.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

Ignore Egypt. Conquer southwards to Mutapa's gold mines and then steamroll the Mamluks and Ottomans under your swarms of mercenaries.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I started up my game as Ethiopia and it looks like Clergy doesnt give a conversion bonus anymore?

YF-23 posted:

<Ethiopia advice>

Fister Roboto posted:

Ignore Egypt. Conquer southwards to Mutapa's gold mines and then steamroll the Mamluks and Ottomans under your swarms of mercenaries.

Thank you gentlemen.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Since the patch hit, I've been having this problem.

No mods enabled. Verified cache via Steam and nothing changed. I recall there being a similar issue for some people in CK2 but I don't recall the fix for it.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
I think you need to delete the gfx folder in Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That did it. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

YF-23 posted:

You can put up vassals on Yemen and on Suez later on to make overseas coring cheaper.

I know this is optimal, but it feels so gamey I can never bring myself to do it. Instead I soak up all those extra costs for ~my immersion~.

I suspect it's on a hitlist Wiz has filed away somewhere though...

• Locked thread