Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Entropic posted:

Vaping is like gaming, as long as you don't capitalize it you're probably fine.

:master:

Love it, not sure if deliberately ironic, very clever, accidental genius, trolling or just obeying the rules of grammer. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Our reception desk is staffed 24/7 (hospital) and the night/weekend shift is allowed to use streaming sites to provide some entertainment. Tonight at 02:30 I get a call on my on-call pone:

:downs: "Hey, it's Mr. Shithead from reception. The internet seems slow and I can't watch my streams."

:stare: "Uh, you realize it's two-loving-thirty in the morning? You know that this number is reserved for actual emergencies?"

:downs: "Well, I just thought you wanted to know that there's something wrong. Anyway, now that I have you on the phone, could you remote in and see if you can fix it?"

:commissar:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

wtf dude go home and take some rest

Did you swap the PSU('s)? Maybe RAM but I suppose it's ECC?

PSU issues can cause all kinds of issues.

Boss is probably awake by now, I just shot the technical update to us technical people and mentioned I'm handing off as soon as he arrives. He was doing this Tuesday night into yesterday AM.

I could see RAM being an issue. Down hard at the disk side, though, I'm all for the backplane being the next part. Which, by the way, is awesome in that HP didn't have any on the East Coast. California had the nearest compatible backplane. It's slated to arrive at or before 10:30 AM, the tech shortly thereafter.

I'm not sure about the PSUs, though. The root of all this: at some points, either at low operation or performing a task, the server just hangs. Shares drop, RDP connections drop, the console lets you move the mouse around but it doesn't take ctrl-alt-del or any other keystrokes. iLO soft reboots don't work, requires a press and hold or just a physical hard shutdown.

Did I also mention this is a ~Storageworks X1600~ and as such it's not really the same as a Proliant, and thus it never showed an error light? Nor does it have error lights for components, or even a general "something's hosed up, load up the management homepage and call support" light?

Double also HP will only support it if you use Storage Server 2008, which is its own awful bag of tricks.

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you push HP for a new system and just move the disks and RAID controller across?

Has that ever worked for anyone? I'm dying to know what eldritch abomination one must make a pact with in order to get HP to do a complete system swap.

We pushed for the backplane yesterday and will see what's up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

An email blast came in:

This links to http://192.185.[sweetjesusfuckdon'tactuallyclickonthis]/~transfem/[goddamn]__gb/dbox/index.[christ]php.

It was sent by my boss, BCC'd to his entire contact list. His Google Apps account is super admin. I work at an MSP, and the last hour has been answering calls from our clients and damage control.

RIP my job, I guess.

We've had a few people fall for this... Whatever this thing is, it logs into your GApps account, sends that same email to EVERYONE in your contact list. And as it sends them it deletes your contacts, clears out your inbox, and sent mail.

The website link phishes your Gapps login info and then tries to get you to download a Word document with some obfuscated macros. Likely it installs some sort of Cryptowall variant.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 28, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stevewm posted:

We've had a few people fall for this... Whatever this thing is, it logs into your GApps account, sends that same email to EVERYONE in your contact list. And as it sends them it deletes your contacts, clears out your inbox, and sent mail.

The website link phishes your Gapps login info and then tries to get you to download a Word document with some obfuscated macros. Likely it installs some sort of Cryptowall variant.

Best thing was when CEO got one and gave me a call. "What is my google docs info". He was trying his exchange password, I had him change that just in case and to call the person who sent it. Who he insisted he was expecting something from and wasn't answering their phone. This is hilarious because he has a zero tolerance policy about clicking "fake links". People have been fired for falling for phishing attacks that were really well done or installing a virus from a fake invoice.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

pixaal posted:

Best thing was when CEO got one and gave me a call. "What is my google docs info". He was trying his exchange password, I had him change that just in case and to call the person who sent it. Who he insisted he was expecting something from and wasn't answering their phone. This is hilarious because he has a zero tolerance policy about clicking "fake links". People have been fired for falling for phishing attacks that were really well done or installing a virus from a fake invoice.

We hold several "computer basics" classes every year at our various branch locations. Covering such things as starting word documents, basic spreadsheets, etc.. And another session we call "How to not be stupid on the internet". One thing we spend a LOT of time on during this is identifying phising emails. I go through my SPAM folder and save as many examples as I can find just for demonstration purposes. We constantly remind staff to be suspicious of any link or file they receive and to call support anytime they are unsure. This does result in some calls about files/links that are definitely legitimate, but we would rather be safe than sorry.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Any of you work for CERN's networking department?

If so, I'm so, so, sorry:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/cern-engineers-have-to-identify-and-disconnect-9000-obsolete-cables?utm_source=vicenewsfb

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

:stonklol:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pixaal posted:

So you're interviewing candidates for CEO then?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kyrosiris posted:

Just wait until you meet a vaper that mixes their own liquids. It's like an unholy combination of a tinker and an alchemist. :stonk:

(My boss is one. He has a tackle box that he keeps vials of ingredients and finished liquid in.)

I've been making my own juice for over 6 (7?) years now.
Before vaping really caught on you couldn't just go online and order juice, you had to make it yourself.
And mods? HAHAHA You had to MacGyver something out of an old flashlight, cable connectors, surgical supplies, and RC cars.

hazzlebarth posted:

:downs: "Well, I just thought you wanted to know that there's something wrong. Anyway, now that I have you on the phone, could you remote in and see if you can fix it?"

:commissar:

adds youtube, hulu, and netflix to the webfilter
Fixed.

That is absolutely horrifying. How the gently caress did it get like that in the first place?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rundll32.exe inetcpl.cpl ResetIEtoDefaults is the "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning" of the service desk. It's amazing just how much random bullshit it fixes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is absolutely horrifying. How the gently caress did it get like that in the first place?

quote:

Over the years, Evrard said CERN had a “not-so-good habit” of simply leaving old cables in situ when they were replaced, and piling the new ones up top. Now, removing the old ones is not as straightforward as you might think. Each cable in the PS Booster, for instance, is about 50 metres long, travelling from the surface buildings at CERN’s Geneva base down underground to the injector.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

stevewm posted:

We hold several "computer basics" classes every year at our various branch locations. Covering such things as starting word documents, basic spreadsheets, etc.. And another session we call "How to not be stupid on the internet". One thing we spend a LOT of time on during this is identifying phising emails. I go through my SPAM folder and save as many examples as I can find just for demonstration purposes. We constantly remind staff to be suspicious of any link or file they receive and to call support anytime they are unsure. This does result in some calls about files/links that are definitely legitimate, but we would rather be safe than sorry.

I love getting calls to check emails and even if its a perfectly fine email. I thank the user and tell them if they aren't sure in the future to please continue to let me know so we can verify that the email isn't a scam. I probably save time checking a few emails a week compared to cleaning up crypto messes. I have tested known good backups of everything on the network so even that wouldn't be too long.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Leaving old cable in situ isn't even a rare occurrence. If you work in a building taller than 4 stories odds are half the cable in the runs is dead as gently caress, because the contract doesn't cover pulling old cable and gently caress doing it yourself.

EDIT: Still no excuse for leaving the terminated ends all over your datacenter. Label that poo poo, coil it up and stick it in the ceiling if it still works.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 28, 2016

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The headline says they have to identify the lines still. I guess they didn't budget a label maker.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

From my understanding it's cable that's either proprietary, broken, or otherwise EOL. And there's so much of it that not only are they running out of room, they're having difficulty removing what's there due to pressure friction.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kurieg posted:

From my understanding it's cable that's either proprietary, broken, or otherwise EOL. And there's so much of it that not only are they running out of room, they're having difficulty removing what's there due to pressure friction.

Just remove all of it and rewire the entire thing.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

stevewm posted:

That definitely seems to be the case with the (thankfully) very small number of users who actually clicked the link in the email. 95% of those were using Chrome and got the red "phishing link detected" screen and didn't go any further, but I still scanned their computers to make sure. The last handful were using Firefox or IE or whatever, clicked the link, got to a fake Dropbox login page saying "You can now login with your email account", then actually entered their loving credentials. Only one of them was actually using Google Apps, so I'm definitely going to check to see if any filters were added to their account and whatnot - the others have Exchange addresses, so I just having them change their passwords and stay vigilant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in.
Front Desk: :supaburn: ALL PHONES ARE DOWN! CAn'T CALL IN OUR OUT!
Me: :smug: I'm sure everything is fine... checks... :stonk:

Lync basically poo poo the bed and our entire dial plan just ... disappeared. :stonklol:

I just happened to take a back up last night because I was doing something completely unrelated... I think? :confused:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

One of our remote offices far away from me was having severe trouble with their connection on and off the past few days. Ping times would be 1000ms+ for hours at a time, so working on remote desktop was practically impossible for them. I couldn't find anything unusual with my limited access, and Time Warner even came out and replaced the modem yesterday. Still had problems.

Eventually someone casually mentioned that "this only seems to happen when [supervisor] is in the office." Turns out every time her phone connected to the wifi, it crippled their whole connection. This is the first time I've encountered someone causing problems by literally walking through the door. And people wonder why I'm reluctant to give out the wifi passwords at our main offices.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Was she running OSPF on her phone or something?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Or was it infected with malware?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

wa27 posted:

One of our remote offices far away from me was having severe trouble with their connection on and off the past few days. Ping times would be 1000ms+ for hours at a time, so working on remote desktop was practically impossible for them. I couldn't find anything unusual with my limited access, and Time Warner even came out and replaced the modem yesterday. Still had problems.

Eventually someone casually mentioned that "this only seems to happen when [supervisor] is in the office." Turns out every time her phone connected to the wifi, it crippled their whole connection. This is the first time I've encountered someone causing problems by literally walking through the door. And people wonder why I'm reluctant to give out the wifi passwords at our main offices.

Never let cellphones on the main work network. Shove them onto a bandwidth limited guest network if they really HAVE to have wifi on their phone while at work.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, I hated that at my last job, I need Z drive access!

I think if I had been in charge, I'd have set up DFS so everyone maps to one server which then gives folders based on access lists.

devmd01 posted:

Ding ding ding! Single mapped drive to a dfs namespace with folder enumeration is amazing. Access auditing is easier, cloning someone's security access for a new hire is easier, and if you break out each department to a separate drive/share, you can more easily limit the space hoggers.

This was from several pages back, but I'm interested in reading more about this. Anyone have any recommended starting points where I should look?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol scientists and academics are hoarders.

:ohdear: I really gotta start deleting ancient commented out code. It's not a useful reference to anyone anymore!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

FireSight posted:

Never let cellphones on the main work network. Shove them onto a bandwidth limited guest network if they really HAVE to have wifi on their phone while at work.

This. This right here.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

FireSight posted:

This is what we do, works great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KillHour posted:

Was she running OSPF on her phone or something?

nexxai posted:

Or was it infected with malware?

No idea. It's her personal phone and I rarely see these people so I'll probably never find out. I told her she at least might want to keep an eye on her data usage, but I don't think she cares much.

The guest network thing is a good idea. Right now I just disallow all mobile devices as a rule at our two main offices but I'll consider doing something like that. This was one of our smaller 3-man operations that are usually just set up with a home router and no VPN to the main network.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

This was from several pages back, but I'm interested in reading more about this. Anyone have any recommended starting points where I should look?

I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I remember getting it going on a VM in a few hours.
The roles you need are "DFS Namespaces"and "DFS Replication"
I'd select the default File and Storage Services as well.

Then open DFS Management and start creating namespaces.

This guide seems pretty close to how I remember it.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
so this week someone sent x amount of personnel a nasty bug.

_none_ of the receivers opened it. not. a. single. one.

I guess I have done something right...

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Emushka posted:

so this week someone sent x amount of personnel a nasty bug.

_none_ of the receivers opened it. not. a. single. one.

I guess I have done something right...

We're switching to Office 365, about 20% of our users have written in asking if the Unified Messaging email they receive is legit.

Brought a tear to my eye.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

This. This right here.

"so what's the wifi password?"
- IEEE 802.1X. no password.

"but....but...but....)

Company policy. :smug:

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

We're switching to Office 365, about 20% of our users have written in asking if the Unified Messaging email they receive is legit.

Brought a tear to my eye.

we have an emplyee of the month from IT perspective. you should probably start this.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

quote:

NOT POSSIBLE TO WORK ON THE COMPANY INTRANET !
> THE SALES DEPARTMENT DOESN'T MAKE HIS JOB....

The entirety of the ticket. That can go to the bottom of the pile.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Emushka posted:

we have an emplyee of the month from IT perspective. you should probably start this.

That's a great idea.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

DigitalMocking posted:

Me: :smug: I'm sure everything is fine... checks... :stonk:
I hate those moments.

"Why hello, manager whose people are always loving up the same things! How are you? Oh, one of your new people is reporting a system error? How charming! They probably closed the wrong window or typed a password incorrectly. Well, let me just try and replicate that error and ohhhhhhhhhhh poo poo."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FireSight posted:

Yep, anyone worth their salt will do this - at my job that's how it's segregated out for internal and external folks. One internal wifi for domain laptops/tablets, separate lower-bandwidth for mobile phones, and a guest network completely separate from those two for clients or other non-employees to use.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
After the boss came in to relieve me at around 8:15ish yesterday, I went home, napped a few times, and am back today for more ~restore fun times~

One of these days I'll post the details, there's just so much to sort through, but I got such a nice thank-you from one of the folks who works here for all that we're doing, even though it's not done yet. :3:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MJP posted:

After the boss came in to relieve me at around 8:15ish yesterday, I went home, napped a few times, and am back today for more ~restore fun times~

One of these days I'll post the details, there's just so much to sort through, but I got such a nice thank-you from one of the folks who works here for all that we're doing, even though it's not done yet. :3:

You are getting paid or getting comp time even if you are salaried right? Pulling a few all nighters should get you 40hours comp easy. Word it as "Week off when things settle down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why did someone need admin rights to delete a shortcut? :3:

• Locked thread