Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Spankshamers!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Rob posted:

You don't understand the point of satirical hyperbole.

I do, but if you think that stupid op-ed comic is witty and clever, or its point either interesting or profound, you are literally the most easily impressed moron in the world.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm a huge fan of Tim Kreider but that comic is one of his worst

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's almost as if people who were spanked as kids have a slight anger towards those who spank their kids!

I was hit as a kid and raised with a military disciplined dad, and it hosed me up bad. I was more submissive in my life and unquestionably accepted authority.

It's not a surprise that I am very hesitant of authority and people who hold control over others.

The biggest flaw in spanking your kids is the fact that there are families out there who have raised awesome kids without ever hitting their child.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

If it worked as a punishment, then they wouldn't have to do it more than once. :shrug: (it never works out that way, funny)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Snoo posted:

If it worked as a punishment, then they wouldn't have to do it more than once. :shrug: (it never works out that way, funny)

Yes, that's why nobody ever gets more than one parking ticket.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Youtube comments are fair game, right?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

You realize real quick it's only people that were spanked as kids that heavily advocate for it, you don't get people that weren't spanked suddenly gung ho about it.

Also, it looks like someone just discovered their feeder fetish in that Youtube comment.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, that's why nobody ever gets more than one parking ticket.

I understand your point and I thought about it that way, too; however, adults are completely autonomous and responsible for their own actions, as opposed to literal children who rely on their parents for everything.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kicked a child in the face today! (self.childfree)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

CommonShore posted:

I do, but if you think that stupid op-ed comic is witty and clever, or its point either interesting or profound, you are literally the most easily impressed moron in the world.

Tbh I think it's an interesting question to consider but yeah the actual comic is just creepy with its bdsm child and weird racism analogies

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Kicked a child in the face today! (self.childfree)

:frogon:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

Worked on my oldest child. I spanked her once. In the ten years since she's never done anything so wrong as to require a physical response. Whether that's the exception that proves or disproves the rule I don't know.

It's a tough debate because how you discipline is very subjective, until it's objective, and then it's often too late.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i get it... you spank

Well, not anymore.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jan 29, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i get it... you spank

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

People who are like "I got spanked as a kid and I'm well-adjusted now!" are so lacking in self-awareness that it's almost like a parody.

"My parents hurt me for discipline, and I'm fine! Wait, what do you mean hurting my kids is bad? gently caress you!"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Krispy Kareem posted:

Worked on my oldest child. I spanked her once. In the ten years since she's never done anything so wrong as to require a physical response. Whether that's the exception that proves or disproves the rule I don't know.

It's a tough debate because how you discipline is very subjective, until it's objective, and then it's often too late.

Well, not anymore.

It's neither. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

It's neither. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

If I've learned anything from the internet, it's that anecdotes are as good as hard evidence.

#notallspankers

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CommonShore posted:

I commented on this pic already in the last week to say that it's stupid as all gently caress and I'm sick of seeing it, but this time I'd like to draw attention to the implicit apology for slavery. I know that it's not that well hidden. I'm just pointing at it. This is the right thread for me to do that.

Travis343 posted:

I'm a huge fan of Tim Kreider but that comic is one of his worst

Sounds like the talk of someone who owns animal slaves.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fathis Munk posted:

Tbh I think it's an interesting question to consider but yeah the actual comic is just creepy with its bdsm child and weird racism analogies

:frogon:

quote:

Not on purpose however. I was at my local gym doing ring muscle-ups, which include a lot of swinging to get your body above the rings! This other gymgoer decides to bring their 9? year old child who thinks its okay to run around without care. Sneauflayke decided to run right below where i was swinging and caught my backswing after dropping down flinging her a couple feet back! Mombie decides this is my fault because I wasn't watching where her child was at? WTF! How is it at all my responsibility to make sure your stupid kid is not behind me running around while i workout!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

If I've learned anything from the internet, it's that anecdotes are as good as hard evidence.

#notallspankers

Apologise to your daughter.

for fucks sake dan
Nov 30, 2015
S/he could have just paraphrased that to "I believe crossfit legitimately works" and it would have been just as IoSM

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

TinTower posted:

Sneauflayke 

:allears: good ol' child free.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

trapped mouse posted:

Sounds like the talk of someone who owns animal slaves.

Not anymore :smith:

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

This was posted in earnest?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

I think this is a quote from American Psycho

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Just a guess...but this "Mike King" character was probably very publicly supporting are police when they were beating down Black Lives Matter protesters, perhaps even defending the various questionable police shootings of recent years?

In fact, I bet there is close to 100% overlap between the groups of people having those opinions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Venn diagram is just a single circle.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I too wonder why no-one gives poor people a harder time instead of attacking the rich who rightfully use the world for their own delights.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Every race has been enslaved at one time or another in history..quit whining and take responsibility for your actions

find the history that was hid away...MORE IRISH PEOPLE WERE SOLD INTO SLAVORY THAN BLACK/AFRICAND

And yet you never hear any Irish-Americans whine about it or hold present day Americans responsible.

SORRY GOT SIDETRACKED....BUT SERIOUSLY LOOK IT UP>>>IRISH SLAVORY

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

From a CNN article about the Zika virus.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Elderbean posted:

But if I'm an anti-vaxxer do I worry more about the Zika virus or Autism?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Indolent Bastard posted:

But if I'm an anti-vaxxer do I worry more about the Zika virus or Autism?

yes

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

:derp:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Elderbean posted:

What ever happened to ebola?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Every race has been enslaved at one time or another in history..quit whining and take responsibility for your actions

find the history that was hid away...MORE IRISH PEOPLE WERE SOLD INTO SLAVORY THAN BLACK/AFRICAND

And yet you never hear any Irish-Americans whine about it or hold present day Americans responsible.

SORRY GOT SIDETRACKED....BUT SERIOUSLY LOOK IT UP>>>IRISH SLAVORY

Well, first off, Google decided to search for something different when I tried to look it up. :haw: Post this to them:
‘Irish slaves’: the convenient myth

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Senf posted:

What ever happened to ebola?

Liberal Leftist SJW Propaganda

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well, not anymore.

Congrats, you hurt and frightened your child into behaving. Your kid never did anything to require a physical response in the first place. Jesus.

E: lol, zika being caused by GMOs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Worked on my oldest child. I beat her once. In the ten years since she's never done anything so wrong as to require a physical response. Whether that's the exception that proves or disproves the rule I don't know.

There we go, I fixed that for you, at least say what you did instead of sugar coating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Krispy Kareem posted:

It is really not subjective at all, actually

Corporal punishment may "work" in that it stops the undesirable behavior, but study after study after study have linked it to externalizing behavior later in life, and viewing violence as an acceptable method of venting emotion or stopping behavior they don't like in others :v:

e: The second article makes a good point in that spanking leads to the kid resorting to violence themselves, which will get back to the parent and cause MORE spanking, etc.

Panic! at Nabisco has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jan 29, 2016