Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Someone posted this on my feed. It asks you for credit card details. Most people turn it off in disgust at that point but it posts that to your wall anyway. Maybe if you pay it marks you higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

dirksteadfast posted:

Isn't the whole point of IQ that it's supposed to average at 100? Like, the number isn't a representation of how many "smart points" you earned, it's where you fall on the curve of everyone in a population. How would the average be 98?

Am I thinking too much about this? I am the IoSM.
It is, but maintaining that average isn't automatic; the scoring has to be periodically renormalized if and as the population performance shifts.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
My favorite online IQ test was an endless series of randomly generated questions that arbitrarily reduced your score the more pages you clicked through. It would email you your result after you clicked away.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

No, "top 81%" is bottom pentile. "Top 20%" is top pentile.

Yeah, I totally switched it up when I read it somehow. Me r smrt. :saddowns:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, I totally switched it up when I read it somehow. Me r smrt. :saddowns:

Probably still above average.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Plom Bar posted:

My favorite online IQ test was an endless series of randomly generated questions that arbitrarily reduced your score the more pages you clicked through. It would email you your result after you clicked away.

That one was from TheSpark a bajillion years ago. It basically said "smart people prepare to be disappointed."

Intelligent people were apparently far, far more likely to keep answering questions and not know what was up. I scored like a 36 on that one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The amount of people that are vocal about wanting children to be spanked on Facebook is horrifying. :gonk:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ratbert90 posted:

The amount of people that are vocal about wanting children to be spanked on Facebook is horrifying. :gonk:

Is it really? I'm firmly opposed to spanking but it was pretty standard practice in the US up until very recently. It's gonna take time to filter out.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

Isn't the whole point of IQ that it's supposed to average at 100? Like, the number isn't a representation of how many "smart points" you earned, it's where you fall on the curve of everyone in a population. How would the average be 98?

Am I thinking too much about this? I am the IoSM.

To be fair to the clickbait Facebook quiz, it does say that's the average for the USA, not the whole world and that the UK average is 100.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rondette posted:

Someone posted this on my feed. It asks you for credit card details. Most people turn it off in disgust at that point but it posts that to your wall anyway. Maybe if you pay it marks you higher.

It may mark you higher, but if you pay, you've actually scored lower than you think.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is it really? I'm firmly opposed to spanking but it was pretty standard practice in the US up until very recently. It's gonna take time to filter out.

It's horrifying because its bad for children in every single conceivable way, and there isn't a single peer reviewed study that supports spanking.

The only reason it sticks around is because people are idiots and refuse to listen to experts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

It's horrifying because its bad for children in every single conceivable way, and there isn't a single peer reviewed study that supports spanking.

The only reason it sticks around is because people are idiots and refuse to listen to experts.

I really cannot wait until the next generation finds out something we do we see as innocuous is actually, legitimately bad so we can experience it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I really cannot wait until the next generation finds out something we do we see as innocuous is actually, legitimately bad so we can experience it.

Obligatory

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Spanking is pretty obviously bad. You are beating a child, it's not hard to see it isn't a good thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Garrand posted:

Obligatory

I commented on this pic already in the last week to say that it's stupid as all gently caress and I'm sick of seeing it, but this time I'd like to draw attention to the implicit apology for slavery. I know that it's not that well hidden. I'm just pointing at it. This is the right thread for me to do that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

CommonShore posted:

I commented on this pic already in the last week to say that it's stupid as all gently caress and I'm sick of seeing it, but this time I'd like to draw attention to the implicit apology for slavery. I know that it's not that well hidden. I'm just pointing at it. This is the right thread for me to do that.

Are you also going to call him a pedophile because of the small child in S&M gear?

Is the point of the comic just flying straight over your head or are you just ignoring it?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I am lucky that most of my friends are normal, hilariously someone just posted this on my timeline:

http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/it-ok-spank-misbehaving-child-once-while

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was spanked as a child and I turned out ok.

Well I have murdered six whores but it's not like their lives were going so great anyhow

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oldpainless posted:

I was spanked as a child and I turned out ok.

Well I have murdered six whores but it's not like their lives were going so great anyhow

your whore-murdering ways are very misogynistic!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

How about you don't judge others and check your privilege shitlord?!?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The Saddest Rhino posted:

your whore-murdering ways are very misogynistic!

Way to assume that all the whores are women, you sexist!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's hard for people to accept studies showing the harm of corporal punishment because it works on the same cyclical nature of more serious abuse. A lot of people pave over the bad memories of punishment, repeating to themselves how necessary it was till they believe it and see it as something their own kids need. That's why people come out of the woodwork on Facebook to defend it. They've internalized it to the point that they're not capable of admitting their parents did something lovely.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Garrand posted:

Are you also going to call him a pedophile because of the small child in S&M gear?

Is the point of the comic just flying straight over your head or are you just ignoring it?

The point is stupid

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Garrand posted:

I'm actually gonna go out on a limb and say it's pretty weird to carefully draw out a child's nipple rings and crotch bulge in a thong regardless of what your point is, yeah.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Picnic Princess posted:

You still have to count the calories of the fries that fell loose into the takeaway bag.

the gently caress you do!

bagglers cast off their caloric shackles the moment they escape their paper prison.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
In one of the earlier incarnations of this thread someone once commented on how passionately people will defend their parenting techniques on Facebook as the only true right way to raise a child, and I'm reminded of that post every time spanking comes up in this thread. While I don't spank my child, I'm not about to automatically condemn those who do or assume they're abusive monsters.

It's just as possible for a loving and nurturing parent to raise a well adjusted child using physical discipline as it is for an emotionally abusive monster to raise a broken shell of a human being without ever laying a finger on them. Raising a human being is a ridiculously complex endeavor that can't be reduced to something as simple as whether spanking was involved or not.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Spanking is only acceptable in a sexual context between two consenting adults imo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CommonShore posted:

The point is stupid

You don't understand the point of satirical hyperbole.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

In one of the earlier incarnations of this thread someone once commented on how passionately people will defend their parenting techniques on Facebook as the only true right way to raise a child, and I'm reminded of that post every time spanking comes up in this thread. While I don't spank my child, I'm not about to automatically condemn those who do or assume they're abusive monsters.

It's just as possible for a loving and nurturing parent to raise a well adjusted child using physical discipline as it is for an emotionally abusive monster to raise a broken shell of a human being without ever laying a finger on them. Raising a human being is a ridiculously complex endeavor that can't be reduced to something as simple as whether spanking was involved or not.

There's nothing loving and nurturing about beating a child, hth.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Try talking to some of the newest crop of feminists. Not every one of them is an idiot, but if the generally idiotic way they use some terms (like cultural appropriation or their views on the selectivity of gender).

The sort of people that spend inordinate times trying to make sure that the laws of a political party aren't "stuck in the gender binary" but when you point out that the laws aren't translated into other languages, which is something actually relevant to the swathes of people of foreign origin in the country and not the tiny minority outside binary, just get irate and confused.

Anyway, have some more horrifying Nordic people.
https://www.facebook.com/dr3dk/videos/979485122098229/

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Desk Lamp posted:

Think about the kinds of people who passionately defend hitting a being that can not reasonably hurt them back. That's what spanking your child does.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Eponine posted:

Think about the kinds of people who passionately defend hitting a being that can not reasonably hurt them back. That's what spanking your child does.

There was a good summary of spanking I saw once, albeit much better phrased. Does your child have the ability to understand why they are being spanked?

Yes - then loving talk to them instead of hitting them.

No - then don't loving hit them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eponine posted:

I was spanked as a child now I'm a goon. :negative:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Your Computer posted:

There's nothing loving and nurturing about beating a child, hth.

What if I say "This hurts me more than it hurts you" before I do it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Nuebot posted:

I was spanked as a child now I'm a goon. :negative:

I was spanked a single time and look where I am now :negative:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I was spanked as a child and now I advocate not doing it. The system works.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I remember getting a firm pat on the rump as a kid, but my parents deny that they ever hit me. I can't trust my memories and/or parents :tinfoil:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mng posted:

I remember getting a firm pat on the rump as a kid, but my parents deny that they ever hit me. I can't trust my memories and/or parents :tinfoil:

"firm pat" is a funny way of saying "beating" .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Goons who complain about spanking were obviously not smacked hard enough as children :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

If you spank your child I sincerely believe the government should kill you in front of your child.

Slowly.