Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I thought this was a really well drawn parody jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I thought this was a really well drawn parody jesus christ.

I remember playing an arcade game based on this at a local pizza place around the turn of the century. It was awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That happens a lot, actually. Sometimes you'll only have one or two people in a band that know how to actually write music. Apparently when Public Enemy started getting big some record executives told them to "get rid of the guy with the stupid clock" only to find out that Flavor Flav wrote basically all of the music. The guy seriously plays like 12 instruments. There's actually a ton of stuff a band needs to do other than "write music" so you'll often have people wearing multiple hats.

Yea. Like Gwen Steffani's older brother wrote pretty much all the songs on Tragic Kingdom so he is a major part of why the album was such a huge hit. While he was doing it, he was working as an animator on the Simpsons.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Ah, Xenozoic Tales.

19+ years hiatus and counting. :smith: (and it ended on a cliff hanger)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
nitrofans.tumblr.com

It's nothing but crowd shots. People of Walmart ain't got poo poo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The American Dream posted:

nitrofans.tumblr.com

serious pro-click right here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The American Dream posted:

nitrofans.tumblr.com

Oh god, the kids! Though i didn't see any rat tails. Were those more 90s or 80s? I associate them with white trash kids from the early 90s.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That happens a lot, actually. Sometimes you'll only have one or two people in a band that know how to actually write music. Apparently when Public Enemy started getting big some record executives told them to "get rid of the guy with the stupid clock" only to find out that Flavor Flav wrote basically all of the music. The guy seriously plays like 12 instruments. There's actually a ton of stuff a band needs to do other than "write music" so you'll often have people wearing multiple hats.
Chuck D's quote was "He can play 15 instruments. I can't play lotto"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

No Rain has been stuck in my head for three days. Yeah, that's a '90s video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god, the kids! Though i didn't see any rat tails. Were those more 90s or 80s? I associate them with white trash kids from the early 90s.

95-2001 RIP. But wrestling so subtract 5-15 years for clothing choices.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GWBBQ posted:

Chuck D's quote was "He can play 15 instruments. I can't play lotto"

I remember the first time I learned that. It's so hard to believe at first because Flav comes off as such a cartoon character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We were listening to a 90s pop station on Google Play at work the other day and this song came on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU-hmNjCtvQ

I had completely forgotten about this. This is the perfect example of the 80s and the 90s crashing. The band looks like they were supposed to be a hair metal band but then the producers decided to try to make them into some kind of boy band

It reminds me of color me badd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6BtpIzIiM

I still find it odd that synchronized dancing is still front and center for pop groups these days. Though I find it funny that the basic premise of the video for I Wanna Sex You Up is also the same for Rammstien's Pussy.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Bubsy pilot may be one of the worst things I've ever watched in my lifetime, and it's '90s as poo poo. People think I exaggerate when I say it is literally unwatchable. They think since they've seen the worst calamities online and in real life, but nobody I've linked it to has been able to watch it in one sitting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNdbdSCuC4

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Plan Z posted:

The Bubsy pilot may be one of the worst things I've ever watched in my lifetime, and it's '90s as poo poo. People think I exaggerate when I say it is literally unwatchable. They think since they've seen the worst calamities online and in real life, but nobody I've linked it to has been able to watch it in one sitting:

Made it less than 40 seconds.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Plan Z posted:

I watched it when it was "live" or whatever you want to call it actually on TV. It was a weird thing where there was a package of different saturday morning pilots that aired on Thanksgiving Day. There was also a Battletoads pilot in that block I remember.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plan Z posted:

Kavak posted:

Made it less than 40 seconds.

I made it to 20 :shepicide:.

Choco1980 posted:

I watched it when it was "live" or whatever you want to call it actually on TV. It was a weird thing where there was a package of different saturday morning pilots that aired on Thanksgiving Day. There was also a Battletoads pilot in that block I remember.

You mean this pilot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRMunEPAYg

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yep, that aired back to back with the Bubsy Pilot.

It was a dark day indeed.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Literally HitlerPoochie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plan Z posted:

I managed to get though about a minute. I just wanted to know if i could do that. Beyond the obvious try hard coolness (which is basically what Bubsy was all about), its just really obnoxious. Also, Is that Scott Grimes doing the voice? Bubsy Sounds a hell of a lot like Steve Smith.

That Battletoads thing was weird as poo poo.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I managed to get though about a minute. I just wanted to know if i could do that. Beyond the obvious try hard coolness (which is basically what Bubsy was all about), its just really obnoxious. Also, Is that Scott Grimes doing the voice? Bubsy Sounds a hell of a lot like Steve Smith.

That Battletoads thing was weird as poo poo.

It was Rob Paulsen believe it or not. I always start criticizing it, but there's always just so much to criticize. The big problem is that the animation and voice acting are never on the same intensity plane.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Plan Z posted:

Watched the whole thing. This is one of the ugliest and most contemptuous pieces of media I've ever seen. It's truly loving sinister. Look at the expressions of malice on Busby's face and how sneering and predatory his behavior is. Look at the way they torture the Armadillo. There's goddamn sexual assault imagery starting at 11:45.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plan Z posted:

It was Rob Paulsen believe it or not. I always start criticizing it, but there's always just so much to criticize. The big problem is that the animation and voice acting are never on the same intensity plane.

It's weird, someone really powerful loved Bubsy and pushed him super hard in the mid 90s. I think its possibly because he was the result of a ton of money spent on focus groups trying to come up with the most perfect mascot that kids would love, as he was trying to compete the Mario and Sonic. The execs that threw money at it probably kept thinking if they just get enough Bubsy out there, he'd take off.

The 90s was chock full of video game mascots just trying to get a sweet piece of that console wars money.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the 7up Spot character. I don't think there was ever a cartoon. It was just a lovely commercial campaign and a Sega Genesis game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It's weird, someone really powerful loved Bubsy and pushed him super hard in the mid 90s. I think its possibly because he was the result of a ton of money spent on focus groups trying to come up with the most perfect mascot that kids would love, as he was trying to compete the Mario and Sonic. The execs that threw money at it probably kept thinking if they just get enough Bubsy out there, he'd take off.

The 90s was chock full of video game mascots just trying to get a sweet piece of that console wars money.

It was all Sonic. Sonic was the one that had all this runaway success by being "a dude with a 'tude" in contrast to boring old Mario. It's pretty interesting to read about how Sonic was the product of intense focus group analyses to create this gestalt of everything that was "cool" in 1992 or so, which resulted in Sonic's creation being partly influenced by Bill Clinton.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the 7up Spot character. I don't think there was ever a cartoon. It was just a lovely commercial campaign and a Sega Genesis game.

Fido Dido - really hung up over his clear soda for a guy who was the focus group wet dream of 'uber casual cool'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwFdFh2bE14

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

I owned the tank of the Street Sharks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lt_kennedy posted:

Fido Dido - really hung up over his clear soda for a guy who was the focus group wet dream of 'uber casual cool'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwFdFh2bE14

This is an 80s thing though, and French, so it's cool by default.

Cool Spot was who was meant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

I owned the tank of the Street Sharks.

I remember going to a friend's birthday party and one of the things they had in the party bags was Street Sharks badges - everyone wanted the blue one with rollerblades.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm the kickin rad surfer dude who's about to suck the last dinosaur off

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was all Sonic. Sonic was the one that had all this runaway success by being "a dude with a 'tude" in contrast to boring old Mario. It's pretty interesting to read about how Sonic was the product of intense focus group analyses to create this gestalt of everything that was "cool" in 1992 or so, which resulted in Sonic's creation being partly influenced by Bill Clinton.

Funny how Sonic has more or less fallen by the wayside with years of awful video games. Lets be honest, it was a less then charming cast of characters and locations and the epitome of focus group design. Mario has been FAR more endearing and marketable over the years.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Console Wars by Blake Harris talks about this (and I assume that's where you're getting that from), as well as the back and forth design process between Sega of America and Sega of Japan. SOJ's concepts for Sonic had him with a motorcycle and having a human girlfriend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Instant Sunrise posted:

Console Wars by Blake Harris talks about this (and I assume that's where you're getting that from), as well as the back and forth design process between Sega of America and Sega of Japan. SOJ's concepts for Sonic had him with a motorcycle and having a human girlfriend.

I absolutely have to know what Slick Willy has to do with Sonic though!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Iron Crowned posted:

I absolutely have to know what Slick Willy has to do with Sonic though!

Especially since the first Sonic game came out in 91 when no one was aware of Clinton yet.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Funny how Sonic has more or less fallen by the wayside with years of awful video games. Lets be honest, it was a less then charming cast of characters and locations and the epitome of focus group design. Mario has been FAR more endearing and marketable over the years.

Problem is, I think the Sonic universe and characters are the opposite of focus-grouped. A lot of the worst poo poo festered in the comics universe and found its way into the games to produce something that's repugnant to 90% of any potential demographic that could buy the games.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

twistedmentat posted:

Rat tails were definitely a mid-late 80s thing for the most part, I remember plenty of kids having them (and getting made fun of)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

I've not read that book. It's more just stuff I've heard repeated for so long that I assume it's true.

Athenry posted:

Especially since the first Sonic game came out in 91 when no one was aware of Clinton yet.

He was at least known as the guy who made a hash of his keynote speech at the Democratic Convention in 1988. Him pulling off the nomination in 1992 was a bit of a surprise as well, since I'm pretty sure Brown, Tsongas and Kerrey were judged as more likely prospects. Again, Clinton being someone who was taken into consideration is just something I read about and have probably internalised as fact.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Choco1980 posted:

IIRC, the Bubsy Genesis game had a separate card with the instruction booklet that said something like, "Catch Bubsy in his first Thanksgiving Holiday Special! Coming soon!" That must be what it was referencing.

Thank God I never saw it, and just assumed it never happened.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Flesh coloured arms were all the rage in '92.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Ah, so now I know where that came from.

But yea, sonic had 3 decent games, the rest has been absolute crap. I will never, ever understand the obsession some people have with Sonic, even beyond mentally ill people like Chris-Chan.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ozz81 posted:

Rat tails were definitely a mid-late 80s thing for the most part, I remember plenty of kids having them (and getting made fun of)

The rat tail is alive and flourishing in Central Europe, it's evolved form, the Man Bun has yet to take off from what I saw (thank gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

88h88 posted:

This is an 80s thing though, and French, so it's cool by default.

Cool Spot was who was meant.

The lack of any 7up branding on this cover is weirdly interesting to me