Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

In the iconic "Mr. Bean puts his nice chair on top of his car and drives from it" episode,

One of my favourite things about the show is when Bean comes up with these ludicrous lateral problem-solving ideas like putting his new armchair on the roof of his mini, or covering everything in his flat with newspaper and setting off a paint bomb to redecorate, or even (in the movie) replacing a famous painting he ruined with a print that he coats with whisked egg yolks to age it, and in spite of how ridiculous they are, they all work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my favourite things about the show is when Bean comes up with these ludicrous lateral problem-solving ideas like putting his new armchair on the roof of his mini, or covering everything in his flat with newspaper and setting off a paint bomb to redecorate, or even (in the movie) replacing a famous painting he ruined with a print that he coats with whisked egg yolks to age it, and in spite of how ridiculous they are, they all work.

The first Mr. Bean movie is loving ridiculous.

Like, I can't hate it.

Most of the jokes are really bad, and some of the good ones are taken right from the series.

But bizarre things like the dark turn of "OH poo poo GUY'S DAUGHTER WAS IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT SHE"S IN THE HOSPITAL AND MIGHT DIE" are just crazy. Like why is that in the movie? oh, it's so Mr. Bean can futz around in an operating room.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHH

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't know how I feel about that. The last season was amazing and I can't see how it could end better. I was unsure about it coming back then mind, so what the hell do I know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

The first Mr. Bean movie is loving ridiculous.

Like, I can't hate it.

Most of the jokes are really bad, and some of the good ones are taken right from the series.

But bizarre things like the dark turn of "OH poo poo GUY'S DAUGHTER WAS IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT SHE"S IN THE HOSPITAL AND MIGHT DIE" are just crazy. Like why is that in the movie? oh, it's so Mr. Bean can futz around in an operating room.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. That it was made at all is a bit of a strange thing to me, because I've never really thought of Mr Bean as something that was especially popular outside the UK. You know, a bit like The Vicar of Dibley or Keeping Up Appearances?

I was big into Mr Bean when I was younger - it made watching Blackadder for the first time a few years later a bit of an odd experience.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, absolutely. That it was made at all is a bit of a strange thing to me, because I've never really thought of Mr Bean as something that was especially popular outside the UK. You know, a bit like The Vicar of Dibley or Keeping Up Appearances?

I was big into Mr Bean when I was younger - it made watching Blackadder for the first time a few years later a bit of an odd experience.
You are basically me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Second Chance is pretty much dead as Fox moved the timeslot with no notice to Friday nights.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can imagine BBC America airing Keeping Up Appearances as often as possible in the 90s. I don't know about others, but I hate that show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

You are basically me.

I'm into the Britcoms my parents liked. Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Not the Nine O'Clock News (obviously more of a sketch show, but it's the same era), Only Fools and Horses (obviously), Father Ted, The Vicar of Dibley and so on.

One of my all-time favourite comedy programmes is Dad's Army, which was one of my dad's favourites when he was a boy. But I was never quite into 'Allo 'Allo, which was the one my mum and dad liked best. By the same token, I like Red Dwarf, which they never did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Vicar of Dibley was on PBS a lot, as was Keeping Up Appearances.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
British programming was (is?) extremely popular in Canada.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Second Chance is pretty much dead as Fox moved the timeslot with no notice to Friday nights.

I'm sure there is a good pun to be made

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Oh god what have we done...American Horror Story is doing Slenderman next season. :cripes:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

smg77 posted:

Oh god what have we done...American Horror Story is doing Slenderman next season. :cripes:

If they're using him by name then at least that means Victor Surge is getting a paycheck out of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haven't posted in here in a month, did I miss anything?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The chance to make it two?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wayfinder posted:

The chance to make it two?

Nice.

wayfinder posted:

Mozart in the Jungle is, by far, the more entertaining, better-written and better-acted show.

I watched the first season and thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to the next.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm into the Britcoms my parents liked. Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Not the Nine O'Clock News (obviously more of a sketch show, but it's the same era), Only Fools and Horses (obviously), Father Ted, The Vicar of Dibley and so on.

One of my all-time favourite comedy programmes is Dad's Army, which was one of my dad's favourites when he was a boy. But I was never quite into 'Allo 'Allo, which was the one my mum and dad liked best. By the same token, I like Red Dwarf, which they never did.

Yeah these are pretty solid choices all round. Never a massive fan of either Vicar or Dads Army mind. You ever tried describing Allo Allo to someone?

"So it's about French people during the war, but it's a British show so they're all speaking English. And there's this British policeman who's not very good at speaking French, so his English is really bad and why are your eyes crossing over like that?"

Trying to think of others to add to your list. Cult stuff is always my favourite, so things like Newman and Baddiel, Fist of Fun/This Morning with Richard Not Judy, Bottom (which I always preferred over Young Ones, probably because I was just entering my teens when it aired). Going a bit later you have Spaced and Black Books of course.

As I've sadly brought up too often, it's all gone a bit sad now. Peep Show has just ended, The Thick of It is a few years gone (but presumably Armando will have something new and British soon), and you've got shows like Toast of London which are single handedly trying to keep the scene alive.

Red Dwarf XI is around the corner I believe. It's been literally years since they were at a conference and confirmed it was moving ahead. X was a fantastic near return to form so I'm looking forward.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

By the way, if I can get pedantic, "showrunning" is a much different skillset from "writing." Writing is about what's on the page. Showrunning is largely about making sure the production runs smoothly while keeping the final product true to your vision. If you're interested in all the poo poo that's involved in good showrunning, Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The Middleman, The 100) lays it out here: http://okbjgm.weebly.com/the-eleven-laws-of-showrunning.html

Loving this article. Been catching up with The X-Files, and the greatest thing about it is that it's actually five different shows or so. There's the Mythos episodes (Chris Carter written), the brilliant but messed up Mulder focus episodes (Howard Gordon), the absolutely bloody episodes (Glen Morgan and James Wong), the fast paced crime episodes (Vince Gilligan, still haven't seen most of his episodes), and the humanistic, All About Eve level dialogue episodes (Darin Morgan).

Carter basically gave his writers free reign to produce their own episodes, creating a multi-layered show that in turn created a wave of televison shows as they left the show. It's great stuff, and shows how humble and perceptive he was.

Am I wrong, but the piece seems to be anti-Dan Harmon screed, even if it isn't meant as so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Waiting for God was instrumental in my development of an appreciation for dark humour and deadpan snark.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Is it cause of Idol or whatever? I see that seems to still be on the schedule.

Either way they had an early warning their episode order was reduced anyway so I'm sure they know the worst is about to happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

Is it cause of Idol or whatever? I see that seems to still be on the schedule.

Either way they had an early warning their episode order was reduced anyway so I'm sure they know the worst is about to happen.

Nope, they put some other show on instead.

Edit: Lol, just saw a weird ad on the CW for some Mortal Kombat videogame tournament show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Nope, they put some other show on instead.

Edit: Lol, just saw a weird ad on the CW for some Mortal Kombat videogame tournament show.

It was something being made by Machinima, a Youtube gamer network. Trying to tap into E-Sports isn't the worst idea.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

hcreight posted:

It was something being made by Machinima, a Youtube gamer network. Trying to tap into E-Sports isn't the worst idea.

Dota and LoL have more players than most network television shows have viewers, the writing is on the wall.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Dota and LoL have more players than most network television shows have viewers, the writing is on the wall.

How many of those players would actually watch e-sports on TV instead of Twitch?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Vicar of Dibley was on PBS a lot, as was Keeping Up Appearances.

PBS here still airs an episode of Keeping Up Appearances every Saturday night it can. It's always followed with Are You Being Served. They go through those in order, not that it makes any difference in the later seasons. How the hell did that show continue to air 10 years despite the plot being the same every time?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
are you being served owns dude

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

How the hell did that show continue to air 10 years despite the plot being the same every time?

Because this describes almost every classic British sitcom. Hell, Only Fools and Horses is basically just the same three lines ("I'm a dodgy dealer!" "I'm a plonker!" "I'm senile!") repeated ad nauseam in mildly different ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

are you being served owns dude

Except for the sequel series where they all lived together on a farm and everyone was old and sad.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Did anyone watch season three of Todd Margaret? It seemed really pointless to me.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
House of Cards was just renewed for season 5 yay

On to 6 seasons and a movie!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well, Netflix has blocked Unblock-US from working for me. Two episodes before I finished The 100. Guess I'll just go back to torrenting and cancel my subscription.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress, really? I'm at work now but that's scary.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There better be a Colony thread going soon, poo poo's getting intense. Your man hasn't aged a day since Freckles.

I'm a sucker for a show like this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

There better be a Colony thread going soon, poo poo's getting intense. Your man hasn't aged a day since Freckles.

I'm a sucker for a show like this.

It's way better than I expected it to be. And Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies are really good in it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh gently caress, really? I'm at work now but that's scary.

Yeah. It won't let me play anything, but I can still browse. Tried restarting the app, visiting the website, etc. No luck.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's always followed with Are You Being Served. They go through those in order, not that it makes any difference in the later seasons. How the hell did that show continue to air 10 years despite the plot being the same every time?

Are You Being Served has basically been completely forgotten over here in the actual UK. It baffles me that it's still so popular in the US.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. It won't let me play anything, but I can still browse. Tried restarting the app, visiting the website, etc. No luck.

It still works for me so I dunno if they're going about by region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

X-O posted:

It's way better than I expected it to be. And Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies are really good in it.

poo poo, I guess I gotta watch it now. :lost:

• Locked thread