Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

stevobob posted:

Bolt is a terrible name for a car. It fits a motorcycle, in the case of Yamaha, but not a car, and especially not an electric car.

Oh come on. It's corny, but there's clearly a play of relevant words going on. Bolt can be to scamper off quickly or an instance of lightning, which is very electric indeed. The Chevy Volt however, that was an utterly uninspired named. It's like called a gas powered car the Chevy Horsepower.

But we'll get it with a snappy name in Europe. Perhaps the Opel Schnellhochspannung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

smackfu posted:

$30k for a Focus with 76 mile range. No wonder the Bolt is getting attention.

That's $22,500 after the same tax credit that brings the bolt down to $30k, and the options fall somewhere in between the $19,700 SE hatch and the $24,200 titanium hatch.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ola posted:

2. Battery pack is bolted on the ICE version where there was room - in the luggage space.
3. The two previous points should do, let's illustrate #2 with an IKEA run

I did not know it was this bad, yeah, cross it off the list if it wasn't before. Gosh that's awful. Clearly they had no commitment to its success. (Edit: not to mention what a heavy load mounted that high in the rear will do to handling).

Yeah the leaf ticks the right boxes for me... Except I hate the dorky front end. I want Tesla sexiness for Leaf money.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 16, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
For as much as Ford has several different hybrid/electric options, the options themselves are pretty mediocre. Though the Fusion hybrid seems mostly decent.

They need a dedicated platform for an electric ASAP.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Compliance for manufacturer is calculated across the offered fleet rather than the sold/in-service fleet, right?

Measure it on weighted average efficiency of in-service vehicles and see what happens :lol:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Powershift posted:

I can't wait for taxi companies to lobby this into a new price bracket.

Don't want to get sworn at by a sex offender who has never had a shower? that'll be a $10 driverless levy.

Unless, of course, the taxi companies themselves get in on it. Of course, that would make it harder to lobby away the competition without exposing themselves to antitrust suits.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
A NC Dealership just emailed me they have 2016 Volts. We were not supposed to get them until 2017. I guess with gas at 1.69 they aren't flying off the lots so the other states could afford to ship a few here

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Wow...

I had no idea those were that bad. Why even have a hatchback at that point?

There's a guy around my town who got one when they were brand new and seemed to use it as a commuter car. Seeing that cargo area makes me wonder if it would actually be good for anything else.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It really is terribly packaged. Here's a pic without the body:

I wonder how different the weight distribution is from the ICE Focus.

It's perhaps unfair to compare it with the Tesla, which is amazingly well packaged:

But the Leaf is a fair comparison:

Nice. While it's probably based on other Nissan designs, it was a new platform built for purpose.

EV conversions in an ICE body, just say no.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I totally don't understand why you would choose a tall box in the hatch that takes up part of the floor, vs a lower box in the trunk that takes up the whole floor.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

smackfu posted:

I totally don't understand why you would choose a tall box in the hatch that takes up part of the floor, vs a lower box in the trunk that takes up the whole floor.

They are probably sold at a loss for r&d and to meet some silly government requirement so I doubt they actually want a lot of people buying them

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ola posted:

Nice. While it's probably based on other Nissan designs, it was a new platform built for purpose.

I mean yeah I'm pretty sure they opened up Versa.autocad and had at it to make the Leaf, but they really had at it. Mine's been great for trips to Costco and Ikea.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

smackfu posted:

One reason I can think is that you don't want the battery pack to be the first thing hit when rear ended.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Saukkis posted:

One reason I can think is that you don't want the battery pack to be the first thing hit when rear ended.

Ford doesn't really have the best track record with that kind of thing.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Ola posted:

The Soul EV doesn't have any weird packing issues and was an ICE vehicle originally. It also has fast charging, a 100 mi range and comes well equipped with Nav/heated seats etc for $34k before the tax credit

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dammit, this always happens when I make bold, sweeping statements. The Soul is indeed a great EV.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Do any of you volt owners have a reason why I should not buy a used 2012 or 2013? They sell for about the comparable price of a Nissan Sentra. I am turning in my 2012 leaf at lease end. It has lost one bar.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

2013 got a slight range boost, and is the last year with the electric (and remote) charge door release. I think the interior patterns on the seats changed for 2014, as well.

Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the idea.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

First naming rumor of Chevy Bolt euro version: Opel Blitz. Good translation of "bolt", also great name for fast vehicles emerging from Germany!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't have a garage or a carport, just a driveway that goes right up along the side of my house. Will I be able to have an electrician install a car charging port on the outside? I live in northern California so no snow, some rain, maybe 2 or 3 frosts a winter.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep I know some people who have done that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's two electric cars on my street, both Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) and both of them have outside charging points with no overhead cover here in rainy old England.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ola posted:

First naming rumor of Chevy Bolt euro version: Opel Blitz. Good translation of "bolt", also great name for fast vehicles emerging from Germany!

Uhhhh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neobgX2EeTg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Opel Blitz: Berlin to Warsaw on a single charge

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

88h88 posted:

There's two electric cars on my street, both Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) and both of them have outside charging points with no overhead cover here in rainy old England.

Have you noticed them being plugged in during actual rain? And perhaps if the electrical point has some kind of little cover over it?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

So they'll both be crossovers then

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ranter posted:

Have you noticed them being plugged in during actual rain? And perhaps if the electrical point has some kind of little cover over it?

It's raining now and it's sat on the drive plugged in, yeah. The charging point has a flip open socket and the Leaf has little drain holes for when you're charging it in the rain. I imagine all the connectors are pretty well sealed.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cool cool. Thanks for the info.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
My Leaf has never been under a carport here in rainy Washington and I charge it every day in the pouring weather. I'm pretty sure there's demo videos from Nissan of the Leaf charging under a torrent of water from a fire hose. I plug it right into the side of the house and there's no overhang there, though I'm pretty sure it's a GFCI outlet.

It's as safe as you can get.

I DID buy an extension cord cover when was plugging the leaf into a 30a outdoor cord, though. Just for where the charging brick met the cord because I'd have to leave it draped in an area that tended to puddle. Also, I loathe that 90 degree plug for just that reason.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mortanis posted:

I DID buy an extension cord cover when was plugging the leaf into a 30a outdoor cord, though. Just for where the charging brick met the cord because I'd have to leave it draped in an area that tended to puddle. Also, I loathe that 90 degree plug for just that reason.

Yeah, this. Mine has a kink in it because there's only like six inches between the brick and the end of the plug so if you don't have something to put the brink on, it get bent out of shape. I ended up just wrapping the cord around the outlet once to at least support the brick a little bit.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

duz posted:

Yeah, this. Mine has a kink in it because there's only like six inches between the brick and the end of the plug so if you don't have something to put the brink on, it get bent out of shape. I ended up just wrapping the cord around the outlet once to at least support the brick a little bit.

Why not just glue a little shelf there for the brick

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mange Mite posted:

Why not just glue a little shelf there for the brick

I'm in a parking garage & parking lot, not my property.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

duz posted:

I'm in a parking garage & parking lot, not my property.

3M Command strips?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ask permission?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Goodwill priced footstool?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla is getting yelled at today because they cancelled the order of a complaining customer. This customer is a (self described) venture capitalist and apparent auto blogger.

The drama is very boring, but in this post he complains about an event: https://medium.com/@salsop/dear-elonmusk-you-should-be-ashamed-of-yourself-ca3d266882a4

Here he says that post got his Model X order cancelled: https://medium.com/@salsop/banned-by-tesla-8d1f3249b9fb

Perhaps there's more to it, perhaps not, I don't really care that much. Seems like there's two dumb parties at least to that fight. But anyway, what grabbed my attention was the BMW-review mentioned in the "banned by Tesla"-post. It is absolutely hilarious.

https://medium.com/@salsop/my-car-makes-me-feel-stoopid-8ba59c03b3c8

Choice quotes:

quote:

I paired my phone using Bluetooth. But it wouldn’t always work. When I asked the service guy at the dealer, he asked how many contacts I have in my phone. (Contacts? WTF?) I have 11,000, by the way. Service guy said that BMW tried to load all the contact into memory to you can call any of them from the steering wheel (and maybe voice?). He said it choked after about 1,000. No work around.

Cruise control is so non-intuitive that I have nearly run off the road trying to figure out how to turn it on. The way to turn it on is a lever that is hidden from the driver behind the steering wheel.

The worst ignominy is what happened yesterday: I’ve been traveling for two weeks (not driving the car). I discovered yesterday that you can lock the car when it is still running! I think this has happened before, including when I park on the street, but I let myself believe that I was just not paying attention. But yesterday, I noticed that the lights were still on so I went back to the car, unlocked it and relocked it, just to make sure.
The engine was still running the whole time.

This guy wanted a Model X because it was a computer on wheels, when a BMW X1 out-teched him so hard he left it idling and didn't know. In context it seems like he left it two weeks, but that seems a bit too much.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One of life's greatest pleasures is firing a customer. Sometimes it just isn't worth it, and they usually make an rear end of themselves trying to gain sympathy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What a dumb motherfucker. 11000 contacts in his phone? I bet only about a dozen actually speak to him because they know he's a knob.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm going to bet he works in sales and imported his company's entire Salesforce directory to his phone. We had a couple of people at a previous job do that by mistake and crash their phones which couldn't handle 20k+ contacts.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He doesn't work in sales, he's a well-known VC and press sort.

I think Musk was way out of line here, but it's his company I guess.

• Locked thread