Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

How many data points do you need that say "dumpster fire"?

I want a log of the evolution of the PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olesh posted:

Obviously there was quite a lot of fiddling and testing done

Ahahahahahahaha

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The only way I could ever see DHS vs Singles balanced and be an actual decision would be to make internal engine sinks always be singles and external DHSs to be true doubles. That would actually make it a choice of tonnage efficiency vs space efficiency, of course it would also throw the whole game out of balance since everything, especially lights, would run way hotter. Probably every single weapon in the game would have to lose a few points of heat, but it would also indirectly buff the really big engines(which are not worth the weight for the most part) since they would allow you to fit more DHSs. It's probably not worth all that just to balance out this one small facet of the game though, better to just consider every mech as costing at least 1.5 mil more than it says on the tag.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

acumen posted:

Picked up the Marauder pack last and played mostly with goons. I'm using the fits mentioned above and from Meta Mechs as well, what the hell am I doing wrong? I usually try to poke and engage from medium range but I invariably get surrounded and shot to bits with no chance to withdraw since I'm so slow. My damage is absolutely terrible too compared to what I was using before and my KDR has tanked hard. I haven't even changed tiers this whole time :confused:

The MAD mechs are awesome to brawl in. So I'm confused as to what your issue is. Have you tried the MAD-5D? Mount dual ASRM6 4x MPLas and go to town on some more bastards. If you're only using the ballistics oriented, don't use the AC20. People like the punch that it brings but the variants you seem to be using the most can have 2-3 ACs on them. 3R can have 3 AC5 attached to it. The 5M can mount dual UAC5. Chainfire the AC5, Fire both UAC5 together watch people panic as you send round after round into their face. Use MPLas in tandem for glorious carnage. Oh! Twist too. Don't stare at people.

I love the Marauder, almost as much as my Griffins.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
AC/5 MAD-3Rs require a lot of face staring that the AC/20 variants do not. If you want to dakka from range, go with AC/5s. If you want to be facepunchy in a brawl, the AC20 is better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To be fair, the MAD-3R also has 50% more structure bonuses than the other two variants, so if you're going to mount 5s, do it on that one.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The only situations I can think of where single heatsinks might win out are:

You can put single heatsinks in the legs and stand in the water to cool down faster. Supposedly. I have never noticed that big of a difference though. You'd probably get a bigger cooldown benefit just from having doubleheatsinks in your engine.

If you have a bank of heatsinks in a slot the damage could theoretically be spread out among them rather than be focused on the larger heatsinks. I think the little heatsinks have the same amount of damage points as the larger ones.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Comedy option: 3R - 4x LPLas, 3x Machine Guns

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Stringbean posted:

The MAD mechs are awesome to brawl in. So I'm confused as to what your issue is. Have you tried the MAD-5D? Mount dual ASRM6 4x MPLas and go to town on some more bastards. If you're only using the ballistics oriented, don't use the AC20. People like the punch that it brings but the variants you seem to be using the most can have 2-3 ACs on them. 3R can have 3 AC5 attached to it. The 5M can mount dual UAC5. Chainfire the AC5, Fire both UAC5 together watch people panic as you send round after round into their face. Use MPLas in tandem for glorious carnage. Oh! Twist too. Don't stare at people.

I love the Marauder, almost as much as my Griffins.

The majority of the time I spent with the 5M was with dual UAC5s and I wasn't doing poo poo for damage (average of 233 damage/round). They rely on constant exposure but I'm usually too outnumbered or focused to actually get a decent amount of shots off. I was doing a little better with the 3x AC/5 variant but still unable to compare to my normal performance with a Timberwolf or Stormcrow. The lack of kills is pretty disheartening too, I think with LL's/LPL's I lack that alpha strike needed for taking people out. I started off with multiple MPL's but was told to not use them partway through a match so I stopped.

As a TBR/SCR I usually poke around for high damage but stay out of prolonged fights. With a Marauder what's my role? Be the vanguard type to lead the charge in and take hits or do damage?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

acumen posted:

The majority of the time I spent with the 5M was with dual UAC5s and I wasn't doing poo poo for damage (average of 233 damage/round). They rely on constant exposure but I'm usually too outnumbered or focused to actually get a decent amount of shots off. I was doing a little better with the 3x AC/5 variant but still unable to compare to my normal performance with a Timberwolf or Stormcrow. The lack of kills is pretty disheartening too, I think with LL's/LPL's I lack that alpha strike needed for taking people out. I started off with multiple MPL's but was told to not use them partway through a match so I stopped.

As a TBR/SCR I usually poke around for high damage but stay out of prolonged fights. With a Marauder what's my role? Be the vanguard type to lead the charge in and take hits or do damage?

Ideally you don't want to lead the charge, as an Atlas does that better, but if you can team up with other tanky brawlers and do your part to soak damage and dish out pain, you're doing your job well.

On the other hand, multiple marauders configured for a knife fight can lead a perfectly gutting assault.

Additionally, a reasonably agile marauder can make for excellent reinforcements in the event that a fight breaks out in an exposed area, like if you have an assault that get caught out by a pack of lights.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 29, 2016

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Can someone explain how omnipods for clan mechs work? I get that you can switch around arms and torsos for different hard points but is the center torso what determines the mech's variant? Does it keep that variant's perks even if I swap out all the other pods. I have 2 Stormcrows, is there a way to unlock the elite skills by switching pods around without having to buy a 3rd?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Axetrain posted:

Can someone explain how omnipods for clan mechs work? I get that you can switch around arms and torsos for different hard points but is the center torso what determines the mech's variant? Does it keep that variant's perks even if I swap out all the other pods. I have 2 Stormcrows, is there a way to unlock the elite skills by switching pods around without having to buy a 3rd?

Quirks are attached to the omnipods, so swapping the pods around changes the quirks.

Quirks get applied to the whole mech, not just the pod that "carries" the quirk.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Axetrain posted:

is the center torso what determines the mech's variant? Does it keep that variant's perks even if I swap out all the other pods. I have 2 Stormcrows, is there a way to unlock the elite skills by switching pods around without having to buy a 3rd?

Yes, no, no.

Quirks are per omnipod and stack, but apply to every weapon the mech has equipped.

You will have to buy a third Stormcrow variant, but you just move the omnis and weapons etc. from an existing 'crow to the new one and thus not have to buy more weapons.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

Ideally you don't want to lead the charge, as an Atlas does that better, but if you can team up with other tanky brawlers and do your part to soak damage and dish out pain, you're doing your job well.

On the other hand, multiple marauders configured for a knife fight can lead a perfectly gutting assault.

Additionally, a reasonably agile marauder can make for excellent reinforcements in the event that a fight breaks out in an exposed area, like if you have an assault that get caught out by a pack of lights.

Okay thanks for the help. I'll stick with it and hopefully it'll click eventually. Our goon group got steamrolled a lot last night so I'm sure that didn't help my experience.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I picked up the maurader pack and redeemed the code it sent but it hasn't applied to my account. I have nothing showing up in redeeming history but it says the code is used. Is this normal?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

acumen posted:

Okay thanks for the help. I'll stick with it and hopefully it'll click eventually. Our goon group got steamrolled a lot last night so I'm sure that didn't help my experience.

Large groups with a few good players (tier 1) with a lot of new players will result is losing a lot when the other team ends up being consistently all tier 1 and 2.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheTrend posted:

I picked up the maurader pack and redeemed the code it sent but it hasn't applied to my account. I have nothing showing up in redeeming history but it says the code is used. Is this normal?

Code?? I didn't get any code when I bought them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, same here. I just bought them and they were applied to my account, same as if I'd bought MC.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Hey does anybody know how the pre-match countdown and ready button work?

If everyone hits ready, the timer will jump down to 10 seconds, but sometimes it also jumps down with one or several people not ready. I'm assuming there's some kind of mechanic where if a player chronically doesn't hit ready, the game will just like auto-ready them in the background, so people who are just lazy shits can't waste 60 seconds of everyone's time every game they play.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The game waits for all players to be connected and loaded into the game server. The ready/not-ready state has no bearing on the countdown timer, because :pgi:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Axetrain posted:

It's basically just Mr. Potato Head. Instead of requiring 3 robots, you need 3 CTs. Since you can't buy a CT omnipod... you will need to buy the 3 robots anyway.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Code?? I didn't get any code when I bought them.

I logged in through the site and went through the gift store as it was the only way I could find to buy a pack outside of a steam pack.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short answer: single and double HS were balanced for TT. A big part of that balance involved the fact that mechs with double HS were a gently caress load more expensive. Even so, double were more or less obviously superior. It's a tech era thing. Endo Steel, FF, ultra ACs, ER energy weapons, etc were all part of the tech bump that happened around ~3045 in the timeline, and right before the Clans invaded. It was essentially a way to give IS some more expensive equipment that was only mediocre compared to clan stuff, as opposed to hilariously outclassed.

THat's the main problem with this game. PGI keeps trying to stay faithful to the TT stuff because their pre-Steam fan base was only ever hard core battletech nerds, but everything was designed for a TT system that did balance using a bunch of things that just aren't accessible in this game.

edit: endo vs FF is another good example. You could upgrade a mech from regular to FF pretty cheaply as armor was basically bolt-on. Upgrading to Endo was essentially impossible - better to just buy a new mech.

Well, that's the thing. If you look at the values for heatsinks, they've clearly shifted very far from the TT values in this one instance because it works acceptably in its current form.

Standard HS:
Capacity: 1.2
Internal Cooling: 0.11
External Cooling: 0.12

IS Double HS:
Capacity: 1.5
Internal Cooling: 0.2
External Cooling: 0.14

Clan Double HS:
Capacity: 1.1
Internal Cooling: 0.2
External Cooling: 0.15

Let's assume a baseline of 10 internal heatsinks in the engine, 250 or above. Given your base cooling rate with double heatsinks, how many weapons can you mount while still maintaining an acceptable level and rate of cooling? Let's say you doubled the weapons - how many additional heatsinks would you need to add to achieve a rough parity and run approximately as cool as the previous build, with half the number of weapons and heat generation? The answer is around 14, but in practical terms hardpoint limitations mean you can't ever just "double" your weapons. Five IS medium lasers will generate roughly the same heat as three IS larges (20 vs 21) with a similar amount of damage (25 vs 27), but you're paying five tons for the mediums and fifteen for the larges - and the larges take up more critical space, though fewer hardpoints.

I think the craziest part about it is that it works, at least in the current dynamic of "always buy DHS". Lasers bigger than Smalls/Small Pulses are impossible to fire continuously in quantity; your standard IS ten in-engine double heatsinks are just about enough to handle a pair of medium/med pulse lasers with cool run and full elite skills; no such luck on the clan side, since clan mediums generate 50% more heat. However, the increased range and damage of clan lasers offers incentives towards longer-range, cover-based engagements where you can push the heat up with a few volleys and then duck back and cool in safety. This meshes well with the general clan mobility granted from wide XL usage; since you don't die from losing a side torso with clan XL engines, clan mechs generally mount XL engines and benefit from increased speed where other IS mechs make do with standard for the sake of survivability (or because mounting an XL would prevent the use of, say, a side torso for an AC/20).

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

I think you took something different from that than what I intended. Let's say I'm trying to cut a shelf to fit in a cabinet. Now, I could spend some time thinking about it and take appropriate steps such as measuring the cabinet, marking the piece of wood, measuring the marks to make sure that everything lines up. Alternatively, I could just take a piece of wood and try and jam it in place. If it doesn't fit, then you trim a bit off and try again. Repeat until either it fits acceptably or you have to start over with a fresh piece of wood. The latter approach is what I mean by fiddling and testing - throwing values at the wall until you have something that works well enough to stick. Point is, I'm not going to give PGI credit and assume that they hit on something that works acceptably on their first go, given how much it varies from the source material.

Bentai posted:

The game waits for all players to be connected and loaded into the game server. The ready/not-ready state has no bearing on the countdown timer, because :pgi:

Except for CW ghost drops (and possibly CW in general? IDK), because :pgi:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
edit: i'm a dumb, disregard doublepost

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

TheTrend posted:

I logged in through the site and went through the gift store as it was the only way I could find to buy a pack outside of a steam pack.

Mechs get injected to your account every day at like 4pm PST or something.

Bentai posted:

Mostly incorrect, the timer won't skip ahead to 10 seconds until all players are connected and at least 50% of the players click the ready button. I think for CW it wants everyone to hit button though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheTrend posted:

That's not how you buy mech packs for yourself.

You go to mwomercs.com, you log in, you click on the store button, and then you're there. At the top it says "Packages/Gift Store". You're already where you need to be If you click on gift store, you done goofed.

You then scroll down and click on the picture of the robot you want to buy.

After that, you select which exact mech package you want, and then question your life decisions.

After failing that crucial step, you then purchase the internet robots and the mechs in question will be injected into your account within 15 minutes.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

A.o.D. posted:

That's not how you buy mech packs for yourself.

You go to mwomercs.com, you log in, you click on the store button, and then you're there. At the top it says "Packages/Gift Store". You're already where you need to be If you click on gift store, you done goofed.

You then scroll down and click on the picture of the robot you want to buy.

After that, you select which exact mech package you want, and then question your life decisions.

After failing that crucial step, you then purchase the internet robots and the mechs in question will be injected into your account within 15 minutes.

Mech purchases are hourly, I learned this the hard way.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Melchior posted:

Yeah, in hilariously :pgi: fashion you have to wait an hour to use the mechs you buy. Nothing builds up excitement like having to run a few errands while waiting for your order for digital goods to process!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Can I get a WoL invite? gideon braver in-game.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Melchior posted:

This might be it. I had to leave for a work event and haven't had a chance to check. I was just surprised. I figured going the gift route was t the proper way but I couldn't get the pack to ring up otherwise.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
invite sent

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I think I may have suffered some brain damage today because I'm considering giving pgi money again.

What's the most cost-effective way to do that now? Seems like the web store mech packs, or the in-game store mastery bundles since if you pick the right one you're basically getting a bunch of mechs/bays for the price of a month of premium time, yeah? Are the (s) variants in the $40 collectors bundles different from the normal versions in any way besides the cbill bonus?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olesh posted:

I think you took something different from that than what I intended. Let's say I'm trying to cut a shelf to fit in a cabinet. Now, I could spend some time thinking about it and take appropriate steps such as measuring the cabinet, marking the piece of wood, measuring the marks to make sure that everything lines up. Alternatively, I could just take a piece of wood and try and jam it in place. If it doesn't fit, then you trim a bit off and try again. Repeat until either it fits acceptably or you have to start over with a fresh piece of wood. The latter approach is what I mean by fiddling and testing - throwing values at the wall until you have something that works well enough to stick. Point is, I'm not going to give PGI credit and assume that they hit on something that works acceptably on their first go, given how much it varies from the source material.

They have a very crooked shelf with a hole in the middle, if that's what you're getting at.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Reztes posted:

I think I may have suffered some brain damage today because I'm considering giving pgi money again.

What's the most cost-effective way to do that now? Seems like the web store mech packs, or the in-game store mastery bundles since if you pick the right one you're basically getting a bunch of mechs/bays for the price of a month of premium time, yeah? Are the (s) variants in the $40 collectors bundles different from the normal versions in any way besides the cbill bonus?

The (S) variants are the normal versions but with the 30% cbills. However in some cases like the Timberwolf it's the only way to get a Cbill bonus on a CT with an energy hardpoint. They also tend to be relatively well set up for the meta - so the builds aren't garbage and tend to have DHS and poo poo for the IS mechs. The Heavy pack is giving you two really good mechs.

I'm not sure it's the most efficient waste of money though. Pre-buying the mech packs when they have their pre order bonuses tends to give a lot, several modules, 30-60 premium time. 6 or more million credits - but those are all over and you run the risk of getting lemons.

So I don't really know but if you have MC kicking around the Griffin and Blackjack bundles aren't awful.

vvv: I always listen to Willfrey, you should too.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 29, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Reztes posted:

the best "deals" to be had are probably the mech packs

Mastery bundles are so so, they would be much better if you could pick the variants you want.

Buying mechs straight up with MC is a terrible deal.

As i have played i found it is best to be patient and use your favorite mechs to make cash with premium time, by the time mechs are available for cbills you'll have a good grasp on what mechs are worth the time or what mechs are turds, or what mechs are propped up with early adopter quirks and hitboxes that magically get balance patched when they are cbill ready. Betcha :10bux: Marauders hitboxes will change before they become free to play

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Willfrey posted:

the best "deals" to be had are probably the mech packs

Mastery bundles are so so, they would be much better if you could pick the variants you want.

Buying mechs straight up with MC is a terrible deal.

As i have played i found it is best to be patient and use your favorite mechs to make cash with premium time, by the time mechs are available for cbills you'll have a good grasp on what mechs are worth the time or what mechs are turds, or what mechs are propped up with early adopter quirks and hitboxes that magically get balance patched when they are cbill ready. Betcha :10bux: Marauders hitboxes will change before they become free to play

This is a good post and should go in the OP.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just to reiterate what has already been said:

Marauders are NOT pokey mechs. They're brawlers/artillery. Learn to wiggle your nose under fire and never stop firing back ever. Hold down your autocannon hotkey and time your movements so your mouse is over something it hits when the cooldown comes off.

You can reverse while firing if you're in a poo poo position without support but it is forbidden to ever turn away. That way lies death.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
No more late night solo playing for me. Died and then spectated a dire wolf with just 4 UAC2s. Died in the next match to watch a cheetah with 3 er smalls. When I asked why, he said it was so he could fit the targeting computer.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

TeeMerk posted:

This is a good post and should go in the OP.

if i were to add anything to that i would say Early Adopter rewards are pretty good, but the risk is you end up with turd mechs. We can generally eyeball mechs and see what will be good from the getgo, for instance we knew the clan arctic cheaters would own hard and they did, while at the same time we saw the orion and highlander IIc's and most super smart goons (like myself) only got the hunchback/jenner teir for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Bait and Swatch posted:

a cheetah with 3 er smalls. When I asked why, he said it was so he could fit the targeting computer.

If it's any consolation, his robot fell over like an idiot.

http://gfycat.com/EminentFabulousHarrierhawk

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 29, 2016

• Locked thread