Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Belzac posted:

Where do you get the artifact armor from then?

Oh wait it gives you both sets at the same time? :psyduck:

Yeah, presumably so you get a modest ilvl jump once you hit 50 and can start hitting (some of) the HM dungeons immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Belzac posted:

Where do you get the artifact armor from then?

Oh wait it gives you both sets at the same time? :psyduck:

Yep. 2 of everything but chest at 45, then the chests at 50.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

You can throw the i50-55 AF gear into the armoire at least if you ever want it for glamors without taking up inventory space. Of course because this is the armoire if you augment it so you can dye your AF gear then you can't store it in the armoire anymore! You can't dye the i90s at all though, some of their textures you can't replicate with dying the AF set.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Once you're done with them you can turn them in for a decent amount of Seals I guess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I can preset the distance?

When using a controller, the game will remember where your ground target is relative to the camera. So you can activate Shukuchi whenever, move the ground target to a reasonable spot, and then cancel Shukuchi. The next time you use it the target should already be in the spot you set it.

This applies for all ground target effects though, and it can get annoying if you regularly switch between, say, Bard and Dark Knight. Basically ground targeting is the worst part of the gamepad controls.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thundarr posted:

When using a controller, the game will remember where your ground target is relative to the camera. So you can activate Shukuchi whenever, move the ground target to a reasonable spot, and then cancel Shukuchi. The next time you use it the target should already be in the spot you set it.

This applies for all ground target effects though, and it can get annoying if you regularly switch between, say, Bard and Dark Knight. Basically ground targeting is the worst part of the gamepad controls.
Thankfully, most ground target AoEs need to go approximately "a medium distance ahead of you," so you can mostly keep it in one place for playing SCH/SMN, WHM, BRD, and even BLM if you decide to use Freeze for some reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ground affects need the press twice to drop centered on current target feature from SWTOR and other games I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
gently caress a3s gently caress this stupid cum golem gently caress fcuk fuckck

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

A3S is the best boss fight in Heavensward. I have great opinions.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
The final boss of the arboretum reminds me of:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Nidhogg's attacks were taking something like a third of this guys HP with each hit. I barely touched DPS keeping his scrawny rear end alive the entire fight and then he gets all "healers should heal and not dps" well I would if you weren't loving spreading your rear end in a top hat wide open to the boss and letting him plough you like a 2.0 floorgoon

e: yes I mad

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 29, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:yikes:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since the question has come up a couple times, I can speak from personal experience on playing ARR on one system while having HW on another.

You can level any class up to 50 on either system
You do gain armory bonus on the ARR system up to 50 even if your highest class is >50 or HW-only
You can swap to a >50 class on your ARR system without getting screwed over
If you are 50 or higher, you gain 0 XP for mobs/quests/etc if playing on an ARR system
Quests added in HW cannot be done on your ARR system, even if intended for <50
If you log out in a HW area, you cannot log in on your ARR system
You are not level synced beyond normal amounts if you do any content as a >50 character in ARR
You cannot enter any HW dungeons on your ARR system, either as >50 or =50
You can equip and use any HW-only items that your characters could normally use on your ARR system
You are not locked out of equipping any >50 gear on your ARR system if your character can already equip it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

Nidhogg's attacks were taking something like a third of this guys HP with each hit. I barely touched DPS keeping his scrawny rear end alive the entire fight and then he gets all "healers should heal and not dps" well I would if you weren't loving spreading your rear end in a top hat wide open to the boss and letting him plough you like a 2.0 floorgoon

e: yes I mad

I'm not sure your logic makes sense here.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I mean.. yes healers should dps but... maybe if your tank is squishy garbage you could not dps and heal the tank instead.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also, if your tank is squishy garbage, check not only their cooldown usage but their leftside gear. Unlike in several other games, the basic defense and magic defense stats have a pretty drat appreciable effect in this one.

In 4-player dungeons at any rate, cooldown usage also makes a more observable effect on trash packs (especially in HW content) than it does on bosses. For most bosses, a suitably geared tank is perfectly reasonable to heal with minimal cooldown usage and in their DPS stance.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Going straight to "shut the gently caress up" seems kinda goony, but I don't know if there were arguments about healing beforehand.

Like, the tank seems put out to have to use cooldowns, and the healer is mad that the tank is too squishy.

I liked the "driving test" line.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Why are paladins bad? I was thinking about leveling up a gladiator after I get Ninja to 60, but maybe I shouldn't.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bog pixie posted:

Why are paladins bad? I was thinking about leveling up a gladiator after I get Ninja to 60, but maybe I shouldn't.

I think PLD is currently joked about because its DPS capabilities are limited compared to WAR and DRK.

But you should play whatever job you want because nobody actually cares.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cleric Stance dancing just feels kind of lovely in general though. I am all for Healers throwing their dots and aoe and such during pulls and low damage phases but man do I wish Cleric Stance didn't exist. It's just a delay in getting back to healing if you need to, or a delay getting to throw your DPS spells because they do completely worthless damage without it.

They could have made healer dps skills just you know, scale with healer stats instead.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

bog pixie posted:

Paladins are good, they're just limited in bleeding edge content because their damage output (especially AoE) is noticeably lower than other tanks. But if you're not pushing world firsts, you'll be perfectly fine and have fun with it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Paladin trades offensive strength (mostly AOE DPS) for extra defensive cooldowns and protection. It doesn't mean the class is worthless but FFXIV content is currently at a state where extra group DPS is a much bigger benefit than some extra sturdiness on the tank, so PLD suffers accordingly in the meta.

Edit: I dig PLD quite a bit, even if the class design feels kinda like a test run for DRK. I also have no problems running PLD in any group content I want to run. There are times, however, where DPS in a group feels low and I am limited in my ability to pick up the slack and it's a bit frustrating.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 29, 2016

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Kettlepip posted:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Paladins get made fun of because they're a class that focuses on being incredibly hard to kill at the sacrifice of damage output, when the current game meta encourages tanks to just be hard enough to kill while maximizing their DPS.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My first dungeon death came about due to a Bomb. Yeah, checks out.

I wonder how feasible it would be to get my Fieldcraft jobs to max or close as soon as possible just to get the trudge out of the way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

Paladins are good, they're just limited in bleeding edge content because their damage output (especially AoE) is noticeably lower than other tanks. But if you're not pushing world firsts, you'll be perfectly fine and have fun with it.

Yeah, they aren't "bad" they just aren't as good as DRKs or WARs, because they do less DPS.

In addition to bleeding edge content, I'd argue that they're noticeably a little worse even in casual content, just because it means clears are going to take a little longer than if you were playing as DRK or WAR. But it honestly doesn't matter that much, we're probably talking maybe a difference of a minute or two to clear the dungeon, tops--if you have fun with the class, play it, they're fine.

I'm actually a hyprocite and play PLD because I like all the pretty lights

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 29, 2016

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Sentient Data posted:

Since the question has come up a couple times, I can speak from personal experience on playing ARR on one system while having HW on another.

You can level any class up to 50 on either system
You do gain armory bonus on the ARR system up to 50 even if your highest class is >50 or HW-only
You can swap to a >50 class on your ARR system without getting screwed over
If you are 50 or higher, you gain 0 XP for mobs/quests/etc if playing on an ARR system
Quests added in HW cannot be done on your ARR system, even if intended for <50
If you log out in a HW area, you cannot log in on your ARR system
You are not level synced beyond normal amounts if you do any content as a >50 character in ARR
You cannot enter any HW dungeons on your ARR system, either as >50 or =50
You can equip and use any HW-only items that your characters could normally use on your ARR system
You are not locked out of equipping any >50 gear on your ARR system if your character can already equip it

This is so hosed

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Paladins are garbage at all levels of content. Anything you do on Paladin you could be doing better on Dark Knight.

Also when everyone says poo poo like "they trade offense for defense" is just pretty much wrong. Or they're right and the Paladin is just poo poo at trades. The amount of extra survivability they get is so minuscule and the extra dps they give up is so massive that you really need a fight specifically designed for pld cooldowns to even notice. If it wasn't for hollowed ground you wouldn't even be able to tell right now they're supposed to be more survivable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oxxidation posted:

My first dungeon death came about due to a Bomb. Yeah, checks out.

I wonder how feasible it would be to get my Fieldcraft jobs to max or close as soon as possible just to get the trudge out of the way.

It's certainly doable if you just mean straight leveling, but it will cost you a LOT of gil to keep up with gear especially once you hit 50+, and there's a couple areas you just plain can't get into without progressing through HW MSQ. So it's really not recommended past 50.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

Paladins are garbage at all levels of content. Anything you do on Paladin you could be doing better on Dark Knight.

Also when everyone says poo poo like "they trade offense for defense" is just pretty much wrong. Or they're right and the Paladin is just poo poo at trades. The amount of extra survivability they get is so minuscule and the extra dps they give up is so massive that you really need a fight specifically designed for pld cooldowns to even notice. If it wasn't for hollowed ground you wouldn't even be able to tell right now they're supposed to be more survivable.

No one can stunlock like a pld. Thats pretty much their only benefit though.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Mr. Nice! posted:

No one can stunlock like a pld. Thats pretty much their only benefit though.

No one can TP out and do no damage while attempting to stunlock like a pld.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also they're boring as gently caress to level because they have only one low power damage combo all the way to level 54.

So yeah, don't bother with paladin. This isn't goon hyperbole, they really are garbage right now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Play whatever class you want.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

No one can TP out and do no damage while attempting to stunlock like a pld.

I only did it a few times when I was subbing in someone else's group, but it is nice to be able to just run around and take care of pretty much all the mucilage stuns by yourself. There's also leviathan ex at i90 when pld stunlocking was vital.

But yeah, not really much else.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kettlepip posted:

Last night I main tanked A3S for the first time with my fairly scrubby i200 DRK and a healer with connection problems. The group made it past add phase a few times and most of the wipes weren't even my fault!

I have no idea why but the fight felt more fun and chill as MT than as a DPS.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Stunlocking is never going to be vital again for PvE content because there are only two jobs in the game that can stun repeatedly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thundarr posted:

I have no idea why but the fight felt more fun and chill as MT than as a DPS.

The more chill part is pretty much true of all fights.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Klades posted:

Stunlocking is never going to be vital again for PvE content because there are only two jobs in the game that can stun repeatedly.

Yes and no. You have to stunlock the hands on the final phase of A3S and plenty of people do that fine by distributing the stuns between the tanks and melee. You lose out on 2 seconds of stun over PLD solo stun locking, but you also lose a lot of DPS by having a paladin stand there with his dick in his hand stunlocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
This isn't a callout to Belzac and it isn't a personal thing as I don't play PLD, but it's Hallowed Ground. I hear it a lot in voice chat and it bugs me.

• Locked thread