Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
oh my god they did it, they loving did it

they acknowledged how creepy Hawkman was and then shoved him out a figurative airlock

This is now the best show on television. Plus, Jackson is actually showing character now! Granted it's "busts on Stein non-stop" but that's enough in my book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I am going to be legit disapointed if they bring back Hawkman. Partly because it cheapens death in a show that already has two characters who got miracle ressurected (if you count Ray) and two because Carter is a useless uncharasmatic rear end in a top hat and scenes with him and Hawkgirl have been the worst part of the 4 whole episodes they have shared together.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The guy playing Hawkman was billed as a guest role, so he won't be coming back. Maybe we'll see him again in past lives for an episode or two, but pulling him out the timeline is a bad move because all those other iterations are doomed to be killed by Savage.

Anyways I'm glad. It means they consider Kendra to be the Hawk they care about developing and getting rid of Carter means that can actually happen, because she's no longer held back by the terrible eternal lovers storyline. This second half of the pilot was far better than the first half.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

lotus circle posted:

The guy playing Hawkman was billed as a guest role, so he won't be coming back. Maybe we'll see him again in past lives for an episode or two, but pulling him out the timeline is a bad move because all those other iterations are doomed to be killed by Savage.

Anyways I'm glad. It means they consider Kendra to be the Hawk they care about developing and getting rid of Carter means that can actually happen, because she's no longer held back by the terrible eternal lovers storyline. This second half of the pilot was far better than the first half.

It's extra better because Hawkgirl is really cool and no one cares about Hawkman.

Literally no one.

Like they didn't even bother with him on JL/JLU, they just went "she's an alien deal with it" and the character was a thousand times better.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also now Crisco can get in on the rebound action.

Unless...

he's also Hawkman :monocle:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chokes McGee posted:

Also now Crisco can get in on the rebound action.

Unless...

he's also Hawkman :monocle:

In JLU they made Hawkman an internet troll, so it could still happen!

It's too bad Cisco and Laurel are gonna be a couple :colbert:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Golden Glider kissed him first, that means he's hers now because that's how courtship works on my CW tv shows.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Okay so can we all take a moment to give some much needed appreciation to White Canary knocking a man out with a giant bong?

Seriously, it's only the second episode and the entire team is already clicking. :allears: I can't come up with the team I like the most but anything with Snart or Sarah is a pretty safe bet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So if Hawkman is dead twice in 1975, how does that affect his resurrection?
*cut to Flash/Arrow crossover episode*
"Shaira, we are destined to be together!" "No Shaira, WE are destined to be together!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sure that tracking shot with Atom seemed so much cooler in their heads than it looked on TV because it sure didn't look good. Once again the Rogues were great as was Stein and everyone else was just kind of there.

Hawkman getting the gently caress off the show was a good move, hopefully Firestorm isn't far behind.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They should've made Hawkman the villain because everyone in the audience hates him and doesn't care about immortal murder hobo Vandal Savage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kammat posted:

BTW, here's actual 70's Victor Garber

Goddamn, he wasn't lying when he said he had a huge afro in his 20's in the interview!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 29, 2016

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rhyno posted:

I said it when he first appeared and I will say it again, Tiny Ray is the goddamned best.

Now in convenient Action Figure form! (god drat that was a cheap-rear end goofy prop :lol::lol:)

Pretty much everything else was on-point, or at the very least improved from episode 1. Jackson got a small amount of character, Vandal Savage was... slightly more threatening. Hawkguy got recognized as a creep and then died. Everything I could ask for. :allears:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was much, much stronger. Still not sure any of the individual pieces are bouncing off of each other effectively and the cast hasn't gelled yet. But I was entertained and creepy dude got shanked. Savage is still hilariously weak as a central villain with the screen presence of a frightened mouse.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The black market fight was really fun.

Stein is the god drat best.

Sara is both hot and owns. I love when she jacked the weed. "Aww you think I'm," "Don't finish that sentence"

The Prison Break twins own

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I may have emitted a high-pitched giggle and punched the air and said "Oh thank GOD" when Carter died. Thank you, show, for giving that plotline the finger it deserved.

I'll forgive the Jefferson and Stein stuff completely as character development they didn't get a chance to pay off in the pilot, though I still feel it's a little sketchy character development for 2016.

With the ~problematic~ stuff out of the way...

Holy gently caress is this fun. I love the big glitzy shooty wide-angle comic-panel action scenes. I love the Malcontents rogueing it up in the past, embarrassing one another with their younger moments and trying not to admit to smoking a ton of pot. I love that superheroes on TV in 2016 smoked weed together. It's legal in my state and you're damned right I joined them. I love the bald bluffs and even the dumb cartoony villain for being cartoony. This is fun and funny and goofy and proud of it, and it's just what we need right now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would very much like it if every episode starts with them getting a new hawkman only for the episode to end with him dying.

Oh my God, you killed Carter!

You bastards!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Okay, so the Hawks are fighting Savage, leaving the rest of the people to sit around. HAVE SOME GOONS!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

Okay so can we all take a moment to give some much needed appreciation to White Canary knocking a man out with a giant bong?

Seriously, it's only the second episode and the entire team is already clicking. :allears: I can't come up with the team I like the most but anything with Snart or Sarah is a pretty safe bet.

Yeah, that was pretty great. On Twitter and FB, it's pretty apparent that Caity Lotz is just a big goofy nerd and is having a blast filming this. It really shows in her scenes.

Also Ray :allears:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would very much like it if every episode starts with them getting a new hawkman only for the episode to end with him dying.

Hawkpeople stuff didn't bother me as much as many of you, but in my head this is the funniest, best idea, and I wish it was real.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Normally I'd be rolling my eyes at the idea of cheering over a character death, but my god, Hawkman was that poorly conceived. What should've been a playfully romantic mentorship instead turned into a creepy, patronizing mess, even after Hawkgirl called it out as such. Because of this, as a galvanizing moment that pushes the team to work together, it feels empty, as does that tragic beat of Hawkgirl finally remembering everything moments after his death.

On the other hand though, now that all that bullshit's out of the way, the show's more likely to recover and get to the poo poo it actually knows how to do well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's a wanted poster of Jonah Hex in the "Study"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Yes. Loved that, and her palming a few joints on their way out.
Canary is also able to knock bad guys down with a sword without cutting them. Must've learned that from the League of Assassins. Really. she is great, already better than the sob sister she was on Arrow, and I look forward to her being a give-no-fucks badass in period costume every week.

:master: Legends could have Sara and the team meeting John Constantine in the 80s in England. Oh the possibilities..

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 29, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's using batons, not swords.

Kesper North posted:

I'll forgive the Jefferson and Stein stuff completely as character development they didn't get a chance to pay off in the pilot, though I still feel it's a little sketchy character development for 2016.

This was still the pilot actually.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pocket Atom was pretty awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Digital Jedi posted:

Pocket Atom was pretty awesome.

They're going to homage that one episode of JLU by having Atom spend an episode riding around in White Canary's cleavage.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

If either of them were really clever, they'd prepare trusts or caches or something for themselves when they revive, all across the world since they're quasi-immortal. That way they too could build up an arsenal when they inevitably come up against Savage and don't have to start from essentially zero in terms of everything but fighting ability.

Doing the math on 4000 years / 200 lives, it sounds like they're not making it past their early 20s often - at 25 (Ciara Renee's age) they might even be older than their average lifespan at this point. They only seem to spend a couple of years as active adults each cycle. So it might be hard to accumulate much in the way of assets, even assuming they can find them in future lives reliably.

TyrantWD posted:

That seemed to be the case when Supergirls' ratings were in free fall, but it has stabilized at a level that makes it the highest rated comicbook show on TV this season. I can see CBS holding holding off until the show really needs a rating bump.

CBS has a lot higher of standards than CW though.

EDIT: Just checked, Supergirl is apparently also well-performing by CBS standards.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 29, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I liked the first half.

I loved the second half. Everyone was firing on all cylinders.

I didn't really dislike Hawkman, he just was average compared to some far better actors. Glad they hung a lantern on the creepy bits at least. I'm guessing since he died in 75 his soul reincarnates back when, allowing there to be another Hawkman when it comes time to become a Justice League in the nebulous future beyond all the shows.

lotus circle posted:

The guy playing Hawkman was billed as a guest role, so he won't be coming back.

So is Vandal Savage. It's possible they'll pull a fakeout, though, and defeat Savage early season and introduce a bigger bad guy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I know he's already committed to another show on another network, but I bet Damian Lewis would make a great Per Degaton, if they need a time traveling dictator to counter Rip.

Low low costume requirements too, just give him a black tunic, black pants, red gloves, and make him say "PFAUGH!" a lot.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

She's using batons, not swords.

It's actually her bo staff but it splits into batons for maximum bad guy bonking.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chokes McGee posted:

It's actually her bo staff but it splits into batons for maximum bad guy bonking.

Also useful for bad girl boinking.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Kesper North posted:

Also useful for bad girl boinking.

Bong girl conking

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a weird feeling that Hawkman will be back. He's a pretty high tier DC character to get killed off like that on a spinoff miniseries show.

Also that's about the most explict weed-is-not-a-big-deal message I can recall seeing on network TV.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

I know he's already committed to another show on another network, but I bet Damian Lewis would make a great Per Degaton, if they need a time traveling dictator to counter Rip.

Low low costume requirements too, just give him a black tunic, black pants, red gloves, and make him say "PFAUGH!" a lot.

There's definitely more than enough villains that are either very long lived or have done Time Travel that can be used. Additionally, there's quite a bit of room to change up a pre-existing character so they can fit a necessary position.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mortanis posted:

So is Vandal Savage. It's possible they'll pull a fakeout, though, and defeat Savage early season and introduce a bigger bad guy.

This is my hope. Now that Hawkman is gone (hopefully for good), Savage is the weakest part of the show. He doesn't come across as menacing or interesting. His entire performance just doesn't work. Having Darhk cameo just underscored how much better of villain Arrow has compared to LOT.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/ratings-legends-of-tomorrow-you-me-and-the-apocalypse-1201691975/

Ratings for episode 2 are up. Down 10% off the premier which is considered really good as the average is closer to 30% drop. So the prospects for another season got a lot brighter.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

They finally did the impossible. They made me like and appreciate Sara Lance being on screen

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hamsystem posted:

Bong girl conking

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Binary Logic posted:

:master: Legends could have Sara and the team meeting John Constantine in the 80s in England. Oh the possibilities..

Though, Matt Ryan is in his thirties. In 2016. The main possibility is that DCTV Constantine is between the ages of 1 and 9 in the 1980's.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Ultimately savage needs a "enforcer team" to throw against the heroes.

I guess the big question is whom can they use?

<crosses fingers for secret six.> :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

• Locked thread