Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Boss fight where you fight Vampire Jack the Ripper while balancing a glass of wine on your head confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Trivia question where you must answer successfully the number of breads you have had Miriam eat in that playthrough

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

AnonSpore posted:

Trivia question where you must answer successfully the number of breads you have had Miriam eat in that playthrough

But what would the reward be?

Kaiser Knuckle?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'll just take a wrrrrry and be happy

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I remember the original Far Cry had a bunch of shaders to play with and switch etween and I always wondered why that wasn't more common in games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Diabetic posted:

:golfclap: Someone follow this up with Roundabout.

Happy to oblige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65pvuTFR_A

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

It's 3D characters on a 2-D plane.

It's worth noting that it's not JUST 3D characters on a 2D plane. They actually animated the characters to move exactly like it would look in 2D. Meaning that an attack in the game might have 6 frames of animation and the model skips through them so that instead of looking like, say, Tekken or Street Fighter 4, it looks just like a Guilty Gear or Blazblue, despite being 3D rendered. I can't image how difficult it would have been.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

It's worth noting that it's not JUST 3D characters on a 2D plane. They actually animated the characters to move exactly like it would look in 2D. Meaning that an attack in the game might have 6 frames of animation and the model skips through them so that instead of looking like, say, Tekken or Street Fighter 4, it looks just like a Guilty Gear or Blazblue, despite being 3D rendered. I can't image how difficult it would have been.

If you don't mind delving a little into the technical side, there's an astoundingly good GDC presentation on just this topic!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if Miriam will get unique models for every weapon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am looking forward to Bloodstained and trying not to be hyped for the random castle mode because they will probably gently caress it up

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I belIGA in IGA!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AnonSpore posted:

Guilty Gear Xrd is so good it's kinda problematic because everyone else points at it and goes "Why can't you just do that?" and iirc Xrd took an absurd amount of work to do.

Inti/Fangamer pointed at Xrd and said "there's no reason we can't do that" and even though their game looks better than I expected (especially so early) I still think it was a dumb comparison to make.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if Miriam will get unique models for every weapon.

I've no idea if it'll go though in the final result, but given that one of the Kickstarter blurbs mentions weapon crafting, and showing several weapons 'evolving' via crafting upgrades, I wouldn't be surprised if they do have unique models.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pseudoscorpion posted:

If you don't mind delving a little into the technical side, there's an astoundingly good GDC presentation on just this topic!

There's also more very subtle things that the GDC presentation skips but that are in a technical article, alterations done to 3d transforms so the characters layer over each other and have relative vanishing points like sprites too. They really rethought the whole GPU pipeline to make everything as 2d as possible.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Chev posted:

There's also more very subtle things that the GDC presentation skips but that are in a technical article, alterations done to 3d transforms so the characters layer over each other and have relative vanishing points like sprites too. They really rethought the whole GPU pipeline to make everything as 2d as possible.

Is that tech article available online anywhere? It sounds pretty interesting, and googling just brings up the video.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Motto posted:

I mean, graphics aren't everything, but

What happened with MN9 that made it sorta spiral downhill in the public eye?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anatharon posted:

What happened with MN9 that made it sorta spiral downhill in the public eye?

A few things.

They pushed really hard for the characters and the IP before the game was even out and that really started to sour people on the concept. Very much a "You already love us before you played the game" thing.
Footage of the game came out and it honestly wasn't very impressive looking. People were disappointed with the graphics and the way it wasn't quite Mega Man and wasn't quite not Mega Man.
There were a number of game delays, including one extremely close to launch.
They started a second kickstarter for a MN9 Spinoff called Red Ash before MN9 was even out, including a third Kickstarter for an anime. Midway through the kickstarter rumors came out that MN9 was going to be delayed again which was ignored... until right after the Kickstarter failed and another MN9 delay was announced.
Other games (Shovel Knight is a big example here) came out in the meantime that scratched people's itch for a Mega Man spiritual successor.
A controversy over their PR manager which involved a whole lot of Gamergate bullshit and which nobody ended up happy with.

Basically it was a combination of back public relations and general poor impressions of the game mixed with a lot of delays. If I had to point to a real turning point thought it was Red Ash. People really were unhappy with Red Ash.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 24, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

They voted the wrong Call design as the winner

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if people will still care about MN9 now that it comes out in less than a month.

E: ImpAtom you forgot Inafune jamming Zero in as DLC before the game's even out by throwing him in a blender with Bass and calling it a new character

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If you want another reason why people are increasingly fed up with it, the game has suffered multiple delays (which is not so bad in and of itself, it's all but guaranteed Bloodstained will see delays too) and the kicker is that they keep waiting until practically the last minute to announce it.

And the delays are for some online network bugs thing that most of the fanbase don't care about anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

As an aside, MN9 got delayed yet again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
MN9 legit looks like an ios game, why is it so delayed

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Calaveron posted:

MN9 legit looks like an ios game, why is it so delayed

They're putting in online matchmaking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

As an aside, MN9 got delayed yet again.

Amazing. Just amazing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Don't games have to go gold like at least a month before it's actually released? Seems kinda silly they're still unable to fix big bugs a bit over two weeks before it's out

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Some people are saying there's something else going on with the development that they cannot say for whatever reason. Apparently this is the second time the network has caused the game to be delayed.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Butt Ghost posted:

Some people are saying there's something else going on with the development that they cannot say for whatever reason. Apparently this is the second time the network has caused the game to be delayed.

yeah the something else is "made a bad game" but they don't know how to fix that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

While this isn't confirmed it's pretty likely. The 'network issues' excuse is bundled with discussions of them having to manually fix a bunch of stuff because their engine is no longer being updated which really sounds like there's a deeper developmental issue they're not discussing especially because this is the second time they've waited until weeks before the launch to delay it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Calaveron posted:

Don't games have to go gold like at least a month before it's actually released? Seems kinda silly they're still unable to fix big bugs a bit over two weeks before it's out

The digital age has put an end to that. The month between going gold and release was the time it took to press disks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This is the reason why Mega Man games are dead.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I completely forgot about another reason people soured on MN9: they announced a loving movie before the game was even in development. Oh, and a tv series, a comic....

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Don't forget about the spin-off game. And the animation based off the spin-off game.

What really sucks about Red Ash is that now I have to associate this whole fiasco with MML.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ImpAtom posted:

A few things.

They pushed really hard for the characters and the IP before the game was even out and that really started to sour people on the concept. Very much a "You already love us before you played the game" thing.
Footage of the game came out and it honestly wasn't very impressive looking. People were disappointed with the graphics and the way it wasn't quite Mega Man and wasn't quite not Mega Man.
There were a number of game delays, including one extremely close to launch.
They started a second kickstarter for a MN9 Spinoff called Red Ash before MN9 was even out, including a third Kickstarter for an anime. Midway through the kickstarter rumors came out that MN9 was going to be delayed again which was ignored... until right after the Kickstarter failed and another MN9 delay was announced.
Other games (Shovel Knight is a big example here) came out in the meantime that scratched people's itch for a Mega Man spiritual successor.
A controversy over their PR manager which involved a whole lot of Gamergate bullshit and which nobody ended up happy with.

Basically it was a combination of back public relations and general poor impressions of the game mixed with a lot of delays. If I had to point to a real turning point thought it was Red Ash. People really were unhappy with Red Ash.

Speaking of, I noticed Bloodstained also has a female community manager, and as far as I can tell people aren't throwing a poo poo over it. Even the fanbase is better than MN9's.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is Kojima gonna do a Kickstarter? I can only imagine the ensuing shitstorm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Is Kojima gonna do a Kickstarter? I can only imagine the ensuing shitstorm.

Nah, he's already got his own studio which is being scouted by Sony and stuff.

He's also not really a Kickstarter budget kind of guy. I mean Shenmue 3 got a kickstarter but it's also probably gonna be a weird mess so hey.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'd like to know the thought processes behind some of the Castlevania games' name changes. Like, why Aria of Sorrow instead of Minuet of Dawn?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

I'd like to know the thought processes behind some of the Castlevania games' name changes. Like, why Aria of Sorrow instead of Minuet of Dawn?

The testing focus group kept confusing it with Minutes to Midnight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

voltcatfish posted:

Moonlit Nocturne sounds cooler than Symphony of the Night imo

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

You guys are forgetting the biggest reasons why people got unhappy with MN9. The whole kickstarter was about making something more awesome than megaman where you could absorb powers from every enemy and it would be amazing and incredible. Then they said oh sorry we don't have enough money to do that so the game is now about dashing through things. The whole scope just got chopped to smaller and smaller pieces despite making far more than they were asking for. The beta just was not fun because the mechanics are not good enough to fill the missing gap in the gameplay from removing the absorbing and transforming mechanic.

Everyone could over look the crappy graphics and dozens of kickstarter campaigns for stuff if the game wasn't poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

randombattle posted:

You guys are forgetting the biggest reasons why people got unhappy with MN9. The whole kickstarter was about making something more awesome than megaman where you could absorb powers from every enemy and it would be amazing and incredible. Then they said oh sorry we don't have enough money to do that so the game is now about dashing through things. The whole scope just got chopped to smaller and smaller pieces despite making far more than they were asking for. The beta just was not fun because the mechanics are not good enough to fill the missing gap in the gameplay from removing the absorbing and transforming mechanic.

Everyone could over look the crappy graphics and dozens of kickstarter campaigns for stuff if the game wasn't poo poo.

So it was going to be a Kirby clone instead of a Mega Man clone?