Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

well they've said they have 10 hours of lovely mocap thus far

so they need to film another 5 to get to 15 hours of "gameplay" for ep 1

Alright so that's ep 1. The rest will have...what, a different cast? Try and get the gang back together?

I mean I'll be surprised if ep 1 ever gets finished but hypothetically, if they're banking on making enough from that to fund more multi-million shoots that is laughable. Though given that they seem to be hoping that's going to make enough cash to finish the other massive game they've promised that's probably a minor concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's hard to keep track, but the latest word on Squadron 42 is it's going to be released in episodes, right? If that's the case, have they filmed all of the footage for Crobber's epic cutscenes at once?

At least until he decides to waste more time and money by having everything redone because he's a colossal gently caress-knuckle.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's good

instead of 1 AAA game we're getting not 2 but 6 AAA games, and if you buy now you get them all 2 or 3 of them for the low price of £35.10!

it's fine

its ok

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.
I got a little bored and well.. it just sort of happened. Please don't sue me Derek Smart.

The refund is good! The jpeg is evil!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

it's good

instead of 1 AAA game we're getting not 2 but 6 AAA games, and if you buy now you get them all 2 or 3 of them for the low price of £35.10!

it's fine

its ok

Well according to many of the fine folk over at /r/starcitizen what we're actually getting is a "triple AAA" game. So that's even better value.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Well according to many of the fine folk over at /r/starcitizen what we're actually getting is a "triple AAA" game. So that's even better value.

9As! i'd remortgage my house for that many As!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

catte intrudin on our DnD session to swot the tablet map. cattes are best

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Did someone not make a downfall vid with Chris Roberts as Hitler a while back? Can't find it on youtube.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

"gently caress your quest, I demand food! "

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they deleted the thread about the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the fourth stimpire :(

For the library of congress:

[quote=Zealot,
highcharitysuite] Posted: December 2015
In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire. [/quote]

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Finally caught up with the thread after dropping out in, like, December or something. Good stuff.

Also, here's my dumb catte:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hakimashou posted:

they deleted the thread about the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the fourth stimpire :(

For the library of congress:

wait that's just that report tony blair used to justify the iraq war except "iraq" has been replaced by "stimpire"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

My catte has been sitting behind a picture frame just staring at me without moving for at least 45 minutes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

That would be perfect with a James Bond intro barrel overlay and music.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Tippis posted:

How difficult would it be to do a mix of mocap and, say, Source's face posing system? In other words, you use the performance capture to build a library of emotes and syllables (with a couple of different emotions represented) and then “just” feed the system the script, letting it create the animation rather than rely on constant re-shoots whenever you want to add something new.
Any capable animation system will have it so you can have someone walking and talking with independent cylces systems controlling the face separate from the head and from the body. So you can have a mo-cap walk cycle independent of a hand animated talk cycle.

CryEngine can do this and it uses the Annosoft synch engine which can match up with a text and voice recognition system much like Valve's. You then go in and add expressions to the rest of the face so it doesn't look dead.

Now most lip synch animation doesn't aim to replicate a human mouth 100% as we don't snap to set positions when talking so animating every phoneme would look a bit bizarre or take up a ton of time so visemes were developed as a shorthand to easily mimic human speech in an animated form.

Now each head model has to have it's phonemes and visemes modelled in Maya beforehand so the synch can merge the correct mouth positions. I suspect if you tried a one size fits all you'd start distorting the model.

I suspect they have taken data of all of the actors pulling their best parrrrp face to use as a backup for any redo on dialogues without zipping them into a gimp suit for the day....but they love the hard way....

Mocap facial animation still requires to be passed through Maya/Max and cleaned up (like removing all of Sandi's blinking) and then attached to a face rig and exported out. The main problem is a basic 3D head in a game doesn't have as much detail and flexibility as you would for a movie so compromises have to be made for it to work.
It's really disingenuous smoke and mirrors to be showing off cinema level mo-cap systems in your promotional videos where you are ultimately using only a fraction of it's power.

Compare this to something like Force Unleashed's method where they only used facial capture (adapted from ILM's CloneCam) but had multiple actors in the room so they could play off each other and react. The animators did the rest by hand.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

alf_pogs posted:

Also, this is a cool catte. When me and my friends play D&D my catte just crawls up in someone's lap and demands tummyrubs, she doesn't even care about all the shiny dice and mans being pushed around the table.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWS_mV2-FM&t=195s

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

People have been saying Ben's more natural on AtV than Sandy, but he's not really. After scanning through a few videos of this for gifables you'll see how he's got a very limited set of emotes mostly involving waving hands and flapping arms, and it's probably his entire exercise at this point.

Didn't Ben get his hands exclusively on some assets when Origin kicked the bucket? Then sat on them and distributed them to those chosen by him?
Imagine CIG folds and Chris gives Ben this big stack of hard drives with jpges and poo poo, and then Ben becomes the head priest and starts showing a few pictures and 20 seconds of video once a year. All to keep the dream going till CR comes back so that everyone is ready.

Ben can remember his lines. That thing school children do in kiddies first nativity play.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WebDog posted:

:words:

Compare this to something like Force Unleashed's method where they only used facial capture (adapted from ILM's CloneCam) but had multiple actors in the room so they could play off each other and react. The animators did the rest by hand.

Neat.

Of course, using Force Unleashed as an example might not be the best choice since, while the face animations were mostly serviceable, the body animations were pretty atrocious. No-one seemed to be able to appear in a cutscene without stomping, as if every planet (and ship and starbase) in the universe was filled with knee-high water.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesCoote/20160125/264204/An_OUYA_Story.php

This an example of the kind of thing we can expect to see when CIG collapses. It's a post-mortem of the hilariously crappy Ouya microconsole written by one of its most outspoken supporters. He almost completely fails to identify any of the reasons this junkbox was a disaster, and places much of the blame on external forces. Of particular note is the entire section talking about haters and trolls.

Ouya had just a fraction of the rabid support Star Citizen receives. There will absolutely be some die-hards who try to keep the dream alive for years to come and who will blame Derek Smart and goons for ruining their dreams. That is good, it should keep the comedy train rolling for a good long while.

e: for anyone who didn't follow the Ouya shitshow it had some parallels to Star Citizen but was most notable for the nearly unbelievable incompetence of the people in charge. This involved things like: shipping charts which were blatantly hand-drawn in MS paint and would change dates and figures from week to week, claiming various features and games that were never going to happen ("root button", "Minecraft will be on it") and promoting That Dragon, Cancer (a game about a terminally ill child) with a Tweet that read "GET SOME".

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 29, 2016

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Can someone tell me why exactly these guys need to have so many god drat studios? I've been reading through the thread, on and off, and I've got the impression that they've got something ridiculous like 8 studios located in various parts of the world?

What do they need these places for? Apparently its not for developing a playable game, given that the impression I'm getting is that their "Star Marine" segment is going to have just 2 game modes with one map each (and yet their backers poo poo on EA. Even EA managed to ship Battlefront with more content than that). Their Squadron 42 thing that no-one seems to even want anymore is going to now come out in 5 different parts instead of one full game, I can only assume this is because they're running short on cash and are hoping that the first part will be so astoundingly good it'll draw in new backers for their .jpeg Ship Persistant Universe, when the money will actually be spent on the remaining 4 parts of Sq.42?

Did they ever explain why they are trying to shoehorn a persistent universe game into something running on Cryengine? How they hell do they expect the scaling of that to work? I understand that theres a playable PU alpha thing available? How well or poorly doesit run once you get more than about 25 players in the same zone? I should imagine it runs like absolute dogshit given the trouble PGI had increasing the amount of Mechs in MWO to 24 Players per map (and they too had money thrown at them by the bucketload).

Tell you what, I'm glad I never put any money down for this game, figured I'd just wait and see how it all turns out in the end before buying anything. In terms of entertainment value gained so far, its definitely the best bang for buck game I've spent no money on.

Also, this fat mans necklace, that he always wears. Its a cocaine stash, right, like the below?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The collapse will basically spawn several hundred Lesniks. Each operating their own Star Citizen fan site. Then, when Chris Roberts finally breaks free of the filthy haters and trolls in 20XX he will have many positions filled automatically. How many... what is Ben's role again?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Also, this fat mans necklace, that he always wears. Its a cocaine stash, right, like the below?

That would be better than the reality, which is that it is a bauble called the Pilgrim's cross from the critically acclaimed hit movie Wing Commander. I think he even wore it on his wedding day.

Also I'd like to add that I love it when a new person joins the thread and expresses disbelief at the state of things. It's easy to forget how utterly ludicrous this thing sounds when you've been following it for years and each stupid event is followed by something even more mind boggling.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 29, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tindahbawx posted:

No, it's the Pilgrim's Cross - a prop from the Wing Commander movie

He wears it like a religious cross.

e:f:b

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

My catte has been sitting behind a picture frame just staring at me without moving for at least 45 minutes.

It's a photograph. There never was a catte.

2 spoopy.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Catte under the tree

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I think once all this has finally blown up and Professor Doctor Derek Smart is doing his retrospective on why everything failed, we'll find out that a lot of the leavers had been skimming jpegs the whole time, funneling them into off-shore image hosts to pay for their retirement. It's not Chris Robert's fault at all that they ran out of jpegs to sell.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

That would be better than the reality, which is that it is a bauble called the Pilgrim's cross from the critically acclaimed hit movie Wing Commander. I think he even wore it on his wedding day.

Just....wow. Is there anything about Star citizen or its head employees that isn't a trainwreck or a non-stop stream of cringeworthy comedy?

Also I'd like to add that I love it when a new person joins the thread and expresses disbelief at the state of things. It's easy to forget how utterly ludicrous this thing sounds when you've been following it for years and each stupid event is followed by something even more mind boggling.
I'm amazed that theres people that still seem to think that anything about this games development process is in any way normal, and are genuinely still expecting the final product to be of such quality that it completely redefines gaming. The scope of the PU and what they've promised for it is so broad that I'd genuinely be surprised if more than about 20% of their backers get what they were expecting from it, if it releases at all.

fuctifino posted:

He wears it like a religious cross.
Maybe some of these Redditors need to get one, after-all they behave like a cult.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 29, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

One single-use Store Credit Buyback per ATV

Citizens up in arms, today is a good week for CIG :allears:

Its a great thread. Loads of angry posts, hardly anyone going "but Turbulent!" It's cool how quickly reddit is turning on CIG

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ugh I just realised that "UEC" stands for United Earth Credits

why the hell does every sci fi thing have "credits"

it's as lazy and boring as the rest of this shitshow.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tindahbawx posted:

Just....wow. Is there anything about Star citizen or its head employees that isn't a trainwreck or a non-stop stream of cringeworthy comedy?

there is no comedy in the fourth stimpire

and no, there's no bottom to this pit :getin:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

:captainpop:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Such Fidelity!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gilganixon posted:

ugh I just realised that "UEC" stands for United Earth Credits

why the hell does every sci fi thing have "credits"

it's as lazy and boring as the rest of this shitshow.

Chris has the most impressive lack of imagination in gaming

He's got to have read and watched a lot of sci fi. It's like he did a lowest common denominator search and scrapped anything that's not grey and unimaginative

There's no compromises in his quest for the perfect boredom

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Erin Roberts has had a descent run at producing acceptable games for two decades.
That's about it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

My wife still thinks I am bullshitting her about the 15K spaceship package despite showing her the store page.

She asked me once why I keep reading a thread for a game that isn't out and I have no interest in playing. There really is no way to properly verbally capture the essence of SC without sounding like you had a mental break, so I just explain it as a thread with cat pictures and funny videos.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tortolia posted:

My wife still thinks I am bullshitting her about the 15K spaceship package despite showing her the store page.

She asked me once why I keep reading a thread for a game that isn't out and I have no interest in playing. There really is no way to properly verbally capture the essence of SC without sounding like you had a mental break, so I just explain it as a thread with cat pictures and funny videos.

It's basically your standard daytime soap opera at this point, only with less believable characters and plot arcs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Seriously, even if the game as promised were to be released I wouldn't be impressed. I've looked at the Star Citizen wikia, and everything is poo poo

He's got poo poo aliens, poo poo humans, poo poo space physics, poo poo lore. The only impressing thing about it is the amount of poo poo promised.

Just look at the bits of Sq42 we've seen - the Bishop speech, Morrow tour, Steve "Old Man" Colton. Everything is exclusively generic, unimaginative poo poo. Chris is such a poo poo writer he couldn't hold a candle to the loving Stimperor

10 hours of mocapped cut scenes in a game with a really, really good story would still be a bad idea. 10 hours of Chris is a loving death sentence

• Locked thread