Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

EngineerSean posted:

now just register the username Demosthenes on PredictIt and watch the dollars flow in

So who gets to be Locke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Garrand posted:

So who gets to be Locke?

I assume the free market will provide

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

I think it's really interesting that the GOP markets are much, much more heavily traded than the Dem ones. I wish I could extrapolate meaning from it. Maybe it's just the shitshow this year.

If Bernie wins Iowa, the Dem nom market will start going nuts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arkane posted:

If Bernie wins Iowa, the Dem nom market will start going nuts.

If Bernie wins Iowa, the “Bernie wins presidency” market will go nuts (even more than it has already). The problem I have is that it will stay like that for a while. Even if I think he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in Hell, people will hold on to hope till the convention.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I'm shocked that Trump's IOWA.YES is only at 63 cents. Seems like a complete steal, I'm putting $100 into it right now.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gibberish posted:

I'm shocked that Trump's IOWA.YES is only at 63 cents. Seems like a complete steal, I'm putting $100 into it right now.

You should have gotten in right after he said he wasn't doing the debate, it briefly dipped to 55c ;)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

You should have gotten in right after he said he wasn't doing the debate, it briefly dipped to 55c ;)

That wasn't as huge a swing as it could have been. I'm in for Trump YES at .60, and it's still not bumped much higher.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gibberish posted:

I'd be cautious, like usual, with Trump bets. We're in totally uncharted territory with him skipping the debate. I personally expect him to win but it's not that certain.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
There's also still questions about his ground game in Iowa, and how many of his supporters are first time caucus-ers.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Jesus, as I check now, Trump is up to 72 in Iowa.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I more or less broke even on the whole Trump debate thing, but my nerves are fried both betting on him or against him. I'm going in heavy for Hillary to win South Carolina. She's leading by about 30 points and its unbelievable that this is trading at 80, not 97.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I more or less broke even on the whole Trump debate thing, but my nerves are fried both betting on him or against him. I'm going in heavy for Hillary to win South Carolina. She's leading by about 30 points and its unbelievable that this is trading at 80, not 97.

Yeah that's probably a good freebie, timetable sucks a bit though.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'm basically all-in for Trump in Iowa right now. I think if I had more to put down on it I would, since it's such a sure thing he's going to win.

I hope.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Hm, so it looks like the debate ratings will be lower than 18.9 million after all. Too bad. I was hoping the controversy would push it a little higher. Goodbye 23 cents.

Gibberish posted:

Yeah I'm basically all-in for Trump in Iowa right now. I think if I had more to put down on it I would, since it's such a sure thing he's going to win.

I hope.

With my serious money I'm split between Trump Iowa YES and Trump Nom YES, really hope this pays out too!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gibberish posted:

I hope.

I still have some Cruz for Iowa so I kind of hope you're you're wrong. But why don't you spread some over to NH? I got in there when it was still in the 50s but at these prices NH is not much more expensive, is a week longer and so much more of a sure thing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Something I've never understood: what's with all the comments supporting predictions? Isn't that irrational to do, if you're actually stating what you believe, since it's encouraging the market to move against your moneymaking? Or are they all saying the opposite of what they think?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Half the posts are trolls imo, but the other half are genuine. People just like talkin'. I think it's that simple.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pretty much. While everybody's in it to make some cash not everyone wants to screw everybody else over. Some people just like the discussion

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a total deposit limit? I saw something like 4500 a few pages ago, not sure if that was accurate or not.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Something I've never understood: what's with all the comments supporting predictions? Isn't that irrational to do, if you're actually stating what you believe, since it's encouraging the market to move against your moneymaking? Or are they all saying the opposite of what they think?

People get maxed out, whether by the 850, their own bankroll, or their risk tolerance....and they're trying to move the market in their direction.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

The comments really do impact the market, it's a little bit unnerving to see it unfold. People are very easily persuaded or frightened.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jewel Repetition posted:

Before buying in, you want to troll the comments and push the price to its heights of irrationality. After you’ve bought all the shares you want, though, it’s in your interest for the market to “correct” to what you believe to be its true value as soon as possible. So you drop hints in the comments with the goal of hastening this process.

I think there’s probably more of the latter going on that the former.

In the DPRK nuke market, for example, I think most of the “CNN confirms (that North Korea claims) it was an h‐bomb!” and “but boosted fission makes this a tough call” were insincere, efforts to push down the price of “NOs”. Then the comments started calling out “wow, y’all are dumbasses because that wasn’t an h‐bomb and the CTBTO won’t call it one even if it had been”, which was great because I didn’t want to hold till the end of the year.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I still have some Cruz for Iowa so I kind of hope you're you're wrong. But why don't you spread some over to NH? I got in there when it was still in the 50s but at these prices NH is not much more expensive, is a week longer and so much more of a sure thing

Gonna roll the money I make from Iowa into NH

plus, it's almost a sure thing that Trump wins anyways so why not

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Trump to sweep the first 4 seems like a better value than Trump Iowa right now but a lot can happen in 23 days.

Hillary looks solid to win Iowa based on polling direction and demos.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
finally got something to show my pa to make him proud of me

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i finally lost most of my initial deposits, now it's time for firm self discipline.

I'm gonna abstain for a while, read the Bible, continue studying German, and reflect on how i must bet with my smarts not with my hearts

I know drat well how to win at this, but my will was weak and my patience lacking

Maybe I'll spend a hundred bucks to try again after tax time and build it up again

I gotta say though, I started with just enough money for a night of stupid entertainment and was able to ride it for nearly a month, not bad for fun spending.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i finally lost most of my initial deposits, now it's time for firm self discipline.

I'm gonna abstain for a while, read the Bible, continue studying German, and reflect on how i must bet with my smarts not with my hearts

I know drat well how to win at this, but my will was weak and my patience lacking

Maybe I'll spend a hundred bucks to try again after tax time and build it up again

I gotta say though, I started with just enough money for a night of stupid entertainment and was able to ride it for nearly a month, not bad for fun spending.

Ask God to forgive you for your sinful pride, then spend your next hundred bucks on an actual investment instead of wasting it on the degenerate vice of gambling.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Squalid posted:

Ask God to forgive you for your sinful pride, then spend your next hundred bucks on an actual investment instead of wasting it on the degenerate vice of gambling.

Actual investment is not unlike gambling

Using the blessings of sound mind and keen vision to grow wealth isn't a sin, but the lust for money and thrill of winning certainly is

Protip: donate a healthy portion of any winnings to charity, as an offering to God for your blessings

I suggest ministries, Bernie, or independent media if you're into those type of things

Commie NedFlanders has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Jan 29, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Double post placeholder!

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

EngineerSean posted:

finally got something to show my pa to make him proud of me

hmmm ok?

If Cruz wins you get $0. If Trump wins you get $16 bucks. I'm not too sure what you were trying to go for here.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

watwat posted:

hmmm ok?

If Cruz wins you get $0. If Trump wins you get $16 bucks. I'm not too sure what you were trying to go for here.

You're reading that backwards. If Cruz wins he gets $0 from that contract because he bought Cruz no, but that ignores the other rows. The column before the last one tells what his total take home will be after all the contracts in this market settle, if each respective candidate wins.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Actual investment is not unlike gambling

this comment makes me sad. I hope it's a joke

meanwhile, I'm way overexposed to trump in early primaries/caucuses. Is anyone holding RNOM rubio or jeb shares to cash in once the establishment lane clears up? Feels like one of those two is going to get a big surge before Super Tuesday, but I'm worried it's already priced in given how cheap kasich/christie are...

Gibberish posted:

Gonna roll the money I make from Iowa into NH

This could be tough. in 2012 the IA caucus was called for Romney after the vote, but he had only "won" by 8 votes out of 125K cast. It was 17 days before they called it for Santorum. If it's close, it could be weeks before it pays out or prices go to 99/1 or whatever

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

thethreeman posted:

this comment makes me sad. I hope it's a joke

people like to differentiate, but investing is definitely gambling. you are betting your money/taking a risk in order to try to turn that stake into more money. obviously much less risky than betting on political races, but you're also only going to average ~7% a year in returns on your bet.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Not sure if anyone's interested, but DNOM is having a weird moment over the Hilary email news.

Biden YES went all the way up to 11, and there's still a bunch of NOs available for 93 cents, at least for now.

Long time until payday, and not exactly a jackpot, but if you already have NOs in the market, you might be able to pick up more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Not sure if anyone's interested, but DNOM is having a weird moment over the Hilary email news.

Biden YES went all the way up to 11, and there's still a bunch of NOs available for 93 cents, at least for now.

Long time until payday, and not exactly a jackpot, but if you already have NOs in the market, you might be able to pick up more.

:wtc:

You can buy “no” for Biden winning the general election for only slightly more.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

thethreeman posted:

This could be tough. in 2012 the IA caucus was called for Romney after the vote, but he had only "won" by 8 votes out of 125K cast. It was 17 days before they called it for Santorum. If it's close, it could be weeks before it pays out or prices go to 99/1 or whatever

There's abso-loving-lutely no way anyone other than Trump wins in Iowa, it's not gonna even be close

edit: a word

Gibberish has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jan 30, 2016

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
lol

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

watwat posted:

hmmm ok?

My risk is negative three hundred dollars (roughly), I didn't think I'd need to spell out that 1000 shares of Cruz.NO @ 45 and 1000 shares of Trump.NO @ 28 was a guaranteed huge win.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gibberish posted:

There's abso-loving-lutely no way anyone other than Trump wins in Iowa, it's not gonna even be close

edit: a word

I watched The Big Short last weekend and it opened with a quote by Mark Twain. It was something like people don't get in trouble by not knowing something. But what ruins them is knowing an absolute truth that turns out to be wrong.

So bet on Trump winning, have fun, but don't bet ALL of it on Trump, unless all of it is like $30 or something.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Well yeah of course I diversified my bonds, black friend

I'm just saying its drat near 99% Trump wins going by all indicators. Even if his plane crashed and burned on the eve of the caucus, he'd still have a decent chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

By all means bet all of it on Rand losing though, that poo poo ain't gambling

• Locked thread