Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ZenMaster posted:

Hard job keeping all those balls in the air.

This is really good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Loud Fart posted:

What is the technical reason behind the lovely animations and retarded ship physics in this disaster? Is it missing/poor coding? Haven't people been able to to play in Arena Commander and the PU for some time, and it's still like this?

Is this even fixable?

I hope not, otherwise a major source of entertainment would dry out.

I just think the developers don't have a thorough understanding of everything. I'm sure they are all very talented, but it takes a long time for a developer to "adjust" and learn the intricacies of the framework.

In one bug smasher episode, the guy made an "optimization" in the engine. It appeared to be a fairly simple change, but I had to imagine the guys that wrote the original code had a reason on why it was written like that. I have no doubts that little tweaks like that take place everyday and the ramifications aren't immediately noticed. Then a couple weeks down the road some weird bug pops up (elevator, backpack, shotgun, etc) and no one has a clue. When you hear in the videos "we have no idea why this happening, we just shifted some code around and now it works" does not exactly exude confidence.

Not a slam at all on the developers talents. It's not a fun job to be whipped and have someone breathing down your neck everyday for results due to the failure of project management.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So today we get the live show, right? Reverse the Verse or whatever?

I actually want to watch this trainwreck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

spacetoaster posted:

Good lord, don't be so cynical. Probably just a car wreck that was full of kittens level.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen: Imagine Four Studios on the Edge of a Cliff

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Colostomy Bag posted:

I hope not, otherwise a major source of entertainment would dry out.

I just think the developers don't have a thorough understanding of everything. I'm sure they are all very talented, but it takes a long time for a developer to "adjust" and learn the intricacies of the framework.

In one bug smasher episode, the guy made an "optimization" in the engine. It appeared to be a fairly simple change, but I had to imagine the guys that wrote the original code had a reason on why it was written like that. I have no doubts that little tweaks like that take place everyday and the ramifications aren't immediately noticed. Then a couple weeks down the road some weird bug pops up (elevator, backpack, shotgun, etc) and no one has a clue. When you hear in the videos "we have no idea why this happening, we just shifted some code around and now it works" does not exactly exude confidence.

Not a slam at all on the developers talents. It's not a fun job to be whipped and have someone breathing down your neck everyday for results due to the failure of project management.

It's a bigger problem than this, the CryEngine is fundamentally unsuited for the type of game they're trying to make. The fact that they've pulled off as much as they have is miraculous. They could have the most talented programmers in the world with perfectly run project management and they still wouldn't be able to design the game they're promising. They're trying to build a fortress on a foundation of quicksand.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ZenMaster posted:

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
even if I don't post as much as I do, this thread is honestly wonderful for when I need to take a workbreak and just laugh at terrible things

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's a bigger problem than this, the CryEngine is fundamentally unsuited for the type of game they're trying to make. The fact that they've pulled off as much as they have is miraculous. They could have the most talented programmers in the world with perfectly run project management and they still wouldn't be able to design the game they're promising. They're trying to build a fortress on a foundation of quicksand.

Those awesome animated GIFs that AP posted show this. The ships STILL have no mass or inertia. Like, at all - they just jank around. It's awful.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like the high admiral or whatever who got banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/435jew/one_singleuse_store_credit_buyback_per_atv/ - this poo poo

lmao

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

ZenMaster posted:

This...this might be the best summary of Star Citizen to date.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Madcosby posted:

Star Citizen: Imagine Four Studios on the Edge of a Cliff
one studio falls off the cliff and two of the remaining studios get bigger

CIG works the same way

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Has Sandi "Pusher" Gardiner caused any more lead programmers to get into bicycle "accidents" and break their wrists?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I spent all yesterday either doing important adult things or eating hamburgers with friends, so I'm 1000 posts behind. ONWARDS!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You hire a bunch of performance capture artists who are all the same size, have them do whatever motions are necessary, and then slap on the heads of the actors. Or better yet you skip the head poo poo entirely and just use their voices, since nobody gives a poo poo that Gary Oldman is playing Gary Oldman.
This is how Metal Gear Solid did things. All the motion capture was done separately from the voice recordings/facial capture. This way, you could have multiple actors for a single character where necessary (Snake typically has two actors - one for drama/talky scenes, one for action/shooty poo poo scenes).

It also gives the voice actors videos of a stuntman in a latex suit pretending to be a monkey, helping them to cheer up after doing particularly grim scenes. :v:

Lime Tonics posted:

Squadron 42 : The Star Marines within

in partnership with squeenix.

Special guest star, aerith.
Not even Squeenix is dumb enough to make the same reputation-killing mistake twice. They keep their movie department reigned the gently caress in nowadays, trapped within the confines of five-minute-long FMV sequences and PS4 tech demos. And honestly, that's probably for the best - that FF14 intro video that's been linked multiple times throughout the thread is sweet as hell, probably at least in part because it's only a few minutes long so they don't have to stretch it out.

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I prefer 'tism tokens myself.
Please do not disparage Australia's finest balaclava clad pop-pranksters, thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwI2NrVYqIE

Barnsy posted:

The funny thing is, 15 hours is gently caress all. The witcher 3, ONE GAME, with a much smaller budget, gives you a minimum of 90 hours of gameplay. The DLC (for 10 bucks) adds another 10 hours, and there's a second bit of DLC that'll add another 20.

Once again, SC underachieves.
To be fair, The Witcher was made in Poland, which has a lower cost of living than friggin' LA, Austin and Manchester.

Tippis posted:

How difficult would it be to do a mix of mocap and, say, Source's face posing system? In other words, you use the performance capture to build a library of emotes and syllables (with a couple of different emotions represented) and then “just” feed the system the script, letting it create the animation rather than rely on constant re-shoots whenever you want to add something new.
You can create blendshapes (which are what Source uses for facial anims) out of bone positions in Blender at the least (so it's almost certainly possible in Maya and co), so yeah, creating a collection of Gary Oldman Phonemes, Eyebrow Poses etc. and using fancy algorithm stuff to translate the mocap info into instructions for the cutscene to use would be possible. It'd need hand-tweaking, of course, but doesn't all mocap?

Hell, modders have figured out ways to read the input from a standard webcam and use it to pose HL2 character faces in Garry's Mod. A $100 million studio divided across continents can probably sort something more refined out.

Gilganixon posted:

ugh I just realised that "UEC" stands for United Earth Credits

why the hell does every sci fi thing have "credits"

it's as lazy and boring as the rest of this shitshow.

Gilganixon posted:

it's seriously dumb. currency says a lot in fiction using the least possible words. I mean you could have the UEE (the UEE is a stupid and cliched thing as well but let that slide for now) using Renminbi or Roubles and in no time and zero effort you've worked something interesting into the background there, whether or not you choose to expand on it.
My favorite dumb sci-fi currency was the one in Anachronox... the "loonie", named after the Canadian one-dollar coin, which somehow became the standard unit of currency for the entire galaxy due to "a freak of galactic commerce". :haw:

ZenMaster posted:

Clearly a photoshop, they don't have "DELETE ME" written on them in white Impact font.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly think we are at the tipping point as some people have mentioned lately

like look at this thread and how many people are angry at CIG https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/435jew/one_singleuse_store_credit_buyback_per_atv/

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
How I imagine every Reddit SC post

http://i.imgur.com/bgoN3hl.mp4

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

i wonder if the big news that dsizzle is talking about is some kind of CIG insider trading/double dipping in the grey market

like how that eve online dev spawned a bunch of rare blueprints for his alliance and they made a fortune

only this is with realbux instead of spacebux

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ash1138 posted:

i wonder if the big news that dsizzle is talking about is some kind of CIG insider trading/double dipping in the grey market

like how that eve online dev spawned a bunch of rare blueprints for his alliance and they made a fortune

Literally nothing would make me happier

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

I honestly think we are at the tipping point as some people have mentioned lately

like look at this thread and how many people are angry at CIG https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/435jew/one_singleuse_store_credit_buyback_per_atv/

I know this has been said a lot over the last couple of threads but I also really do think it's starting now.

e; I like how the top comment is blaming Turbulent. Like Sandi is simply unaware of what's happening and a tweet away from flying into a panic over the perception that this is somehow a cash grab.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 29, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ash1138 posted:

I never even considered that. Holy gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TTerrible posted:

He who controls the jump dust controls the universe?

Sort of. More of a heavily democratized spice without the addictive psychotropic qualities.

tooterfish posted:

Jump dust?

Chris has already got that covered, commando.

:ninja:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It makes sense, and I remember reading a novel about that (Overdraft by John Jackson Miller). The whole premise was about finding things aliens coveted that humans did not give a poo poo about. So basically a Rogue Trader with less genocide.

Back when I gave a poo poo I remember coming up with the idea of a universal currency that would be a commodity that was critical across all the races. I called it "jump dust" and the idea was that it was this ultra rare material that you could harvest while traversing a jump point. The appeal would be that it was critical for making jump drives so everyone would want it and there would be a natural currency sink. The mass of dust could be the unit.

One of my favorite fictional currencies would have to be the C-Bill from the Mechwarrior universe. When the Asimov Foundation esq collapse of the government/resulting military fallout took its toll on the galaxy's infrastructure the ability to communicate between worlds was maintained by a neutral party and the amount of data that could be transmitted was utilized as a the economic standard of the inner sphere.

It's good stuff and, given how communication works in the SC universe, I thought it would have been a good system there too.

But I guess it makes more sense to back the value of the credit against the US dollar.

craptown
Oct 7, 2001
Now, this is a story all about how
My verse got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
just come right in
I'll tell you how I became a whale of star citizen

In the 4th Stimpire born and raised,
On an alpha was where i spent most of my days
Buggin out crashin' and bashin' vanduul
All postin' my delusions in a reddit cesspool
When a couple of goons, they were up to no good
Started shitposting in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and the mods got scared
And said "don't let Derek's trolls fool you this is not vaporware"

I bought into the ship sales day after day
Then they said an unmelt system was on its way
All my credits were there but the system was broken,
Gotta buy back with cash, 'cos there's only one token

Million mile high club, yo this is bad
Drinking hairy roberts out of a champagne glass
Is this what wing commanders of SC living like?
PAAAARP this might be alright.

But wait i hear they're toxic, spergy, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
When i get there i'll see
I hope they're prepared for another whale in SC

Well, i asked a question "when's SM coming out?"
Chris became annoyed and began to pout
"Star Marine was just a game mode
With 2.0 it's always been here"
He sprang with quickness to the UK, disappeared

I went to r/starcitizen and it became clear
The backers lost patience, kept getting hosed in the rear
If anything I could say CIG's starting to slip
But i thought 'Nah, forget it - let's buy some more ships'

I pulled up to the server there were only 16
And I yelled in frustration as it crashed and blue screened
I looked at my verse
I was finally free
To sell off my farm and be a whale of SC

**PAAAARP**

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

craptown posted:

Now, this is a story all about how
My verse got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
just come right in
I'll tell you how I became a whale of star citizen

In the 4th Stimpire born and raised,
On an alpha was where i spent most of my days
Buggin out crashin' and bashin' vanduul
All postin' my delusions in a reddit cesspool
When a couple of goons, they were up to no good
Started shitposting in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and the mods got scared
And said "don't let Derek's trolls fool you this is not vaporware"

I bought into the ship sales day after day
Then they said an unmelt system was on its way
All my credits were there but the system was broken,
Gotta buy back with cash, 'cos there's only one token

Million mile high club, yo this is bad
Drinking hairy roberts out of a champagne glass
Is this what wing commanders of SC living like?
PAAAARP this might be alright.

But wait i hear they're toxic, spergy, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
When i get there i'll see
I hope they're prepared for another whale in SC

Well, i asked a question "when's SM coming out?"
Chris became annoyed and began to pout
"Star Marine was just a game mode
With 2.0 it's always been here"
He sprang with quickness to the UK, disappeared

I went to r/starcitizen and it became clear
The backers lost patience, kept getting hosed in the rear
If anything I could say CIG's starting to slip
But i thought 'Nah, forget it - let's buy some more ships'

I pulled up to the server there were only 16
And I yelled in frustration as it crashed and blue screened
I looked at my verse
I was finally free
To sell off my farm and be a whale of SC

**PAAAARP**

Song of the year

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Loud Fart posted:

What is the technical reason behind the lovely animations and retarded ship physics in this disaster? Is it missing/poor coding? Haven't people been able to to play in Arena Commander and the PU for some time, and it's still like this?

Is this even fixable?

I'm sorry but I think you'll find this is a perfectly reasonably level of progress for a game four years into development. Sure we're not technically only in alpha because of marketing and most of what CIG wants to do is pretty much impossible according to their Senior Technical Director. And sure the game is a year past the original release date, has had core promises cut, and much of the gameplay still isn't even in the conceptual stage.

But everything is fine.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

AP posted:

That's 3 separate bugs in 15 seconds and all the bloke was trying to do was pull a gun out and walk down some stairs.

So what you're saying is that its preforming better than expected?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm sorry but I think you'll find this is a perfectly reasonably level of progress for a game four years into development. Sure we're not technically only in alpha because of marketing and most of what CIG wants to do is pretty much impossible according to their Senior Technical Director. And sure the game is a year past the original release date, has had core promises cut, and much of the gameplay still isn't even in the conceptual stage.

But everything is fine.

ok....DEREK SMART

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

That's 3 separate bugs in 15 seconds and all the bloke was trying to do was pull a gun out and walk down some stairs.

lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I don't know whether to thank you because this looks amazing or be mad at you because now I'll never get caught up on both threads!

I had wondered where your av came from, that explains it! Very nice, by the way!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

One of my favorite fictional currencies would have to be the C-Bill from the Mechwarrior universe. When the Asimov Foundation esq collapse of the government/resulting military fallout took its toll on the galaxy's infrastructure the ability to communicate between worlds was maintained by a neutral party and the amount of data that could be transmitted was utilized as a the economic standard of the inner sphere.

It's good stuff and, given how communication works in the SC universe, I thought it would have been a good system there too.

But I guess it makes more sense to back the value of the credit against the US dollar.

Yeah c-bills makes a ton of sense. It's yet another example of making a universe interesting and varied instead of handwaving it away as generic sci-fi bullshit.

I feel bad for Dave Haddock. By all accounts he works his rear end off and he seems like an awesome guy, but I can't help but imagine how much of his writing ends up tossed in the trash thanks to Roberts.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Sq 42 Soundtrack confirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_E7WdhqotQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0KO6-j9ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1uKIA7qjgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTR8Za6co4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2rf54hn6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibi8m_fkW_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH04kMBuqYw

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Live shows are always comedy gold, if only for the ability to enrage the entire twitch chat.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Those awesome animated GIFs that AP posted show this. The ships STILL have no mass or inertia. Like, at all - they just jank around. It's awful.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, there is some conservation of momentum evident with a hard body collision, but it doesn't seem to have been adjusted. I'm not directly contradicting you, but the ship that blats another ship off the pad is showing some imparted energy.

My favourite is the one that pauses in the middle of a collision, because the engine has to go 'poo poo, more things to handle'.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

They're trying to build a fortress on a foundation of quicksand.

I think someone talented and with experience could extend it. Suffice to say they're hosed.

Re: space currency

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Triganic_Pu
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Ningi

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 29, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Daztek posted:

One single-use Store Credit Buyback per ATV

Citizens up in arms, today is a good week for CIG :allears:

Ben says:

quote:

Hey guys! I'm sorry for the trouble. We will absolutely change this system, it's just going to take a little work. We've spoken to the web team and there's not an option for just turning on store credit with the current design... so it'll take a little thinking and a new build to make right. (I know you've already figured this out, but there does need to be some balance; perhaps a limited number of times you can unmelt a particular package, or a limited number of unmelts per month. We'll figure it out and report once it's decided!)

Solution? NONE OF THAT JACK!

One unmelt, that's it. Forever.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Eonwe posted:

Literally nothing would make me happier

Booblord Zagats posted:

I never even considered that. Holy gently caress
It's unethical in the extreme, but so is CIG's claim of "open development" when they won't even provide a schedule for deliverables and will drop features and not bother telling anyone about it until they're asked so many times that it becomes "annoying."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tindahbawx posted:

Can someone tell me why exactly these guys need to have so many god drat studios? I've been reading through the thread, on and off, and I've got the impression that they've got something ridiculous like 8 studios located in various parts of the world?

8? Surely you jest.

Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA <– The one is interesting. It is found on BBB, but is not in the CA Secretary Of State dB records
Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
Foundry 42 Limited, UK
Foundry 42, Germany
Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
Twin Bros, Germany

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Two more additions to the soundtrack, including Ben's Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss7q8bTDskU

and

Sandi's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwxJqZaMx7k

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Kins posted:

To be fair, The Witcher was made in Poland, which has a lower cost of living than friggin' LA, Austin and Manchester.
CD Projekt could have been on the loving moon and still made their game cheaper than Chris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Scruffpuff posted:

You have to remember that "space" is just a giant level with the land and water unticked and the gravity set to 0. The ships have no global gravity to base mass with and slide off platforms as a result, even if you cheat the weight to tons. Which means heavy objects hitting heavier objects in zero g.

Add that to a physics engine that expects land. They likely used the VTOL vehicle model as a starting point, it needs a land mass to push off from.
Remember the overall rules of how a vehicle moves is set in an XML file which is then set constraints via the in engine editor. One can override the other in bizzare ways.

Also when something gets destroyed the engine swaps over to the damaged model, which is a separate entity and from the looks doesn't properly inherit momentum from it's parent or even the global physics and drops like a stone. It might be reverting back to the default gravity settings.

Now if they are trying to do modular damage you have to remember a ship is chunks of hit boxes in a cluster, you can imagine what is happening when the engine suddenly has a object that is both obeying and disobeying gravity.

• Locked thread