Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Okay, why is Cornette not in LU himself because he can be fun. He just needs to stop listening to people wanting him to be angry Cornette and pass an anger management course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2_U6gZp6vo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I actually really like the idea of Cornette managing Brian Cage, he kinda fits the MO of Cornette's NWA character of managing flashy jerks.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Let's go Meltzer

uncleKitchener posted:

Okay, why is Cornette not in LU himself because he can be fun. He just needs to stop listening to people wanting him to be angry Cornette and pass an anger management course.

I'm guessing LU's financials aren't so good

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I would pay 200 hundred dollars for a Meltzer shoot where he shares the most horrifying poo poo he knows and has kept to himself.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
"And then my one other issue, and it's a nit-pick but, to me, Matt Striker so doesn't fit. And it's not his commentary that doesn't fit. But it's just this Lucha Underground temple has this feel of this dirty place that's, I dunno, and again, I'm not up on what would be your, you know, dark dangerous hispanic neighboorhoods in LA or near the border in Mexico...it's got this dingy, grimmy, awesome feel to it and then there's just whiter than white bread dude sitting there in his suit and his tie and I'm just like 'why is this person in the building? and how many times does he get mugged and raped when he leaves?'" - Lance Storm

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I take everything Dave says about Japan with a grain of salt. It's pretty obvious his sources aren't the best/he trusts them too much, and repeatedly getting worked on the attendance for the Dome show is a good example of that. I almost think he wouldn't even bother with all the NJPW doom & gloom if it didn't give him a chance to rewrite the same 2,000 word sentence about Crockett's downfall every month.

EugeneJ posted:

What is the most disputed Meltzer match rating?[/url]
That Bret Vs Owen cage match from SummerSlam 1994 is the most boring thing and he gave it five stars, a higher rating than their WMX match got.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the awesome Arn/Regal TV title match from Superbrawl '94 that Dave rated 1/2*

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

SLUM KING posted:

That Bret Vs Owen cage match from SummerSlam 1994 is the most boring thing and he gave it five stars, a higher rating than their WMX match got.

Well it must be disputed then because I think that's one of the best cage matches ever!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Glamorama26 posted:

I would pay 200 hundred dollars for a Meltzer shoot where he shares the most horrifying poo poo he knows and has kept to himself.

I've been trying to get a Best Friends shoot with Meltzer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the awesome Arn/Regal TV title match from Superbrawl '94 that Dave rated 1/2*

When was it that Regal's reputation as a great worker really got high among fans?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Probably around the time of his match with Benoit at the Pillman memorial show, that's when I first started hearing people talk about how good he was.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Alain Post posted:

When was it that Regal's reputation as a great worker really got high among fans?

I dunno I always loved Regal. I never considered him like a workhorse or anything but he was a dude who could work a crowd with just his facial expressions.

EDIT: TO add to this he was actually one of the first heels I liked as a kid along with Shawn Michaels. Like seriously they were the 2 guys that made me realize there was more to this whole wrestling thing than just good guys vs. bad guys.

Tr33 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 29, 2016

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Jubs posted:

oh my god yes.

SLUM KING posted:

I take everything Dave says about Japan with a grain of salt. It's pretty obvious his sources aren't the best/he trusts them too much, and repeatedly getting worked on the attendance for the Dome show is a good example of that. I almost think he wouldn't even bother with all the NJPW doom & gloom if it didn't give him a chance to rewrite the same 2,000 word sentence about Crockett's downfall every month.

if his NJPW source is who I think it is, it completely makes sense why his Japan coverage is the way it is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Lance show is extremely good this week.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If Dave Meltzer is wrong about NJPW gates again I will publicly out his source on Twitter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

The Lance show is extremely good this week.

I liked the reveal that every so often he sends Jericho a message calling him an idiot.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

oatgan posted:

If Dave Meltzer is wrong about NJPW gates again I will publicly out his source on Twitter.

I don't think his source's sexuality has anything to do with this.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

if his NJPW source is who I think it is, it completely makes sense why his Japan coverage is the way it is.
I've always assumed it's Hattori. Whether I'm right or wrong please don't out me...I love Big Dave and I love pro-wres...I don't want to end up on a blacklist!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wish I had a nickel for every time someone on Twitter complains about Dave spoiling Lucha Underground.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone on Twitter complains about Dave spoiling Lucha Underground.

It would be different if he didn't preface it, but come on, it's an insider show behind a pay wall.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SLUM KING posted:

I've always assumed it's Hattori. Whether I'm right or wrong please don't out me...I love Big Dave and I love pro-wres...I don't want to end up on a blacklist!!

Wouldn't Hattori kayfabe the poo poo out of attendance numbers?

New Japan did that co-branded US tour with JAPW a few years ago, and on their website they put "SUPER NO VACANCY SELLOUT" for all 3 shows. I was at the ECW Arena show - there was maybe 400 people there.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DDP talking about the Jake movie on WOR is really nice :unsmith:

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007

SLUM KING posted:

I

My new best friend.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

"And then my one other issue, and it's a nit-pick but, to me, Matt Striker so doesn't fit. And it's not his commentary that doesn't fit. But it's just this Lucha Underground temple has this feel of this dirty place that's, I dunno, and again, I'm not up on what would be your, you know, dark dangerous hispanic neighboorhoods in LA or near the border in Mexico...it's got this dingy, grimmy, awesome feel to it and then there's just whiter than white bread dude sitting there in his suit and his tie and I'm just like 'why is this person in the building? and how many times does he get mugged and raped when he leaves?'" - Lance Storm

Matt Striker has to keep his car keys hidden up his rear end when he leaves.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Jubs posted:

Think Big Dave has ever full dogged a prosto?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Wouldn't Hattori kayfabe the poo poo out of attendance numbers?

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I assumed it was him.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

SLUM KING posted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I assumed it was him.

also Hattori worked both Inoki and Baba as the gaijin rep so he knows the Funks, etc real well.

He also talks at times about Japanese promotions that don't matter in the greater scheme of things like Real Japan, which has stars based in Hattori's era, and then neglects a lot of DDT and lifts DG notes from Jae Church without attribution. DG and DDT are the second and third largest promotions in the second biggest wrestling economy in the world. I can't even guess where Real Japan is on the list of biggest promotions in Japan.

I think a lot if it is him knowing guys from his trips in Japan in the 80s and 90s and not having the same connections with younger promotions.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 29, 2016

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

also Hattori worked both Inoki and Baba as the gaijin rep so he knows the Funks, etc real well.

He also talks at times about Japanese promotions that don't matter in the greater scheme of things like Real Japan, which has stars based in Hattori's era, and then neglects a lot of DDT and lifts DG notes from Jae Church without attribution. DG and DDT are the second and third largest promotions in the second biggest wrestling economy in the world. I can't even guess where Real Japan is on the list of biggest promotions in Japan.

I think a lot if it is him knowing guys from his trips in Japan in the 80s and 90s and not having the same connections with younger promotions.

A bit of it also might be the fact that since he covers MMA as well nowadays, that eats up time that he otherwise would have used to go to Japan.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

a retard posted:

A bit of it also might be the fact that since he covers MMA as well nowadays, that eats up time that he otherwise would have used to go to Japan.

Oh sure, compounded with having a family and doing as much audio as he does it's not like he's really able to do a week long trip.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Call Me Charlie posted:

"-- how many times does he get mugged and raped when he leaves?'" - Lance Storm

Settle down Lance it's not like a child read a book for free

oatgan posted:

I'm gonna start outing some NXT sources soon

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Muddy Burphy posted:

Think Big Dave has ever full dogged a prosto?

Probably if that's the name of a joshi promotion.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
If there was ever a time to find old expired original FourLoko, it's a Popping Dogs and Talking Hogs with Dave Meltzer.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Big Dave is a Sparks man through and though

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'll guess Dave likes a good rum n coke. And after 3 or 4, he just moves to shots and begins youtubing old Flair promos and roller derby.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Glamorama26 posted:

I'll guess Dave likes a good rum n coke. And after 3 or 4, he just moves to shots and begins youtubing old Flair promos and roller derby.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I wanna hear about Big Dave's wiping routine and see his shirtless pose with Chuck and Trent at the end

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

It's sad, I used to really enjoy Cornette's show but after his last (that I heard) rant about how Muslims are evil I just had to give up on listening.
Same here. I never figured him for such a huge racist before, seeing as he is so vocally left-wing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'm guessing he's at least talked to Gedo on a few occasions as well based on his English fluency and a few references he's made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It's kinda silly that the WON doesn't have on-staff guys that are fluent in Spanish and Japanese, or at least consultants. At least for Mexico you have knowledgeable guys like cubsfan and Rob Viper that send Dave stuff, for Japan his sources don't seem so good. I've seen people that speak the language complain that he gets stuff wrong fairly frequently.

The not crediting sources thing seems to be SOP for some reason. I don't really understand why. He didn't credit MLW with breaking the NJPW 4 story a few weeks ago either.

• Locked thread